News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

big sauropod figures

Started by dyno77, November 15, 2018, 07:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remko

Remko

And Barosaurus.

T @thomasw100 hope this helps. If you need anymore shots, just let me know.

thomasw100

Remko thanks a lot for posting the additional pictures of these large sauropods. The sculpting seems fairly nice and really detailed. Now the question would be if there is some professional finishing service in Europe that would take care of the assembly of the parts and a custom painting. Unfortunately I lack the technical and artistic skills to do this myself.

Remko

Quote from: thomasw100 on June 18, 2023, 09:00:39 AMRemko thanks a lot for posting the additional pictures of these large sauropods. The sculpting seems fairly nice and really detailed. Now the question would be if there is some professional finishing service in Europe that would take care of the assembly of the parts and a custom painting. Unfortunately I lack the technical and artistic skills to do this myself.

No problem, as for a finishing service, there are several in Europe.
But that depends on where you live.

I don't have the skills to paint these either, but am reluctant to ship them internationally. Even disassembled they are already large. Assembled even more so.

Best way is to find some service in your own country and be able to bring them and pick them up yourself by car.

thomasw100

Dear Remko, I am in Germany, very close to the border with the Netherlands and Belgium. So any option in this region would work for me.

Remko

Quote from: thomasw100 on June 18, 2023, 11:07:52 AMDear Remko, I am in Germany, very close to the border with the Netherlands and Belgium. So any option in this region would work for me.

In that case, you could contact Bravomodels.

https://instagram.com/bravomodels.mx?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

thomasw100

Dear Remko, thank you for pointing me to Bravomodels. They seem to do really nice work.

One question: I have the W-Dragon Giraffatitan. It has the brown color. I have seen somewhere pictures that show a gray version of this model. Was this an official color variant of the model or may this just be a repaint that someone has done?

ceratopsian

Another option to consider might be Ben van Steenberge in Belgium. He's done some excellent work for me.

postsaurischian

Quote from: thomasw100 on June 19, 2023, 05:59:47 AMOne question: I have the W-Dragon Giraffatitan. It has the brown color. I have seen somewhere pictures that show a gray version of this model. Was this an official color variant of the model or may this just be a repaint that someone has done?

The blueish grey version is W-Dragon's official second edition ;) .
 When I first saw it I thought: "Damn! I would have preferred that one."
 Now - having the blueish grey HAOLONGGOOD Apatosaurus - I'm glad I own the brown version.

Wally-217

Long time lurker here - I just painted the Argentinosaurus kit I got from Lana Time - truly a mesmerizing model. The Argentinosaurus was ordered at 1/45 scale, the Barosaurus behind was ordered at 1/60 scale, since their measurements are a little off. This was to fit a ~33.5m and 38m specimen respectively (measured along the spine) at my display scale of 1/40. The Barosaurus is $150 unpainted, the Argentinosaurus was ~$180 (unpainted) but that may have been at a discount price as my last package got lost in the mail (UK side, not their side). I can happily say that these are some of the best purchases I've ever made. As you can see, they are out of scale with W-dragon's Giraffatitan. They were quite happy to print both at custom sizes, so if you're after one at a true 1/35 scale it might be worth getting a quote for a 1/40 scale print, which would equate to a <33m specimen.

Some more comparisons and close ups:
Spoiler

[close]

For what it's worth, the model kit is pretty nice to paint. I sprayed mine solid grey then drybrushed all the rest - lighter for the underside, a few different shades of light brown to dirt it up, then I mixed some iridescent acrylic medium with a light blue for the head and tail. I got careless around the head and painted out some of the details but the scales are defined enough that it drybrushes extremely well. You could do it yourself for about £15 without much skill. The barosaurus was the first model I painted and I unfortunately painted out a lot of the details in the process. I regret not spraying that one.

Stegotyranno420

Welcome W @Wally-217 , love the sauropods.

thomasw100

Wow these are just amazing, congratulations to these truly impressive models. I have been thinking about these for a while, but could not make up my mind to really go for it.

Can you explain your comments about the scale of the models a bit more? My understanding was that they offer them in 1:35 and 1:70 scale. But obviously this is not correct. So one can also order them in a custom scale?

What material are they actually made of?

Wally-217

Quote from: thomasw100 on July 11, 2023, 08:02:15 AMWow these are just amazing, congratulations to these truly impressive models. I have been thinking about these for a while, but could not make up my mind to really go for it.

Can you explain your comments about the scale of the models a bit more? My understanding was that they offer them in 1:35 and 1:70 scale. But obviously this is not correct. So one can also order them in a custom scale?

What material are they actually made of?
I just asked them via email if they could print it at a specific size and they added a 1/60 option under the kit (I originally asked about 1/58 but I get the impression that was too pedantic). On the website, there's a bunch of extra sizes which I imagine are from similar cases. The Argentinosaurus was custom since I had discounts applied. Not sure if they're printed in-house or by a third party but on both cases they were happy to oblige. It's 3D printed resin. It's hollow but still pretty strong and not too brittle. I put a lot of force through it when I glued it and caught the tails a couple times with no issue (still recommend being careful with it though). The print lines aren't visible except on a few artifacts on the overhangs like the belly and the foot.

Remko

I have to say that, eventhough I love my giant versions, these somewhat smaller figures look amazing as well.

W @Wally-217 what kind of tools did you use for the spraypainting? Just spraycans or an airbrush set?
That's a really good tip and it's nice to know that even without much skill you achieved this quality.

thomasw100

Quote from: Remko on July 11, 2023, 12:42:32 PMI have to say that, eventhough I love my giant versions, these somewhat smaller figures look amazing as well.

W @Wally-217 what kind of tools did you use for the spraypainting? Just spraycans or an airbrush set?
That's a really good tip and it's nice to know that even without much skill you achieved this quality.

Interesting discussion. Honestly I am still somewhat confused about what would be the proper size (and hence scale) of these three species Argentinosaurus, Barosaurus and Maraapunisaurus. I kind of understand that the length estimate that Lana (or more correctly the studio that produces these models) used for 1:35 scale is significantly too high. But what would be the proper length estimate of the three species? Several sources that I checked give quite variable estimates. But which one is reliable?

Wally-217

Quote from: Remko on July 11, 2023, 12:42:32 PMI have to say that, eventhough I love my giant versions, these somewhat smaller figures look amazing as well.

First pass/primer was just black spray paint.
I borrowed an airbrush for the grey base coat. The airbrush helped since you can mix the specific grey you want, and you can vary the intensity, but I dont think it would have looked much different with regular spray paint. It might be worth sealing the paint at this stage with a matt varnish spray. My finger sweat kept lifting off the pigment as I drybrushed it.
Spoiler

[close]

I drybrushed a few passes of sand/tan colour along the underside to get a little bit of countershading. Regular paint brushes didnt get me very far, and ended up scratching off the paint. I'd recommend using something like this like this (trim/sash brush?) with a decent sized head and soft bristles. It got much better results and was a lot quicker.

Then I drybrushed the blue accents. Mixed with some iridescent medium . Drybrushing the accents turned out really well. The only place it didnt work was the head which was too smooth. I didn't want to risk putting the medium through the airbrush so I had to paint that by hand, I tried to rush it and painted out some of the details on the scales in the process. You can do a few passes with different shades to build up a gradient if you prefer. I like to use the medium with the blue to give it that structural coloration that birds have, but it's not necessary, especially for other colors.
Spoiler
[close]

I drybrushed some light browns quite generously to dusty the whole thing up. I did the accent colour last then had to go back and add more dirt. You'll want a super fine brush for eyes/teeth/mouth too. When you're happy, be sure to use a sealant. I used a matt varnish spray. I also had to do another (light) pass of the accent as the matt finish counteracted some of the iridescence. I've done a few figures now so I had a decent-ish idea of what not to do but if you're going in blind, I'd highly recommend doing a test run on an old/spare figure first. The elephant in the comparison is the 1/35 ARTPLA, that you paint yourself. That was my test run XD.

Quote from: thomasw100 on July 11, 2023, 07:53:48 PMInteresting discussion. Honestly I am still somewhat confused about what would be the proper size (and hence scale) of these three species Argentinosaurus, Barosaurus and Maraapunisaurus. I kind of understand that the length estimate that Lana (or more correctly the studio that produces these models) used for 1:35 scale is significantly too high. But what would be the proper length estimate of the three species? Several sources that I checked give quite variable estimates. But which one is reliable?

The one I ordered at 1/45 scale has the measurement:
83-86cm along the spine (depending if you include the skull length) or 33.2-34.m at 1:40; 29-30m at 1:35
18cm at the shoulder or 7.2m at 1:40; 6.3m at 1:35
6-7cm along the femur (hard to tell with the soft tissue) or 2.4-2.8m at 1:40; 2.1-2.5m at 1:35
The femur of argentinosaurus is ~2.55m in life, with patagotitan's femur at 2.4m. The one I have fits perfectly at 1:40 but would work as a Patagotitan at 1:35 scale. Lana's scale of 1/40 should work out at 2.35-2.7m at 1/35. The total lengths usually vary due to how the necks or tails are restored. Dinosaur sizes vary a tonne within the same species though so there's a lot of wiggle room, especially since a lot of figures are much bigger than their given scale. The barosaurus they have was I think was based on the BYU 9024 specimen, which is now regarded as Supersaurus. I think their measurements scaled to around 50+m IIRC. Mine is #96cm from head to tail along the curve, or about 38m. I've seen there might be some super large Barosaurus around but I dont really know anything about them. So for barosaurus, any size works really.

thomasw100

Dear Wally-217, thanks a lot for the explanations and size calculations. This really helped. The Argentinosaurus would certainly be the first of the three I would consider ordering. I know that Lana also offers painted versions, which would of course be the easiest way of getting a fully finished model. I have now ordered the Camarasaurus father and son set from them and this will involve a customized paint application. I will see how this works out and if I am happy with this I would feel confident to go for the painted version of the Argentinosaurus. I do not plan on getting many resin models actually, because I am quite satisfied with most of the PNSO and Haolonggood figures. But there are not so many options for getting large sauropods.

Bread

Just found this thread and I am intrigued!

Here is a recent post by dinosaur_models_artworks:

PNSO's Cameron the Tyrannosaurus with lips + repaint next to LanaTimeShop Alamosaurus painted + buildup. All done by him.

The kit itself cost $250 and the paint+build up would be $110. Then shipping...

I am interested in this to say the least. Really just because it's recent Prehistoric Planet appearance.

My only issue is storing these beasts! I have a Dreadnougthus sculpted by Emerson Hul at 1:40 scale and its not in a favored spot on my shelf because of its size :'(

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Bread on July 29, 2023, 03:17:07 PMJust found this thread and I am intrigued!

PNSO's Cameron the Tyrannosaurus with lips + repaint next to LanaTimeShop Alamosaurus painted + buildup. All done by him.

I am interested in this to say the least. Really just because it's recent Prehistoric Planet appearance.

My only issue is storing these beasts! I have a Dreadnougthus sculpted by Emerson Hul at 1:40 scale and its not in a favored spot on my shelf because of its size :'(

It's a nice piece, shame it's out of stock :/  I hope Haolongood makes one.

thomasw100

Quote from: Bread on July 29, 2023, 03:17:07 PMJust found this thread and I am intrigued!

This is indeed another nice one. Lana Time Shop has many hidden gems among their offerings it seems. The paint work they offer does actually also look nice. I have a custom painted Camarasaurus from them in the making and will see how this comes out. If the paint work turns out great, then I would be inclined to order complete and painted models from them right away. This would avoid to having models shipped back and forth for building up and painting the models. Question: Is dinosaur_models_artworks the artist that does the paint applications for Dinosauria Creatures?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: