News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Unique Species Specimen Discussion Thread

Started by Roselaar, August 28, 2012, 02:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roselaar

Is their Sinornithosaurus the same as the Safari figure? Or do they not specify?

Halichoeres

Quote from: Roselaar on September 18, 2016, 07:01:11 PM
Is their Sinornithosaurus the same as the Safari figure? Or do they not specify?

Oh, yes, sorry, they're referring to the Safari Toob figure.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Roselaar

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 18, 2016, 07:11:38 PM

Guess I'd better add it to the list then. Anyone got a good close-up pic for me?

Halichoeres

Quote from: Roselaar on September 18, 2016, 08:56:34 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on September 18, 2016, 07:11:38 PM

Guess I'd better add it to the list then. Anyone got a good close-up pic for me?

How's this?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Roselaar

BlueKrono

Today in my daily sleuthing I found at least two figures of Chirostenotes made by Dinosaur Train (goes by the name of Keenan), so the Shapeways is out. The Dinofroz series also has an Icarosaurus, and I don't think that's the only other one out there.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Halichoeres

Was the Mlodoch Icarosaurus a one-off? Is that the same Mlodoch who did the FaunaCasts line (R.I.P.)?

Roselaar

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 22, 2016, 04:34:00 PM
Was the Mlodoch Icarosaurus a one-off? Is that the same Mlodoch who did the FaunaCasts line (R.I.P.)?

Yes, it is.

Quote from: BlueKrono on September 22, 2016, 09:21:27 AM
Today in my daily sleuthing I found at least two figures of Chirostenotes made by Dinosaur Train (goes by the name of Keenan), so the Shapeways is out. The Dinofroz series also has an Icarosaurus, and I don't think that's the only other one out there.

That's two down then. But hey, thanks to the availability of the new Paleo-Creatures line, I think I can safely add Aegirocassis and Atopodentatus for balance, right? However, Koolasuchus is off as well. How about Tullimonstrum? Don't recall any more of those.

Seems another overhaul is due in the weekend...

stargatedalek

There was a Tullimonstrum marketed as a juvenile Loch Ness monster, but I don't recall the brand.

Roselaar

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 23, 2016, 01:15:13 AM
There was a Tullimonstrum marketed as a juvenile Loch Ness monster, but I don't recall the brand.

That seems like an odd way to market a Tullimonstrum...  :o

Roselaar

Updated. Aegirocassis and Atopodentatus in, Icarosaurus and Chirostenotes out. Fair trade.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Roselaar on September 23, 2016, 10:38:54 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on September 23, 2016, 01:15:13 AM

That seems like an odd way to market a Tullimonstrum...  :o

It was Medicom. That line had several obviously prehistoric things marketed as cryptids, like a pretty nice 1:100 Quetzalcoatlus mounted over the roof of a house and just called "Texas dragon."

BlueKrono

How do we not have all the critters in a recent Safari toob on here? I noticed my favorite of the prehistoric crocs - Dakosaurus - was missing. Unless there's some really obscure Dako figure out there I don't know about...
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

BlueKrono

Looks like there's a Kelenken made by Paleomaster, so CollectA's out. Here's a review of it:
http://dinotoyblog.com/2011/11/22/kelenken-paleomaster/

Halichoeres

Joe DeMarco's taxon index file from Dinosauriana lists both Safari and Simba as having made a Dakosaurus. However, the sections about Simba's lines (Dinoz and Predators) don't mention a Dakosaurus. Might be a mistake, or it might be an omission, I don't know. I can't find any other reference to it.

Roselaar

Quote from: BlueKrono on September 26, 2016, 04:57:59 PM
How do we not have all the critters in a recent Safari toob on here? I noticed my favorite of the prehistoric crocs - Dakosaurus - was missing. Unless there's some really obscure Dako figure out there I don't know about...

What other figures from that toob should be on the list, according to you?

Don't know about the other Dakosaurus from Simba, sounds like a mix-up or something.

Deleting Kelenken.

Halichoeres

Chasmatosaurus--the only other one I know is on Shapeways
Dakosaurus--???
Rutiodon validus has been moved to Machaeroprosopus, but this was still sold as a Rutiodon, just like the Kaiyodo Dinotales version. Maybe controversial, but I would say it should stay off the list on that basis.

All the others that are unique are already on the list.

BlueKrono

Having reviewed my updated (a couple weeks ago) CD of Dinosauriana from Joe, I found no Dakosaurus in any of the 10 different Safari lines other than in the toob, and none in Simba. This CD contains comprehensive lists and pictures of almost every figure described. I think it's safe to add the toob Dako.

Roselaar

Dakosaurus it is then. Anyone got a good close-up pic of that figure?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: