News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

big sauropod figures

Started by dyno77, November 15, 2018, 07:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: thomasw100 on July 30, 2023, 08:07:31 AM
Quote from: Bread on July 29, 2023, 03:17:07 PMJust found this thread and I am intrigued!

Here is a recent post by dinosaur_models_artworks:

PNSO's Cameron the Tyrannosaurus with lips + repaint next to LanaTimeShop Alamosaurus painted + buildup. All done by him.

The kit itself cost $250 and the paint+build up would be $110. Then shipping...

I am interested in this to say the least. Really just because it's recent Prehistoric Planet appearance.

My only issue is storing these beasts! I have a Dreadnougthus sculpted by Emerson Hul at 1:40 scale and its not in a favored spot on my shelf because of its size :'(

This is indeed another nice one. Lana Time Shop has many hidden gems among their offerings it seems. The paint work they offer does actually also look nice. I have a custom painted Camarasaurus from them in the making and will see how this comes out. If the paint work turns out great, then I would be inclined to order complete and painted models from them right away. This would avoid to having models shipped back and forth for building up and painting the models. Question: Is dinosaur_models_artworks the artist that does the paint applications for Dinosauria Creatures?

Lana also does build and paint work. So you can buy your model and have their selection of top artists build and paint and ship all from one place.

thomasw100

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 30, 2023, 04:06:36 PM
Quote from: Bread on July 29, 2023, 03:17:07 PMJust found this thread and I am intrigued!

PNSO's Cameron the Tyrannosaurus with lips + repaint next to LanaTimeShop Alamosaurus painted + buildup. All done by him.

I am interested in this to say the least. Really just because it's recent Prehistoric Planet appearance.

My only issue is storing these beasts! I have a Dreadnougthus sculpted by Emerson Hul at 1:40 scale and its not in a favored spot on my shelf because of its size :'(

This is indeed another nice one. Lana Time Shop has many hidden gems among their offerings it seems. The paint work they offer does actually also look nice. I have a custom painted Camarasaurus from them in the making and will see how this comes out. If the paint work turns out great, then I would be inclined to order complete and painted models from them right away. This would avoid to having models shipped back and forth for building up and painting the models. Question: Is dinosaur_models_artworks the artist that does the paint applications for Dinosauria Creatures?

Lana also does build and paint work. So you can buy your model and have their selection of top artists build and paint and ship all from one place.

This is actually what I would like to do. But I have no experience with the quality of the paint application of models commissioned through Lana. I  have now one order with them for the Camarasaurus father and son from Linghu art studio with a custom paint design. If this works out well, I am ready to order one of these big sauropod models from them including the build up and paint application.

Bread

T @thomasw100 No, dinosaur_models_artworks on instagram does not do the work orders through Dinosauria Creatures. He is all commission based and if the buyer has the models shipped to him, he'll paint them up.

The one artist who does the paint ups straight through Dinosauria Creatures is dinocommissions on instagram.

Kind of confusing, hopefully that answers your concern/question.

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon shame the Alamosaurus is now out of stock. Oh well, saves me money...

But I believe hiring a private artist is cheaper than using LanaTimeShop's painted up versions.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: thomasw100 on July 30, 2023, 04:41:46 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 30, 2023, 04:06:36 PM

This is actually what I would like to do. But I have no experience with the quality of the paint application of models commissioned through Lana. I  have now one order with them for the Camarasaurus father and son from Linghu art studio with a custom paint design. If this works out well, I am ready to order one of these big sauropod models from them including the build up and paint application.

I bought the LINGHU ART STUDIO Cryolophosaurus painted, came out looking just like the prototype. I've since ordered a few more pieces from them, even getting a Cen Daoyi painted version of the Showanna Giganotosaurus. 

thomasw100

I would like to get back to the question of the size estimates of some of the big sauropods (measured from snout to the tip of the tail). I am trying to figure out the most recent size estimates of four species right now: Alamosaurus sanjuanensis, Argentinosaurus huinculensis, Barosaurus lentus, Maraapunisaurus fragillimus.

I found quite contradicting information so far. The book by Molina-Perez and Larramendi (Dinosaur Facts and Figures: The Sauropods and Other Sauropodomorphs) lists the following estimates: Alamosaurus 26 m, Argentinosaurus 36 m, Barosaurus 45 m, Maraapunisaurus 35 m. As that book is from leading authors of the Eofauna research group, I am inclined to give their size estimates much weight.

However, a recent paper that reinterpretes Maraapunisaurus as a Rebbachisaurid arrives at an estimate of about 30 m. Also, many estimates for Barosaurus are also considerably smaller than the one listed in the work by Molina-Perez and Larramendi.

Of course I do fully understand that 1) such size estimates are very difficult to make and carry considerable uncertainty, and 2) that the sizes can vary in a reasonable range, depending on if the individual was a large adult, a typical adult or a subadult.

It would be very much appreciated if some sauropod expert on this forum could comment on this.

Jetdin

Hi all!
I bought the huge barosaurus last year, in 1:35. its massive. However cannot deny that it was extremely expensive. would really love to also get the argentinosaurus but again. extremely expensive

Blade-of-the-Moon

Remko

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 05, 2023, 01:59:28 PMI'm considering this one to put with my Rebor Diplodocus : https://lanatime-shop.com/collections/frontpage/products/zee007?variant=44391992951034

Just got the Rebor Diplodocus pair in today. But this one looks fantastic too.
Will definately get that one!

thomasw100

Quote from: Remko on August 05, 2023, 03:25:59 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 05, 2023, 01:59:28 PMI'm considering this one to put with my Rebor Diplodocus : https://lanatime-shop.com/collections/frontpage/products/zee007?variant=44391992951034

I saw that one few days ago and was thinking of it. But I prefer sauropods rather in a walking position. I was also not sure if the length would be correct for a 1:35 scale model. It seemed a bit on the short end. But really difficult to estimate with the curled tail and the rearing up position.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: thomasw100 on August 05, 2023, 03:31:39 PM
Quote from: Remko on August 05, 2023, 03:25:59 PM

I saw that one few days ago and was thinking of it. But I prefer sauropods rather in a walking position. I was also not sure if the length would be correct for a 1:35 scale model. It seemed a bit on the short end. But really difficult to estimate with the curled tail and the rearing up position.

Yes , it says 1/35 I kind of hope it works well them but it's really hard to tell. I did ask Lana and they said if the scale is the same then it should be fine lol

Bread

~$125 seems to be pretty low price for a model like this, unpainted. I was expecting nearly $200 if I am being honest.

I am considering to send it to dinosaur_models_artworks since a high quality reared sauropod is hard to come by. Affordable too.

thomasw100

Quote from: Bread on August 06, 2023, 03:35:11 PM~$125 seems to be pretty low price for a model like this, unpainted. I was expecting nearly $200 if I am being honest.

I am considering to send it to dinosaur_models_artworks since a high quality reared sauropod is hard to come by. Affordable too.

How can one actually contact Dinosaur Models Artworks? I am not on instagram and I want to avoid to having to sign up to this. Would it be possible to send me a contact E-mail by direct message? I will soon get an Europasaurus who will be in need of being painted.

danmalcolm

W @Wally-217 would you be willing to post some more comparison shots of the barosaurus? I'd love to see it with Nanmus apatosaurus, Tamiyas brachiosaurus, PNSOs huanghetitan, or Papos allosaurus, if you have them. I'm also curious about head/shoulder height. Thanks for your time in advance!

Bread

Quote from: thomasw100 on August 06, 2023, 04:16:22 PM
Quote from: Bread on August 06, 2023, 03:35:11 PM~$125 seems to be pretty low price for a model like this, unpainted. I was expecting nearly $200 if I am being honest.

How can one actually contact Dinosaur Models Artworks? I am not on instagram and I want to avoid to having to sign up to this. Would it be possible to send me a contact E-mail by direct message? I will soon get an Europasaurus who will be in need of being painted.
If you'd like, I can contact him for you.

I did this with SidB with BravoModels.

Just message me if you'd like for me to do so. Thank you!

Bread

Here is the MuSee Studio Dreadnougthus scene at 1/35 scale.

Model Kit Price : $429.99 (without shipping cost)

Painted : $549.99 (without shipping cost)

Insane! Luckily I cannot afford it, because I don't know where in the world I would put this beauty.

SidB

Amazing - what with their quantity, size and name, they remind me of a fleet of World War 1 Dreadnought battleships.

thomasw100

Quote from: Bread on August 08, 2023, 10:47:08 PM

Dear Bread, thanks a lot for the offer. In the meantime I have made up my mind and signed up to Instagram and established contact to him.

thomasw100

Quote from: Bread on August 09, 2023, 02:09:52 PMHere is the MuSee Studio Dreadnougthus scene at 1/35 scale.

Model Kit Price : $429.99 (without shipping cost)

Painted : $549.99 (without shipping cost)

Insane! Luckily I cannot afford it, because I don't know where in the world I would put this beauty.

This huge sauropod is truly amazing, what a presence. And the color scheme is just perfect. Classic and still so much detail and all the gradients in color tones.

Bread

Quote from: thomasw100 on August 09, 2023, 07:18:40 PM
Quote from: Bread on August 08, 2023, 10:47:08 PM

Dear Bread, thanks a lot for the offer. In the meantime I have made up my mind and signed up to Instagram and established contact to him.
Of course ;D
And I am glad to hear! I'll be looking forward to seeing your custom acquisitions.

thomasw100

Following discussions with the people at Lana Time Store I was finally able to order the Argentinosaurus and Barosaurus models in adjusted scale and as painted versions from them. The Argentinosaurus will be done in 1:40 scale and the Barosaurus in 1:55 scale. For my preferred model size of 1:35, this will then conform to individuals of approximately 35 and 37 meters, respectively. These sizes are the ones that are quoted in the Sauropod Encyclopedia book from the Eofauna Research Group. They are maybe still a bit on the large end but probably not totally unreasonable.

During the process of searching for a good paint scheme for the Argentinosaurus model, I found the attached picture on the Lana website which shows several other large sauropod models. I recognize the PNSO Mamenchisaurus in the front and the large beast at the top is of course the Argentinosaurus. But does anyone know what would be the other sauropod models shown on that picture?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: