News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo 2020 Hopes & Dreams

Started by Reptilia, December 16, 2018, 12:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syndicate Bias

I'd much rather them tackle Carcha or Mapusaurus at this point. Those two need more attention and I have doubts papo will make them anytime soon but I have a strong feeling that we are getting there eventually now that they are running out of big theropods that are very well known.

I'd like to see a Torvosaurus from them or a Saurophaganax

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Jose S.M. on June 10, 2019, 02:07:33 AM
I just hope they cam down a bit with the weird poses. Two of their models for this year are pretty nice in details and paintjob and not that much inaccurate but the very wide stance of the Gorgosaurus and the rearing pose of the Pentaceratops put some people off, myself included. Better poses would have made those two must buys for me.

I know this is hope and dreams so one can write species that you desire for them to make but I make this wishes depending on the brand and Papo is not the first one that comes to mind for obscure species so I don't ask them for things like that.I don't think they'll make another ceratopsid but for the future I have hopes for a good one from them, they can make them nicely, just pose it better! large carnivores seem to be their strong point (Ceratosaurus, Acrocanthosaurus, Gorgosaurus are fine and the accuracy is better than in their earlier JP inspired ones) maybe they could make a nice Yangchuanosaurus, Sinraptor, Concavenator, Majungasaurus. THose might seem obscure but they are running out of famous theropods. I don't trust them very much with hadrosaurs if they are going to give them movable jaws, to me that ruined their Iguanodon. To me all other groups will be a surprise if they make them because they'll have to go to obscure species but maybe they could make a nice Borealopelta or some of the recently discovered ankylosaurids, also smaller sauropods like Ampelosaurus, Shunosaurus, Europasaurus.

I sincerely, if Papo is going to perform hadrosaurs or other herbivorous dinosaurs, I prefer them to be without moving jaws like the iguanodon. I am not very enthusiastic about this type of figures, especially Papo's iguanodon without mobile jaws would have been a figure that would even be outstanding. As you say, it was ruined with the movable jaws.

Ceratopsianking

Here's what I'd like to see from Papp in 2020
Plateosaurus
Diplodocus
Corythosaurus
Gallimimus
a BIPEDAL theropod!
Mosasaurus
Carnotaurus repaint like the JWFK one

I'd love to see the new Spinosaurus mass produced some time as well.

tanystropheus

baby Brachiosaurus and adult Apatosaurus!
Dracorex or "Stiggy"
Elasmosaurus (original sculptor, please!)
Chasmosaurus
Centrosaurus
Protoceratops with ball jointed head (like the DR and Mattel versions)
Edaphosaurus (let's see if it can beat the stellar CollectA version!)
Rhamphorhynchus (the only core pterosaur that is missing)
Pterodaustro
Kentrosaurus (and, other stegosaurids)
Diplodocus (no juveniles!)
anatomically accurate Y-rex (just to annoy REBOR!)
Stuthiomimus or Gallimimus (non-pronated)
Mamenchisaurus
Amargasaurus (redo!)
Mosasaurus (redo!)
Saurolophus
Allosaurus (new sculpt because the Mattel version has bizarre proportions)
Sarcosuchus (because who knows when the REBOR will come out, not to mention the fact that Papos are masters of crocodilians, just get the damn teeth right!) or Deinosuchus
Deinocheirus (because its "hot" at the moment)
Monolophosaurus (sure, why not complete the set? we have Cryolo and Dilo)
Brontosaurus (because it needs a proper 'revival')
Fully Feathered Non-Quilled Triceratops (because haters need to know that Papo is ahead of the accuracy game!)
2 headed T-rex (show REBOR who is boss j/k, plus it should work hand in hand with REBOR's Alien T-rex interpretation)
Indoraptor (don't pretend to suddenly be shy about JP licensed properties  ;))
Deinonychus (because its been on vacation since the Dino Riders days, and Velociraptor took all the spotlight)
Troodon and Dinosauroid deluxe boxed set (lets' get creative!)
Giganotosaurus (because Eofauna, Vitae and PNSO are bored and needs some competition, and if I mention it enough times Papo may consider it j/k :P)

Killekor

Quote from: tanystropheus on June 11, 2019, 06:23:39 PM
Fully Feathered Non-Quilled Triceratops (because haters need to know that Papo is ahead of the accuracy game!)

I actually would like something like that, as it would be the most original ceratopsian figure ever! If Papo makes something like that it will be a must have for me!
I'll not be surprised to see it, considering that they've made a maned Smilodon.

That's also an idea for REBOR, if they want to make one for their oddities line!

Here's my wish list for Papo:

Epidexipterix (I know, I'm asking it to all the brands!)
Sinornithosaurus
Tanystropheus
Tsintaosaurus
Yutyrannus
Psittacosaurus
Sinosauropteryx
Microraptor
Deinocheirus
Dreadnoghtus
Concavenator

Plus, I'll also be curious to see a dinosaur skeleton from Papo. How it would be one?

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Dinoguy2

I was excited to find their Nemicolopterus is 1:1 scale. I'd love to see other baby pterosaurs or other prehistoric creatures done in 1:1, like Pterodactylus micronyx or an enantiornithine.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Shonisaurus

A ptedodaustro on a large scale would be interesting or an anurognathus on a scale of 1: 1

Halichoeres

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on June 13, 2019, 08:50:53 PM
I was excited to find their Nemicolopterus is 1:1 scale. I'd love to see other baby pterosaurs or other prehistoric creatures done in 1:1, like Pterodactylus micronyx or an enantiornithine.

Was this perhaps meant for the PNSO thread?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Atokensis

Enough with the teases, we need that Giga 2020 :D

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: Atokensis on August 09, 2019, 10:10:34 PM
Enough with the teases, we need that Giga 2020 :D

Don't play with my heart I can't take another year

Shonisaurus

Well, my wish would be a Papo giganotosaurus I hope that giganotosaurus matches or surpasses its counterparts in Safari, Carnegie, PNSO and of course the great Eofauna.

GojiraGuy1954

What I want:

10. Dsungaripterus
9. Amargasaurus resculpt
8. Ophthalmosaurus
7. Ouranosaurus
6. Hypsilophodon
5. Kosmoceratops
4. Placerias
3. Albertosaurus
2. Carcharodontosaurus
1. Giganotosaurus

What i predict:

5. Dimorphodon retool
4. "Blue" raptor repaint
3. Liopleurodon
2. Megalosaurus
1. Giganotosaurus

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Shonisaurus

I would settle for the following:

Paleozoic: estemmenosuchus

Mesozoic: giganotosaurus

Cenozoic: paraceratherium

And two or three dinosaur repaints. It would be a decent year for Papo 2020.

ZoPteryx

My Predictions:

Torvosaurus - they always have a theropod, and this one may be large and distinct enough from their others to warrant inclusion

Stygimoloch - Jurassic World inspired

Concavenator - token smaller theropod, hopefully not JW inspired

Pliosaurus - seems only a matter of time before they add a pliosaur

Corythosaurus - those theropods need something to hunt...

Pteranodon repaint - JW color scheme

Velociraptor repaint - Indoraptor color scheme

Syndicate Bias

Giganotosaurus

...but they probably will keep playing with my heart

Stygy seems likely due to JWFK you never know

Suchomimus or Torvosaurus seem like reasonable options although I doubt a sucho would be considered right now

A mass produced 2019 Spino seems unlikely as far as I can tell with all their delays I think this could be the last time we see it for at least the next few years until they decide to make a lesser quality repaint.

They're overdue on Sauropods so one could show up in 2020 as far as I can guess...

Either way I don't wish for anything because then I'd set myself up for dissapointment like the past 2 or 3 years wishing for a Giga to show up and nothing yet. Let's just hope they don't pull the limited edition card on it if they do decide to this year

Ivántirrophus

In 2020 I'd like to see a very detailed Ichthyosaurus and Elasmosaurus with its long neck.
Maybe a gallimimus

Mirroraptor

Quote from: Renecito on December 30, 2018, 12:39:24 AM
My Hopes & Dreams is that they stop producing dinosaurs based on jurassic park/world movies and they start a new line of scientifically accurate figures.

The interesting point is that many people seem to be biased towards "scientific" and try to demonstrate that PAPO's products are non-scientific(Movie Monsters). In any case, PAPO has rarely made dinosaurs based on film style in recent years. On the other hand, the dinosaurs in the original Jurassic Park movies are hard to talk about unscientific, they are only limited by the cognition of the times. From this perspective, PAPO has never produced an exact replica of any movie dinosaur. (If you need a accurate copy of JP dinos, try to get prop replica, Prime 1 studio or W-dragon. PAPO is just something has same design languages with movie dinosaurs.)
Is PAPO not accurate enough? I think so, they are not very careful in proportion, but this is not because of the sculptor's ability. Moreover, the proportional problem is almost one of the least important issues in animal modeling.(The proportional problem becomes important if you want to restore a particular individual.) As you can see, there are both Chandra Bahadur Dangi and Alton Giant in our species. For PAPO, their anatomy and skin texture are among the best of their competitors(Carnegie may be better, but it is gone). From this point of view, PAPO is scientific.
Anyway, here's my opinion of 2020 hopes and dreams:
-Pteranodon sternbergi or other pterosaurs;
-Concavenator or Suchomimus;
-Giganotosaurus or Mapusaurus;
-Austroraptor or Utahraptor, both feathered version or traditional version is ok.
For me, new species don't produce enough attraction if they are not good enough. This is why I rarely buy new products from Safari or CollectA. I hope that PAPO will not let me down.

Vidusaurus

Quote from: Mirroraptor on October 30, 2019, 03:04:52 AM
My Hopes & Dreams is that they stop producing dinosaurs based on jurassic park/world movies and they start a new line of scientifically accurate figures.

The interesting point is that many people seem to be biased towards "scientific" and try to demonstrate that PAPO's products are non-scientific(Movie Monsters). In any case, PAPO has rarely made dinosaurs based on film style in recent years. On the other hand, the dinosaurs in the original Jurassic Park movies are hard to talk about unscientific, they are only limited by the cognition of the times. From this perspective, PAPO has never produced an exact replica of any movie dinosaur. (If you need a accurate copy of JP dinos, try to get prop replica, Prime 1 studio or W-dragon. PAPO is just something has same design languages with movie dinosaurs.)
Is PAPO not accurate enough? I think so, they are not very careful in proportion, but this is not because of the sculptor's ability. Moreover, the proportional problem is almost one of the least important issues in animal modeling.(The proportional problem becomes important if you want to restore a particular individual.) As you can see, there are both Chandra Bahadur Dangi and Alton Giant in our species. For PAPO, their anatomy and skin texture are among the best of their competitors(Carnegie may be better, but it is gone). From this point of view, PAPO is scientific.
Anyway, here's my opinion of 2020 hopes and dreams:
-Pteranodon sternbergi or other pterosaurs;
-Concavenator or Suchomimus;
-Giganotosaurus or Mapusaurus;
-Austroraptor or Utahraptor, both feathered version or traditional version is ok.
For me, new species don't produce enough attraction if they are not good enough. This is why I rarely buy new products from Safari or CollectA. I hope that PAPO will not let me down.

How can you be "biased" towards the truth? Also you claim that Papo is inaccurate (at least I think that's what you said) but then claim that their anatomy is among the best in the business, which it demonstrably isn't.
That being said, while they have gotten a lot better in terms of accuracy, Papo's entire business model is selling cartoonishly-proportioned movie monsters to people who either don't know better or don't care, rather than producing real animals.

Mirroraptor

How can you be "biased" towards the truth? Also you claim that Papo is inaccurate (at least I think that's what you said) but then claim that their anatomy is among the best in the business, which it demonstrably isn't.
That being said, while they have gotten a lot better in terms of accuracy, Papo's entire business model is selling cartoonishly-proportioned movie monsters to people who either don't know better or don't care, rather than producing real animals.
I put quotes on the word "scientific". As a student of paleontology, I don't think there is absolute truth in the restoration of prehistoric animal(In a sense, this is the truth). If you believe that there are absolute standards for the restoration of extinct animal, it is unscientific.We don't know what they should look like, we only know what they don't look like. Paleontology is not absolute and unsuspicional, and this is deliberately weakened by the readers of popular science reading. (It's worth noting that popular science workers still use a lot of vocabulary that "may" and "should"  in popular reading.) If you look at modern living things, you will find that the morphological diversity within the species, and the unity between the species will be greater than your imagine. From this point of view, the ratio of muscle anatomy and texture is more important than to the various parts of the body occupies in restoration- Because we can roughly know the muscle structure of these animals, they have the similar structure to modern relatives.
In any case, when restoring a prehistoric animal, we should first make it as an "animal", followed by a specific species. And most manufacturers can't even made an "animal." I am very curious about how you evaluate the anatomy of a product. In any case, I don't think that the PNSO T.rex with asymmetrical trochanter major or the CollectA product with a wider ilium than the thoracic cavity, or the Rebor T.rex that thigh muscle structure is completely wrong is more like a creature, which is just the most insignificant one of countless problems(What needs to be added is that in fact, Rebor's early products and PNSO products are from the same sculptor-J.S.Xiao, who works at Musee studio right now.). All of this has nothing to do with the brand's sales strategy, only related to the sculptor's production level. PAPO may be a manufacturer of cartoon toys, but there is no doubt that in terms of animals, it is better than many manufacturers specializing in scientific toys.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: