News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - new for 2019

Started by Kayakasaurus, July 31, 2018, 06:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jose S.M.

Quote from: PhilSauria on November 10, 2018, 10:40:37 PM
Did a comparison image to better see the approach taken on the same animal by two different artists.

Thanks for this comparison. I actually like them both, the Safari one has been getting some bad comments for the pose and approach but I see that a swimming pose is useful to avoid all the problems that came with not knowing how Spinosaurus moved exactly.

suspsy

Schleich's been making serious effort lately, but the Safari version still wins.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on November 11, 2018, 02:50:12 AM
Schleich's been making serious effort lately, but the Safari version still wins.

They are awfully close in quality and I will pick up both. Good thing they are two different poses (swimming and resting stance). Also, I am curious to see how the final colored REBOR Spino turns out. I think they got the proportions right this time around.

Minmiminime

Truly, our Spino cup runneth over ;D Safari, Schleich surprisingly knocking it out of the park, forthcoming stunners by Rebor and PNSO, after Favorite and CollectA in the last couple of years!! I eagerly await Ibrahim's latest paper, I'm hoping it'll provide some explanation regarding land locomotion, that'll help artists a lot. In the meantime we're absolutely spoiled for choice 😁
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Shonisaurus

Honestly I really like the scientifically updated spinosaurus version of Doug Watson is a supreme work of art but the version of Vlad Konstantinov by Schleich subjugates me and I like maybe more although it is a simple appreciation of mine since Doug's Safari spinosaurus is a very finished version of said dinosaur and a touch of elegant painting and the most important thing for me is that it does not have articulated jaws is a supreme work of art that of Vlad but I am left with other dinosaur figures of this year's Safari as their magnificent camarasaurus , his carnotaurus for me the best done to date, his styracosaurus that for me surpasses that of other companies or other figures that would be very long to list as Doug's pteranodon which is a masterpiece of art or prestosuchus.

In my case I know that it is reprehensible in relation to the spinosaurus I like Schleich more but it is an appreciation of mine the defects that this sculpture has I have to recognize are the following that has an articulated jaw (I am not a fan of the jaws or parts of the body articulated) and is not so finished with Doug's spinosaurus but for me it is a paleoartistic interpretation that fascinates me more. What is said is reprehensible but it is an appreciation of mine. Schleich's spinosaurus is the best work to date made of theropod by this brand.

Shonisaurus

tanystropheus

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 11, 2018, 10:37:24 AM
...Doug Watson is a supreme work of art...

We are all very impressed with his contributions. I hope he continues the tradition of releasing at least one ceratopsian a year.

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Jose S.M. on November 10, 2018, 11:38:58 PM
Quote from: PhilSauria on November 10, 2018, 10:40:37 PM
Did a comparison image to better see the approach taken on the same animal by two different artists.

Thanks for this comparison. I actually like them both, the Safari one has been getting some bad comments for the pose and approach but I see that a swimming pose is useful to avoid all the problems that came with not knowing how Spinosaurus moved exactly.

It would have been better if Safari put the figure on a small base, I think it will help read that it's supposed to be swimming. All the non-dino fans friends that I have shown the photo to, their immediate question was " is it supposed to be injured with a broken leg?" ;D

Blade-of-the-Moon

Yeah the pose is a bit hard to read.  It's tough to see where the joints are so "broken" ..I can see where they get that. It's just sorta awkward in appearance.   it might be the photo too, I'm hoping it looks more like a croc's legs when floating.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 15, 2018, 12:51:46 AM
Yeah the pose is a bit hard to read.  It's tough to see where the joints are so "broken" ..I can see where they get that. It's just sorta awkward in appearance.   it might be the photo too, I'm hoping it looks more like a croc's legs when floating.

I'm just going to bypass all the hoopla and put a cape on my Space Spino Spinosaurus!

Shonisaurus

What is a pity that we still have to wait until the end of January or early February to have Safari 2019 dinosaurs available in European online stores that wait kills me and I can assure you that for reasons of economic savings only buy that online store that has the eleven dinosaur figures of Safari 2019 (including the tyrannosaurus). In my case I do not intend to buy loose figures in advance since, as the saying goes, "the collar is more expensive than the dog", that is, it costs you at exorbitant prices such beauties if you buy them one at a time with the shipping costs of each figure They cost a lot more than buying them all at once.

Honestly I also really like the spinosaurus and stegosaurus although perhaps the most attractive of this last batch is perhaps the pteranodon (I am fascinated by pterosaurs) and I have to admit that the pteranodon of Safari is perhaps the best that has been done by a brand of toys to date.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Everything Dinosaur has the Coelodonta figure in. Apparently the Citipati is due in a month or so.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Shonisaurus

By the way as commented by everythingdinosaur, all the figures of prehistoric animals of Safari 2019 will be available on EverythingDinosaur in the spring of 2019 so I see that we will have to wait for quite some time before all these beauties of Doug Watson are available and the Safari tyrannosaurus in the online market of dinosaur stores in Europe. I sincerely prefer to wait for spring to buy all the figures together, it is more practical and thrifty on my part.

PhilSauria

Spinosaurus 2018 / 2019 - contenders for our cash update (provided that Rebor prototype goes the distance).

suspsy

I would rank the Safari one first, followed by the Schleich, and then the Rebor one last.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

stargatedalek

I'm conflicted.

Safari has the most pleasant detail work and is the only one with an accurate sail, but the pose of the legs bothers me. It's not that it's swimming, it's that the ankles aren't bent which makes the legs overall look almost humanoid. It also has the most crocodile influence of all of them, and that is a major pet peeve of mine.

Schleich looses points for the sail, but the tail doesn't look like it was literally transplanted from a crocodile. It's general proportions are awfully thin and the snout shape could have used some more refinement.

REBOR gets the sail the worst of all of them, but I can hardly blame them when everyone's been jumping on that bandwagon. It has much bulkier general proportions than the others and though it has some scutes along the neck and flanks the crocodile imagery is significantly toned down. It's skull probably has the best detail too.

Safari wins in application, whereas Schleich wins in design, yet overall I'm actually giving my vote to REBOR with their pleasant balance of the two (and non-crocodile tail). Two years ago I would have never expected either Schleich or REBOR to pose a real contender to Safari limited.

LeapingLaelaps

I honestly think the Schleich one is my favorite (wow, never thought I'd say that :P).

Minmiminime

It's great seeing them compared like that! We have been spoiled for choice ;D One for accuracy, one for stunning, lifelike detail, and one incredibly surprising wildcard which, although not very accurate, brilliantly captures the essence of Spinosaurus!
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Shonisaurus

Honestly my favorite spinosaurus is Schleich followed closely by the Safari and then by the Rebor (the latter is still the figure in formation) but with a few details as the legs less refined from my honest point of view. Anyway all new versions of spinosaurus (Safari and other brands) are welcome in my collection.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Minmiminime on November 17, 2018, 09:02:50 AM
It's great seeing them compared like that! We have been spoiled for choice ;D One for accuracy, one for stunning, lifelike detail, and one incredibly surprising wildcard which, although not very accurate, brilliantly captures the essence of Spinosaurus!
I'm not sure how any are less accurate than the others. Safari and Schleich went with overly speculative crocodile influence, and REBOR went with overly speculative(/derivative) sail thinness.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: