News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - new for 2019

Started by Syndicate Bias, October 25, 2018, 04:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaffersaurus

Quote from: Faelrin on February 03, 2019, 03:11:03 AM
Quote from: Shaffersaurus on February 03, 2019, 02:19:31 AM
Hey everybody! I'm kind of new here! I say "kind of" because I have been following this forum for a couple years, but never registered. But Ifinally JUST took the step and registered. Just wanted to weigh in on this amazing new revelation from papo! I'm so excited and I hope it's not TOO limited!   ;D

Congrats with making the step with finally joining and posting. Hopefully there's enough around for all of us interested in getting it, to get one.

Thanks! I really like it! It captures the classic papo quality! Don't get me wrong, I like other brands too, but sometimes they can look a little bit static. I actually just ordered the schleich spino last week, in my personal opinion it is one of the better scientifically accurate models out there. But papo models have always won me over. They seem to have a living quality to them, both in the action packed (sometimes awkward looking) poses and the immense amount of detail (though they may not be to scale and slightly exaggerated).  I'm just a sucker for them! It looks like I'll be getting TWO new spinos this year!

This is all just personal preference though, and I respect that others may feel differently. I understand that most of the models they come out with aren't the most accurate out there, I consider myself pretty knowledgeable when it comes to paleontology, always had a love for it. I just really like the, as many people are calling it, "monstrous" look that papo gives them!
Its dramatic and eye catching!

kreativtek

Hi guys! Everything Dinosaur just posted more photos of the new Spinosaurus as well as opened a reserve list for this figure. It will be available in June or so.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtZKiedlRAh/

PhilSauria

This figure has certainly generated some heat here on the Forum, personally I like it and will be taking steps to add one to my collection.

Already have the Schleich and will be picking up any other Spino coming out this year. Can't afford the postage from the UK these days from ED, used to order a lot from them before their shipping went up, but I am hoping to get hold of this through local supplier Mini Zoo.

Sent them an email about to it and they are pursuing inquiries...

Shaffersaurus

Quote from: kreativtek on February 03, 2019, 06:26:02 AM
Hi guys! Everything Dinosaur just posted more photos of the new Spinosaurus as well as opened a reserve list for this figure. It will be available in June or so.

Based on that new image, it looks like it has partially webbed toes! I like it! 👍🏻

dragon53

If anyone can clarify what "Limited Edition" means, it would be greatly appreciated.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'm sad say it looks like I was right about the boney fish tail..on the other hand it's relief to know my eyes aren't that bad yet.

BRONSON

Quote from: dragon53 on February 03, 2019, 07:20:11 AM
If anyone can clarify what "Limited Edition" means, it would be greatly appreciated.

More £££$$$ Probably, they know they made a stunner, its a new mold, they need to regain some funds from the cost of making it.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: kreativtek on February 03, 2019, 06:26:02 AM

Thanks for the link but unfortunately I'm not affiliated with all social networks, in this case Instagram. Could someone download the photographs from that network? I can not visualize them.

On the other hand I have given a reserve order to Mike and Sue (everythingdinosaur) to buy that limited spinosaurus beauty. It will be cheaper to buy it at everythindinosaur than on eBay for example.

Reptilia

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on February 01, 2019, 12:59:28 AM
R @Reptilia is this what your retailer meant by surprise?

I guess so. And I don't want to take any merit here but what did I told ya people?

Quote from: Reptilia on December 04, 2018, 11:24:58 PM
I've been told that there were six new models to come, and here we have five with code 55077 still vacant. Assuming the Gorgosaurus is a medium size figure, I guess like the Ceratosaurus, one can hope for either a Giganotosaurus or a Carcharodontosaurus.

Quote from: Reptilia on December 23, 2018, 01:10:15 AM
Got some interesting news, and guess what? There's actually one more! Been speaking back to the person who previously told me there were six new models to be released in 2019, and asked why there's only five in the catalogue. They told me in reply that there's another one set for a release later in the year, and that it is quite a big one. I strongly suspect it is going to be part of another exclusive box set, and that we'll be getting it as a standalone release in 2020. Papo's not new to preview stuff with advance releases. Could be the Giga, eventually?

This is yet another winner by Papo, maybe their biggest achievement in the paleoartistic field so far. Personally I'm not sold on this interpretation of the animal, but as a mere paleoartistic rendition it's pure gold, no doubt. It is a bit sad to see people bringing up the same old diminishing arguments that are used everytime Papo reveal a new figure, though. This time the inaccuracy argument doesn't work, cause this is more accurate than the Collecta one with its broken wrists, and as accurate as the Safari's or Schleich's. The "look at that weird pose" argument doesn't work either, cause it is pretty simple in its stance, and sure far less weird than the floating-in-the-air version by Safari. The tail is a speculative detail, as acceptable as the overtly crocodilian tails of other brands' spinosaurs. And finally I don't see in this one any more monstrous traits than what you can detect in its competitors.

I believe that criticize Papo have become a pose on this forum by now. If you repeat your criticism as a mindless mantra even when there's no actual reason to do so, well, then you lose your credibility. I find there's a sort of revelatory element in some critics though, cause most of the time people say they dislike or don't buy Papo cause it's monstrous, inaccurate and... bloody expensive. Granted, quality is not for free, but honestly Papo figures don't cost twice as Collecta's or Safari's. But I understand that if you have to keep up with all offerings from multiple brands each year you must necessarily cut costs somewhere.

That being said, back on the figure, Papo is really mixing up things this year. They've put the Tupuxuara in the catalogue, which is actually being discontinued, while they didn't include this one, which undoubtedly is the centre piece of their 2019 collection. Assuming it is a 2019 piece, cause it might as well be a 2020 model that's getting an early limited release this year, hence the "limited edition" tag. I agree with people saying this can't be properly limited or exclusive, it surely means either we're getting a première in 2019 for a 2020 general release or we're getting this colour scheme for 2019 and then a different one for a 2020 general release, as guessed by others.

And did anyone notice that they called it Spinosaurus aegyptiacus? It is the first time that Papo uses a full scientific name for one of their figures, might indicate something? Maybe it is to differentiate it from the older JP inspired version? Or maybe they are introducing new accurate versions of classic dinos, and therefore we can expect new sculpts for Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops and so on?

Minmiminime

I hadn't actually noticed that, it's an interesting point! ED did say they were working with Papo, maybe they've nudged them a bit with this one. It's interesting that so far ED have only released this news about the June release on their IG page, as far as I can tell anyway. I emailed them straight away to reserve one, I bet a lot of folk have done the same 😹

I wish I could share the photos avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus , unfortunately I'm one of those unfortunate folk who simply can't, for some strange, esoteric technological reason! Whatever I try I don't seem to get the options that others do to share images. It's pretty much just a close-up of the left anterior-lateral shot that's been released, I'm sure someone will be able to add it 😊
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Shonisaurus

Thank you R @Reptilia  for your explanations and I honestly realize (I had not noticed or even mentioned) that Papo spinosaurus certainly comes with its scientific name spinosaurus aegyptiacus, so I get the impression that Papo is going to do two Rebor ranges of dinosaur figures, one of them will remain those of JP / JW dinosaurs scientifically modified and based on films and other scientific dinosaurs like this spinosaurus aegyptiacus.

I had been satisfied with the pentaceratops and gorgosaurus of Papo 2019 this year thinking that they were the new sculptures and for my joy and surprise they have made another one and as you comment they will make a giganotosaurus I hope it is based on the giganotosaurus carolini.

In my case I think that despite the criticism of this spinosaur Papo 2019 equals other spinosaurs of other brands and even improves the rest of the toy dinosaur brands and even exceeds and matches resin dinosaur figures this figure of theropod abundantly represented and with some very beautiful sculptures.

In my case before the criticism of other members of the forum towards this exceptional figure I can not judge not to be judged since I was in times past a very unfair person with this company and the same I can say with Schleich as I have repeated many times.

On the other hand, thanks for the attention provided, estimated avatar_Minmiminime @Minmiminime and for my part I have signed up to the Instagram network but unfortunately I still do not get a glimpse of those photos of the spinosaurus of everythingdinosaur. I have seen some very beautiful photographs of Collecta's baryonyx and Safari's pteranodon, apart from the pictures of Schleich's novelties for July (diabloceratops for example), the truth is that the links do not allow me to see the photos of that iconic figure of 2019 which is the spinosaurus of Papo. I have also commissioned that wonderful figure to the beloved store of everythingdinosaur. But what is said is unfair that people aware of this news have the privilege of having this limited figure and others especially children can not have this luck. What I said does not seem fair to me.

Reptilia

I clicked on the Instagram link provided above, and the only picture I can see is the one attached in Blade's post, so I think people who can't see ED's Instagram page aren't missing anything. Someone please add that picture to the first post of the thread though.

empire3569

Emailed Everything Dinosaur and am on the reserve list! They said should be released in June

Moodyraptor

Well, looks like I will be buying something from Papo this year after all  :))

Syndicate Bias

I went and reserved one. If they got any leftover after the priority list I'll get a second one

Shonisaurus

I have already reserved one. Mike has given me the notice and notice that in June it will be available on EverythingDinosaur. I give myself a stone in the teeth in having this iconic figure in the toy market and more of the Papo company so well finished and modeled. Sincerely I am sorry that many people among collectors / and especially children unfortunately are not going to get this pretty figure for now, because you never know maybe with time it will be commercialized as the tyrannosaurus running brown of Papo.

dragon53

So is 100% certain that Everything Dinosaur is the ONLY merchant that will be selling the new Spinosaur?

LeapingLaelaps

Does anyone know if it's one of those "If you don't buy it now you might not get it later" type things? I'd rather just order it when it comes out in June but I'm worried it'll be sold out by then

Syndicate Bias

I'd rather not take the chance that it might sell out. It's limited edition and most likely won't be available till end of the year or next year in a different colour once this version is gone. Email Everything Dinosaur as soon as possible.

dragon53

I live in the US and would rather buy the new Spinosaurus from Amazon or a US merchant, so I'll ask my question again:

"So is 100% certain that Everything Dinosaur is the ONLY merchant that will be selling the new Spinosaur?"

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: