News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA - new for 2019

Started by Halichoeres, November 02, 2018, 03:23:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

Seems like 2019 is CollectA's year!  ;D
Finally, after so gosh darn long, we have an edaphosaurus. An my oh my is it beautiful! Looks a lot better than their Dimetrodon, really like the choice of colours on this one. It's perplexing how CollectA can do colour schemes as good as this, and produce horrid, lazy and uninspired colour schemes like the Estemmenosuchus and Dimetrodon just  the year before. Easily replaces the Bullyland one I've been hunting for so long.

Well what a coincidence  ::), a carnotaurus. I like this carnotaurus more than the Safari one. I personally feel that this one is more natural looking, and has the better colour scheme as well. Could've used a bit more patterning on the other parts of the body, and the dorsal osteoderms are a bit too pronounced for my liking, but overall this is a very nice figure.
Do the legs seem a bit too long? Since carnotaurus recently got a proportion update: (credit to franoys)

Looking forward to picking both of these up. I honestly wouldn't mind CollectA pushing out fewer, but higher quality figures per year, quality over quantity is the way to go.

Halichoeres

Few things have made me happier than reading "CollectA have expressed a wish to increase the number of Palaeozoic creatures represented in their range." Edaphosaurus is a good start. Definite buy.

If the Carnotaurus were part of the standard line, it might be 1:40, but it looks like it'll be about 1:30 just like the new Safari and the Carnegie. The legs look too long to me, so I'll stick with the Safari.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

Awesome! The edaphosaurus is very cool. It is the edaphosaurus that I had always wanted to have. I'm glad Collecta has done one and on a large scale, I mean a larger size than the edaphosaurus of Bullyland. It is a very poorly represented species in the toy market and I am truly happy for this choice of Collecta obscure and rare figures in the market of toys of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals are those that I like. It's even longer than your dimetrodon. It is a dream come true. One of my wishes has come true by Collecta is a figure of this iconic pelicosaur who wanted a long time ago.

On the other hand the carnotaurus of Collecta is very cool with paint colors more pleasant than the ceratosaurus and more realistic. It is a very detailed figure at first sight and I would sincerely prefer that it did not have an articulated jaw (I say this with all due respect to the rest of the DTF members). Leaving aside that personal appreciation of mine is a very well modeled figure will make a perfect duo with the Safari carnotaurus of the great Doug Watson, will be two different interpretations of that emblematic creature in paleontology discovered by José Bonaparte.

Thank you very much Collecta for the two new figures!

SidB

For the first time I'm sorely tempted to expand my collection into this range -they're that good ! I really appreciate the improvement in the painting.

Jose S.M.

The Edaphosaurus looks great! I like the Carno and I prefer it's feet over the Safari one but I prefer everything else of the Safari Carno.

Patrx

Whoah! First impressions of both of these are really positive. Looking forward to what's next :D

Faelrin

An Edaphosaurus?! :o Where they checking our suggestions here or what? I am so pleased with it though (although the feet look a little goofy, from the toes being in the air, but probably due to it being warped, but it is such a silly looking thing that I'm okay with that). And wow do I love the color scheme.

The Carnotaurus is looking nice too, although I'm not entirely sure about the spikes along the back. It doesn't look bad with them (it does give it more of a devilish look), but not quite full on with the accuracy in that regard. Nonetheless I'm glad to see them do one (although after Fallen Kingdom pushing it back into popularity, it was probably only a matter of time. Now if only Baryonyx could follow suit). Articulated jaw would be nice, but I could live without it. Might be going on my wishlist.

Here's to hoping I can pick up any of these (later) next year, and any of the 2018 ones (such as the Dunkleosteus, Estemmenosuchus, and Iguanodon, and probably the squirrel mimic, plus whatever else such as the prehistoric marine tube), that I've been behind with getting thanks to my near year round continuous spending on the Mattel Jurassic line.

Edit: At the very least I need to get their Paleozoic ones (maybe not the Dimetrodon. Not a huge fan of it really, although it would complete the "set"). Really hope they keep making Paleozoic species. I mean a Tiktaalik or Diplocaulus would be awesome additions.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

ITdactyl

Oh wow... I might end up with 3 carnos next year (this, Safari's and Kaiyodo's)...  and here I keep saying I don't collect theropods.

I really like the peaceful look they gave the edaphosaurus, and even the carno (despite the open mouth).  I think it's something with the squinting eyes... (or it's just me...)

on a very delayed reaction; what's up with that pterosaur.  I thought pterosaurs are supposed to be plantigrade (or is this outdated information?).  'Also not a big fan of that logo on the crest.  Ah, who am I kidding - I'll probably end up getting that as well. ;D

Sauropelta

The Edaphosaurus reminds me of a sailfin dragon. Good color choice they went with. Both Safari & CollectA Carno are about the same to me but prefer no stand.
Sauropelta (Meaning 'lizard shield') is a genus of nodosaurid dinosaur that existed in the Early Cretaceous Period of North America. One species (S. edwardsorum) has been named although others may have existed. Anatomically, Sauropelta is one of the most well-understood nodosaurids, with fossilized remains recovered in the U.S. states of Wyoming, Montana, and possibly Utah.

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on November 09, 2018, 02:22:18 AM
https://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/blog/_archives/2018/11/09/new-collecta-models-2019-part-2.html

EDAPHOSAURUS!!! YES, YES, YESSSSS!!!  :D :)) ;D

And Carnotaurus! Yes, the overlap with Safari continues, but damned if this one looks very swell indeed! No mention as to whether it has an articulated jaw.

Bring on the next reveal!

Amazing! Absolutely love the colors on the Carnotaurus. And, the Edaphosaurus is a Day 1 purchase  ^-^. Finally, the Bullyland version has been unseated. Beautiful colors on both models. CollectA is improving!

tanystropheus

Quote from: ITdactyl on November 09, 2018, 06:32:20 AM
Oh wow... I might end up with 3 carnos next year (this, Safari's and Kaiyodo's)...  and here I keep saying I don't collect theropods.

'Also not a big fan of that logo on the crest.  Ah, who am I kidding - I'll probably end up getting that as well. ;D

I noticed that as well. Subliminal messages. They support pacman?

Minmiminime

Yes. Yes, please take my money for both. I'm so pleased they haven't given the Carno warpaint, it looks superb. As for the Edaphosaurus, this was a childhood favourite and finally it has been done justice!! I am so hyped for these two 🤯
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

ceratopsian

The thought of having an Edaphosaurus makes me want to dance!  Let's hope it sells really well so we get more Permian animals in the future. It's a good paint scheme too.  Nevertheless, I think hard about whether to ask Martin Garratt to repaint it so that I makes a display pair with the CollectA Dimetrodon he did for me.  I like the colour scheme on the Carnotaurus too.

Ravonium

My opinions on the 2nd wave of reveals:

1:20 Edaphosaurus: Good to see another highly requested genus being made (and one from the Palaeozoic era as well). In terms of paintjob, it is a massive improvement over the Dimetrodon (CollectA, this is how you make a naturalistic camouflage scheme), and the sculpt doesn't look bad either. Definitely getting this one.
Scale: 1:18 for a 3.5 meter long individual (not nearly as misleading as the next one)

1:40 Carnotaurus: To be honest, of the possible models that coincided with Safari Ltd models, this was the one I wanted to be made the least (reason for that later in the post). That being said, I like this model more than the Safari Ltd version; the colour scheme is more appealing (infact it may prove to be one of the best CollectA has ever done) and something about it looks more naturalistic. I do agree with others, though, that the spikes along the back are a bit over the top though, and then there's the main reason I'm not buying it...
Scale: 1:28 for a 7.8 meter long individual (I saw this coming, but that doesn't mean I'm happy about it)

Overall, another consistently good set of reveals, even if one of then is labelled misleadingly. 2019 is the first year in a while that seems like it may be the year of CollectA (thanks to a combination of factors).

DragonRider02

Ha, I knew we're getting a Deluxe Carnotaurus!  >:D This one is definitely more 'Carnotaurish' than Safari's, especially the head. I only feel like the body should be a bit longer? Or legs shorter? Idk. The colors are a bit boring though. I prefer the Safari's colors. I Might get both.

Shonisaurus

My opinion about the new figures of dinosaurs of Collecta 2019.

Both the edaphosaurus and the carnotaurus of Collecta 2019 are more finished figures, his painting is more realistic and more careful. His sculpture is outstanding and excellent. Although I sincerely take the carnotaurus of other companies for its greater scientific precision, I welcome that Collecta has done such a good abelisaur figure. They are two gifts for my eyes.

On the other hand the edaphosaurus is one of the many figures dear to me that made a prehistoric animal toy and I celebrate that Collecta has been encouraged to make a figure so well made that leaves in the background other figures of this famous pelycosaurus between the amateurs (like me) and connoisseurs (not my case unfortunately) in the world of prehistoric animals and dinosaurs in general.

I am for my part happy with all the figures of Collecta have improved over last year and that for me is worth more than all the material goods of this world, which a company is surpassing or Collecta in this case that concerns us as any other that we try in the forum.

I said last year that gradually all prehistoric animal figures were going to improve all the toy dinosaur companies and I see that I was not wrong.

My congratulations to the friendly company of Collecta 2019.  :)

suspsy

This is not prehistory-related, but CollectA is finally breaking into the realm of fantasy. They've got a unicorn stallion and unicorn foal coming out for next year. Guess that means we can expect a dragon sometime in the future.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

ITdactyl

Quote from: tanystropheus on November 09, 2018, 07:16:37 AM
I noticed that as well. Subliminal messages. They support pacman?

;D ;D ;D Hah!  I think the artist was going for the eyespot pattern in a peacock tail feather - but the color choice and the way the paint was applied didn't make the final image look natural.  I'm worried how the production copies would look.

CMIPalaeo

I'm not that interested in Carnotaurus, but this one looks better to me than Safari's does. Might consider it, but since it's large I'll probably end up passing. I've always kind of like the smaller size of CollectA's figures, makes them cheaper and less space-consuming, but they certainly seem to make more large figures now.
Once a man is tired of dinosaurs, he is tired of life; for there is in a dinosaur all that life can afford.

LeapingLaelaps

Yes, finally an Edaphosaurus! And the colors aren't too bad either :P

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: