News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - new for 2019

Started by Syndicate Bias, October 25, 2018, 04:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ceratosaurus

The easy thing to do the last few years would've been to throw out a bunch of Jurassic World sculpts but Papo has taken on dinosaurs such as a Therizinosaurus, Ceratosaurus and Acrocanthosaurus. Figures like a Quetzalcoatlus when the easy money would've been to put out more figures from the movies. I have nothing against brands like Safari or Collecta. I think some of their sculpts are amazing but they could be so much more with the paint application and detail that brands like Papo and Rebor add to their figures. I don't mind the extra cost.
My Prehistoric Figure Collection - https://www.flickr.com/photos/115416096@N07/albums

Minmiminime

Quote from: BRONSON on February 04, 2019, 10:50:24 AM
At the end of the day I think we are all lucky that there is so many different manufacturers of different qualitys and prices to suit all collectors, some makers I prefer their species of dinos, other makers their version and vice versa, if we didnt have this many makers we wouldnt have a choice.

Aye aye to that, sir! 😁🦖 Ahem. I just wish I could limit myself to just one of each species 😱😹
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Ceratosaurus on February 04, 2019, 12:32:33 PM
The easy thing to do the last few years would've been to throw out a bunch of Jurassic World sculpts but Papo has taken on dinosaurs such as a Therizinosaurus, Ceratosaurus and Acrocanthosaurus. Figures like a Quetzalcoatlus when the easy money would've been to put out more figures from the movies. I have nothing against brands like Safari or Collecta. I think some of their sculpts are amazing but they could be so much more with the paint application and detail that brands like Papo and Rebor add to their figures. I don't mind the extra cost.

Totally agree with you Ceratosaurus.

In the variety of sculptures and toy dinosaur companies is the positive core of the matter. I celebrate that companies like Papo in this case with their brilliant spinosaurus as other companies like Schleich and Rebor are equaling in genius to the best toy dinosaur companies, for years. This should be a reason for celebration and not censorship.

yankeetrex

Would I be paying more with ED then if I wait and find it for preorder at a US based retailer?

MLMjp

My reservation has been comfirmed. :))

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: yankeetrex on February 04, 2019, 02:52:34 PM
Would I be paying more with ED then if I wait and find it for preorder at a US based retailer?

Yes. The shipping alone will be a bit. 
If it's limited to only European countries you won't be able to avoid that unless it hits Amazon maybe?

I haven't seen a price on it yet though, but it stands to reason it will be a little more as they usually are.

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Duna

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 04, 2019, 01:40:25 PM

In the variety of sculptures and toy dinosaur companies is the positive core of the matter. I celebrate that companies like Papo in this case with their brilliant spinosaurus as other companies like Schleich and Rebor are equaling in genius to the best toy dinosaur companies, for years. This should be a reason for celebration and not censorship.
I started my collection thanks to Papo, when I was little. Now I usually do a research and try to buy the most accurate to date models but I like also details and a bit of my personal taste. So I have recently purchased some other models of different lines, ie the Collecta parasaurolophus, diplo and mosasaurus, the Safari feathered T-rex, I like the Eofauna giga ... in this case I think the Papo spinosaurus is superior to the rest available (I was just to buy the Collecta version which I prefered over the more accurate Schleich new one because of the color and sharper teeth). I want that Papo spino and I will wait for it, hoping its price won't be to high. I'll also buy the Pentaceratops (I regret everyday not having bought the one that appeared (I still don't know how and why) in the small toy shop, I just close my eyes and actually SEE it with all the dinos around it. It may have been a mistake or one of the first models to be painted. But I WANT it.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Duna on February 04, 2019, 05:10:41 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 04, 2019, 01:40:25 PM

I started my collection thanks to Papo, when I was little. Now I usually do a research and try to buy the most accurate to date models but I like also details and a bit of my personal taste. So I have recently purchased some other models of different lines, ie the Collecta parasaurolophus, diplo and mosasaurus, the Safari feathered T-rex, I like the Eofauna giga ... in this case I think the Papo spinosaurus is superior to the rest available (I was just to buy the Collecta version which I prefered over the more accurate Schleich new one because of the color and sharper teeth). I want that Papo spino and I will wait for it, hoping its price won't be to high. I'll also buy the Pentaceratops (I regret everyday not having bought the one that appeared (I still don't know how and why) in the small toy shop, I just close my eyes and actually SEE it with all the dinos around it. It may have been a mistake or one of the first models to be painted. But I WANT it.

At least your eyes saw that beautiful pentaceratops of Papo, so it will give you more hope when you receive it, July is relatively close. On the other hand, according to you, Papo spinosaurus 2019 is perhaps the best, but we still have to wait for the finished Rebor and the PNSO that starts to be commercialized.

For now the best finish and detailed is the spinosaurus of Papo 2019, independently that I am also fascinated by other replicas of other brands of that strange African theropod.

Concavenator

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 03, 2019, 07:50:51 AM
I'm sad say it looks like I was right about the boney fish tail..on the other hand it's relief to know my eyes aren't that bad yet.

Well this pic has changed my opinion,honestly   :-X The first pic didn't make it justice,but this one looks much better.Actually the thing that most bothers me of the sculpt is the shrink wrapping in the lower part of the sail, more than the eel tail.And it's clearly based on Bonadonna's Spinosaurus which is an artwork I personally love.
Imo is not at all the best Spino out there, but it still looks nice ,and a lot better than the rest of Papo's theropods, with the exception of possibly the Allosaurus.
Also, despite its  monster style, it's easily one of the most accurate Papo figures, which is to thank due to its limited edition status  ;)

Concavenator

*sorry for double post*

tanystropheus

Reserved the LE Spinosaurus from Everything Dinosaur! Super excited ;D

Minmiminime

Sounds like it is going to be a limited production run 😱 https://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/blog/_archives/2019/02/04/the-new-for-2019-papo-spinosaurus.html
I suppose there's always that caveat of "for now..."
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Concavenator

Quote from: Minmiminime on February 04, 2019, 09:55:22 PM
Sounds like it is going to be a limited production run 😱 https://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/blog/_archives/2019/02/04/the-new-for-2019-papo-spinosaurus.html
I suppose there's always that caveat of "for now..."

Yeah that's what they said on FB too.Many of us were assuming that despite its seemingly "limited edition" status,it was only a marketing strategy, but it looks like it will truly be a limited edition, after all.If it turns out to be  this way,it will turn out to be way more valuable than the 2012 Brown RTR,as this Spinosaurus is a whole new sculpt, and probably Papo's most accurate dinosaur to date ( and a model of one of the most interesting dinosaurs of the moment... ::) )

I also went ahead and reserved one.  :)

Reptilia

Seems rather strange for a company like Papo to produce a figure in a limited number, especially one that have the potential to be a big seller. Maybe the production costs are too high, but I can't see why other massive Papo figures don't share the same destiny of this Spinosaurus aegyptiacus then.

Could be the will of folks at Papo to establish their dinos as some kind of exclusive items? Certainly this put them much closer to élite brands such as Sideshow rather than their usual competitors. One thing's for sure, being a limited run the quality control will be strict, and that makes the model even more exciting to acquire.

I find hard to believe that it was a top secret project though, as I mentioned before the retailer I spoke to knew about it back in december, so hardly something only a few people at the company were aware of.

And look at this lateral view, the sculpt and the colour shades are just amazing! And there's also a glimpse of the magnificent Pentaceratops' frill, seen from the back. Papo's already top quality in the paint app field simply skyrocketed in the last couple of years.

PhilSauria

I have been studying this image and the others over at ED and they probably show more detail than any pics we've seen so far (well that I have seen) - and there is certainly plenty of detail to see!

Can't tell if it has jaw articulation or not, wouldn't worry me if it did not, maybe even prefer it that way - less seams on the head. But has anyone noticed that detail on the tongue - the ridges or bumps along the edge are quite striking, artistic license to be sure but these touches and some of the other features really make for one very striking interpretation of this animal!

I am determined to have one of these on my shelves, no two ways about that!

Syndicate Bias

I'm starting to think maybe a second reservation wouldn't be a bad idea

Shonisaurus

avatar_PhilSauria @PhilSauria Although I figure that, like any Papo theropod figure will have with almost sure articulated jaw, I would celebrate that it was not like that. I like more a figure of a single piece as the Pieta by Michelangelo or the Lacoon of the Hellenistic period and I know that my opinion is totally unpopular.

Anyway I do not care with articulated jaw or not. What I want is that I get to my house without problems of abrasion, bumps, breaks and with the pupils well centered and without manufacturing defects and paint defects. I let Mike know in the mail. I hope that if you read this post take good note of my most important requests. For me, a dinosaur figure is vital, even if it is a perfect dinosaur without defects and well packed to avoid accidents in its transport. In this I recognize that in my preference in toys I am Darwinian and even Spartan (without any defect).

Shadowknight1

This is such an amazing looking dinosaur.  I asked ED to put me on the reservation list.  I do believe that it's actually a bit better than CollectA's, especially color scheme wise.  I've never been fond of the desert sand colors that they gave theirs.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

dragon53

I'm thinking of making a reservation with ED----I assume it can be cancelled if I find a US merchant that sells the new Spinosaurus?

(I emailed a US merchant yesterday and asked if they will carry the new Spinosaurus and haven't received a reply yet).

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: