News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Unique Species Specimen Discussion Thread

Started by Roselaar, August 28, 2012, 02:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brontozaurus

I'm not entirely sure if this counts, but down here there's a line of hatching eggs (where there's one of those growing dinosaur toys within a shell, and as it expands it breaks out of the shell) where each dinosaur is meant to be a specific Australian species. Here's a picture. To my knowledge this is the only Diamantinasaurus toy or model produced so far. It's a fairly generic sauropod, but since the other three are fairly accurate given the aesthetic I feel that this counts as a unique specimen if it is one.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Roselaar

Thanks for the new suggestions, folks. I'll add them all, except for the Herrerasaurus (Collecta has one too). I would like a picture of that Diamantinasaurus though, can't find it online. And of course, pictures from other species still missing theirs are ever welcome. :)

Brontozaurus

Quote from: Roselaar on March 20, 2013, 02:15:00 PM
Thanks for the new suggestions, folks. I'll add them all, except for the Herrerasaurus (Collecta has one too). I would like a picture of that Diamantinasaurus though, can't find it online. And of course, pictures from other species still missing theirs are ever welcome. :)

There's a link in my original post to a picture of all four hatching dinosaurs. Diamantinasaurus is the green one on the very left.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Roselaar

Quote from: Brontozaurus on March 23, 2013, 07:31:10 AM
Quote from: Roselaar on March 20, 2013, 02:15:00 PM

There's a link in my original post to a picture of all four hatching dinosaurs. Diamantinasaurus is the green one on the very left.

It's not the most useful picture but it'll have to do, I suppose. Thanks!

DC

parieasurus and geosaurus
You can never have too many dinosaurs

Roselaar

Quote from: DC on March 25, 2013, 05:06:05 PM
parieasurus and geosaurus

Pareiasaurus is the new Gimiki baby figure I suppose? I figured that would be a new one. What company made Geosaurus? Got any pics?

DC

shreddies did   Pareiasaurus
and geosaurus (which some people think in an invalid)

www.dinosaurcollectorsitea.com/Schredies.htm old page missing some pics

Joe Demarci has some posted on Collectors Quest
You can never have too many dinosaurs

Roselaar

Quote from: DC on March 29, 2013, 05:59:13 PM
shreddies did   Pareiasaurus
and geosaurus (which some people think in an invalid)

www.dinosaurcollectorsitea.com/Schredies.htm old page missing some pics

Joe Demarci has some posted on Collectors Quest

Thanks for the info! Pareiasaurus is out then, but Geosaurus is in. :)

BTW, the latter is not pictured on that DCS page, is it? There's indeed a few pictures of mentioned species missing. It seems I found a Geosaurus picture on Ebay though, so I already uploaded it.

amargasaurus cazaui

Recently was trying to identify and find this figure. I believe it was identified as Micropceratops, although depending whose name you choose, it could as easily be called Microceratus or Gracillceratops. In any event not that common of figure and might possibly qualify.
Perhaps Sbell or a few of the others here might help to clarify for certain. I do know it was positively proven as an actual figure in the identifcation thread.

Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

SBell

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on April 14, 2013, 03:12:15 AM
Recently was trying to identify and find this figure. I believe it was identified as Micropceratops, although depending whose name you choose, it could as easily be called Microceratus or Gracillceratops. In any event not that common of figure and might possibly qualify.
Perhaps Sbell or a few of the others here might help to clarify for certain. I do know it was positively proven as an actual figure in the identifcation thread.

I think it is labelled as Microceratops, but the correct current name is Microceratus.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: SBell on April 14, 2013, 05:37:19 AM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on April 14, 2013, 03:12:15 AM

I think it is labelled as Microceratops, but the correct current name is Microceratus.

I believe that is accurate as well, and matches what I have read and seen. I wandered through the listing of unique species and saw no entry for any of those names , not even Gracilaceratops. Unless I missed one, and I could well have, it is unique. These figures for basal ceratopsians are just not very common.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Roselaar

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll upload that figure under the name of Microceratus.

BTW, I'm currently collecting and storing pics of all unique species on my PC so I can upload them to Photobucket and thus make sure none of the links go dead anymore (as has happened to several species by now). Takes a while, but soon we'll have a more stable list. :) I've also discovered a few more new species and debunked several others in the process.

Roselaar

Exit Huayangosaurus.

Still working on the major picture update.

Roselaar

Deleted list part 1.

Roselaar

Deleted list part 2.

Roselaar

Deleted list part 3.

Roselaar

Deleted list part 4.

Roselaar

Did a complete makeover of the list. Deleted several species, added numerous others, added new pictures and created stable links to all of them. No more dead links from now on!

Several of the newer species might prove to be not quite so unique after all. And there's still plenty of species without pictures. Better explore the new list to see what can be done, folks! :)

SBell

There is an Acinonyx pardinensis picture here you can use

Roselaar

Quote from: SBell on May 06, 2013, 11:09:03 PM
There is an Acinonyx pardinensis picture here you can use

So there is! Thanks for the heads-up, I added it immediately.  ;)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: