News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - new for 2019

Started by Syndicate Bias, October 25, 2018, 04:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reptilia

Of course nothing's for sure, but if I were you I wouldn't worry that much, because make such a figure a limited piece in the strictest sense of the term would be a commercial suicide, which I think Papo won't commit. Most likely the limited edition will turn out to be the colour scheme, I bet that next year we'll have this Spinosaurus coloured in a different way as a regular release. Maybe it'll be cooler, like the Acrocanthosaurus, and someone will regret getting the limited one, who knows? Meanwhile I joined the reserve list too, just because I need this beast as soon as possible.

Shonisaurus

My advice as I said in another thread of the forum "better bird in hand than a hundred and flying." It is preferable to order a limited figure in a trusted site like everything else at an expensive price, as soon as possible to wait to buy it for a price double or maybe triple on eBay for example or in the best case wait months or years to find a figure of this quality and characteristics like this awesome spinosaurus by Papo. It is a unique opportunity and I say this from experience. Life is very short and you have to take advantage of opportunities and not resign yourself to wait. Then maybe it can be late.

In the case of collecting as in everything in life, "the past has no solution, the present can have it and the future nobody knows". Let's live in the present and make realistic decisions in this case with Papo's spinosaurus before it's too late.

dragon53

REPTILIA:

Thanks for the reply.
It did occur to me that Papo might release a repaint of the new Spinosaur to maximize profits on the new mold. I assume they did this with the brown Running T-Rex---correct?

postsaurischian

Quote from: dragon53 on February 03, 2019, 11:32:18 PM
I live in the US and would rather buy the new Spinosaurus from Amazon or a US merchant, so I'll ask my question again:

"So is 100% certain that Everything Dinosaur is the ONLY merchant that will be selling the new Spinosaur?"

Why should a French figure only be sold by Everything Dinosaur? It's not going to happen.

Come on people! Everybody seems too lose the mind, because of this "limited edition" hype.
It's just tactics. Papo sure knows how to make everyone place their pre-orders ;D.

Regarding the previews I will surely prefer REBOR's version.

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: postsaurischian on February 03, 2019, 11:57:04 PM
Quote from: dragon53 on February 03, 2019, 11:32:18 PM
I live in the US and would rather buy the new Spinosaurus from Amazon or a US merchant, so I'll ask my question again:

"So is 100% certain that Everything Dinosaur is the ONLY merchant that will be selling the new Spinosaur?"

Why should a French figure only be sold by Everything Dinosaur? It's not going to happen.

Come on people! Everybody seems too lose the mind, because of this "limited edition" hype.
It's just tactics. Papo sure knows how to make everyone place their pre-orders ;D.

Regarding the previews I will surely prefer REBOR's version.

Why not get all 3?  ;D

I'm getting the PNSO and Rebor one as well whenever they come out

Reptilia

Quote from: dragon53 on February 03, 2019, 11:49:08 PM
It did occur to me that Papo might release a repaint of the new Spinosaur to maximize profits on the new mold. I assume they did this with the brown Running T-Rex---correct?

Up until now there never was an exclusive or limited sculpt in the Papo line, the brown running rex has been the much sought-after in the past seven years, and it was just a colour variant. There's no reason to think that this Spinosaurus will be out only this year, in a limited run, and then discontinued. I'm not in the Papo marketing team though, so mine's just guessing. If you want to be sure to get one then just join the reserve list at ED. I'm pretty confident that other retailers will have their stocks as well, but at the moment ED is the only one offering the reserving option. Which doesn't even mean you have to pay any money in advance, because it is not a pre-order.

DragonRider02

I am thinking about Reserving one on ED, can somebody tell me if I have to pay upfront or when the item is realesed in June?

Reptilia

No, Mike doesn't ask you to pay any money in advance. If you join the reserve list you get one copy reserved, then when they have it in stock they notify you and you can decide if you want to purchase it or not.

MLMjp

To which of the various emails of everythingdinosaur should I ask for a reservation?

Reptilia

I contacted them at [email protected], as pointed out in their Instagram post. Got a reply confirming my reservation.

DragonRider02

Quote from: Reptilia on February 04, 2019, 12:48:59 AM
No, Mike doesn't ask you to pay any money in advance. If you join the reserve list you get one copy reserved, then when they have it in stock they notify you and you can decide if you want to purchase it or not.
Thanks for reply! I'll Reserve one then.
That unexpected Spino will sure bite out a rather large hole in my budget!

suspsy

I am thankful to not be the least bit interested in the Spinosaurus, but I wish everyone who is the best of luck.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Ceratosaurus

Quote from: suspsy on February 04, 2019, 01:06:41 AM
I am thankful to not be the least bit interested in the Spinosaurus, but I wish everyone who is the best of luck.
Quote from: suspsy on February 01, 2019, 01:14:30 PM
Yeah, once you get past the hype, it becomes all too clear that this is yet another Papo figure that's more monster than animal. It's definitely an improvement over the first Spinosaurus, but that's setting the bar low.

As I said before, I'm perfectly happy with my two Standard-class toys from CollectA, but I think the upcoming Safari version is probably the best out of all of them.

Also, limited edition or not, the Papo one is going to be bloody expensive. Glad I stopped collecting that brand.
Yup you've made your point. Not your style. However this brand is the reason I started collecting and I'm super excited about this.
My Prehistoric Figure Collection - https://www.flickr.com/photos/115416096@N07/albums

tanystropheus

Quote from: Ceratosaurus on February 04, 2019, 02:12:58 AM
Yeah, once you get past the hype, it becomes all too clear that this is yet another Papo figure that's more monster than animal. It's definitely an improvement over the first Spinosaurus, but that's setting the bar low.

As I said before, I'm perfectly happy with my two Standard-class toys from CollectA, but I think the upcoming Safari version is probably the best out of all of them.

Also, limited edition or not, the Papo one is going to be bloody expensive. Glad I stopped collecting that brand.
Yup you've made your point. Not your style. However this brand is the reason I started collecting and I'm super excited about this.

At the rate Papo is improving, they will clearly have a number of top scientific models in their portfolio in the future. I won't be surprised if they will someday tout a more accurate model than CollectA or WS. Those days are near. Heck, they currently have the best Gorgosaurus model out there!

Joey

Quote from: tanystropheus on February 04, 2019, 05:12:32 AM

At the rate Papo is improving, they will clearly have a number of top scientific models in their portfolio in the future. I won't be surprised if they will someday tout a more accurate model than CollectA or WS. Those days are near. Heck, they currently have the best Gorgosaurus model out there!
Maybe be because it's the only one out there! oh...well...besides the old Safari and Vivid ones, yeah I guess you're right but wait until Safari, Collecta or even Eofauna make one.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Joey on February 04, 2019, 05:34:52 AM

Maybe be because it's the only one out there! oh...well...besides the old Safari and Vivid ones, yeah I guess you're right but wait until Safari, Collecta or even Eofauna make one.

What if those other companies never release one and people simply don't buy it for no other reason than that it is a Papo?

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: tanystropheus on February 04, 2019, 06:36:25 AM

What if those other companies never release one and people simply don't buy it for no other reason than that it is a Papo?

Oh no, we can't have that! Papo and Rebor will always be inferior to any other brand aside from Schleich!

tanystropheus

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on February 04, 2019, 08:27:39 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on February 04, 2019, 06:36:25 AM

Oh no, we can't have that! Papo and Rebor will always be inferior to any other brand aside from Schleich!

I know right! What's up with these people? It's like they don't want Papo to evolve as a brand. When Papo makes some big positive steps in the right direction, they start ridiculing or demeaning all efforts  :(

I think they are afraid that Papo and Rebor might actually overhaul their brand in a manner that is similar to what happened to CollectA.

BRONSON

At the end of the day I think we are all lucky that there is so many different manufacturers of different qualitys and prices to suit all collectors, some makers I prefer their species of dinos, other makers their version and vice versa, if we didnt have this many makers we wouldnt have a choice.

hao_bao

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on February 01, 2019, 06:04:57 AM
H @hao_bao

Seems like hope beat the stages of grief

I know right! I love being proven wrong. :D

Reading through the comments, this model has sure sparked a lot of vitriol. Seems to have been generated by anxiety.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: