News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo - new for 2019

Started by Syndicate Bias, October 25, 2018, 04:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

The new paints colors of Papo allosaurus repainted give it a much better image than its previous look.

ibijuro

I apologize if it's been asked 100 times, ive been very busy and can't keep up.

Is anywhere else taking pre/order reserve lists for the dachshund Spino?
(I see EverthingDinosaur has closed there reserve list)
Thanks

Concavenator

Quote from: ibijuro on March 12, 2019, 01:13:31 AM

Thanks

You could try and ask Urzeitshop for one, perhaps they still haven't closed their list.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: ibijuro on March 12, 2019, 01:13:31 AM

Thanks

Ask for a reservation at www.minizoo.com.au I'll give you the link,

https://www.minizoo.com.au/categories/papo/papo-2019/

I think that in this store everything is not yet booked although I think there are going to be many places to make a reservation, but just in case you contact this website if urzeitshop.de has also closed this reservation,

Contact Jason de minizoo at this email address,

infoavatar_MiniZoo @MiniZoo.com.au

Reptilia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ulodtivu9M

Allosaurus repaint, not impressed at all. Also a bit concerned on Papo taking a bad turn recently.

Just the other day I took a trip to Florence, and had the chance for the first time in maybe three years to check Papo prehistoric figures in hand. Last time I was able to find some in stores in my area was probably during the first JW movie frenzy.

There were many, and when stepping into the shop I've noticed both Carnotaurus and Dimetrodon, which I still miss in my collection. Obviously I was like "great, I'll pick them up!". When I got to the stand to inspect the figures I was shocked though, because all of them looked so bad that I initially thought they were bootlegs. But they weren't. There were two or three copies for each model, Velociraptor possibly five, and all of them seemed to be made in such a cheap plastic, a galaxy away from the usual quality of Papos. A couple of shiny new brown running rexes stood on the lowest shelf, and they looked literally fake. Bad paint app, both on the body and in details such as the eyes, the movable jaw badly placed and looking like it was dislocated. Definitely nothing I would pay the 34 euros price tag they were asking.

Out of all the shop's stock only the more recent releases - 2018 Acrocanthosaurus and 2017 Ceratosaurus - were usual Papo quality. Even the Baryonyx, which is only three years in production, looked bad. The fact is that the plastic of those older models seemed to be very, very different. Almost translucent in places, giving a rather rubbery feel overall. I did already notice it in an Allosaurus I bought from ED a couple of years ago, but I didn't care much because that sculpt is quite old, but now seems like most of Papo dinos are produced with lower quality standards. This, added to the sloppier paint apps, which we already talked about many times before, make older Papo figures rather unappealing in my eyes. The only solution I see is to get the new releases as soon as possible, cause if you wait more than a couple of years you're likely going to get a subpar version.

The brown running rex, even though a 2019 release, is no exception. I think that Papo switched to a lower quality plastic for older releases, and that sculpt is seven years old, so probably classified by the company as a secondary product, while new models are the commercial priorities.

I really hope my guesses are right, and Papo still keeps the bar high on new releases, I would hate to get a Spinosaurus or a Pentaceratops as badly done as the other ones I've seen in that shop. And I'm considering giving up collecting the older models which I still miss, focusing on the recent ones and trying to keep up each year with the novelties. That would be a shame though, but what can you do?

Edit: I watched back Kathrin's video review for the brown running rex, and her copy looks fine. Maybe I was unfortunate and found a couple of bad ones? Well, the rest of the models were bad anyways.

Concavenator

I guess it is possible that they've stopped caring so much for their older models.I have a  Papo Stegosaurus and the difference in quality between mine ( I bought it around 10 years ago or so ) and the version that is now available is pretty noticeable.Even bigger is the difference between the Carnotaurus that I have and one picture I stumbled across of one in a recent Toy Fair, whose paint job looks way sloppier To clarify, I got mine in 2013, when it was released.
And that new Allosaurus' paint app looks ridiculous compared to the original one,with such a perfect paint app.

And the thing is that Papo figures are just getting pricier,yet their quality in general is getting worse (with the exception of the new Spinosaurus, but that's a LE).

This aside, someone actually asked ED on their blog about the Spino's price and they said they couldn't say anything at the moment.

Shadowknight1

While I can't understand German, that video does give me a better idea of what the new Allosaurus repaint looks like, especially compared to the original.  Or some of the originals, at least.  The Allosaurus has had minor fading in quality as time has gone on.  I noticed this when I was forced to rebuy one when my original, my very first Papo, took a tumble from atop my entertainment center and smacked into my Playstation 3, losing quite a bit of its paint.  This new one, to me, seems more vibrant, which I really like.  I do wish it looked closer to the promotional picture, but there's also always going to be individual variation.  I like it.  I plan to get it either from ED or Dan's as I trust those guys to make sure we get the best ones unlike sellers on Amazon or eBay who would just grab one and toss it in the shipping box.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Syndicate Bias

http://stores.dansdinosaurs.com/spinosaurus-2019-by-papo/

The Papo Acrocanthosaurus is 37 in their website minus shipping...the spino is only 40 U.S Dollars which makes me believe this limited Edition Papo won't be more than thirty something pounds total from ED.

So I was wrong about the 70 dollar price tag but that's purely because the Mexican company Paladinos tends to charge a little higher than others like ED and DD.

I have an EBay seller I recommended last year to get the papo 2018 novelties dirt cheap for the same shipping speed as ED.

I asked them and they will be getting some spinos so I'll wait for them first since I got their 2018 papo Acro for just 26 total dollars.  And their Theri for just 24 with shipping included. I'll be spending about half of what everyone else will on the spino with them lol

paintingdinos

Its important to clarify that the price listed on Dan's website is a deposit price. From that same page (lower down in the description):

"Note: This listing features an initial deposit price. Buyers will be contacted when the item is in stock for any remaining payment due before shipping (Pricing to be determined)."

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: paintingdinos on March 16, 2019, 05:10:02 PM
Its important to clarify that the price listed on Dan's website is a deposit price. From that same page (lower down in the description):

"Note: This listing features an initial deposit price. Buyers will be contacted when the item is in stock for any remaining payment due before shipping (Pricing to be determined)."

Yes they've always done this. The other part of the price is in shipping usually from Dan's Dinosaurs as I have seen from them for years

Shonisaurus

I like the repainting of allosaurus of Papo 2019 but as Reptilia says I agree with the quality of the figures of Papo over the years. I bought Papo's spinosaurus (first version as I call it) and unfortunately it deteriorated and became sticky material. I took the resolution last year to buy a new spinosaurus to replace the previous one (magnificent detailed and hyper-realistic figure) and I was disappointed with the new version I bought it in an online store I do not know exactly (I do not remember) if it was in urzeitshop or shop .modellpferdeversand.de and I saw that Papo's spinosaurus material was of less detailed lower quality, the horrible paint even the aspect in size had decreased in quality it was a cheap plastic and sorry for the expression.

Papo unfortunately low in quality in its products of dinosaurs spent the years such was my disappointment that I gave the new version to a nephew-grandson of mine and I stayed with the old sticky spinosaurus. I understand that Papo's dinosaurs have to be bought as if they were "just out of the oven". If you are interested in your figures over the years, I have seen physical and online stores of complete confidence how their figures degenerate in terms of modeling, details and painting. Your Reptilia problem is not an isolated case.

On the other hand, although I really like the new repainting of allosaurus, I see that it is very different from the prototype. It is less detailed and its paint and detail is of lower quality. Anyway, I'll buy it in my store all my life. But what has been said are not only worse the figures of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals of Papo over the years but physical figures are worse as in this video of Rupi Bolz than their promotional figures or we see in the exhibitions. This causes me frustration sincerely.  :-\

LeapingLaelaps

I'm so disappointed to hear about the figure quality. I'm not going to get any figures until after I save up for the next BotM series (Ceratopsians), so I hope that by the time I can get some Papo's they don't just deteriorate and fall apart :'(

Killekor

I think that it's a shame that Papo it's decreasing the quality of their figures. If they continue to do like that I'll be not surprised if they make the same end that Bullyland made, although not stopping on making dinosaurs. And they would deserve that destiny. Sorry if I look rude, but that's my opinion.

Quote from: Reptilia on March 16, 2019, 12:00:04 PM
I would hate to get a Spinosaurus or a Pentaceratops as badly done as the other ones I've seen in that shop

I hope that this will not happen. If I'll receive a bad quality Spinosaurus I'll never get a Papo figure again, new or old, good or bad, even if it's a Sinornithosaurus.

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Concavenator

I'm not sure I actually understand...so you pay the 40$ they're asking for the Spinosaurus, and then, they will ask you for more...or you just pay the model now ( that costs those 40$)!and then you pay the shipping when it releases?

On the other hand Papo's price for their recent pieces has become wanton.On Dan's Dinosaurs, the new Allo costs 35$ whereas the old one costs 30$...So the new, sloppily painted one costs 5$ more than the old, majestic one? I know it isn't much of a deal but it is significative.That virtually the same exact figure costs more, and yet the paint app is waay worse.I am not blaming Dan at all, but Papo for their recent prices.That said,if we compare the upcoming Spino's price to the Acro's , it's very fair ( in spite of their Acro being expensive already)

paintingdinos

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on March 16, 2019, 08:20:13 PM

Yes they've always done this. The other part of the price is in shipping usually from Dan's Dinosaurs as I have seen from them for years

Final prices are listed for all other pre-order Papo toys, and this message is not on any these (or other) pending pre-sales. If it was the shipping charge alone then I'm sure this message would be on the other as-of-yet unreleased models.

Perhaps someone would like to shoot Dan an email and ask so we can all know for sure. 

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator
If what Syndicate Bias said is correct then you pay for the model upfront and then shipping once its ready to ship. I have my doubts about this; I don't see how Dan's would have the pricing info when no other retailer does yet, so my guess is its a placeholder price that will be adjusted once the final retail price is known.

Concavenator

Perhaps someone would like to shoot Dan an email and ask so we can all know for sure. 

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator
If what Syndicate Bias said is correct then you pay for the model upfront and then shipping once its ready to ship. I have my doubts about this; I don't see how Dan's would have the pricing info when no other retailer does yet, so my guess is its a placeholder price that will be adjusted once the final retail price is known.

I have already sent Dan a message, when he answers, I will share the answer with you all.  ;)

Reptilia

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on March 16, 2019, 04:23:46 PM
The Allosaurus has had minor fading in quality as time has gone on.  I noticed this when I was forced to rebuy one when my original, my very first Papo, took a tumble from atop my entertainment center and smacked into my Playstation 3, losing quite a bit of its paint.

You must be lucky then. As I mentioned in the past I went through four Allosaurus models to eventually get a good one, and the one I currently have in my collection is a first generation piece, or something pretty close to it. The first two were very badly painted, with some colour shades of the original paint scheme completely absent. The third one, that I got from ED, was of an overall darker tone, and made of that cheaper plastic that I said before. I bought all the first three in 2015/16, and the one from ED I was told was coming from a new stock. So in my experience the Allosaurus has had a huge decrease in quality over the years.

Luckily I've got most of the old models basically perfect, quality wise, and since 2016 I've got hold of most of the new releases. Those that I missed I still have time to catch up with, maybe I will hurry and get them in the coming months with the 2019 novelties. What's really upsetting is that I have to give up to a couple of great ones like the Carnotaurus and Dimetrodon, cause it seems they're gone at this point. I'm sure that if I order them online and ask the seller to check the figures before shipping I would get bad ones anyway.

I wish I started collecting earlier. Oh well, RIP my complete Papo collection I guess.

Shonisaurus

I understand that you must buy the news of Papo "fresh out of the oven" to avoid unpleasant surprises buying them after the years of production. Papo in his figures is like a photograph that at first looks good and the same can be said of his photocopy but as successive photocopies are made of the copy of the photograph, the image degrades. The same goes for the dinosaurs and prehistoric animals of Papo. The spinosaurus that I have in my collection is Papo's old sticky spinosaurus, the successive ones (I have seen them in toy or modeling stores) differ negatively from the original in a dramatic way, there is a loss of quality of the figure in every way . I'm not at all surprised by Rupi Bolz's video commenting on the low quality of the old allosaurus and how the new repainting of 2019 differs from the one shown in the prototypes. In that other companies do not make those same mistakes. It's a shame about Papo.

Reptilia

Perhaps avatar_Mironimus @Mironimus or avatar_Everything_Dinosaur @Everything_Dinosaur could chime in and say something about the quality issue, being them retailers and handling and/or dealing with those figures almost on a daily basis. They're also in touch with the company, Mike at least, so maybe they can report this straight to the source for us collectors. Am I asking too much?

dragon53

What are the chances Amazon-USA will carry the new Spinosaurus Limited Edition?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: