You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Unique Species Specimen Discussion Thread

Started by Roselaar, August 28, 2012, 02:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irritation

I was originally wanting Euoplocephalus to be in Papo next year, but maybe it won't.

The Atroxious

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 19, 2016, 10:26:59 PM
Quote from: Sim on December 19, 2016, 09:56:08 PM
I hope I don't come across as pedantic, but Kaprosuchus isn't a crocodilian.
That's what I'd always thought too, but I checked Wikipedia earlier and:
QuoteCrocodyliformes is a clade of crurotarsan archosaurs, the group often traditionally referred to as "crocodilians".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crocodyliformes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaprosuchus

As far as I'm aware, only members of the group crocodilia should be referred to as crocodilians. Crocodyliformes should be referred to as just that: crocodyliformes. It's like referring to all maniraptoriformes as "maniraptors" when maniraptora excludes ornithomimosaurs, or saying that a Dilong is a tyrannosaurid, when it's technically a tyrannosauroid.

stargatedalek

Quote from: The Atroxious on December 19, 2016, 10:47:45 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on December 19, 2016, 10:26:59 PM
Quote from: Sim on December 19, 2016, 09:56:08 PM
I hope I don't come across as pedantic, but Kaprosuchus isn't a crocodilian.
That's what I'd always thought too, but I checked Wikipedia earlier and:
QuoteCrocodyliformes is a clade of crurotarsan archosaurs, the group often traditionally referred to as "crocodilians".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crocodyliformes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaprosuchus

As far as I'm aware, only members of the group crocodilia should be referred to as crocodilians. Crocodyliformes should be referred to as just that: crocodyliformes. It's like referring to all maniraptoriformes as "maniraptors" when maniraptora excludes ornithomimosaurs, or saying that a Dilong is a tyrannosaurid, when it's technically a tyrannosauroid.
Except that it isn't like any of those examples at all. "Crocodyliformes" is literally the proper terminology for "crocodilians", which is an informal variation. Crocodilians has never meant crocodilia. The terms are similar but not arbitrary.

Roselaar

What does all of this have to do with unique species figures...?

stargatedalek

Quote from: Roselaar on December 20, 2016, 08:34:12 PM
Nothing at all, someone was complaining that the Papo Kaprosuchus didn't look like the Primeval version and things escalated.

Takama

Quote from: Roselaar on December 17, 2016, 02:44:32 PM
Added those five new species. Deleted Ambulocetus, Lythronax, Palaeoloxodon, Pycnonemosaurus, Xiphactinus and Utahceratops.

Have Coahuilaceratops, Glyptotherium, Iberomesornis, Maledictosuchus, Pachycrocuta, Wendiceratops, Xenocheryx, Pentecopterus, Rubeoceratops, Repenomamus, Zhanghenglong and Chilesaurus been done before?

This was done by Lu Feng Shen

Roselaar

Quote from: Takama on December 21, 2016, 07:24:26 AM

Quote from: Roselaar on December 17, 2016, 02:44:32 PM
Added those five new species. Deleted Ambulocetus, Lythronax, Palaeoloxodon, Pycnonemosaurus, Xiphactinus and Utahceratops.

Have Coahuilaceratops, Glyptotherium, Iberomesornis, Maledictosuchus, Pachycrocuta, Wendiceratops, Xenocheryx, Pentecopterus, Rubeoceratops, Repenomamus, Zhanghenglong and Chilesaurus been done before?

This was done by Lu Feng Shen

Yeah, that's the one I found on DD, which I thought was the only one. But now that another one will be commercially available soon, I won't bother to add it to the list.

Irritation

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 21, 2016, 06:41:32 AM
Quote from: Roselaar on December 20, 2016, 08:34:12 PM
Nothing at all, someone was complaining that the Papo Kaprosuchus didn't look like the Primeval version and things escalated.
I actually wanted the Kaprosuchus to look nothing like someone took a crocodile and gave it dinosaur legs.

Roselaar

Added Glyptotherium, Iberomesornis, Maledictosuchus, Pachycrocuta, Wendiceratops, Xenocheryx, Pentecopterus, Rubeoceratops, Repenomamus, Zhanghenglong and Chilesaurus.

BlueKrono

Quote from: crankydinosaur on December 24, 2016, 09:24:46 PM
Glyptotherium!?!?!

I wonder if the glyptodonts made by companies such as Starlux, Invicta and Kaiyodo are the genus Glyptodon rather than Glyptotherium. Hard for me to tell the difference in figures, especially when we're talking about the quality of Starlux's derpy version. One more addition, or rather subtraction. Meiolania is no longer unique; a Japanese company that might be called "Sunguts" makes a bipedal, sometimes very brightly colored one now. Do a quick google search for "Sunguts Meiolania" and you'll see what I'm talking about. Yay turtles!
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Roselaar

Quote from: BlueKrono on December 25, 2016, 05:12:36 PM
Quote from: crankydinosaur on December 24, 2016, 09:24:46 PM
Glyptotherium!?!?!

I wonder if the glyptodonts made by companies such as Starlux, Invicta and Kaiyodo are the genus Glyptodon rather than Glyptotherium. Hard for me to tell the difference in figures, especially when we're talking about the quality of Starlux's derpy version. One more addition, or rather subtraction. Meiolania is no longer unique; a Japanese company that might be called "Sunguts" makes a bipedal, sometimes very brightly colored one now. Do a quick google search for "Sunguts Meiolania" and you'll see what I'm talking about. Yay turtles!

Geez, that's an awful figure! Nevertheless, it's enough to warrant getting rid of Kaiyodo's Meiolania. So sad.

Glyptotherium stands, even if some of the Glyptodon sculpts might be that exact same species. Then they should have named them such.

Sim

Quote from: Roselaar on December 25, 2016, 08:47:53 PM
Quote from: BlueKrono on December 25, 2016, 05:12:36 PM
One more addition, or rather subtraction. Meiolania is no longer unique; a Japanese company that might be called "Sunguts" makes a bipedal, sometimes very brightly colored one now. Do a quick google search for "Sunguts Meiolania" and you'll see what I'm talking about. Yay turtles!

Geez, that's an awful figure! Nevertheless, it's enough to warrant getting rid of Kaiyodo's Meiolania. So sad.

I did a Google search for that figure, and I saw it.  I also saw that company makes bipedal... Dunkleosteus and Helicoprion!!  And Tylosaurus!  http://sofvi.tokyo/161004_sunguts/

BlueKrono

I know! I want all four. Rather obscure and interesting species choices, but quite goofy figures.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Halichoeres

Those are hilarious! As much as I love prehistoric fish, I somehow think I'll be able to resist these...
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

Would any of the Transmutazors figures belong on the unique species specimen list?: http://minifigures.blogspot.co.uk/2009/11/transmutazors.html

The ones I'm thinking of are Stegoceras and Thecodontosaurus.  There's also a Dryosaurus in this series, and there's currently another Dryosaurus figure on the unique species specimen list...

Roselaar

Quote from: Sim on January 02, 2017, 08:48:43 AM
Would any of the Transmutazors figures belong on the unique species specimen list?: http://minifigures.blogspot.co.uk/2009/11/transmutazors.html

The ones I'm thinking of are Stegoceras and Thecodontosaurus.  There's also a Dryosaurus in this series, and there's currently another Dryosaurus figure on the unique species specimen list...

Oh my, those are bloody awful... But yeah, the pre-mutation figures deserve a spot on the list. Which means Dryosaurus is off, and Thecondontosaurus and Stegoceras are in. And what about Thescelosaurus and Staurikosaurus?

I would like some decent pics of the new additions though. The group shot is inadequate. Google doesn't help, so if anybody can help out here, by all means!

Sim

I had some of them when I was a kid back in the 90's.  I wished the mutated versions didn't exist since I didn't like them and was only interested in the non-mutated animals.  Despite the figures not being amazing, I actually liked the non-mutated ones I had! :))  I think a lot of the species in this series didn't have any other toy version available back then.  I think some still don't have great toy versions, or any other toy version.  I remember especially liking the Metriorhynchus, as no other figure like it was available back then, and wishing I had the Staurikosaurus for the same reason. Looking back at them now, there's some interesting species choices, and some of the mutated versions are so absurd they're funny!  I also notice the Plesiosaurus has a tail fin, and the Lambeosaurus appears to be L. magnicristatus rather than L. lambei!

I think I must've forgotton Shapeways figures are included on the list.  Sorry.  I guess Stegoceras wouldn't belong on the list then since there's a Shapeways Stegoceras as well: http://www.shapeways.com/product/EUV2RLQAD/stegoceras-validum

Thescelosaurus has also been made by Geoworld.  As for Staurikosaurus, if you thought the Transmutazors were awful, what do you think of this Staurikosaurus figure? (Reply #472): http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3390.msg149328#msg149328

SBell

Quote from: Roselaar on January 02, 2017, 12:35:46 PM
Quote from: Sim on January 02, 2017, 08:48:43 AM

Oh my, those are bloody awful... But yeah, the pre-mutation figures deserve a spot on the list. Which means Dryosaurus is off, and Thecondontosaurus and Stegoceras are in. And what about Thescelosaurus and Staurikosaurus?

I would like some decent pics of the new additions though. The group shot is inadequate. Google doesn't help, so if anybody can help out here, by all means!

Geoworld made a Thescelosaurus, and there is an easily available Shapeways Stegoceras.

There is also an officially labelled Staurikosaurus here   ;D

Not sure on Dryptosaurus, if it is made elsewhere.

Halichoeres

There's also this Staurikosaurus:

The Transmutazors version seems to still be the most accurate!

According to Dinosauriana, there are at least 3 different Dryptosaurus figures, but they're all in the same kind of boat of small, crude, monochrome or minimally painted toys.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: