News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

big sauropod figures

Started by dyno77, November 15, 2018, 07:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegotyranno420

I will be honest I am not a fan of Minature Museum/dino and dog sculptures. Most of them look weak, uninspired, lumpy, etc.

thomasw100

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on September 23, 2023, 10:36:11 PMI will be honest I am not a fan of Minature Museum/dino and dog sculptures. Most of them look weak, uninspired, lumpy, etc.

This is very much a trashing statement without any arguments given and without reference to any specific model of said designers. It needs a lot of self-confidence to come up with such a statement.

ceratopsian

That has not been my personal experience so far.

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on September 23, 2023, 10:36:11 PMI will be honest I am not a fan of Minature Museum/dino and dog sculptures. Most of them look weak, uninspired, lumpy, etc.

Eatmycar

Yeah, I'm sorry, that's a very ignorant indictment of Miniature Museum's work. The Allosaurus versus Brachiosaurus set is certainly not uninspired at all, if anything it's impressive and a bit scary just how powerful both of those animals were.

Stegotyranno420

They look very simplfied and generic.
Most of the designs I have seen on their page are half-effort prehistoric planet knock-offs. At least something like Papo or early Nanmu put effort and skill into "inspired models".

Eatmycar

Again,

With all due respect, I can't take that criticism seriously at all. Especially with your comparisons. I'll cut Papo a little bit of slack because they became relevant while Hasbro did fuck-all with Jurassic, but you can not sincerely be serious to claim either of those brands put effort into their work in comparison?

Nanmu has been coasting for a while now on redos of the T. rex, Spinosaurus, and Giganotosaurus. Their mediocre plagiarism (which is what it actually is) offers nothing bold or daring to the dinosaur toy industry whatsoever. How many JP T Rexes have they done since they came into existence at this point?

I'm sorry, even PNSO is more exciting from a consumer perspective and I say this as someone very critical of PNSO's work.

Prehistoric Planet's designs are, frankly, a breath of fresh air, and if people are inspired by them in their derivative works, I don't get how they are "uninspired". Jurassic Park style monsters have had thirty years of pop culture dominance and many definitive versions made. The sooner they fade away the better.

thomasw100

Quote from: Eatmycar on September 25, 2023, 12:20:55 AMAgain,

With all due respect, I can't take that criticism seriously at all. Especially with your comparisons. I'll cut Papo a little bit of slack because they became relevant while Hasbro did fuck-all with Jurassic, but you can not sincerely be serious to claim either of those brands put effort into their work in comparison?

Nanmu has been coasting for a while now on redos of the T. rex, Spinosaurus, and Giganotosaurus. Their mediocre plagiarism (which is what it actually is) offers nothing bold or daring to the dinosaur toy industry whatsoever. How many JP T Rexes have they done since they came into existence at this point?

I'm sorry, even PNSO is more exciting from a consumer perspective and I say this as someone very critical of PNSO's work.

Prehistoric Planet's designs are, frankly, a breath of fresh air, and if people are inspired by them in their derivative works, I don't get how they are "uninspired". Jurassic Park style monsters have had thirty years of pop culture dominance and many definitive versions made. The sooner they fade away the better.

I could not agree more. I find in particular the Miniature Museum models very nice. The sculpting of the integument is very detailed, they give the herbivores a lot of girth which many paleontologists think is more correct than very skinny models, and they always offer a range of poses for most of their models. In addition, they provide a very nice canvas for painting artist to work on.

thomasw100

Quote from: ceratopsian on September 24, 2023, 07:49:05 PMThat has not been my personal experience so far.

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on September 24, 2023, 11:52:37 PMThey look very simplfied and generic.
Most of the designs I have seen on their page are half-effort prehistoric planet knock-offs. At least something like Papo or early Nanmu put effort and skill into "inspired models".

So models that are nothing but highly accurate based on paleontological papers and skeletal reconstructions without some fancy designs would then probably also fall into your category uninspired I suppose.

ceratopsian

I have perhaps one Papo model in my large and varied collection. I find their distinctly "monster" aesthetic unappealing. I find the Nanmu aesthetic equally unappealing. I don't see how either makes a good comparison with the very different aesthetics of Miniature Museum.

Stegotyranno420

Are we talking about the same manufacturer?

Stegotyranno420

Theres a difference between "girth" and the blubber we see here. By uninspired, I admit it was not the best choice of words. I meant "uninspiring" or "uncreative". The allosaurus in the pack scene looks very similar to the superior PNSO rendition

Call me a cherry picker,but many of their models are plain and disproportionate, for example the Megalosaurus.

Bread

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on September 24, 2023, 11:52:37 PMThey look very simplfied and generic.

Ouch... You know I would think an artist like yourself would not assume Minature Museum wouldn't put enough effort and skill into their "inspired models." That is not fair nor right to assume whatsoever.

As someone who has had discussions with 3D printing shops, designers, and even worked in a few of these 3D model design softwares such as Maya, it is certainly NOT a low effort and uninspiring task to recreate a design then make it printable is a whole other task.

SidB

I personally find the Brachiosaurus/Allosaurus hunt scene memorable and eye-catching, an unique effort.

thomasw100

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on September 25, 2023, 07:19:51 AMTheres a difference between "girth" and the blubber we see here. By uninspired, I admit it was not the best choice of words. I meant "uninspiring" or "uncreative". The allosaurus in the pack scene looks very similar to the superior PNSO rendition

Call me a cherry picker,but many of their models are plain and disproportionate, for example the Megalosaurus.

Below you will see the Tarchia from Miniature Museum, printed by Dinosauria Creatures, painted by Dinocomissions, and now on the way to me. So people can see what can be done with this canvas.

Stegotyranno420

T @thomasw100 the 50's called, they want their tail dragging back 🤣
Jokes aside, I admit this is one of the better ones, but for me I rather get something with more energy.

avatar_Bread @Bread My criticism should not be attached to my own work. I always understand the strife of the artist, and some may have noticed for a time I always started with "I appreciate the wrk of the artist but..." , however it became repetitive

Eatmycar

I have to ask anyone familiar with anatomy and physiology - the Allosaurus versus Brachiosaurus diorama... I presume the animal hanging off of the Brachiosaurus would not survive a fall from this height? Again, assuming somehow it is not trampled to death by the Brachiosaurus in the process, there's no way he's getting down from there alive, right?

Bread

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on September 25, 2023, 05:36:23 PMavatar_Bread @Bread My criticism should not be attached to my own work. I always understand the strife of the artist, and some may have noticed for a time I always started with "I appreciate the wrk of the artist but..." , however it became repetitive
Stop right there. "My criticism should not be attached to my own work." You know very well that if you were to receive such comments you yourself provided towards Minature Museum that it would be seen as pure negativity.

There's nothing wrong with criticism, but you shouldn't state "low effort" and "uninspiring" especially with the lack of detail to provide your reasoning in your original post. It's just pure negativity.

To also add, there's nothing wrong with switching up your assessment of models, but to just push out comments about low effort is completely unfair to assume for one's creation.

thomasw100

Quote from: Bread on September 25, 2023, 06:38:59 PM
Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on September 25, 2023, 05:36:23 PMavatar_Bread @Bread My criticism should not be attached to my own work. I always understand the strife of the artist, and some may have noticed for a time I always started with "I appreciate the wrk of the artist but..." , however it became repetitive
Stop right there. "My criticism should not be attached to my own work." You know very well that if you were to receive such comments you yourself provided towards Minature Museum that it would be seen as pure negativity.

There's nothing wrong with criticism, but you shouldn't state "low effort" and "uninspiring" especially with the lack of detail to provide your reasoning in your original post. It's just pure negativity.

To also add, there's nothing wrong with switching up your assessment of models, but to just push out comments about low effort is completely unfair to assume for one's creation.

One can also note that artistic taste may vary a lot between people. For example, many complain about the color scheme that PNSO uses for their models and call it drab and repetitive. I must admit that I really like it that way and this paint style of Earth tones, subtle gradients feel to me very much natural and this is what brought me back to becoming interested in dinosaur models. Many people would strongly disagree on that but such are matters of individual taste. But if such matters of taste are turned into categories of better or worse, someone has embarked on the wrong path.

And really my intention in posting these pictures of the two Miniature Museum models of Brachiosaurus and Isisaurus in the first place was to alert people to this possibility. There are not that many 1:35 or 1:40 scale models of large sauropods available (although the situation has improved somewhat recently) and I am happy about any new species that becomes released as a model either by one of the large companies or as 3D prints by some artists. You want a 1:35 scale Brachiosaurus? So you either get the Nanmu Jurassic World style model, the W-Dragon Giraffatitan or maybe a resin model. And resin models typically are made in small quantities and when they are sold out they are gone for good. Not so many options out there.

Stegotyranno420

avatar_Bread @Bread I actually like it when people say negative things, it is stimulating and if they are going to converse on why they said so perhaps it could be improvement session. If you or anybody else were to go throigh every drawing i made and criticize, or even just throw "negative remarks" I would appreciate it as it will show what i am doing right and wrong.

thomasw100

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on September 25, 2023, 07:35:15 PMavatar_Bread @Bread I actually like it when people say negative things, it is stimulating and if they are going to converse on why they said so perhaps it could be improvement session. If you or anybody else were to go throigh every drawing i made and criticize, or even just throw "negative remarks" I would appreciate it as it will show what i am doing right and wrong.

Negative criticism has to be to the point and addressing specific models for example. The aim of negative criticism is future improvement. None of that was in your destructive comments. What should someone do with your comments that all the models of both designer are uninspired. You do not even say why you think so and what for example could be improved.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: