News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Unique Species Specimen Discussion Thread

Started by Roselaar, August 28, 2012, 02:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueKrono

Was pleased to come upon Campylognathoides in the Waiphoon pterosaur series. Talk about obscure prehistoric critters... Here's a link to discussion of them with a pic of it: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2472.0
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Roselaar

Quote from: BlueKrono on September 27, 2016, 10:57:41 PM
Was pleased to come upon Campylognathoides in the Waiphoon pterosaur series. Talk about obscure prehistoric critters... Here's a link to discussion of them with a pic of it: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2472.0

Added it and Dakosaurus (still looking for a good pic of that one). Also added Tupandactylus from the same lot of Pterosaurs.

Found out Waiphoon also did a Scaphognathus, so deleted that one. However, the picture I had for that species, which was supposed to be from an S.H. model (whatever that is, I can't remember), was actually the Waiphoon Campylognathoides... Which means the Waiphoon Scaphognathus might also be unique after all. Unless someone shows me the S.H. figure...

Halichoeres

Quote from: Roselaar on September 28, 2016, 03:47:33 PM
Quote from: BlueKrono on September 27, 2016, 10:57:41 PM

Added it and Dakosaurus (still looking for a good pic of that one). Also added Tupandactylus from the same lot of Pterosaurs.

Found out Waiphoon also did a Scaphognathus, so deleted that one. However, the picture I had for that species, which was supposed to be from an S.H. model (whatever that is, I can't remember), was actually the Waiphoon Campylognathoides... Which means the Waiphoon Scaphognathus might also be unique after all. Unless someone shows me the S.H. figure...

I have the impression that lots of Waiphoon's molds are not unique to Waiphoon. I'm not familiar with S.H. and there is no listing for it in Dinosauriana, which doesn't list any Campylognathoides or Scaphognathus at all. I have the Campylognathoides, or at least a figure that came from an identical mold.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Roselaar

Confusing is what it is. Nevertheless, for now I will keep Scaphognathus off the list.

BlueKrono

If you're still looking for a pic of Dakosaurus, here's one:

We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Roselaar

Quote from: BlueKrono on October 04, 2016, 05:03:09 AM

Thanks, that'll come in handy!

Too bad the paint job of the mouth looks so lousy in such a close-up. But then, the paint jobs on the Prehistoric Crocodiles toob figures were a far cry from their Prehistoric Marine Life counterparts only a year prior.

SBell

Quote from: Roselaar on October 04, 2016, 10:51:57 PM

Too bad the paint job of the mouth looks so lousy in such a close-up. But then, the paint jobs on the Prehistoric Crocodiles toob figures were a far cry from their Prehistoric Marine Life counterparts only a year prior.

There was a Dakosaurus figure for the I DIG kits by API in around 2009. It didn't last long, but it did exist.

Halichoeres

Quote from: SBell on October 07, 2016, 02:02:43 PM

There was a Dakosaurus figure for the I DIG kits by API in around 2009. It didn't last long, but it did exist.

Interesting! I didn't know they'd done any crocs. Were there others? And more importantly, do you have pics?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SBell

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 07, 2016, 02:18:54 PM
Quote from: SBell on October 07, 2016, 02:02:43 PM

Interesting! I didn't know they'd done any crocs. Were there others? And more importantly, do you have pics?

Unfortunately, I don't--it came out at the same time as the I DIG SHARKS kits, but was a very large one (for those who remember--there were smaller clamshell ones, like the SHARKS, and really big box sets, like the Dakosaurus one). It was only around for a couple years, and too pricey to bring in to the store at our museum. The next year, the whole company imploded and all f the sets were no longer around.

So of course I never kept links or photos. No one expected them to just fold up and disappear.

Roselaar

Sounds intriguing. I hope pics of it will follow some day.

So that's Dakosaurus off again. That was fast...

BlueKrono

Hmm... I can find no trace of it. Action Products made 8 kits in the I Dig series:

- I Dig Prehistoric Sharks Excavation Adventure
- I Dig Fossils
- I Dig T-Rex
- I Dig Triceratops
- I Dig Velociraptor
- I Dig Beginners Kit
- I Dig Raptor Attack
- I Dig Mini Dig Adventure

Which one of those contained a Dakosaurus? Was this something you saw with your own eyes in a store somewhere?

SBell

Quote from: BlueKrono on October 10, 2016, 02:53:24 PM
Hmm... I can find no trace of it. Action Products made 8 kits in the I Dig series:

- I Dig Prehistoric Sharks Excavation Adventure
- I Dig Fossils
- I Dig T-Rex
- I Dig Triceratops
- I Dig Velociraptor
- I Dig Beginners Kit
- I Dig Raptor Attack
- I Dig Mini Dig Adventure

Which one of those contained a Dakosaurus? Was this something you saw with your own eyes in a store somewhere?

It was in a catalog in about 2009. Right before the company imploded. Like I said, we could have ordered them but didn't. And then the entire line went away.

Roselaar

So then, does this Dakosaurus actually exist? As in, was it available for purchase long enough to count for this list? If it's like WWD Ornithocheirus rare, I might disregard it and put the Safari figure back in.

SBell

Quote from: Roselaar on October 10, 2016, 09:53:07 PM
So then, does this Dakosaurus actually exist? As in, was it available for purchase long enough to count for this list? If it's like WWD Ornithocheirus rare, I might disregard it and put the Safari figure back in.

It is probably at that level, yes. So the Safari, for now, is likely the only one that would have been attainable (the toob is discontinued).

Roselaar

Bloody hell, then I have to add it back in. Well, keeps me off the streets...

Roselaar

Rebor just released a Lourinhanosaurus skeletal reconstruction. I'm hesitant about removing the Collecta Louri though, I'm not so hot on skeletal reconstructions (even if they're depicting unique species, like Lessemsaurus, though that one's on the list).

What's your view on skeleton toys?

SBell

Quote from: Roselaar on December 02, 2016, 08:51:16 PM
Rebor just released a Lourinhanosaurus skeletal reconstruction. I'm hesitant about removing the Collecta Louri though, I'm not so hot on skeletal reconstructions (even if they're depicting unique species, like Lessemsaurus, though that one's on the list).

What's your view on skeleton toys?

Unless it is the only one (like the Lessemsaurus) I tend not to count them. If there is an existing figure, then the skeleton (or, say, skull) is more like an accessory than a version of the model.

Sim

I think having more than one rule for skeleton figures creates a contradiction.  I think they should either all count or all not count.

BlueKrono

I would vote for skeletals to count as species, as long as they include at least the skull (which practically all of them do).  Skeletons aren't really my bag either, but if it's a depiction of a certain species I'd say it's valid, whether it's only bone or zombie-like with bones showing. #dinodamage

Sim

Quote from: BlueKrono on December 02, 2016, 10:18:12 PM
Skeletons aren't really my bag either, but if it's a depiction of a certain species I'd say it's valid, whether it's only bone or zombie-like with bones showing. #dinodamage

When I read the bolded part, for a moment before I read the "#dinodamage" I thought you were referring to extremely shrink-wrapped figures, like the Tyrannosaurus figure in Reply #16 here!: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4294.msg126347#msg126347

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: