News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Eofauna 1:35 Giganotosaurus

Started by Reptilia, October 06, 2018, 01:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

Honestly, I like the prototype painting more, but you can see the giganotosaurus of Eofauna, awesome! It's magnificent, a piece of unusual paleoart. Although I sincerely believe that it will be better to see him in person. Anyway, I liked the painting session of the prototype figure more.

Outstanding figure and one of the best theropods made by a dinosaur brand in many years and one of the best this year.  8)

RobinGoodfellow

I'm a big fan of Eofauna so I won't comment until I'll see the new Giganotosaurus with my own eyes.
Now, from what I can see from those images, the paint scheme looks really bad...  :-\
I hope it's only for the bad pictures..  :-[

Flaffy

Is this another Itoy Rex situation? Where the promo shots made it seem like a much better figure (or had much better paint app) than it really was?

Personally not a fan of the Eofauna Giga. I'm personally not fond of the colours, the patterning, the outdated skull and the species choice.
Eofauna could've done much more for their first dinosaur.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Flaffy on November 21, 2018, 03:43:19 PM
Is this another Itoy Rex situation? Where the promo shots made it seem like a much better figure (or had much better paint app) than it really was?

Personally not a fan of the Eofauna Giga. I'm personally not fond of the colours, the patterning, the outdated skull and the species choice.

Wasn't the skull issue addressed on the last page? It looked to only have very minor differences.  Nothing that couldn't be chalked up individual variation, age or sexual dimorphism.

Minmiminime

Looks pretty fine to me! The eye is perhaps a little sloppy, but the same was true of the Palaeoloxodon. It can be fixed if necessary! The jaw mechanism clearly works very well on that figure in the photographs, which hopefully bodes well for them in general. The only thing that concerned me a little from the start was the hand claws looking a bit nubbin-like, but I decided a long time ago I could live with that. I'm delighted that it's this close to general release! Bring it on 😊
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

acro-man

I call it PNSO Doyle situation, where the prototype paint is too fancy for the factory workers to follow.

They will mess it with anger  >:D

Edit: Well I just look back on it and found the original paint wasn't that complicated. So how come?
喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

Syndicate Bias

Seems to me you arent fond of the Giganotosaurus. I think doing much more in terms of species choice is up to an individual's opinion at least i think as others as well that this was a good choice.

Minmiminime

If you zoom in on the prototype Vs. the product, the patterning is actually identical; but the tone of the product definitely looks more grey/blue than shades of brown, and it seems more stark. I wonder if the prototype was a different colour, or if it's down to studio lighting and photography? Seems odd that they'd keep the pattern but change the colours 🤔
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

PhilSauria

Looks like I'm a bit late to this party, re the new images (blame the time difference over here) - but these pix do not in any way alter the figure's top of my list status.

Syndicate Bias

I feel like its just the poor lighting. After all Eofauna took the pictures with alot of light while MHHK is mostly dark.

My only gripe is the yellow in the eyes standing out but i think it was a flash shot since i see the wall and it has a single reflection of where the light is coming from which could be it but i dont know.

To me this is still a good Giganotosaurus

Shonisaurus

The figure looks very realistic and very precise and I honestly do not have any complaints against Eofauna, his work is excellent. I do not care about the color of the painting, even for that member of the forum that this dissatisfied can repaint and put the colors of the prototype to give an example. I know that in the DTF there are true teachers of the repainting of figures for example Jetoar.

For my part I am very happy and satisfied that I may have at the end of January the giganotosaurus of Eofauna.

Minmiminime

Quote from: PhilSauria on November 21, 2018, 08:50:24 PM
Looks like I'm a bit late to this party, re the new images (blame the time difference over here) - but these pix do not in any way alter the figure's top of my list status.

Same 😁🎉

tanystropheus

It looks great but I am disappointed.

Prototype rating: 11/10

Retail rating (mediocre lighting): 9/10

Final rating (actual model in hand): ?

tanystropheus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on November 21, 2018, 04:28:26 PM

Wasn't the skull issue addressed on the last page? It looked to only have very minor differences.  Nothing that couldn't be chalked up individual variation, age or sexual dimorphism.

I've carefully reviewed all the details regarding the skull and also noticed very minor, trivial differences. The skull and proportions are near perfect, in my opinion. It's a shame that sub-optimal paint applications will slightly impact the overall perception/reception of an otherwise near perfect entry into the dinosaur market. If the paint was done more supremely, there wouldn't really have been any room for criticism

Flaffy

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on November 21, 2018, 06:40:22 PM

Seems to me you arent fond of the Giganotosaurus. I think doing much more in terms of species choice is up to an individual's opinion at least i think as others as well that this was a good choice.
hence the repeated use of the word "personally". This is my personal opinion of the figure  ^-^

KeU

I'm with Flaffy on this one. With Giganotosaurus as my favorite dinosaur, I am extra picky. So forgive me.

It is interesting how we see the same pictures from the previous page and arrive at opposite conclusions.
But let me try to break it down if I may.
Most of the skull is accurate, the problem really is with the size of the opening for the Inferior Temporal Fenestra.
The original restoration had the opening too large which bumped the skull size estimate to 1.8 m for the holotype.
More recent studies and comparisons with Acrocanthosaurus reduced the estimate to 1.6 m, or about 110% of the femur I believe.
So Eofauna took the original skeletal and simply reduced the skull size to the appropriate length/size.
The important point of the skull size reduction was missed.
The 1.8 m to 1.6 m reduction was down mainly to the reduction in size of the Inferior Temporal Fenestra and the bones around it.
Therefore, the skull length is correct on the model, but not its proportions.

But, I am not blind to the opinion of others, it may be chalked down to individual variation, age or sexual dimorphism.
We are talking of a 0.2 m difference in a 12 m creature.

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: KeU on November 22, 2018, 02:23:25 PM
I'm with Flaffy on this one. With Giganotosaurus as my favorite dinosaur, I am extra picky. So forgive me.

It is interesting how we see the same pictures from the previous page and arrive at opposite conclusions.
But let me try to break it down if I may.
Most of the skull is accurate, the problem really is with the size of the opening for the Inferior Temporal Fenestra.
The original restoration had the opening too large which bumped the skull size estimate to 1.8 m for the holotype.
More recent studies and comparisons with Acrocanthosaurus reduced the estimate to 1.6 m, or about 110% of the femur I believe.
So Eofauna took the original skeletal and simply reduced the skull size to the appropriate length/size.
The important point of the skull size reduction was missed.
The 1.8 m to 1.6 m reduction was down mainly to the reduction in size of the Inferior Temporal Fenestra and the bones around it.
Therefore, the skull length is correct on the model, but not its proportions.

But, I am not blind to the opinion of others, it may be chalked down to individual variation, age or sexual dimorphism.
We are talking of a 0.2 m difference in a 12 m creature.

I am picky as well with it because its also my favourite dinosaur but it seems time after time and release after release i dont know when there will be a perfect model or at least one that lives up to the hype.

Even PNSO has flaws that kind of put me off but nonetheless i hope maybe Papo or at least Rebor even with all their overscaling can do some good

Gothmog the Baryonyx

That Giganotosaurus looks very nice even if it is one of the most boring dinosaurs, wake me up when Everything Dinosaur has it in. Similarity to the Battat T. rex doesn't bother me as colour schemes often repeat themselves.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Shonisaurus

Undoubtedly, it is one of my favorite dinosaurs of this coming year 2019. I would have preferred that it had been done with the paint colors of the figure of the prototype. Anyway with the real painting gives the giganotosaurus a carnivorous theropod image much more terrible than the one that had the prototype, despite the criticism is one of my dinosaurs as I have already mentioned preferred and a work of paleoarte gorgeus. With that I say everything.

I am very happy with this outstanding giganotosaurus from Eofauna, despite the criticism. In my case it is a work of art.

KeU

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on November 22, 2018, 06:00:42 PM
I am picky as well with it because its also my favourite dinosaur but it seems time after time and release after release i dont know when there will be a perfect model or at least one that lives up to the hype.
Even PNSO has flaws that kind of put me off but nonetheless i hope maybe Papo or at least Rebor even with all their overscaling can do some good
PNSO can kinda be forgiven since the actual sculpt itself was done a long time ago.
And I am biased, the details on the sculpt are spectacular.

Did not mention about the paint.
Comparing the prototype and the production model, the color pattern is pretty close.
A little more blending will make the model look much better.
But the photos are horrible, waiting for actual photos from owners.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: