News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mojo: New for 2019

Started by Patrx, November 14, 2018, 03:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrx

Brace yourselves, folks:

From Facebook: "Our first flying dinosaurs is soaring into 2019 in the form of this awesome Tropeognathus! And there's still 2 more prehistoric reveals to come!"

Dunkleosteus

Triceratops

Roselaar

It's okay... Looks kinda mummified. And I'm not fond of the yellow wings. But I like this choice of species, rather inspired!

suspsy

Ugh. It really does look like a shrivelled up mummy. Pass.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Shonisaurus

I sincerely welcome that Mojo has made the tropeognathus a very rare pterosaur. I do not know if any brand of toys known as PVC has made such a prehistoric animal.

Because of its appearance, I'm afraid it will be small. On the other hand he looks thin and wrinkled. Nothing to do with the tropeognathus drawn by the great paleoartist John Sibbick the colors of the wings of said pterosaur are sincerely too striking. On the other hand, it reminds me of an Egyptian god of hell like Set for his fearsome aspect and I say this with all due respect to the sculptor of Mojo who, by the way, congratulated him for making a very rare pterosaur in the toy market ( I'm going to be the first to buy such a PVC sculpture when it goes on sale) but honestly for me it is demonizar with that sculpture to a kind of prehistoric animal that nothing was terrible in life except the hunting of small dinosaurs or carrion like large pterosaurs (such as the quetzalcoatlus or hatzegopteryx) most of the pterosaurs were pacific piscivores or eaters of small invertebrates and fruit. Definitely the pterosaurs were the antecedents in the Evolution of the current birds) I do not understand because in the comics, movies and literary stories a sympathetic creature like flying reptiles is degraded to a mere creature of terror because of its unattractive appearance. That same point with Mojo, I understand that they could have given a paleoartistic interpretation more pleasant and more accurate.

Anyway, I celebrate that Mojo has made a tropeognathus that would be the first pterosaur of his species that he would have on my shelves and apart from that as a counterpart I celebrate that he does not have articulated jaws and that he is in a position to fly for me is more practical the flying pterosaurs because they do not occupy as much space as the pterosaurs in a sedentary position. My best wishes and respects to the sculptor, and what I have said that I have finally made a known company of toy dinosaurs a tropeognathus, in this case the company Mojo.

Sim

:-\  Just yesterday I was thinking how unpleasant pterosaur figures without pycnofibers are.  And somewhat related to that, how there's a lack of good Rhamphorhynchus figures. 

Sauropelta

Both the brown and yellow look too simple and ugly - especially the brown. Needs more color variation and yellow would look better on the face/beak area. Hands and feet need to be a different color too, like black or pink similar to birds.
Sauropelta (Meaning 'lizard shield') is a genus of nodosaurid dinosaur that existed in the Early Cretaceous Period of North America. One species (S. edwardsorum) has been named although others may have existed. Anatomically, Sauropelta is one of the most well-understood nodosaurids, with fossilized remains recovered in the U.S. states of Wyoming, Montana, and possibly Utah.

Patrx

Quote from: Sim on November 14, 2018, 04:27:40 PM
And somewhat related to that, how there's a lack of good Rhamphorhynchus figures.

Yeah, whatever happened to Rhamphorhynchus? When I was a kid, it was basically the definitive smaller pterosaur. It seems to have occupied the cultural space currently home to Dimorphodon. Buut, let's not get too off-topic.

Interestingly, I offered some general advice to Mojo via Facebook in reaction to this pterosaur figure, and their representative seemed receptive to the feedback, which is nice to see. I do think Mojo have the potential to make better prehistorics. A lot of their modern animals look great, I think they just need to do more research.

DinoToyCollector

To put it in a diplomatic way, it's the best Tropeognathus figure I know ... I'm also not very fond of the textures.

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus : You said some nice and true words about the portrayal of flying reptiles - On point.

Minmiminime

"...first flying dinosaurs..." 🙈 D'oh!! On the plus side, it's brilliantly well sculpted for a voodoo gargoyle. It's a reluctant but nonetheless definite nope from me
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

ITdactyl

Got too excited when I saw the thumbnail on Facebook... but it swiftly dove into my "maybe" list after seeing the bigger photos.

It looks very much like the Joe Tucciarone artwork from 1997. 

LeapingLaelaps

Ehhhh...

It has no pycnofibers and looks sort of like a mummy, but Pterosaurs are my absolute weakness and it's an interesting species... It's going on my wishlist.

suspsy

I wish Mojo would make more prehistoric mammals. That seems to be their strength.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Gwangi

At least it has a pteroid bone. Just looking for the silver lining here.

KeU

Did they actually say flying dinosaur?

DragonRider02

I think it's the ugliest Pterosaur toy I have seen in a while... It looks like a zombie lol
A bit of paint on it's beak would help it a lot. And maybe some patterns on the wings.

But for Mojo it's decent, I guess

Bokisaurus

Oh myyyy :)) They sure are following Schleiche's footsteps ... from 2 years ago ;D

Mononykus

Wow, it looks like a hairless Shar Pei.

But at least they got the crest right.

And if that is an actual quote, it is terrible, not just for the "flying dinosaur" but also its multiple grammatical errors.

Incidentally, it would also serve as an Ornithocheirus, as these two genera would be difficult to distinguish externally except for size, based on what is known about them (and Ornithocheirus models could be used as Tropeognathus).

Patrx

Shonisaurus

B @Bokisaurus Honestly for me Mojo last year made quite acceptable figures such as deinonychus, baryonyx and even giganotosaurus the problem is that they are not painted properly. They are not bad figures from my perspective or way of thinking. To be a humble toy company I do not think that Mojo makes bad figures. Although I share that they could improve. The baryonyx and the deinonychus of Mojo 2018 I recommend them. On the other hand Schleich lately is making outstanding figures such as spinosaurus and to a lesser extent the dimorphodon of 2019.

avatar_suspsy @suspsy On the other hand sincerely Mojo has made very good prehistoric mammals I agree with you.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Patrx on November 14, 2018, 09:13:37 PM
For clarity:

"#educational" That stings.

Quote from: LeapingLaelaps on November 14, 2018, 06:28:15 PM
It has no pycnofibers and looks sort of like a mummy.
It just needs a bit of white dry brushing, and maybe some Hieroglyphs on the wings.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: