News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recent Acquisitions

Started by DinoToyForum, July 28, 2018, 12:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLMjp

Merry Christmas everyone! I hope you are doing very well!
Me personally I´m doing very well, since I got these goodies:

Faelrin

avatar_MLMjp @MLMjp Congrats with that great haul there. Haha we both got that legacy 6 pack around the same time too.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Loon

For Christmas I got this Lego Creator Mythical Creatures set and using some similar constructions to the other builds, such as the legs and arms, I made a Bix from Dinotopia:

DragonRider02

Christmas Gift from my aunt-CollectA Dimetrodon! I really like colors and shape of the sail of this guy.

suspsy

Quote from: Loon on December 26, 2018, 07:24:54 PM
For Christmas I got this Lego Creator Mythical Creatures set and using some similar constructions to the other builds, such as the legs and arms, I made a Bix from Dinotopia:

Nice!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Shonisaurus

avatar_DragonRider02 @DragonRider02 Nice addition to your collection. The dimetrodon of Collecta 2017 is a very cool figure.

AcroSauroTaurus

My Christmas Aquisitions:

Jurassic World Suchomimus from a friend, and I got the mini Pachyrhinosaurus for myself.

From my parents.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Shonisaurus

avatar_AcroSauroTaurus @AcroSauroTaurus You have collected a varied assortment of prehistoric animals. My congratulations.

Libraraptor

My wife gave me - among other non-dinosaur things - this little Ornithopod friend for Christmas. It´s hollow and squeaks when you press it. I like the vivid pose. Reminds me of William Stout drawings. Can´t help but thinking it´s a knock-off or something, but I never have seen such a figure before. Who has an idea for the possible species? Iguanodon? Muttaburrasaurus?

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Libraraptor on December 28, 2018, 05:40:59 PM

My wife gave me - among other non-dinosaur things - this little Ornithopod friend for Christmas. It´s hollow and squeaks when you press it. I like the vivid pose. Reminds me of William Stout drawings. Can´t help but thinking it´s a knock-off or something, but I never have seen such a figure before. Who has an idea for the possible species? Iguanodon? Muttaburrasaurus?

That's a knock-off of the CollectA Muttaburrasaurus.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Gothmog the Baryonyx

There's lots of nice recent acquisitions in this thread, congrats to all. (As a side note, I didn't realise that Battat Styracosaurus was actually that small - I mean I know it should be since it's pretty small for a Ceratopsid, but still).

No photos just yet, but I have a few things. Only thing for Christmas was a JP-knock-off Lego-knock-off dinos including a Stegosaurus which was labelled "spike dragon".
Other than that I received a lovely little package from DeJankins (once I ransomed it from the b Customs) including the Bullyland Chalicotherium (which was the reason for the order), Carnegie Caudipteryx (which I've been after for over a year), Carnegie Cryolophosaurus and Kinto Favorite Pachycephalosaurus.
I have also bought three of Safari Ltd's 2019 figures (the Camarasaurus, Citipati & Prestosuchus), and a few other things too.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Libraraptor

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on December 28, 2018, 05:57:22 PM
Quote from: Libraraptor on December 28, 2018, 05:40:59 PM

That's a knock-off of the CollectA Muttaburrasaurus.

This one is taller and the Pose is quite different.  While this one seems to scream at something, defending itself, the CollectA version seems to stroll around peacefully...

Sim

avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx: I'm happy to hear you managed to get the Bullyland Chalicotherium from DeJankins! :)

avatar_Libraraptor @Libraraptor: That figure looks a lot like the Camptosaurus in this set: http://dinotoyblog.com/2017/01/14/dinosaur-boxset-2-toyway/

MLMjp

Libraraptor

Quote from: Sim on December 28, 2018, 07:01:13 PM

avatar_Libraraptor @Libraraptor: That figure looks a lot like the Camptosaurus in this set: http://dinotoyblog.com/2017/01/14/dinosaur-boxset-2-toyway/

I was sure I had seen this before,  thank you!

I just ordered myself an AAoD Australovenator, Banjo,  to add some news to my museum exclusive section.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Sim on December 28, 2018, 07:01:13 PM
avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx: I'm happy to hear you managed to get the Bullyland Chalicotherium from DeJankins! :)
Thank you, both for this comment, and for the recommendation.

Mononykus

Hi all,

It has been a busy semester, so I haven't been very active here and have a bunch of stuff to show off, going back about 5 months or so.

Most recent is the Christmas eve arrival of the 24 PNSO minis from AcroMan. I really only wanted about 18 of these, but all 24 was a much better deal than buying them singly on Amazon. I have grouped them into subsets:

First, the non-ornithodirans:

A mix of interesting species, with the Odontochelys the standout favorite of this group. Overall, though the feet generally seem oversized in some of these, and several (Atopodentatus, Dakosaurus, Ectenosaurus) would work better supported on rods with bases.

I think I will put the rest of this post under spoiler tags so people don't need to wade through too many pictures if they don't want to.
Spoiler

The Pterosaurs

There are only 2, but the life-size Nemicolopterus is definitely a highlight. It is my 2nd favorite of all the new PNSO minis. It would be nice to have a larger Guidraco other than the ridiculously huge Collecta one (which, since I don't have it, makes this my first for both of these species).

The Ceratopsians

This batch was definitely Ceratopsian-heavy. They are all quite nice and well-detailed for such small figures, with decent paint jobs. The ones I most wanted were of course the new genera, Liaoceratops and Spinops. But the Chasmosaurus is also a new species, as it represents the nearly brow-horn-less C. belli rather than the more commonly done C. russelli.

The next picture shows all of the non-ceratopsian ornithischians and all of the sauropodomorphs in this batch of minis ;)

So outside of the ceratopsians, ornithischians were not represented well in terms of quantity, but they made up for it in quality. I love this little guy, and it is an important species, since it represents one of the few 'feathered' ornithischians and is the only decent Heterdontosaur toy (my only other Heterodontosaur is the Shapeways Pegomastax). This is my favorite of the new PNSO figures.

Non-coelurosaur Theropods:

Like with any toy line, theropods were well represented, but at least most of these were unusual species, including 2 abelisaurs, neither of which was Carnotaurus. I'm not too fond of the Indosuchus's pose. Interestingly, they went full-feathered for the Concavenator, with body feathers, arm quills, and tail tuft. The evidence for feathers in this species is equivocal at best, as the supposed feather attachment points on the ulna have been interpreted as muscle attachment instead. Still, its not impossible for this species to be feathered if the filaments in ornithischians and pterosaurs are homologous.

Coelurosaurs:

Another good choice of species, with 2 long-snouted Tyrannosaurs (I still want a larger Qianzhousaurus, however) and a bunch of small feathered varieties. I don't care for the opisthotonic posture (death pose) of the Sinosauropteryx, which is meant to represent a living animal, but otherwise it is nice. The Anchiornis is wonderful, and the Yi is the weakest of the bunch: its head is generic small theropod rather than the actual, weird, curved snout, and the tree branch that helps support it partly takes on the orange coloration of the animal itself. The colors are just too bright as well. The little Kaiyodo Yi (about the same size) is much better.

That's it for PNSO, but I have been a busy shopper, so there is more.
Favorite Baryonyx and Neovenator:

I like Favorite's style (if trending a bit too shrink-wrapped), and these are both nice additions. They both represent my favorite (no pun intended) toy representations of these species. Its too bad that many of their most interesting species are so hard to get.

Obscurus Asilisaurus:

This is my first figure from this line, and my second Silesaurid (my first is further down in this post).

Favorite Resin "Troodon":

I guess this should probably be called Stenonychosaurus now. A decent figure of a species rarely done well, but probably should have longer arm feathers?

Next up are two figures from Paleozoo in Australia. These are 3D printed in colored gypsum (what Shapeways calls 'Sandstone')
Paleozoo Hallucigenia:

A large, modern representation of this species, about 5x life size.

Paleozoo Mandageria fairfaxi:

This close relative of  the lobe-finned Eusthenopteron is an awesome model, a true beauty. About 1/8 scale.

I commissioned 3 new figures from Jetoar this summer, and these are them. As you can see, I was on a Triassic stem-archosaur kick.
Paleocreatures Garjainia:

An erythosuchid, one of the first big carnivores after the Permian extinction. They seem to be mostly head. 1/15 scale.

Paleocreatures Shringasaurus:

A recently described herbivore with horns of its head, convergent with ceratopsians, bovids, etc. Appear to be part of a recently erected clade called Allokotosauria. 1/21 scale

Paleocreatures Vancleavea:

An elongated aquatic reptile with heavy armor and a blunt snout, native to my state of Arizona (Chinle formation). Probably fairly closely related to Archosaurs proper. 1/10 scale.
Seriously, if you want a species the toy companies are unlikely to ever make, just drop Jetoar a line. His prices are quite reasonable for such custom figures and he does a nice job.

Finally, I commissioned 3 pieces from Vitor Silva, a Brazilian sculptor that specialized in South American species. Each piece is sculpted individually, rather than cast, so it will be unique, and you can request any customizations. He has a catalog of species he's done, but could also do something unique. I requested 3 species that helped to fill gaps in my collection, particularly as it pertains to my dinosaur course. Two of these were Parareptiles since this rather diverse group is poorly represented, with just Scutosaurus seen in the toy market. The third was a dinosauromorph (stem dinosaur).
Mesosaurus:

An amazing model. All those tiny teeth are something to behold. 1/3 scale.

Candelaria barbouri:

Not an especially exciting-looking species, being rather lizard-like, but it represents another body form for parareptiles and is a reasonable approximation of a basal early reptile. Its not like we will ever see this in toy form. About 2/3 scale.

Sacisaurus:

A member of the Silesauridae, a group of stem? dinosaurs that were quadrupedal and herbivorous. They are generally considered the sister group to the Dinosauria, but one or two phylogenetic studies have recovered them as basal ornithischians. I commissioned this one before I found out about the Obscurus figure, but this is still the much better representation of this group (and much pricier). About 1/6 scale.

It took a long time (close to a year I think) to get these models from Vitor because he was backed up with other commissions (any one here?) and makes them individually, but he was very good at providing monthly updates so I knew I wasn't forgotten. He has some really cool stuff on his website that I didn't know I needed until I saw it. Now to find a way to afford it all.

[close]
And that is the highlights of 6 months of goodies. There were regular dinosaur toys from Collecta and so on as well, but you have all no doubt seen other pictures of those.

RobinGoodfellow

avatar_Mononykus @Mononykus  A group of really fabulous figures  8)  Congrats  ^-^

(Did you know of IluzerArt's  from Brasil too?  http://iluzerarts.blogspot.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvtu3RZRHrY

Loon

avatar_Mononykus @Mononykus how much did that pnso set from acro-man run you?

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Loon on December 29, 2018, 07:57:57 AM
avatar_Mononykus @Mononykus how much did that pnso set from acro-man run you?

acro-man has a proper thread for that:

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5447.0

"  NEW 24 minis set: $80 plus shipping
OLD 24 minis set: $75 plus shipping
Complete set of 48 minis: $150 plus shipping
Shipping cost: $20-25  "

-

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: