News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Unique Species Specimen Discussion Thread

Started by Roselaar, August 28, 2012, 02:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

Quote from: Sim on December 02, 2016, 10:09:38 PM
I think having more than one rule for skeleton figures creates a contradiction.  I think they should either all count or all not count.
I disagree, I feel like including skeletons if they are the only representation is more like an honorable mention to begin with.

Roselaar

Decided to stick with consistency. There's a few skeletal reconstructions on the thread already, so that's the road I started down. Which means Lourinhanosaurus is now off the list.

Thanks for the feedback!

BlueKrono

You can pull Cliff Green's Prognathodon. Looks like some company called Datoons made one in 2015.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

BlueKrono

But to replace it you can add Mystriosuchus, Erectopus, Lurdusaurus, Tianchisaurus, and Megalneusaurus. All can be found on Dan's Dinosaurs, and I've done a preliminary check on all and don't think there are other versions out there. Correct me if I'm wrong.

http://stores.dansdinosaurs.com/megalneusaurus-faux-bronze-finished-model-by-rader/
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Roselaar

Quote from: BlueKrono on December 12, 2016, 11:06:47 AM
But to replace it you can add Mystriosuchus, Erectopus, Lurdusaurus, Tianchisaurus, and Megalneusaurus. All can be found on Dan's Dinosaurs, and I've done a preliminary check on all and don't think there are other versions out there. Correct me if I'm wrong.

http://stores.dansdinosaurs.com/megalneusaurus-faux-bronze-finished-model-by-rader/

Wow. You think I haven't got any stuff to do, don't you?  ;D

Good finds, I'll add them at my earliest convenience. Got a pic of the Datoons Prognathodon?

Roselaar

Added those five new species. Deleted Ambulocetus, Lythronax, Palaeoloxodon, Pycnonemosaurus, Xiphactinus and Utahceratops.

Have Coahuilaceratops, Glyptotherium, Iberomesornis, Maledictosuchus, Pachycrocuta, Wendiceratops, Xenocheryx, Pentecopterus, Rubeoceratops, Repenomamus, Zhanghenglong and Chilesaurus been done before?

Jetoar

Quote from: Roselaar on December 17, 2016, 02:44:32 PM
Added those five new species. Deleted Ambulocetus, Lythronax, Palaeoloxodon, Pycnonemosaurus, Xiphactinus and Utahceratops.

Have Coahuilaceratops, Glyptotherium, Iberomesornis, Maledictosuchus, Pachycrocuta, Wendiceratops, Xenocheryx, Pentecopterus, Rubeoceratops, Repenomamus, Zhanghenglong and Chilesaurus been done before?

Iberomesornis, Maledictosuchus, Pachycrocuta, Xenocheryx, Pentecopterus and Repenomamus are made by me for first time ^-^.
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

AcroSauroTaurus

Coahuilaceratops is planned for my figure line. And I think you mean Rubeosaurus. ;)
I am the Dinosaur King!

Roselaar

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on December 18, 2016, 01:19:51 AM

Coahuilaceratops is planned for my figure line. And I think you mean Rubeosaurus. ;)

Apparently I do, though that's not the name it was listed under by the site that sold the model.

I'll add the others in due time.

BlueKrono

I don't have a picture of the Datoons since I don't own it yet. I found it on Google images though.

Irritation

Now the only reason I would get the Papo Kaprosuchus is to make it a prehistoric crocodile. I mean honestly, I wish it was a little bit more like the primeval or safari ltd versions.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Irritation on December 19, 2016, 04:49:24 PM
Now the only reason I would get the Papo Kaprosuchus is to make it a prehistoric crocodile. I mean honestly, I wish it was a little bit more like the primeval or safari ltd versions.
It was (more or less) a crocodile. The Primeval "Kaprosuchus" is more like a mammal with a giant tail and armor plating, nothing at all like the(/a) real animal.

And just my two cents here; aside from the pose I don't see that huge a difference between the Papo and Safari versions, I suppose the Papo is more detailed, and the Safari is less costly which makes up for that, but in no way do they depict radically different interpretations of the animal.

The Atroxious

To be fair, the Papo Kaprosuchus (or, uh, Paposuchus if you will) is built more like a generic crocodile, with the neck pouch, flatter skull, and more pronounced rib flare. The Safari Kaprosuchus looks less like any animal we're familiar with today, while still keeping a decidedly crocodilian appearance.

As for the Primeval Kaprosuchus, having done a quick Google search, it looks like somebody took the pig-crocodile reference a bit too literally. The real animal was nowhere near as piglike as the Primeval version seems to be.

Roselaar

Irritation

Quote from: The Atroxious on December 19, 2016, 05:48:38 PM
To be fair, the Papo Kaprosuchus (or, uh, Paposuchus if you will) is built more like a generic crocodile, with the neck pouch, flatter skull, and more pronounced rib flare. The Safari Kaprosuchus looks less like any animal we're familiar with today, while still keeping a decidedly crocodilian appearance.

As for the Primeval Kaprosuchus, having done a quick Google search, it looks like somebody took the pig-crocodile reference a bit too literally. The real animal was nowhere near as piglike as the Primeval version seems to be.
And that is why I see it more as a crocodilian from the mesozoic era.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Irritation on December 19, 2016, 08:46:23 PM
Quote from: The Atroxious on December 19, 2016, 05:48:38 PM

And that is why I see it more as a crocodilian from the mesozoic era.
But Kaprosuchus was a crocodilian...

Sim

I hope I don't come across as pedantic, but Kaprosuchus isn't a crocodilian.

Irritation

Quote from: Sim on December 19, 2016, 09:56:08 PM
I agree and it is also the same with Sarchosuchus and Deinosuchus.

CityRaptor

Well, they are Crocodylomorphs however.

Also, is this just me or does a lot of that "Ark: Survival Evolved" junk pop up when googling Kaprosuchus?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

stargatedalek

That's what I'd always thought too, but I checked Wikipedia earlier and:
QuoteCrocodyliformes is a clade of crurotarsan archosaurs, the group often traditionally referred to as "crocodilians".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crocodyliformes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaprosuchus

Quote from: Irritation on December 19, 2016, 10:06:47 PM
I agree and it is also the same with Sarchosuchus and Deinosuchus.
Sarchosuchus yes, it lies outside of crocodilians, but Deinosuchus is an alligator, and therefore also a crocodilian:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinosuchus

Additionally, in no way does being outside of crocodylia make a depiction like that from Primeval plausible.

Quote from: CityRaptor on December 19, 2016, 10:10:39 PMAlso, is this just me or does a lot of that "Ark: Survival Evolved" junk pop up when googling Kaprosuchus?
The same goes for any animal included in the game that wasn't already obscenely well known (aka aside from Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Ankylosaurus, Stegosaurus and Brontosaurus). Mixed feelings, because while the ARK depictions are intended to be fantasy, when it occasionally does feature a truly obscure animal it grants it significant notoriety.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: