News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari 2020 Hopes and Dreams

Started by Night Maw, September 30, 2018, 11:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Maw

After seeing the 2019 releases, I'm going to make my predictions/ 'realistic' wants for 2020. Half of the list is based upon Carnegie models that haven't received an update recently, as has been the trend for the past 2 years. I've also added a Smilodon to go with the recent mammal releases. I've also tried to represent each class of dinosaur as well, and added a new species discovered recently too, to make what I believe could be a believable list of releases.

1.   Protoceratops
2.   Borealopelta
3.   Corythosaurus 
4.   Dilophosaurus
5.   Pachycephalosaurus
6.   Plateosaurus
7.   Deinonychus
8.   Pterodaustro
9.   Ophthalmosaurus
10.   Cynognathus
11.   Smilodon
12.   Paraceratherium
13.   Ambulocetus

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Night Maw on September 30, 2018, 11:19:09 PM
After seeing the 2019 releases, I'm going to make my predictions/ 'realistic' wants for 2020. Half of the list is based upon Carnegie models that haven't received an update recently, as has been the trend for the past 2 years. I've also added a Smilodon to go with the recent mammal releases. I've also tried to represent each class of dinosaur as well, and added a new species discovered recently too, to make what I believe could be a believable list of releases.

1.   Protoceratops
2.   Borealopelta
3.   Corythosaurus 
4.   Dilophosaurus
5.   Pachycephalosaurus
6.   Plateosaurus
7.   Deinonychus
8.   Pterodaustro
9.   Ophthalmosaurus
10.   Cynognathus
11.   Smilodon
12.   Paraceratherium
13.   Ambulocetus

Honestly being realistic I would settle for one of the dinosaurs or prehistoric animals from the list you mentioned. I understand that they are updating all Carnegie and Safari figures.

Honestly if they were two it would be something extraordinary. I would stay with ophtalmosaurus and paraceratherium in my case.

suspsy

I honestly see no reason to make a new Smilodon; the old one is still perfectly fine. Ineed, it's one of the very best renditions of the world's most famous machairodont.

Utahraptor is one more old Safari toy desperately in need of a replacement. Especially in light of the recently discovered specimens.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Shonisaurus

Quote from: suspsy on October 01, 2018, 11:22:09 PM
I honestly see no reason to make a new Smilodon; the old one is still perfectly fine. Ineed, it's one of the very best renditions of the world's most famous machairodont.

Utahraptor is one more old Safari toy desperately in need of a replacement. Especially in light of the recently discovered specimens.

Sincerely there are other prehistoric felines or also "false saber teeth" that I would prefer to make the Safari brand, for example the eusmilus, homotherium, thylacosmilus, barburofelis, dinofelis or even the panthera leo spelaea.

There are saber-tooth felines as beautiful as smilodon and almost not manufactured in the market of prehistoric toy animals.

As far as the utahraptor would like one on the part of Safari that surpasses all the versions of other companies it is a predatory dinosaur that still is not represented of satisfactory form in figure of PVC.

Vidusaurus

I think they'll wait until the new specimens are formally published until they start thinking about a new Utahraptor, but when they do, watch out!

Quote from: Night Maw on September 30, 2018, 11:19:09 PM

1.   Protoceratops
2.   Borealopelta
3.   Corythosaurus 
4.   Dilophosaurus
5.   Pachycephalosaurus
6.   Plateosaurus
7.   Deinonychus
8.   Pterodaustro
9.   Ophthalmosaurus
10.   Cynognathus
11.   Smilodon
12.   Paraceratherium
13.   Ambulocetus

Like others have said, I don't really see the need for a new Smilodon as the current model is perfectly serviceable, but I love all your other suggestions! I feel like they'd go for Ichthyosaurus proper over Ophthalmosaurus as they already have one in the discontinued Carnegie line. Sub out those two and I think you've got a pretty reasonable guess for 2020's releases!

Personally I'm hoping (very wishful thinking here) for Chilesaurus, Synthetoceras, Megalosaurus and Saltasaurus sometime in the near future. Of those, I see Saltasaurus as the best chance of being made next year as it was part of the old Carnegie line; Megalosaurus, while a dinosaurian staple, is a bit too fragmentary to bother with (although that didn't stop them with Spinosaurus this year), Synthetoceras is the perfect oddball left-field choice for them but I worry a bit about its characteristic horn not quite being play-safe, while I think they'll wait until Chilesaurus has a solid phylogenetic rung before they try and tackle it.
Is it too early for a 2020 hopes & dreams thread??

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Vidusaurus on October 04, 2018, 12:20:14 AM

I think they'll wait until the new specimens are formally published until they start thinking about a new Utahraptor, but when they do, watch out!
I thought it already had been last year, hence the now powerfully built Utahraptor paleoart and Scott Hartman's skeletal?
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Vidusaurus

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on October 04, 2018, 12:47:17 AM

I thought it already had been last year, hence the now powerfully built Utahraptor paleoart and Scott Hartman's skeletal?

You could be right, I always thought it was based on information that had been released but not officially published, but I also could be very wrong here.

Sim

I feel like they'd go for Ichthyosaurus proper over Ophthalmosaurus as they already have one in the discontinued Carnegie line.

I agree.

Personally I'm hoping (very wishful thinking here) for Chilesaurus, Synthetoceras, Megalosaurus and Saltasaurus sometime in the near future. Of those, I see Saltasaurus as the best chance of being made next year as it was part of the old Carnegie line; Megalosaurus, while a dinosaurian staple, is a bit too fragmentary to bother with (although that didn't stop them with Spinosaurus this year), Synthetoceras is the perfect oddball left-field choice for them but I worry a bit about its characteristic horn not quite being play-safe, while I think they'll wait until Chilesaurus has a solid phylogenetic rung before they try and tackle it.

Similar to what you said, I think the appearance of Megalosaurus is a bit too uncertain for it to be worth making.  I'd really like for more remains to be found which give a better idea of what its head looked like, but for now it's too incomplete for me to want a figure of it.

A few nights ago I was thinking about which Carnegie figures Safari might still want to replace.  I think it's possible the Carnegie Saltasaurus has been replaced with the 2018 Safari Malawisaurus, like how the Carnegie Oviraptor appears to be getting replaced by the 2019 Safari Citipati.  If I remember right, most of the skull of Saltasaurus isn't known, which might be a reason why they chose to make a titanosaur with a complete skull instead.  In any case, I'd be surprised if Safari made Saltasaurus for next year, to me it seems too similar to Malawisaurus.

Out of the Carnegie figures retired when the line was discontinued, I think the most likely to get a Wild Safari replacement might be: Plateosaurus, Ichthyosaurus and Tanystropheus.  I hope that if Safari makes a new Tanystropheus it won't have a bendable wire neck again.

Shonisaurus

There are figures of dinosaurs that I hope will reissue Carnegie's brand Safari miragaia, concavenator, protoceratops, albertosaurus, deltadromeus, gorgosaurus, caudipteryx, beipiaosaurus, therizinosaurus, yanchuanosaurus and mamenchisaurus (these last three dinosaurs of china). On the other hand they could reedit the australophitecus and the family of neardenthales (updated) of the Missing Links series.

Doug Watson

Shouldn't this thread be split into Safari 2020 Hopes and Dreams starting with Reply #203? avatar_Patrx @Patrx

suspsy

Quote from: Doug Watson on October 04, 2018, 01:00:11 PM
Shouldn't this thread be split into Safari 2020 Hopes and Dreams starting with Reply #203? avatar_Patrx @Patrx

That strikes me as a very good idea, although I'll be withholding my wishes until I see what the other companies have in store for us next year.

I will say right now: I'll be very disappointed if CollectA's 2019 line also includes Allosaurus, Carnotaurus, and Stegosaurus.

Patrx

Quote from: Doug Watson on October 04, 2018, 01:00:11 PM

Quite right! I had meant to do so days ago, but forgot  ;D

Sauropelta

Borealopelta with red and brown colors like the real one.

Ornithomimus with Northern Cassowary colors

Any small/medium size pterosaur with saddle bill stork colors

Gallimimus with Ostrich colors
Sauropelta (Meaning 'lizard shield') is a genus of nodosaurid dinosaur that existed in the Early Cretaceous Period of North America. One species (S. edwardsorum) has been named although others may have existed. Anatomically, Sauropelta is one of the most well-understood nodosaurids, with fossilized remains recovered in the U.S. states of Wyoming, Montana, and possibly Utah.

suspsy

Quote from: Vidusaurus on October 04, 2018, 01:33:46 AM
Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on October 04, 2018, 12:47:17 AM

You could be right, I always thought it was based on information that had been released but not officially published, but I also could be very wrong here.

Hartman revealed a new skeletal drawing based on the findings last year:

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.skeletaldrawing.com/home/at-long-last-utahraptor%3fformat=amp

Halichoeres

So of the Carnegie figures that were in production when the line folded, here are the figures that don't currently have a WS equivalent or near-equivalent (e.g., Citipati for Oviraptor):

Albertosaurus
Baryonyx
Beipiaosaurus
Caudipteryx
Concavenator
Cryolophosaurus
Deinosuchus
Dilong
Ichthyosaurus
Maiasaura
Saltasaurus (but as Sim pointed out, maybe Malawisaurus is close enough)
Tanystropheus

Some of these I wouldn't mind seeing new versions of (Maiasaura, Deinosuchus) but others I don't particularly feel the need to see replaced. I love the Carnegie Ichthyosaurus, for example, and while the Beipiaosaurus isn't perfect, I find it to be a really attractive figure. Obviously, since they're discontinued, Safari isn't making money on these older sculpts, but what I'd like to see is related but less commonly made taxa made instead, such as Platypterygius or Alxasaurus. The last couple of years have been really heavy on Carnegie replacements, but Safari can only do that for another year or two at most, because it's mostly replaced now! (There are also a few that I think have a strong chance of replacement even though they were discontinued a long time before the Carnegie line as a whole, like Plateosaurus).

I hope that once the Carnegie replacement project is done they won't reduce output to the previous 5-6 figures, and instead devote the considerable talent at hand to more never-done-by-Safari species. Obviously I'd especially like some Paleozoic animals, but the Triassic is really neglected too. For me the most exciting release this year was easily Prestosuchus. Finally, I'd hope for some new Toobs with oddball taxa or small animals to scale with the larger figures; the only prehistoric Toob like this right now is the Feathered Dinos one. Period-specific Toobs, clade-specific Toobs, formation-specific Toobs--I'd be over the moon for any of those. Given that the Prehistoric Sharks, Prehistoric Crocs, Prehistoric Sea Life, and Cambrian Life Toobs were all discontinued, it might be that they don't sell well.

So in sum, I'd like Safari to:
• Keep 'em coming even once the Carnegie line is reconstituted
• Try out more new or at least new-to-Safari species, especially from the Paleozoic and Triassic!
• Make Toobs Toobs Toobs!

All that said, I expect 2020 to be largely drawn from the list of Carnegie figures above.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

IrritatorRaji

Eustreptospondylus.

Please.

These can't be the only models.

Sim

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres, after reading your post, I noticed on Toyanimal.info it says the Carnegie Plateosaurus was retired in 2008.  However, on the Carnegie Collection Wikipedia page it says the Plateosaurus was retired when the whole Carnegie Collection was discontinued: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnegie_collection

I don't know which of the retirement years is correct for the Carnegie Plateosaurus.  In any case, each Plateosaurus toy made so far has one or more big inaccuracies that make the animal look less impressive.  I'd like a figure that does Plateosaurus justice.

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 04, 2018, 08:25:49 PM
So of the Carnegie figures that were in production when the line folded, here are the figures that don't currently have a WS equivalent or near-equivalent (e.g., Citipati for Oviraptor):

There's also Miragaia, although I wouldn't want to see a new Miragaia since the plate/spike arrangement is completely unknown for the back half of Miragaia. Like how I think the Malawisaurus is a near-equivalent to the Saltasaurus, I think the Carnegie Baryonyx currently has a near-equivalent in the Wild Safari line which is Suchomimus, even if the WS Suchomimus wasn't intended to replace the Carnegie Baryonyx.

Halichoeres

Yeah, Plateosaurus is one of those that I wouldn't mind seeing replaced. I only consulted TAI, so I'm also not sure which is correct, but sure, add it to the list.

I was sure I had included Miragaia, whoops! I think that's a really lovely figure, even if parts are speculative, and from the perspective of my collection I don't think it needs a replacement. Miragaia's being known from incomplete remains is another reason to prefer, say, Tuojiangosaurus, which has never been made as a full size figure by a major company despite being known from relatively good remains. In any case, I'm probably going to hold off on stating wishes for specific genera until I see what's on offer from CollectA. In general terms I'd just like more new taxa and fewer re-treads, although I'm glad that when Safari does the old standards, they tend to do them better than just about anyone.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Renecito

I want more feathered Dinosaurs!!!
I would love a new Therizinosaurus (i know it's quite imposible), a beautiful Falcarius, Gigantoraptor, i love Doug's feathered figures!
Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

Jose S.M.

I'm very happy that Safari has given us at least one feathered dinosaur since 2017, I hope they will continue the tradition, and feathered dinosaurs come in many forms so they won't bore some people like ceratopsids so. I want Gallimimus or something related. I also wish for small ornithopods and some hadrosaur like Lambeosaurus and I will keep hoping for an Edmontosaurus im 1:35 scale to go along with the Hell Creek trio that we already have. For larger theropods Majungasaurus, Albertosaurus, Torvosaurus. I'm one who will always be trilled for any ceratopsid but I really want a Centrosaurus.
I don't collect other groups of figures but I want a mixed line so most people get their wishes so I hope for more mammals, marine and flying animals and pre-mesozoic fauna and smaller creatures (mammals, amphibians, other reptiles) that lived with dinosaurs, those would be perfect for a tube I think.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: