News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

big sauropod figures

Started by dyno77, November 15, 2018, 07:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceratopsian

The front bottom left fits the shape of the CollectA Brontosaurus but with a more sophisticated paint scheme.  A repaint?

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: ceratopsian on August 21, 2023, 10:51:15 AMThe front bottom left fits the shape of the CollectA Brontosaurus but with a more sophisticated paint scheme.  A repaint?
Definitely! And the one behind it is a repainted Safari Wild Brachiosaurus and in front of the Argentinosaurus is the CollectA Agustinia. :)
Don't know about the big model behind the PNSO Mamenchisaurus though. Looks to be a resin kit model.

thomasw100

Quote from: TooOldForDinosaurs on August 26, 2023, 05:23:08 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on August 21, 2023, 10:51:15 AMThe front bottom left fits the shape of the CollectA Brontosaurus but with a more sophisticated paint scheme.  A repaint?
Definitely! And the one behind it is a repainted Safari Wild Brachiosaurus and in front of the Argentinosaurus is the CollectA Agustinia. :)
Don't know about the big model behind the PNSO Mamenchisaurus though. Looks to be a resin kit model.

This last one has really puzzled me. The shape does not fit to any of the big models that Lana has on offer right now.

TooOldForDinosaurs

As promised here are some size comparison pics of the Dreadnoughtus  :)

thomasw100

The comparison pictures of the Dreadnoughtus are really impressive. One thing I start to think about is the representation of the hands and feet. As far as I can see, the model has the classic sauropod scheme, i.e. hands as half-circle shape and with the thumb claw, and feet with first three digits clawed. Reflecting the digitigrade and more or less plantigrade mode of hands and feet, respectively. Now some titanosaurs show an evolution to almost full circular hands and sometimes loss of the thumb claw. This made me ask the question how this would be in Dreadnoughtus. I checked a few skeletal reconstructions and they seem to differ in that aspect. The reconstruction by Scott Hartman appears to have no thumb claw (in some of his reconstructions for other sauropod species you can clearly see the thumb claws), whereas a reconstruction by Gunnar Bivens shows them, and this is clearly visible in the frontal view. It is however clear that the hands are not part of the fossil remains, so obviously there is an element of interpretation involved. I wonder if there are tracks that can be clearly related to Dreadnoughtus that would shed some light on this.

Rayeknor

Love the coloring on the dreadnoughtus. Another custom painted patagotitan

Wally-217

For anyone interested, Lana's sauropod kits are all on sale on Aliexpress right now https://www.aliexpress.com/store/911731161/search?SearchText=model+kit

Quote from: danmalcolm on August 08, 2023, 08:23:36 PMW @Wally-217 would you be willing to post some more comparison shots of the barosaurus? I'd love to see it with Nanmus apatosaurus, Tamiyas brachiosaurus, PNSOs huanghetitan, or Papos allosaurus, if you have them. I'm also curious about head/shoulder height. Thanks for your time in advance!
Sorry for not getting back to you D @danmalcolm unfortunately those were the only sauropods I have and I don't intend to acquire any of the figures you listed, apologies. If I pick up any other sauropods I'll be sure to upload some comparisons.

thomasw100

About the large sauropod kits from Lana: I could order them as painted version in a smaller size (Argentinosaurus in 1:40, Barosaurus in 1:55, Maraapunisaurus in 1:55) for a reasonably good price. They were very accommodating and added special offers on their website. In the end, I paid less for all three painted but in smaller size than the unpainted and unassembled kits in the original size. They told me that a major factor in the price calculation are the shipping costs for these huge figures which increase non-linearly with size.

cryolophosaurus

Posting my big guy here, the "GK" 1:35 scale Argentinosaurus model. Bought him in May this year and waited about a month for the shipping. Got hands on an airbrush kit, paints and some sculpting clay then went to town building him up. I loosely based the color pattern off one of the default skins for the argent mod from the game path of titans. While I hid the seam with clay for the main body and tail, I didn't for neck and head because I do plan on moving sometime soon and don't want it to break in travel so easy. This my first proper self-painted big model I ever did and I'm glad It came out well.

Compared to other large sauropod figures(Rebor Diplo, Haolonggood Apato, W-dragon giraffatitan):

Compared to big 3 (Rebor rex kiss, GR spino, Wild Safari Giga):

Compared to the PNSO mapusaurus:

thomasw100

Quote from: cryolophosaurus on September 19, 2023, 06:21:12 PMPosting my big guy here, the "GK" 1:35 scale Argentinosaurus model. Bought him in May this year and waited about a month for the shipping. Got hands on an airbrush kit, paints and some sculpting clay then went to town building him up. I loosely based the color pattern off one of the default skins for the argent mod from the game path of titans. While I hid the seam with clay for the main body and tail, I didn't for neck and head because I do plan on moving sometime soon and don't want it to break in travel so easy. This my first proper self-painted big model I ever did and I'm glad It came out well.

Looks really impressive. The color scheme reminds me of the Patagotitan model that some people posted quite recently. Did you also get the other two big guys, the Barosaurus and Maraapunisaurus? They are also very nice I must say.

cryolophosaurus

Quote from: thomasw100 on September 19, 2023, 07:57:20 PM
Quote from: cryolophosaurus on September 19, 2023, 06:21:12 PMPosting my big guy here, the "GK" 1:35 scale Argentinosaurus model. Bought him in May this year and waited about a month for the shipping. Got hands on an airbrush kit, paints and some sculpting clay then went to town building him up. I loosely based the color pattern off one of the default skins for the argent mod from the game path of titans. While I hid the seam with clay for the main body and tail, I didn't for neck and head because I do plan on moving sometime soon and don't want it to break in travel so easy. This my first proper self-painted big model I ever did and I'm glad It came out well.

Looks really impressive. The color scheme reminds me of the Patagotitan model that some people posted quite recently. Did you also get the other two big guys, the Barosaurus and Maraapunisaurus? They are also very nice I must say.
I don't have the other two. While I'm not sold on the Maraapunisaurus, I'm on the fence for getting the barosaurus. On one hand it's amazingly sculpted, will be fun to paint again, and having another titanic sauropod would be awesome. On the other hand, I have no space for it.

ceratopsian

Hold that "no space" in your heart. It's an important consideration!

cryolophosaurus

Quote from: ceratopsian on September 20, 2023, 08:13:43 AMHold that "no space" in your heart. It's an important consideration!
Haha, yeah it's something I'm working to fix later down the line.Going to need it now that bigger sauropod figures are becoming more common. Plus, it's nice just to have said space for more figures to display in general.

thomasw100

Quote from: cryolophosaurus on September 20, 2023, 09:40:51 AM
Quote from: ceratopsian on September 20, 2023, 08:13:43 AMHold that "no space" in your heart. It's an important consideration!
Haha, yeah it's something I'm working to fix later down the line.Going to need it now that bigger sauropod figures are becoming more common. Plus, it's nice just to have said space for more figures to display in general.

Indeed space is becoming an issue. Especially with all these large sauropod models that have become available. Fortunately I do not collect theropods that much. Just got my Dreadnoughtus from MuSee studio and this is a real giant. In addition, I am expecting a Camarasaurus from Dinosauria Creatures, and also an Omeisaurus from Paleokhris in the next few weeks. Then the Haolonggood Ampelosaurus will arrive somewhere next week. Further, the three large models from Lana (Argentinosaurus, Barosaurus and Maraapunisaurus) and also Camarasaurus adult and juvenile set from Linghu studio, all to arrive still this year. So this is going to be a parade of the giants. I am still thinking of Dicraeosaurus from Dinosauria Creatures and Cetinosaurus from Paleokhris. And who knows if Haolonggood will still surprise us with a large Alamosaurus model.

What I am still missing is a really nice Diplodocus. The Eofauna looks great but is not in 1:35 scale. I do not like the Rebor models. The model Dinosauria Creatures has on offer does not stand without the base. And I missed the one from MuSee studio. So all the obvious options are out. In case anyone knows of a good model in 1:35, I would appreciate a suggestion.

thomasw100

Miniature Museum just released its monthly suite of models. Including a 1:35 scale Brachiosaurus in 3 different poses plus a scene where it is attacked by a pack of 3 allosaurs. The newest release does also include a very nice Kentrosaurus. Earlier they released an Isisaurus also in 1:35 scale.

cryolophosaurus

Quote from: thomasw100 on September 22, 2023, 06:19:48 AMMiniature Museum just released its monthly suite of models. Including a 1:35 scale Brachiosaurus in 3 different poses plus a scene where it is attacked by a pack of 3 allosaurs. The newest release does also include a very nice Kentrosaurus. Earlier they released an Isisaurus also in 1:35 scale.

The brachiosaurus and isisaurus is beautiful! Might consider getting a 3D printer for these models.The Brachio and Camptosaurus Model I saw browsing their shop sold me. Don't know where to start with getting a good printer to make models as huge as the brachiosaurus in the 1:35 scale though.

thomasw100

Quote from: cryolophosaurus on September 23, 2023, 12:31:32 AMThe brachiosaurus and isisaurus is beautiful! Might consider getting a 3D printer for these models.The Brachio and Camptosaurus Model I saw browsing their shop sold me. Don't know where to start with getting a good printer to make models as huge as the brachiosaurus in the 1:35 scale though.

I am getting these Miniature Museum models printed and painted through Dinosauria Creatures. I am expecting a Tarchia any day to arrive and have a Camarasaurus and another large sauropod from different 3D artists in the making. If you browse their website, you will see that they have some of the Miniature Museum models. But they told me that they can produce any model from the artists from which they have the commercial license.

This 3D printing work is not so easy as far as I understand. The biggest issue is that you cannot print the large models in one piece unless you have some high end large industry prototyping printer (there are printers with 1 m3 printing volume). So you need to slice it into parts and then mount together like a resin model kit. But to do that, you need to modify the 3D file with more stable nut and bolt type connections between parts, otherwise it may not be stable.

cryolophosaurus

Quote from: thomasw100 on September 23, 2023, 07:09:31 AM
Quote from: cryolophosaurus on September 23, 2023, 12:31:32 AMThe brachiosaurus and isisaurus is beautiful! Might consider getting a 3D printer for these models.The Brachio and Camptosaurus Model I saw browsing their shop sold me. Don't know where to start with getting a good printer to make models as huge as the brachiosaurus in the 1:35 scale though.

I am getting these Miniature Museum models printed and painted through Dinosauria Creatures. I am expecting a Tarchia any day to arrive and have a Camarasaurus and another large sauropod from different 3D artists in the making. If you browse their website, you will see that they have some of the Miniature Museum models. But they told me that they can produce any model from the artists from which they have the commercial license.

This 3D printing work is not so easy as far as I understand. The biggest issue is that you cannot print the large models in one piece unless you have some high end large industry prototyping printer (there are printers with 1 m3 printing volume). So you need to slice it into parts and then mount together like a resin model kit. But to do that, you need to modify the 3D file with more stable nut and bolt type connections between parts, otherwise it may not be stable.
Thank you so much for sharing this information! Didn't know the complications that went into 3D printing something as large. Anywho, I contacted Dinosauria Creatures about making a 1:35 scale model of the Brachio for their store and it was put up quickly. Bought it, thanked for the great communication,and now I'm waiting excitedly for the behemoth. Still conflicted whether to go paint it a JP1 or JP3 color scheme as a homage to said  movies.

thomasw100

Quote from: cryolophosaurus on September 23, 2023, 12:31:32 AMThank you so much for sharing this information! Didn't know the complications that went into 3D printing something as large. Anywho, I contacted Dinosauria Creatures about making a 1:35 scale model of the Brachio for their store and it was put up quickly. Bought it, thanked for the great communication,and now I'm waiting excitedly for the behemoth. Still conflicted whether to go paint it a JP1 or JP3 color scheme as a homage to said  movies.

Great that I could help you with my information. I really like working with Dinosauria Creatures and this is why I promote them a bit now. I was also thinking of this Miniature Museum Brachiosaurus, but I am getting quite many large sauropod models until the end of this year it is becoming a serious space issue. And when I order a model from Dinosauria Creatures, I order it built up and painted. So this is obviously more expensive than just getting the printed and unpainted models. What I will definitely get from them at some point is that Dicraeosaurus from Vito Fabrizio Brugnola. I have the Haolonggood figure, but I find the sculpt not sufficiently sharp and detailed. Also the paint application does not meet the standards of their Apatosaurus and Ampelosaurus.

thomasw100

What I particularly like about the Miniature Museum models of herbivores is that they have some considerable girth and volume. You see that for example in the Tarchia model and now also in the new Kentrosaurus and Brachiosaurus.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: