News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari 2020 Hopes and Dreams

Started by Night Maw, September 30, 2018, 11:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITdactyl

I'm fully on board the Ouranosaurus in waterfowl pattern hype train (no zebra stripes please).

Sauropelta

The choices are endless when you use birds for artistic inspiration. And it can be any duck color for Ourano not just bright green. Maybe a more brown colored one.

Sauropelta (Meaning 'lizard shield') is a genus of nodosaurid dinosaur that existed in the Early Cretaceous Period of North America. One species (S. edwardsorum) has been named although others may have existed. Anatomically, Sauropelta is one of the most well-understood nodosaurids, with fossilized remains recovered in the U.S. states of Wyoming, Montana, and possibly Utah.

Shonisaurus

An ouranosaurus that exceeds in genius the other brands made by Doug Watson would be great.

On the other hand I would like in 2020 or in another year to make Safari a kosmoceratops or a medusaceratops apart from the aforementioned rubeosaurus, although the rubeosaurus is a greedy and desired figure sincerely has a great similarity with the styracosaurus.

In exchange the medusaceratops or kosmoceratops are figures with extraordinary golas. Kosmoceratops to date has not done any well known toy company except Collecta and with some sizes from my point of view insufficient I would like it to be done on a scale in which you could see a medium-large ceratopsid dinosaur.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on October 04, 2018, 08:41:04 PM
Eustreptospondylus.

Please.

These can't be the only models.
I'm with you all the way on this. Poor Eustreptospondylus. I blame the magical Liopleurodon.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Shonisaurus on October 07, 2018, 05:46:00 PM
Apart from the ouranosaurus, the Australian Muttaburrasaurus are among the family of iguanodontids. A muttaburrasaurus would be a necessary figure since we only have the excellent and unforgettable Invicta muttaburrasaurus.

On the other hand although less known is the lurdusaurus which is the equivalent of the lazy in the dinosaur species would be an excellent figure for every collector.
Oh, a Lurdusaurus would be very interesting.

Edit: I'll put up a proper post in this thread a bit later when it isn't 2 in the morning on a Sunday.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Doug Watson

Quote from: Concavenator on October 07, 2018, 12:32:48 PM
Now I have a question to avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson: If you were to sculpt another tyrannosaur (Albertosaurus,Gorgosaurus,for example) would you give it feathers,like you did with your recent Tyrannosaurus?

I don't know, I'd have to cross that bridge if and when it comes.

Shonisaurus

avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson It is an advice of admirer and friend of the company and for more details an admirer of your work. I would like you to someday make a tyrannosaur that was not tyrannosaurus rex, that is, gorgosaurus, daspletosaurus, albertosaurus, alioramus or tarbosaurus.

I understand that those types of theropods to a medium size large and marketed by the company Safari would be as successful as the king dinosaurs of all companies. It would be profit to the company and more would be very educational figures for those people who only believe that the tyrannosaurus rex exists in their life as far as the species of tyrannosaur theropods.

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: Shonisaurus on October 08, 2018, 06:21:47 AM
avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson It is an advice of admirer and friend of the company and for more details an admirer of your work. I would like you to someday make a tyrannosaur that was not tyrannosaurus rex, that is, gorgosaurus, daspletosaurus, albertosaurus, alioramus or tarbosaurus.

I feel like a certain arctic mini Tyrannosaur is missing here :P
But seriously, a Safari Nanuqsaurus, or any of the other Tyrannosaurs you mentioned, would be amazing! :)

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Nanuqsaurus on October 08, 2018, 11:56:24 AM

But seriously, a Safari Nanuqsaurus, or any of the other Tyrannosaurs you mentioned, would be amazing! :)
Since Nanuqsaurus is only known from a skull, do you think that's a good idea? What if Nanuqsaurus has some really unusual anatomy which they discover the next year? That said Nanuqsaurus has a great name, and one that perfectly suits a fluffy Tyrannosaur

Takama

New Brachiosaurus or Giraffatitan  Preferbly 1:50 Scale or bigger.

New Dilophosaurus

Brontosaurus: Since Safari alredy has an Apatosaurus, and since they made a Citipatii AND an Anzu (Two simalar Dinosaurs), I figured they could make a Brontosaurus.

Concavenator: This thing made an appereance as a Fiber Glass model in JW:FK, I think Safari should make one, not just because of that, but also because it was one of the original Carnegie models

AcroSauroTaurus

I'm guessing any of these species...

Protoceratops
Baryonyx
Albertosaurus/Gorgosaurus
Borealopelta
Gigantspinosaurus
Postosuchus (remake)
Nyctosaurus
Deltadromeus
Corythosaurus
Brachiosaurus
Dilophosaurus
Kosmoceratops
Ichthyosaurus
Saltasaurus
Miragaia
Edmontosaurus
Embolotherium
Basilosaurus
Beipiaosaurus
I am the Dinosaur King!

Vidusaurus

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on October 08, 2018, 08:22:37 PM
Quote from: Nanuqsaurus on October 08, 2018, 11:56:24 AM

Since Nanuqsaurus is only known from a skull, do you think that's a good idea? What if Nanuqsaurus has some really unusual anatomy which they discover the next year? That said Nanuqsaurus has a great name, and one that perfectly suits a fluffy Tyrannosaur
What if Spinosaurus isn't actually a short-legged semi-aquatic species?

Takama

In all Honesty, I kinda Wished Safari waited on the Spinosaurus until there were more remains to asociate with it, or if there was a widely accepted idea as to what the animal looked like.

Dan LoRusso Once told me that he did not want to make a Spinosaurus for the Battat line, because of the Uncertainty on what it looked like (This was back in 2015, Right before his unfortunate Death :'( ).   I wish Safari would have done the same, and gave us a Baryonyx instead.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Takama on October 09, 2018, 01:45:45 AM
In all Honesty, I kinda Wished Safari waited on the Spinosaurus until there were more remains to asociate with it, or if there were a widely accepted idea as to what the animal looked like.

Dan LoRusso Once told me that he did not want to make a Spinosaurus for the Battat line, because of the Uncertainty on what it looked like.   I wish Safari would have done the same, and gave us a Baryonyx instead.
I agree with this, both because of the poor remains, and because I find Baryonyx far more interesting.

tanystropheus

I really want a feathered Spinosaurus  >:D

Shonisaurus

Carnegie's miragaia was a fantastic dinosaur. An improved version of Miragaia by Safari would be great.

On the other hand reissue of kentrosaurus to a larger size would be necessary for Safari. Doug could make both figures with the same level of genius and scientific rigor of the Safari 2019 stegosaurus.

Sauropelta

Quote from: Shonisaurus on October 09, 2018, 03:05:29 AM
On the other hand reissue of kentrosaurus to a larger size would be necessary for Safari. Doug could make both figures with the same level of genius and scientific rigor of the Safari 2019 stegosaurus.

Kentro is much smaller than Stego though. I think even smaller than the sophie stego 2019 is based on.
Sauropelta (Meaning 'lizard shield') is a genus of nodosaurid dinosaur that existed in the Early Cretaceous Period of North America. One species (S. edwardsorum) has been named although others may have existed. Anatomically, Sauropelta is one of the most well-understood nodosaurids, with fossilized remains recovered in the U.S. states of Wyoming, Montana, and possibly Utah.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

So, in light of the 2019 reveals, I thought I'd better put down a kind of wish list slash semi-predictions which many of you seem to be doing.

Baryonyx
Baryonyx is a genus which despite a couple of recent additions, is still lacking in decent quality figures (that said I can't wait for the Favorite SoftModel to arrive). Safari Ltd could pull out a nice decent medium-sized figure of this beauty. I've heard it said that the Wild Safari Suchomimus is too similar but a) they could be in a different pose and b) Anzu and Citipati in consecutive years shows this doesn't bother Safari. Spinosaurids have such a beautiful shape too. Plus, I love British dinosaurs and this one in particular.

Utahraptor (and Deinonychus)
Safari Ltd is currently on a roll with knocking out fantastic Maniraptoran dinosaurs with accurate feathering. Another Dromaeosaurid would be excellent and Utahraptor is one of the most distinct and popular. What with the recent findings, Safari could bring out a lovely up to date Utahraptor based on the current findings. I've suggested Deinonychus as well because it's one of my childhood favourites, and distinct enough from Velociraptor, plus as Safari aim to educate, they could easily include some information about how the Jurassic Park raptors are actually Deinonychus.

Tuojiangosaurus
Tuojiangosaurus is another childhood favourite of mine despite not knowing how to properly pronounce it until recently. It was the second Stegosaur I heard of (after Stegosaurus but before Kentrosaurus) and the first or second Chinese dinosaur (the other being Mamenchisaurus). Safari has few Thyreophorans and another Stegosaur, and one which looks quite different from Stegosaurus, would add nicely tot the range as small to medium figure.

Edmontosaurus regalis or Tsintaosaurus
Hadrosaurus (and Ornithopods in general) are not getting much love in the toy market. Apparently, they may not sell as well, but if you don't make them at all, well of course no one will buy it. And further to that point, if Safari have enough hot sellers on the market, they can afford one or two moderate risks. Hadrosaurs are one of the most successful groups of animals in the Late Cretaceous, and Safari's previous Edmontosaurus are lacking in size and quality by now, and it would be good to get a larger size updated Edmontosaurus with its soft tissue crest. Alternatively, since Edmontosaurus has been done a fair bit, an updated Tsintaosaurus with an updated crest that no longer looks like either a unicorn horn or a certain male body part like the CollectA one.

Protoceratops
Safari always does a Ceratopsian, and its always a member of the Ceratopsidae family, presumably because they're better known (as a body plan) and better sellers but Protoceratops is a pretty well-known animal that doesn't currently have a decent representation in the toy market and could really do with one, and also due to not being a Ceratopsid, Protoceratops looks more different and thus isn't 'just another Ceratopsid'.

Ichthyosaurus (or similar like Ophthalmosaurus)
A relatively late addition to the Carnegie line, the Ichthyosaurus remains one of the better known marine reptiles, and one which is quite different from the Plesiosaurs and Mosasaurs that they have been releasing more recently. A new Ichthyosaurus seems almost inevitable, but is still something that I hope for, due to missing out on the Carnegie.

Mononykus
So, I may have gone a little too far out there with this one, but hear me out. Whilst Mononykus is a strange looking animal by dinosaur standards (and all Alvarezsaurs in general), Safari has done a Deinocheirus, which is about as weird looking as they come. An Alvarezsaur is a maniraptor, it could easily be done as a small figure so as to reduce risk, which also makes sense as Mononykus is a small animal. I also really want a figure of an Alvarezsaur. Another thing to consider is to look at some of Safari's non-prehistoric lines which include cuter animals like chinchillas. A Mononykus figure could be made in such a way as to attract people in a 'isn't it so cute' sort of way, rather than a 'isn't it so scary' sort of way.

Borealopelta (or Zuul)
Borealopelta is here for a couple of reasons. One of course is the need for more armoured dinosaurs, and the other is of course it's recent discovery and the quality of the fossil remains. As we know so much about its head, neck, torso etc. we can have a decent representation of this animal which is unlikely to get horribly outdated. Safari have shown they are not afraid to do recent species (not as much as CollectA sure) and this one is sure to be a seller. Conversely Zuul is also recently discovered and with an eye-catching pop reference name too. And when it comes to Ankylosauria, beside Ankylosaurus itself, Nodosaurs tend to show up more, so it would be nice to get another Ankylosaurid.

Cryolophosaurus
Whilst hardly a widely known dinosaur, Cryolophosaurus is an unusual looking therapod, and one which has already graced the Carnegie line. It would be a good choice for an update so its tail is not held in a way that touches the floor. Like Safari's 2017 Coelophysis, the Cryolophosaurus is a good choice for a feathered version. It would also make the Cryo's crest look more natural with feathering around it.

Plateosaurus
Non-sauropod sauropodomorphs are infrequent in the toy market, but Plateosaurus us by far the most well-known and there is one in the Carnegie line which makes this a likely candidate for an update in the Wild Safari line and one I think could make an interesting a figure. A Massospondylus would be nice too, but I think it be too unlikely.

Nyctosaurus
This pterosaur with its unusual crest would make for an interesting figure. Some sort of soft tissue on it, like on the little PNSO mini figure, would look nice, and it's a genus of pterosaur that I could see Safari doing at some point.

Chalicotherium
Chalicotherium is one of my favourite prehistoric mammals and one I just really want a figure of one, whilst it is slightly out there, its appearance on Walking with Beasts should have given it enough exposure to make this one work. Prehistoric mammals that aren't from the Pleistocene era, are great for diversifying the line.

Barosaurus
Barosaurus us here partly just because there has to be at least one true sauropod, but despite being like a tier 2 or 3 in the recognisability, it has so few figures, none that I can think of, and I think a Barosaurus would make a lovely sauropod figure.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Sauropelta on October 09, 2018, 07:42:04 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on October 09, 2018, 03:05:29 AM

Kentro is much smaller than Stego though. I think even smaller than the sophie stego 2019 is based on.

Kentro was pretty small. The Tyco version is a great rendition but doesn't quite scale well with anything due to its size. I would be content if WS releases a Kentro without the stick on googly eyes.

Shonisaurus

I sincerely believe that Safari will continue to make updated versions of the defunct Carnegie brand and at best two figures of dinosaurs or other exotic prehistoric animals such as citipati and prestosuchus. Honestly I would like an updated version of the andrewsarchus, megatherium, doedicurus and arsinoitherium. Doug Watson could make those magnificent figures of prehistoric mammals to a size bigger than the current ones.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: