News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mojo: New for 2019

Started by Patrx, November 14, 2018, 03:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

Welp, heres to hoping... (regarding if the final product for dunkleosteus is going to look like the promo pics)

Shonisaurus

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy As affirmation by Mojo is already good news, reason to celebrate, will be one of the best dunkleosteus made by a brand of prehistoric toy animals. I celebrate it.

Halichoeres

Oh, another Dunkleosteus. I might buy it to review. Compared to the CollectA, it's better in the integument department (it doesn't have those stupid Gemuendina armor chunks on the flank and it's a nicer color scheme), but worse on the oral plates. It's hard to be sure from these photos, but it also doesn't look like they put the eyeballs inside the sclerotic ring like the Schleich.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ItsTwentyBelow

It's not a bad Dunkleosteus. I'd buy it if I saw it somewhere for a good price, but I wouldn't go out of my way to track it down.

More ancient fish diversity, please.

Faelrin

The Dunkleosteus doesn't look bad, but it was outdone by CollectA's from last year, in terms of accuracy at least. That said, I do like the color scheme (minus the trend of coloring the plates white like teeth), but I don't trust it to look that way after what happened with this year's batch of figures (especially that poor Deinonychus). Safe to say this is the second most represented Paleozoic creature after Dimetrodon at this point. Better late then never since I was always fascinated by this one as a child, and obviously still am. At this point only Papo has yet to do one, out of the major figure companies.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

I'm sad that Mojo's 2019 stuff is being revealed, yet the blog has yet to have a review of any of their 2018 stuff.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

LeapingLaelaps

Quote from: suspsy on November 17, 2018, 11:41:26 PM
I'm sad that Mojo's 2019 stuff is being revealed, yet the blog has yet to have a review of any of their 2018 stuff.

Yeah, I'd really like to see a review of their Baryonyx, personally

Takama

Quote from: suspsy on November 17, 2018, 11:41:26 PM

I plan on Buying one of them now that Amazon and Dejankins has them. and Yes i will Review it.  I been waiting for them to get these in because of my limits when it comes to online shoping

mgaguilar

Quote from: tanystropheus on November 16, 2018, 02:00:16 PM
Quote from: Takama on November 16, 2018, 11:24:17 AM
Next up is

A Fish

Im sure we all know what this is

It looks to be a slam dunk for Mojo.

Agreed. I LOVE this scheme. It's so rare to find a green-colored fish in nature and in figures, and this color-scheme just exemplifies how unique this beast is.

...let's just hope the final product matches the promo figures.

PhilSauria

I know that there are a few Dunks out there, at least five or more, and I have a couple of them myself but I for one will be adding this one to that collection when it becomes available.

tanystropheus

As a pterosaur fan, I can't believe I've missed the Tropeognathus. Now that I think of it, I probably should have missed it. It looks dead. Even more dead than the Papo Pteranodon. On the plus side, I do like the yellow wings - it's very distinctive.

Takama

Ok I would post pictures, But my Image hosting site is acting up again

The third model is another Triceratops. and its a major improvement over all of the previous ones

Flaffy

Thx for the heads up avatar_Takama @Takama
Well, it's decent. Won't be picking this one up, but at least the Mojo shelves in toy shops will be easier on the eyes now, assuming said toy shops are willing to stock the new offerings and not pull a CollectA (cough stocking 2009 models cough)

Compared to their previous attempt

Shonisaurus

It is logical that Mojo makes an umpteenth figure of triceratops. They are very sold animals in the market. Honestly is good figure rubbing to remarkable but it is not a figure that I am passionate and not for being the known ceraptósido. In my case I am not understood in paleontology and zoology but I understand that there are figures of triceratops that sincerely attract me more. That does not mean that I find their paint colors acceptable (perhaps for many boring ones) but for me very realistic.

In my case I will buy it in order to complete my Mojo collection, I am satisfied with any figure but I would have sincerely wanted a protoceratops, a centrosaurus, monoclonius or a chasmosaurus but I sincerely understand why Mojo as the other companies focus so much on figures such as triceratops or tyrannosaurus (they are very popular figures among children) although for collectors as it is my case I would like more variety of prehistoric animals.

Without a doubt I understand Mojo want to earn money among the largest audience (children) and do not want to risk money and understand it.

Finishing is an improved triceratops figure with respect to previous replicas of the Mojo brand.

ITdactyl

That new trike is a big improvement over previous attempts.

Probably just me, but there's something weird about the hip posture - like it's being pushed down somewhat.  That said, I like it.

SidB

Yes, this is a dramatic improvement, assuming that they don't go and spoil it with neon colors. I notice, though, that the two outer toes of both front feet are hooved and touching the ground, an error which continues to be made by some paleoartists. For example, this years much improved Schleich trike (which I appreciate and own) makes the same mistake.

Minmiminime

That's really not bad! Nothing ground-breaking, but perfectly decent. It looks better than anything they released last year (even the promo pics), which bodes well. I like the pose!
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

PhilSauria

On the plus side it is better than the previous model from them, with its weird fat tail and strange feet. As has been pointed out the feet are still an issue on this one but that said it's on my list. After Sauropods I like collecting Ceratopsians but I did not add the earlier release from them to my herd for the reasons mentioned, however I think I can find a place for this one.

tanystropheus

The pose is naturalistic overall, but the Tri also appears mildly burdened.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Faelrin on November 17, 2018, 11:12:16 PM
The Dunkleosteus doesn't look bad, but it was outdone by CollectA's from last year, in terms of accuracy at least. That said, I do like the color scheme (minus the trend of coloring the plates white like teeth), but I don't trust it to look that way after what happened with this year's batch of figures (especially that poor Deinonychus). Safe to say this is the second most represented Paleozoic creature after Dimetrodon at this point. Better late then never since I was always fascinated by this one as a child, and obviously still am. At this point only Papo has yet to do one, out of the major figure companies.

Hmm, in what ways? I feel like the two are kind of a wash. They both get the tail wrong, which means the entire profile of the animal is a little wrong. The CollectA is better on the oral plates and lips. But the CollectA's texture is the least realistic of any Dunk except the Schleich, so in that sense the Mojo is pretty clearly superior.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: