News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Greatest dinosaur toys of all time

Started by Tea rex, September 16, 2018, 06:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tea rex

My son and I. We are not big collectors of dinosaur toys. We collect only the Doug Watson's sculpts for Safari Ltd. This way we don't end with hundreds of toys with no place to put them or show them. But mostly we collect them because we really like them. We think they are GREAT. They don't look like monsters. They don't look like mutant lizards or zombie birds. They feel right in my 4 year old hands, and in my bigger hands. The sculptor shows an unusual interest in accuracy. They are fantastic conversation pieces between us. We count the fingers and toes. Compare the frills. We discriminate between herbivores and carnivores. Wonder about their evolution. We watch documentaries with them in our hands for comparison. We spend a lot of time with them. So, we treasure them. They look much better than many expensive models out there. And, for now, they are the only dinosaur toys/models we own (with the exception of a Schleich Tyrannosaurus rex and a Carnotaurus, which we also like because that soft material, manufacturing quality and overall playabillity --and a good example of inaccurate toys, with their manus and heads and all. But, well, they are not great).

Reading this forum and blog I got interested in something else. Some other toys and models look really good. To me, the ones that appear really great (appear, because I don't own them), even if they are expensive, inaccurate or difficult to find are:

• The Carnegie Wooly Mammoth
  • The Favorite Oldies (or something like that) Iguanodon (just like the Crystal Palace iguanodon)
  • The Papo Tyrannosaurus rex (brown, sitting --the other one is ridiculously expensive, so it is not that great, and this one looks like the Jurassic Park "when dinosaurs ruled the Earth" T-rex)
  • The Sideshow Apatosaurus (really expensive, but I think it is extraordinary)
  • The Invicta sauropods (and just the sauropods)

What do you think are the greatest dinosaur toys/models of all time?

RobinGoodfellow

Sorry but your request sounds quite useless to me.
The "greatest" from what point of view ?
As your list, where you mixed up figures from totally different categories..

Carnegie Mammoth is a really great figure ( but NOT a dinosaur at all) to be a PVC model.
New EoFauna ancient elephants figures are way better ( https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/albums/72157687466904774 ).
But Paleocraft Mammoth is even better; but it's from a total different category ( a resin kit, usually professionally assembled and painted: http://www.paleocraft.com/images/mamm-fin8.jpg )

The Favorite Oldies are all great; they are old depictions of dinosaurs.
But they aren't toy but resin models ( and even long discontinued - few collectors have never seen one in person-); usually sold for high prices ( https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/44474404831/in/album-72157659995318693/ )

Papo "sitting" brown Rex is nothing but a Jurassic Park clone; yes, it's impressive for a newbie collector ( a lot of us started collecting with Papo figures - me too -) but even inaccurate.

The Sideshow Apatosaurus is magnificent (unfortunately I don't have one  :'(  ) but it's not a toy at all: it's a limited edition resin model; it's really a big, fragile and expensive figure and a collector need money and space to buy it.

The Invictas are ALL great figures; they are the way prehistoric animals were seen in '80 so they are old depictions. If you like vintage figures also you like Invicta.

So a request about "the greatest dinosaur toy/model of all time" from totally different categories does not make much sense to me...
Sorry.
:)

IrritatorRaji

First of all, welcome to the forum! It's so neat that you and your son collect together, and the fact that you collect Safari figures shows that you have great taste ;)

Though, in regards to what is considered "the best"... I suppose that's very subjective. Me personally, I think the Beasts Of The Mesozoic raptors are the best. Articulated, feathered, and just very beautiful overall. Not to mention the fact that they're all so varied.

I also think the old Kenner figures are up there with the best too, especially the Red Red, Bull Rex, and Thrasher Rex. Each are very distinct and have their own fun play features, but aside from that they're absolutely massive and capture that formidable feeling of the Jurassic Park Tyrannosaurs.

RobinGoodfellow

..IrritatorRaji showed exactly what I tried to explain..

On DTF there are very different kinds of collectors: Jurassic Park/World collectors, articulated figures collectors, resin figures collectors, vintage models collectors, toys collectors, specialized collectors (only Tyrannosaurus or Sauropods or others ), Japan figures collectors, "completist" collectors and so on.

Everyone with a personal idea about the "best" figure of all time.  ;)

The request is too generalist and wide.

^-^

IrritatorRaji

I don't feel that this topic is "too wide" or lacking in sense, Tea Rex only asks what users think are the best toys/models, they're asking for forum members opinions. Yes, it's subjective. Yes, the answers will be broad. But given that OP's best figures were also broad and varied implies that they know or want varied opinions.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on September 16, 2018, 08:55:18 AM
I don't feel that this topic is "too wide" or lacking in sense, Tea Rex only asks what users think are the best toys/models, they're asking for forum members opinions. Yes, it's subjective. Yes, the answers will be broad. But given that OP's best figures were also broad and varied implies that they know or want varied opinions.

..yes, of course, but without a category (pvc toys, action figures, high-end models, JP/JW figures etc..) the only answer could be: the best figure is the one I like the most..
It's like asking: what's the best song ever written ? or the best book? or the best painting or movie?
Too wide (just my opinion).
Regards
^-^

P.S: As many collectors do, also I have my "best model" group ( https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/albums/72157672043244856 ). Simply I stopped to update the "list" due to what I said.. it's more than 80 figures now.. simply too wide..

Shonisaurus

Very good toys of all time as it has been commented is very generic, but for example they are good as far as dinosaurs are concerned if we except those of Safari / Carnegie:

The Collecta dinosaurs of the last five years.

The dinosaurs and prehistoric animals of Battat. Some can be found second hand by eBay for example.

The dinosaurs of Papo there are some that are scientists like the apatosaurus, tupuxuara and carnotaurus based on works of Sideshow.

There are very good figures of Collecta dinosaurs such as this year's ceratosaurus, the mapusaurus 2018.

Favorite prehistoric animals are also very good and the same can be said of Kaiyodo.

I hope your doubts resolve something.

Tea rex

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on September 16, 2018, 08:27:43 AM
Though, in regards to what is considered "the best"... I suppose that's very subjective. Me personally, I think the Beasts Of The Mesozoic raptors are the best. Articulated, feathered, and just very beautiful overall. Not to mention the fact that they're all so varied.

Yes. I forgot about this ones! It is an epic toy line with that articulation. The Dromaeosaurus looks fine. And the Tsagaan. And that blue-tongued Acheroraptor. The one I don't like is the Balaur. I think it is modelled too much like the rest of the line. Maybe with a more bird-like head I would like it more.

And now I remember that PNSO has a really big Huanghetitan that looks fine in pictures. I saw a PNSO hippo once, and it was very well done.

[/quote]

Tea rex

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on September 16, 2018, 09:25:37 AM

..yes, of course, but without a category (pvc toys, action figures, high-end models, JP/JW figures etc..) the only answer could be: the best figure is the one I like the most..
It's like asking: what's the best song ever written ? or the best book? or the best painting or movie?

Yes, that's the point. It is just like asking what's the best song ever written. For you, of course. That way, if I (or anyone else) don't know the song, I look for it and now I know a new song, which is possibly a good one. I find this useful.

Oh. And it is also useful to describe why a toy is a great toy. For example, when I said that the Papo T-rex is great, I was aware of it being heavily inspired in the Jurassic park movie; also that it is very inaccurate. But this toy in particular is now very ingrained in the popular culture. It is used in advertisements, children books, as reference in dinosaur toy reviews, etc. It is everyware. People like it. Maybe one day it will be the equivalent of the Crystal Palace Iguanodon. A great toy. To me.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Tea rex on September 16, 2018, 10:50:55 AM

Yes, that's the point. It is just like asking what's the best song ever written. For you, of course. That way, if I (or anyone else) don't know the song, I look for it and now I know a new song, which is possibly a good one. I find this useful.

Oh. And it is also useful to describe why a toy is a great toy. For example, when I said that the Papo T-rex is great, I was aware of it being heavily inspired in the Jurassic park movie; also that it is very inaccurate. But this toy in particular is now very ingrained in the popular culture. It is used in advertisements, children books, as reference in dinosaur toy reviews, etc. It is everyware. People like it. Maybe one day it will be the equivalent of the Crystal Palace Iguanodon. A great toy. To me.

As I wrote, that's my list: https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/albums/72157672043244856
It's simply too long to say why..
:)

DinoToyForum

Welcome T @Tea rex

Great question! Of course, there's no objective answer, but I see your question as a wonderful opportunity to discuss our personal criteria for what makes a toy truly "great". So, ignore Robingoodfellow's curmudgeonly party-pooping. If he doesn't want to discuss what he thinks makes a dinosaur toy great, on this forum dedicated to discussing dinosaur toys, then he can just ignore this thread. avatar_RobinGoodfellow @RobinGoodfellow, are you sure you're on the right forum!? :P

the only answer could be: the best figure is the one I like the most..
Too wide (just my opinion).

I take the counter-position. Indeed, expert critics in all those fields absolutely have concluded what, in their opinion, are the greatest songs, books, paintings, movies, of all time. And not just based on "ones they like the most". For example: https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/best-movies/

All of those questions lead to extremely interesting discussions. Sure, when it comes to dinosaur toys we will disagree. But we are the experts in this field, so if anyone is capable of reaching some consensus, it is us. I'm extremely interested to hear about the whys and wherefores as much as I am interested to seeing everyone's lists.

One of my personal criteria for considering this question is that a truly great figure should be a game-changer when considered in its historical context. This is why my "greatest dinosaur toys ever" list will be different from my "favourite dinosaur toys" list (which I have shared elsewhere).

I'm going to have a chew on this before I offer my opinion. :)

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: dinotoyforum on September 16, 2018, 12:11:05 PM
Robingoodfellow's curmudgeonly party-pooping.

What is a "curmudgeonly party-pooping" ?
I'm trying to translate on-line without success.
Please, not all of us are native english speakers... (I'm not)  :P

About movie "list", just go to IMDB or Rotten Tomatoes to see totally different critical reviews..

I'm not saying to avoid discussion: I'm saying that's a too wide argument; it's different  :P

DinoToyForum

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on September 16, 2018, 01:19:24 PM

About movie "list", just go to IMDB or Rotten Tomatoes to see totally different critical reviews..

I'm not saying to avoid discussion: I'm saying that's a too wide argument; it's different  :P

Then let the discussion commence!  ^-^
--
I'm using the words tongue in cheek, so they sound insulting when translated out of context, but that was not my intention. :P :)
'Party Pooper': a person who throws gloom over social enjoyment. Maybe "guastafeste" in Italian?
'Curmudgeon': a grumpy (and frequently old) person with stubborn ideas or opinions. Maybe "musone" in Italian?

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: dinotoyforum on September 16, 2018, 04:11:32 PM

--
I'm using the words tongue in cheek, so they sound insulting when translated out of context, but that was not my intention. :P :)
'Party Pooper': a person who throws gloom over social enjoyment. Maybe "guastafeste" in Italian?
'Curmudgeon': a grumpy (and frequently old) person with stubborn ideas or opinions. Maybe "musone" in Italian?

Don't worry, I'm not feeling insulted at all. I was just curious about an unusual word.  :)

I'm happy that the discussion goes on.  ^-^

DinoToyForum

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on September 16, 2018, 04:14:29 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on September 16, 2018, 04:11:32 PM

--

Don't worry, I'm not feeling insulted at all. I was just curious about an unusual word.  :)

I'm happy that the discussion goes on.  ^-^

I'm glad on both counts. 8)

Faelrin

I mean yeah this topic can only be subjective, but it will be interesting to see what members might consider the best. In my case my best are going to be the ones I was exposed to growing up, or much recently, etc. I was born in the early 90's, so I pretty much missed out on anything before that. In other words the Kenner Jurassic Park (Lost World) toys were a good part of my childhood for a few years at least. Though as an adult now and doing some heavy research I have to say they set quite a precedent with their toys, by having a large assortment of creatures, and having them in scale mostly. On top of that many of their figures can and have stood the test of time in their quality sculpts, durability, etc. No doubt they played heavy inspiration into the Mattel Jurassic line (while new, I do heavily enjoy them, and I think they will stand the test of time, as did Kenner's before them).

Of course the (modern) Safari Ltd figures are definitely up there for me, even though I was introduced to them quite late. I might not have been exposed to them at all if it were not for being on this very forum. In any case I do like how they have been trying to make them as up to date to the science as can allow. Their recent Feathered Tyrannosaurus, with its extensive feathering that is heavily debated now, is still a supreme figure in regards to its sculpt, and coloration. The Feathered Velociraptor (one I'm still behind on getting), is also the first figure (that I'm aware of) that is correctly feathered, not just by having primaries attached to second digit, but also in regards to the tail feathering being similar to Zhenyuanlong. My only issue with it, is that it does not have lips, but no doubt it will hopefully inspire other companies to create properly done dromaeosaurids in the future.

And if not Safari Ltd's Feathered Velociraptor, then surely the Beasts of the Mesozoic raptor action figures will. While there may have been other highly articulated dinosaur figures in the past, there have been no extensive lines of highly articulated dinosaurs before such as this one, until now (at least to my knowledge). On top of that, there is a consistent sense of scale for the creatures (in their particular line). I can only wonder if they too served as some inspiration into Mattel's first/recent Jurassic line of figures (such as the Indoraptor), although they are not new to highly articulated action figures or collecters of them by any means.

I think it might be important to mention Papo's figures. While they may not be as scientifically sound as Safari Ltd's or CollectA's, their sculpts are top notch, and look more like statues, then toys (although Safari Ltd has been catching up to them if their 2019 figures are anything to go by, in terms of paintwork, aside from the previous years of many great highly detailed sculpts). They were the first static figures I was introduced to (from browsing JPToys), and while I'm still behind on getting any of them yet (I got into this collecting game late), I still favor their Allosaurus and Dimetrodon. They might have their issues, but they are still beautiful figures to me. Their JP knockoffs are pretty excellent and where the closest thing to having film accurate figures for the time.

And last but not least, Mattel's first ever line of Jurassic figures. I probably don't need to go over this one much more then I have, but they have done many firsts for this Jurassic collector, either this year, or going forward (next year's massive in scale Brachiosaurus for instance). For the first time I will be able to put together a near complete (between this year and next year's releases) collection of a representative of each species, from each film, is to be applauded. And not only that, but having them relatively to scale with each other, and as close to film accuracy in terms of their sculpts (not necessarily paintwork), that being toys allows them. There was no need for them to create a wonderful Spinosaurus from a film that's 15 years old now, or even figures of the characters from the first film, but they did. And more than just those.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Faelrin on September 16, 2018, 06:10:58 PM
I mean yeah this topic can only be subjective, but it will be interesting to see what members might consider the best. In my case my best are going to be the ones I was exposed to growing up, or much recently, etc. I was born in the early 90's, so I pretty much missed out on anything before that. In other words the Kenner Jurassic Park (Lost World) toys were a good part of my childhood for a few years at least. Though as an adult now and doing some heavy research I have to say they set quite a precedent with their toys, by having a large assortment of creatures, and having them in scale mostly. On top of that many of their figures can and have stood the test of time in their quality sculpts, durability, etc. No doubt they played heavy inspiration into the Mattel Jurassic line (while new, I do heavily enjoy them, and I think they will stand the test of time, as did Kenner's before them).

Of course the (modern) Safari Ltd figures are definitely up there for me, even though I was introduced to them quite late. I might not have been exposed to them at all if it were not for being on this very forum. In any case I do like how they have been trying to make them as up to date to the science as can allow. Their recent Feathered Tyrannosaurus, with its extensive feathering that is heavily debated now, is still a supreme figure in regards to its sculpt, and coloration. The Feathered Velociraptor (one I'm still behind on getting), is also the first figure (that I'm aware of) that is correctly feathered, not just by having primaries attached to second digit, but also in regards to the tail feathering being similar to Zhenyuanlong. My only issue with it, is that it does not have lips, but no doubt it will hopefully inspire other companies to create properly done dromaeosaurids in the future.

And if not Safari Ltd's Feathered Velociraptor, then surely the Beasts of the Mesozoic raptor action figures will. While there may have been other highly articulated dinosaur figures in the past, there have been no extensive lines of highly articulated dinosaurs before such as this one, until now (at least to my knowledge). On top of that, there is a consistent sense of scale for the creatures (in their particular line). I can only wonder if they too served as some inspiration into Mattel's first/recent Jurassic line of figures (such as the Indoraptor), although they are not new to highly articulated action figures or collecters of them by any means.

I think it might be important to mention Papo's figures. While they may not be as scientifically sound as Safari Ltd's or CollectA's, their sculpts are top notch, and look more like statues, then toys (although Safari Ltd has been catching up to them if their 2019 figures are anything to go by, in terms of paintwork, aside from the previous years of many great highly detailed sculpts). They were the first static figures I was introduced to (from browsing JPToys), and while I'm still behind on getting any of them yet (I got into this collecting game late), I still favor their Allosaurus and Dimetrodon. They might have their issues, but they are still beautiful figures to me. Their JP knockoffs are pretty excellent and where the closest thing to having film accurate figures for the time.

And last but not least, Mattel's first ever line of Jurassic figures. I probably don't need to go over this one much more then I have, but they have done many firsts for this Jurassic collector, either this year, or going forward (next year's massive in scale Brachiosaurus for instance). For the first time I will be able to put together a near complete (between this year and next year's releases) collection of a representative of each species, from each film, is to be applauded. And not only that, but having them relatively to scale with each other, and as close to film accuracy in terms of their sculpts (not necessarily paintwork), that being toys allows them. There was no need for them to create a wonderful Spinosaurus from a film that's 15 years old now, or even figures of the characters from the first film, but they did. And more than just those.

Not the best. The GREATEST! :))

Cretaceous Crab

For me, I have lots of "favorites" and what I consider the "greatest."

Childhood / Nostalgic: I was a '80s - '90s kid, so while I had many prehistoric toys over the years, there's a few that I would consider favorites / greats, at least for their time. The Dinoriders Protoceratops http://dinotoyblog.com/2010/09/07/protoceratops-tyco/ adorned my desk for many years (and now in adulthood, I am on the hunt for one currently!). And of course, with the release of the first Jurassic Park film, the little "water spitter" Dilophosaurus http://dinotoyblog.com/2010/07/07/dilophosaurus-other-one-jurassic-park-by-kenner/ was a beloved figure as well.

Beyond that, as everyone else has mentioned, its hard to pick out an absolute, all-time, "greatest" toy, without narrowing down the field to a particular species, brand or style. That said, there are a handful of figures I find myself returning to often when playing with the kids, or just having something to annoy my wife with while we sit on the couch to watch TV: The last versions of the Dan Russo Terra Battat Tyrannosaurus http://dinotoyblog.com/2015/09/29/tyrannosaurus-terra-series-by-battat/ and Acrocanthosaurus http://dinotoyblog.com/2015/08/07/acrocanthosaurus-terra-series-by-battat/, the Papo Dilophosaurus http://dinotoyblog.com/2014/06/29/dilophosaurus-papo/ and the CollectA Deluxe Spinosaurus http://dinotoyblog.com/2016/02/23/spinosaurus-deluxe-walker-by-collecta/.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Have we done an all-encompassing top ten poll yet?

There are lots of great dinosaur toys out there but the Battat Diplodocus is at the top of my list.

Also I'd say the Carnegie diplodocus, mammoth, miragaia, carnotaurus, Battat euoplocephalus, tyrannosaurus, maiasaura, Invicta lambeosaurus, and most of Doug's sculpts for Safari rank among the best as well.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Tea rex

From looking at the selection of forum members I added or modified the following toys/models to my list:

• The Carnegie Wooly Mammoth
  • The Favorite Dinosaur Oldies Iguanodon 1850
  • The Favorite Dinosaur Oldies Iguanodon 1950 (1)
  • The Papo Tyrannosaurus rex
  • The Sideshow Apatosaurus
  • The Invicta sauropods
  • Creative Beasts Dromaeosaurus albertensis (2)
  • CollectA Standard Spinosaurus - Walking (3)

(1) RobinGoodfellow
(2) IrritatorRaji, Faelrin
(3) LeviRawl

The reason I chose this new ones are:

The Favorite oldies models - they show different historical reconstructions of Iguanodon and the progress of the knowledge we have about this species (and they look really, really well done); The Creative Beasts Dromaeosaurus - I think it is a nice example of a very well designed line of articulated dromaeosaurids, and also an example of a modern dinosaur toy; and for the CollectA Spinosaurus - Because it depicts the 2014 historical reconstruction of Ibrahim et al. (I changed LeviRawl selection to the non-deluxe walking one because I prefer the smaller size and non-movable jaw).

As for Shonisaurus mention of the little Kaiyodos... they look very well done, but maybe they are too small. Do you have a particular figure that stands out for some reason?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: