News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Unique Species Specimen Discussion Thread

Started by Roselaar, August 28, 2012, 02:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SBell

Quote from: Roselaar on May 07, 2013, 11:12:29 PM
Quote from: SBell on May 06, 2013, 11:09:03 PM
There is an Acinonyx pardinensis picture here you can use

So there is! Thanks for the heads-up, I added it immediately.  ;)

And, you can take it down now...although not very cheetah-like, Geoworld has an official Acinonyx pardinensis in their Ice Age Mammal sets (I got in some small kits and they are clearly labelled on the package and cards).

Roselaar

Quote from: SBell on May 08, 2013, 02:22:45 AM
Quote from: Roselaar on May 07, 2013, 11:12:29 PM
Quote from: SBell on May 06, 2013, 11:09:03 PM
There is an Acinonyx pardinensis picture here you can use

So there is! Thanks for the heads-up, I added it immediately.  ;)

And, you can take it down now...although not very cheetah-like, Geoworld has an official Acinonyx pardinensis in their Ice Age Mammal sets (I got in some small kits and they are clearly labelled on the package and cards).

Oh, well that's nice!  ::)

But hey, that comes with keeping track of a list like this. Still only about 280 species to debunk, Geoworld! Go for it!  ;D

crankydinosaur

QuoteAnd, you can take it down now...although not very cheetah-like, Geoworld has an official Acinonyx pardinensis in their Ice Age Mammal sets (I got in some small kits and they are clearly labelled on the package and cards).

what exactly are those animals in those sets? One of them kinda looks like an Anthracotherium

SBell

Quote from: crankydinosaur on June 04, 2013, 04:24:23 AM
QuoteAnd, you can take it down now...although not very cheetah-like, Geoworld has an official Acinonyx pardinensis in their Ice Age Mammal sets (I got in some small kits and they are clearly labelled on the package and cards).

what exactly are those animals in those sets? One of them kinda looks like an Anthracotherium

One of them is indeed an anthracothere! They are scaled down models of a larger set that showed up here a while ago from the Netherlands (I think?).

There is a mammoth, woolly rhino, smilodon, anthracothere, cave lion and giant cheetah (there are cards to prove it and everything!) although the last two are more...imaginative restorations.  I have a couple sets for sale; they are about the same size as toob figures, but they come in a big ice-egg case with playmat, rocks and info cards.

Roselaar

Quote from: SBell on June 04, 2013, 05:19:14 AM

One of them is indeed an anthracothere! They are scaled down models of a larger set that showed up here a while ago from the Netherlands (I think?).

They did? I seemed to have missed them then. :-/

If there's any new species in the set and you've got pics of them (or you can point me in the right direction), by all means.

SBell

Quote from: Roselaar on June 04, 2013, 08:35:35 PM
Quote from: SBell on June 04, 2013, 05:19:14 AM

They did? I seemed to have missed them then. :-/

If there's any new species in the set and you've got pics of them (or you can point me in the right direction), by all means.

It depends--obviously the mammoth, rhino and smilodon aren't new! And I know of at least one other A. pardinensis (you had my photo!). The other two--cave lion and anthracothere--would be unique, except that I have two different ones, very similar, obviously from the same sculptor, but very different sizes. So no, not unique (by the standards of this thread) but unique nonetheless.

Roselaar

Okay, so not unique then. Fine by me. Saves me the trouble of adapting my thread.

crankydinosaur

I'm excited about that Anthrcothere do you know what species it represents

SBell

Quote from: crankydinosaur on June 07, 2013, 01:25:48 AM
I'm excited about that Anthrcothere do you know what species it represents

It's pretty generic. I can't recall off hand if it is Anthracotherium or if they just left it as anthracothere.

Roselaar

Wuerhosaurus is out. Turns out there's a Dinoz version of this species as well.

Roselaar

BTW, Gryposaurus is not a unique species by any chance...?

Roselaar

Roselaar

Exit Dorygnathus. Apparently there's a Dinowaurs figure too.

Roselaar

Made a big update to this list in terms of Yowies. Added missing pictures of certain species and replaced previous pictures. Series A is covered, but there's still a lot of work to be done on B and C. My biggest vexation is that in many cases I don't know whether a species is unique or not.

Brontozaurus

I can help with some of the yowie photos.

Also, Australovenator should go because Geoworld did a figure of it, and Yowie did Procoptodon, not Sthenurus, which is also an upcoming Geoworld figure. Additionally, the Yowie Leptocleidus should be merged with Umoonasaurus because the specimen it represents was first classified as Leptocleidus, but it became its own genus after the figure was released.

"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Roselaar

Quote from: Brontozaurus on August 30, 2013, 01:57:29 AM

Also, Australovenator should go because Geoworld did a figure of it, and Yowie did Procoptodon, not Sthenurus, which is also an upcoming Geoworld figure. Additionally, the Yowie Leptocleidus should be merged with Umoonasaurus because the specimen it represents was first classified as Leptocleidus, but it became its own genus after the figure was released.

Thanks for your assistance, I corrected these particular bits. Is Procoptodon itself unique by any chance? I can't recall any other figures of this kangaroo.

Poor Australovenator...

CityRaptor

You will also need to remover Microceratus, since there is one from Dinoz, even it is labeled Microceratops. ( It is one of the few Dinoz I got since I thought it was unique )
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Roselaar

Quote from: CityRaptor on August 30, 2013, 06:09:36 PM
You will also need to remover Microceratus, since there is one from Dinoz, even it is labeled Microceratops. ( It is one of the few Dinoz I got since I thought it was unique )

So those species are identical then? You learn something new every day... I'll scratch it off the list. Thanks!

SBell

Quote from: Roselaar on August 30, 2013, 05:35:48 PM

Thanks for your assistance, I corrected these particular bits. Is Procoptodon itself unique by any chance? I can't recall any other figures of this kangaroo.

Poor Australovenator...

Australovenator should have come off there anyway--CollectA made one too.

Brontozaurus

Quote from: Roselaar on August 30, 2013, 05:35:48 PM

Poor Australovenator...

Procoptodon is getting its second-ever figure in the upcoming Geoworld mammals line. I pointed it out in my post but I worded it a bit poorly. To my knowledge there's never been a Sthenurus figure ever; not even Yowie did one.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: