News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari 2020 Hopes and Dreams

Started by Night Maw, September 30, 2018, 11:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vidusaurus

I think i'm a little different to a lot of people here in that I don't mind at all that a piece of paleoart (including toys!) has the possibility to become outdated based on new evidence. Bring on the speculative reconstructions of fragmentary species, I say! I also don't have a problem at all with similar species being included in the line down the track (i.e. Citipati and Oviraptor, Malawisaurus and Saltasaurus, Suchomimus and a hypothetical future Baryonyx).
That being said, I think there's a big chance that next year will bring another batch of 10-to-a-dozen mostly familiar prehistoric species, with one or two oddballs thrown in (like this year's Prestosuchus and Citipati). I also think that they'll focus on bringing over a lot of the old Carnegie species/updating the older Wild Safari species, many of which look particularly cartoonish next to their modern-day counterparts. With that in mind, here's my very speculative predictions for Safari's 2020 releases.

1: Ichthyosaurus. This seems like a no-brainer to me, there are so few good ichthyosaur toys out there and Safari would have a really good chance to corner the market with this one. I know a lot of people would rather see something a bit more exotic like Ophthalmosaurus or Shonisaurus, but Ichthyosaurus proper has one of the most extensive fossil records of any species. As good as the old Carnegie was, I'd love to see Doug's take on such an iconic marine reptile.

2: Dilophosaurus. Like Ichthyosaurus, there are far too few good Dilophosaurus out there at an affordable price, and even the old Wild Safari had significant accuracy problems. Given Safari's near-spotless record with small-medium theropods in the last couple of years (think Coelophysis, Monolophosaurus and Masiakasaurus) this is a perfect choice for their 2020 lineup.

3: Utahraptor. Another excellent choice for Safari given Doug Watson's skill in restoring feathered dinosaurs, and a perfect opportunity to bring the all-new, all-chunktastic reconstruction of Utahraptor into the public arena. Given the relative popularity of Utahraptor (it's probably overtaken Deinonychus as the second most famous raptor), I'd say it's only a matter of time before Safari decides to update its weirdly lanky Wild Safari offering.

4: Pachycephalosaurus. Another children's book staple that for some reason gets neglected in toy form (although the CollectA offering is pretty decent), Pachycephalosaurus' knobbly, gnarly head would be perfect for Doug Watson's style (I really should stop saying this about every species on this list, as Doug is a master no matter what species he turns his attention to). This would fit in perfectly with the "Hell Creek Formation series" that Safari seem to be putting out, matching with the Tyrannosaurus, Quetzalcoatlus, Anzu, Ankylosaurus and now Triceratops that have been put out in the last three or four years.

5: Brontosaurus. This is it. The big one. there hasn't been a mass-produced Brontosaurus since the genus regained its validity (unless CollectA did one last year without me noticing), and Safari is the perfect company to bring the big guy to life. Just imagine a hulking Brontosaurus, sculpted by Doug, to scale with this year's Morrison Formation trio, and modeled after Mark Witton's dueling Brontosaurs painting from Recreating an Age of Reptiles. If that doesn't get your heart racing then nothing will.

6: Sinoceratops. The three certainties in life are death, taxes, and Safari putting out a new ceratopsian every year. While I know many of us would like to see one of the neglected old favourites like Pentaceratops, Centrosaurus or Chasmosaurus get a much-needed toy, Safari seems to have been going for recently-discovered species more often than not with their obligatory horned dinosaur. And with the debacle that was the Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom Pachyrhinosaurus Sinoceratops, this seems like the perfect choice to capitalise on arguably the most disappointing movie franchise of the last decade.

7: Edmontosaurus. I know we already have a half-decent Safari Edmontosaurus, but it was produced when the line was gradually transitioning from the cartoony late-90's fare to the pinnacle of realism we have today, so visually it doesn't really fit in with the rest of the line. Besides, it would be a perfect addition to the Hell Creek collection. EDIT: I read recently that they're retiring the old model ahead of 2019, so that bodes well for a new Edmontosaurus in 2020.

8: Plateosaurus. Another one that seems to be a popular choice, and for a good reason. PNSO's shrinkwrap-tastic Lufengosaurus is the only halfway-decent basal sauropodomorph on the market, and even that has a wildly inflated price tag and looks like it hasn't seen a meal in weeks. The only question here is whether it's restored as bipedal, like the vast majority of sauropodomorph research in the last few years indicates it was obligated to be, or quadrupedal, as Greg Paul weirdly seems to insist on making all his sauropodomorphs.

9: Therizinosaurus. I know there's a big stink being kicked up on the forum because of the uncertainty around Spinosaurus/Sigilmassasaurus/the new north African spinosaurine and Safari's decision to make one for 2019 anyway, and the greater discussion about whether a species "deserves" to be made in toy form when it is known from less than stellar remains. I don't really care one bit for that line of thought, and I've made my opinion clear in a few threads. That being said, even the staunchest "well-known species only" proponents can't deny that a Doug Watson Therizinosaurs would look cool as heck.

10: Megatherium. Obligatory mammal. Don't really have too much to say about this one. EDIT: Apparently the old Megatherium was one of the few old mammals that Safari never actually retired during the brand changeover? In that case, change this to either Paraceratherium or Basilosaurus.

11: Majungasaurus. Ceratosaurs that aren't Carnotaurus or Ceratosaurus don't really get that much love outside of early-2010's CollectA, and Majungasaurus is the perfect choice to balance out Therizinosaurus: it's known from a mostly-complete skeleton, looks unique as hell, and is different enough from Carnotaurus that most people wouldn't get mad about two abelisaurs in a row!

12: Dsungaripterus. We need more grounded pterosaurs (ideally companies would release one flying and one standing version of each of their pterosaurs but I understand that's wishful thinking). What better choice to bring about the terrestrial pterosaur revolution than Dsungaripterus? Thought to have been an early Cretaceous equivalent of an oystercatcher, Dsungaripterus' flight style and its relatively heavy bones for a pterosaur hold it in good stead to have been a largely terrestrial species, only taking wing out of necessity. It is also hypothesised (very speculatively, mind you) to have been a bit of a crash-and-basher, engaging in rowdy intraspecific brawls, so could we get our first running pterosaur?

Honourable mentions to Protoceratops, Ornithomimus, Torvosaurus, Kentrosaurus, Ouranosaurus, Anomalocaris, Saltasaurus, Daspletosaurus, Tanystropheus and Pterygotus, all of which I would love to see but I just couldn't fit into such a limited lineup. Maybe 2021.

Sim

Quote from: Vidusaurus on October 05, 2018, 01:58:05 AM
I think i'm a little different to a lot of people here in that I don't mind at all that a piece of paleoart (including toys!) has the possibility to become outdated based on new evidence. Bring on the speculative reconstructions of fragmentary species, I say!

Personally, what I dislike about animals that don't have a known appearance isn't just their possibly higher than average risk of becoming outdated, it's also their lack of representing something real.  I enjoy seeing prehistoric animal figures represent unpredictable appearances that are real, rather than ones that are invented by a person.  I just thought I should clarify how I feel about this.

there hasn't been a mass-produced Brontosaurus since the genus regained its validity (unless CollectA did one last year without me noticing)

CollectA did one for 2018 without you noticing.

10: Megatherium. Obligatory mammal. Don't really have too much to say about this one.

In case you didn't know, there is one in the Wild Safari line already: https://store.safariltd.com/products/wild-safari-prehistoric-world-gian-sloth-figurines-274129

Shonisaurus

About dinosaurs whose remains are fortunately preserved very well I would like Safari in 2020 to do the following although I am repetitive in my wishes,

Ceraptosides: chasmosaurus, arrhinoceratops, pentaceratops, anchiceratops, kosmoceratops, protoceratops, centrosaurus and monoclonius.

Tyrannosaurs: daspletosaurus, gorgosaurus, alioramus, tarbosaurus and albertosaurus.

These two groups of dinosaurs that I mentioned fortunately are preserved very well skeletonically and I do not understand how they are not overrepresented when some are even more complete than other figures such as therizinosaurus for example. They are figures that reasonably for marketing purposes would be a sales success.

Vidusaurus

Quote from: Sim on October 05, 2018, 02:41:37 PM
10: Megatherium. Obligatory mammal. Don't really have too much to say about this one.

In case you didn't know, there is one in the Wild Safari line already: https://store.safariltd.com/products/wild-safari-prehistoric-world-gian-sloth-figurines-274129

I knew about that one but I thought they discontinued all their old mammals?

Ravonium

Quote from: Vidusaurus on October 06, 2018, 09:23:29 AM

They did, but around 2016, they rereleased the Megatherium, Amebelodon and Doedicurus (at least those 3).

Shonisaurus

I would like Safari to reedit in 2020 at least one of the following prehistoric mammals:

Arsinoitherium is one of my preferred prehistoric mammals up to date and larger size like the uintatherium, megacerops or shaggy rhinoceros (made by Doug Watson in a masterful way).

Andrewsarchus with a large medium size at least one size larger than the hyaenodon.

Finally reeedings updated and made by our esteemed Doug or another Safari sculptor of prehistoric mammals such as doedicurus, megatherium and amebelodon.

A large male and female smilodon with its young would be interesting too. A complete smilodon family would be interesting.

Sim

Quote from: Ravonium on October 06, 2018, 10:50:39 AM
Quote from: Vidusaurus on October 06, 2018, 09:23:29 AM

They did, but around 2016, they rereleased the Megatherium, Amebelodon and Doedicurus (at least those 3).

In addition to the three that Ravonium listed, Safari also re-released their baby woolly mammoth for 2016.  Also, I don't think they ever discontinued their Wild Safari woolly mammoth and Smilodon.

Shonisaurus

We would need a larger and representative megatherium of its kind. I would like to replace the Bullyland and Safari megatherius with a more detailed one and with a more finished sculpture. I hope that Doug Watson or another of Safari's sculptors will dare one day to make a new megatherium.

The current Safari is good but small and the discontinued Bullyland is obsolete and is inaccurate as they have pointed members in the DTF in his day.

Halichoeres

On Utahraptor: whereas Hartman was able to see photos and data from the new specimen that informed his skeletal reconstruction, those data have not been formally published in a peer-reviewed journal. I imagine they'll be out pretty soon and we'll hear a lot about it.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

mgaguilar

It's a guarantee that they release at least one large theropod every year, so I am definitely hoping for a scientifically-accurate, and larger-sized Carcharodontosaurus.
Their smaller one doesn't really do it for me.

Jose S.M.

Quote from: mgaguilar on October 07, 2018, 02:56:34 AM
It's a guarantee that they release at least one large theropod every year, so I am definitely hoping for a scientifically-accurate, and larger-sized Carcharodontosaurus.

I would love a re issue of the Carcha and Acrocantosaurus in 1:35 but I don't see it happening soon.
Also this year the only theropod was Anzu. It's one of the few years they didn't release a larger one

Vidusaurus

Quote from: Jose S.M. on October 07, 2018, 03:52:10 AM
Quote from: mgaguilar on October 07, 2018, 02:56:34 AM

I would love a re issue of the Carcha and Acrocantosaurus in 1:35 but I don't see it happening soon.
Also this year the only theropod was Anzu. It's one of the few years they didn't release a larger one

I feel like the Hyaenodon, Dimetrodon and Daeodon were the "stand-ins" for big theropods this year

Concavenator

Out of the 2019 releases,I predicted 3 of them (Pteranodon,Allosaurus and Stegosaurus).Now I will leave a few guesses for 2020,and I´m sure that at least 1 or 2 will be happening:

Ichthyosaurus (take this one for granted  :P)
Brachiosaurus or Apatosaurus
Saltasaurus
Dilophosaurus
Plateosaurus
Protoceratops
Maiasaura
Deinonychus
Albertosaurus
Concavenator

These are some species that I think that have a great possibility of being released,because they were part of the Carnegie Collection and haven´t had an updated,accurate sculpt since them.

Now,what I wish is an entirely different question.These are some species that I would love if they were released:

Utahraptor (updated with the new,stocky look and with the curved jaw)
Deinonychus (we´re in high need for an updated sculpt of this species)
Yi qi
A tyrannosaur that´s not a Tyrannosaurus.I´m very sick of Tyrannosaurus models myself.Now,CollectA´s 2015 Tyrannosaurus and Safari´s 2017 were actually needed.But now that these top notch Tyrannosaurus models were released,it´s time to stop it please.I would love another tyrannosaur from Safari,like a Gorgosaurus,a Nanuqsaurus or something like that.
Edmontosaurus
An alvarezsaurid (no big company has ever made a version of any alvarezsaurid species)

Now I have a question to avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson: If you were to sculpt another tyrannosaur (Albertosaurus,Gorgosaurus,for example) would you give it feathers,like you did with your recent Tyrannosaurus?

IrritatorRaji

Okay, so, actual contribution to this discussion, my last comment was weird.

• Eustreptospondylus - Criminally underrated. The entire Megalosaur family seems to be forgotten about when model companies release new figures. Eustreptospondylus has had all the time in the world to be made into a beautiful figure, I mean, it wasn't like it was found recently, it was found 1870 and named in 1964. Not to mention that its skeletal remains are the most complete of any European Jurassic theropod. It's such a fascinating animal that needs more recognition beyond being the dinosaur that was eaten by a Liopleurodon in WWD.

• Dilophosaurus - Safari made what was arguably one of the best Carnotaurus models in their Carnegie line, and have somehow managed to release an even better one in their 2019 line up. Safari's Carnegie Dilophosaurus is also an exceptional model, and I would love for them to show the same exceptional skills demonstrated with their Carnotaurus on a new Dilophosaurus.

• Concavenator - Not necessarily because I want Safari to make another one, but because the Carnegie version is becoming a lot more rare and difficult to acquire. Also, there's not many Concavenator figures out there yet this dinosaur continues to get more exposure in the Jurassic World franchise, it would be nice to have more variety in Concavenator figures.

• A large Dromaeosaurid (Utahraptor, Dakotaraptor, Austroraptor, Achillobator etc.) - Just because I feel that other dromaeosaurids are forgotten about in favour of the much more popular Velociraptor, especially the larger ones. It would be awesome to see an accurate and feathered figure of a large dromaeosaurid. I know Utahraptor has been made into models and toy before, but none have really been that accurate and most just look like a bulkier Velociraptor, which Utahraptor was not. The most accurate (commercially available) Utahraptor I know of is Rebor's Utahraptor, and even that's a long way from being a perfect representation of the animal.

• Rajasaurus - I've always had a weird attachment to this dinosaur as our names are derived from the same word (my real name and Rajasaurus' name both derive from the ancient Indian word 'rāja' meaning 'king' or 'sovereign'). I'll be completely honest in saying that this is my only reason for wanting a Rajasaurus that isn't the CollectA model, though I honestly believe that more Abelisaurid figures (that aren't Carnotaurus) would be nice to see.

• Alamosaurus - Okay, another one based on personal attachment, I confess. Experiencing Alamosaurus at the Dinosaurs In The Wild event deepened my appreciation of the animal, even though I admittedly still don't know much about it. Still, I doubt anyone will be upset at the thought of a new Sauropod, right? Especially since Safari has been hitting it out of the park with Sauropods as of late.

Sauropelta

I'm going to add Ouranosaurus to my list. Give it duck colors.

Sauropelta (Meaning 'lizard shield') is a genus of nodosaurid dinosaur that existed in the Early Cretaceous Period of North America. One species (S. edwardsorum) has been named although others may have existed. Anatomically, Sauropelta is one of the most well-understood nodosaurids, with fossilized remains recovered in the U.S. states of Wyoming, Montana, and possibly Utah.

Shonisaurus

Apart from the ouranosaurus, the Australian Muttaburrasaurus are among the family of iguanodontids. A muttaburrasaurus would be a necessary figure since we only have the excellent and unforgettable Invicta muttaburrasaurus.

On the other hand although less known is the lurdusaurus which is the equivalent of the lazy in the dinosaur species would be an excellent figure for every collector.

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: Sauropelta on October 07, 2018, 04:34:55 PM
I'm going to add Ouranosaurus to my list. Give it duck colors.

A Rubeosaurus with brown/white on body, maybe orange/yellow colors on frill

We've got a Carcharadontosaurus and an upcoming Spinosaurus, yeah, an Ouranosaurus would be really nice!
Not entirely sure how I feel about the duck colours. Not sure if colours designed for a small water fowl would suit a 8 metre long Hadrosaurid.

The Rubeosaurus sounds really interesting, not sure if it should be released the year after a Styracosaurus considering how similar they are, but it would be nice to see some company try their hand at Rubeosaurus.

Ravonium

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on October 07, 2018, 05:47:19 PM
Not entirely sure how I feel about the duck colours. Not sure if colours designed for a small water fowl would suit a 8 metre long Hadrosaurid.

To be fair (in both a positive and negative sense of the word :P ), there are many species of duck, which means that Sauropelta's envision of a Safari Ltd Ouranosaurus could be anything from this...

...to this.

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: Ravonium on October 07, 2018, 06:16:04 PM
Quote from: IrritatorRaji on October 07, 2018, 05:47:19 PM

To be fair (in both a positive and negative sense of the word :P ), there are many species of duck, which means that Sauropelta's envision of a Safari Ltd Ouranosaurus could be anything from this...

...to this.

True, true!

(That being said I would 100% be down for a Mandarin Duck dinosaur, I wouldn't even care about scientific accuracy)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: