News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Unique Species Specimen Discussion Thread

Started by Roselaar, August 28, 2012, 02:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katieraptor

What I love about Allosaurus is that it lived an extremely violent life that was rife with broken bones, cuts, scrapes, infections, sprains, and yet it just kept on truckin.

My Art

Halichoeres

Quote from: Roselaar on January 21, 2018, 11:25:39 PM
So... I should probably add the Schleich Dinogorgon and Tawa to the list now, right?

I would say also the Creative Beast Buitreraptor. I'm not aware of another one. Does the MIXVS MINIMAX Mononykus mini-kit precludes the Creative Beast one?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Roselaar

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 22, 2018, 05:49:19 PM
So... I should probably add the Schleich Dinogorgon and Tawa to the list now, right?

I would say also the Creative Beast Buitreraptor. I'm not aware of another one. Does the MIXVS MINIMAX Mononykus mini-kit precludes the Creative Beast one?

Thanks for the input, folks!

I'm not aware of that figure, Hali. Got any pics?

Buitreraptor should be included indeed. And I'll add the Schleich figures this week. Where can I find pics of the Tetralophodon?

BlueKrono

Quote from: Roselaar on January 22, 2018, 10:06:20 PM

Buitreraptor should be included indeed. And I'll add the Schleich figures this week. Where can I find pics of the Tetralophodon?

Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/157649295@N04/27991853019/
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Roselaar

Quote from: BlueKrono on January 23, 2018, 04:35:43 AM
Quote from: Roselaar on January 22, 2018, 10:06:20 PM

Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/157649295@N04/27991853019/

Thank you, that will do nicely.

Roselaar

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Roselaar

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 24, 2018, 07:51:33 PM
Forgive the late reply. Here's Lanthanotus's review of the Mononykus:

http://dinotoyblog.com/2017/12/30/mononykus-mixus-minimax/

Aww, that's cute! But yeah, that means the BotM Mono is not a candidate for the list.

Roselaar

Sim

In addition to the Morbi figure, Stegoceras was also included in the Transmutazors line.  It was discussed in this thread previously, and it wasn't added to the unique species specimen list due to the existence of the Shapeways Stegoceras.

I wonder if Sinornithosaurus should also be removed from the list, due to the kit seen in Reply #7 here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5977.msg177555#msg177555

Roselaar

Quote from: Sim on February 10, 2018, 01:14:20 PM
In addition to the Morbi figure, Stegoceras was also included in the Transmutazors line.  It was discussed in this thread previously, and it wasn't added to the unique species specimen list due to the existence of the Shapeways Stegoceras.

I wonder if Sinornithosaurus should also be removed from the list, due to the kit seen in Reply #7 here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5977.msg177555#msg177555

Thanks for the correction, I knew it sounded like a familiar name. I'll delete it from the list. Shortest position on the list ever... :)

As for that Sinornithosaurus, how wide or limited is the release of that diorama? It seems like the expensive sort of thing that's only produced on a very small scale, which doesn't make it eligible for the USL.

Halichoeres

I forgot about the Transmutazors Stegoceras! The un-mutated one is somewhat tempting.

Sim

Quote from: Roselaar on February 10, 2018, 08:12:49 PM
As for that Sinornithosaurus, how wide or limited is the release of that diorama? It seems like the expensive sort of thing that's only produced on a very small scale, which doesn't make it eligible for the USL.

I don't know much about that Sinornithosaurus model, in Reply #23 of the thread I linked to acro-man said, "Bingni made only 12(?) of those and they are long sold out."

I thought if more than one copy of a model existed it would be eligible for the USL?  You removed the CollectA Leedsichthys from the USL when a second copy of the Faunacasts Leedsichthys came into existence.  Or is there only one copy of this model, with the only other one being the original sculpture?   Either way, if models with a very limited release aren't eligible, will you be re-adding the CollectA Leedsichthys to the USL?  If only one or two of the Faunacasts Leedsichthys were produced then that's very much a limited release!  Even if a couple more of it are produced, it would still be a very limited release, although I'm not aware of more than two being completed - one owned by SBell and the other being the first one completed by the creator.  I also think the circumstance of the "availability" of the Faunacasts Leedsichthys might be worth considering.  It was made available for pre-order, and as far as I'm aware around 5 years later only one has ever been sent to a customer after the customer made an effort to get his order fulfilled.  To me releasing a model in this way doesn't seem consistent with what the USL should be about.

stargatedalek

If I'm recalling correctly (from word, not memory) the Faunacasts Leedsichthys wasn't limited in availability, and in theory any number of people could have ordered one in the day.

Sim

As far as I'm aware out of those that ordered the Leedsichthys, only Sbell received his after he persisted in trying to get his order from around five years ago completed.  I think this is more reason not to count the Faunacasts Leedsichthys for the USL - even though more than one person ordered it, only one appears to have ever been produced and others that ordered it have still not received it.  If everyone who ordered this model received it, I think it could count for the list.

As for whether the Faunacasts Leedsichthys was limited in availabilty, I don't know how long this model was available to order and whether there was a limit on how many people could order it.  Currently, I don't think it can be considered to have been available though, since it was never produced until December 2017 when only one was produced following SBell's effort to get what he paid for years ago.

SBell

Quote from: Sim on February 11, 2018, 07:52:05 PM
As far as I'm aware out of those that ordered the Leedsichthys, only Sbell received his after he persisted in trying to get his order from around five years ago completed.  I think this is more reason not to count the Faunacasts Leedsichthys for the USL - even though more than one person ordered it, only one appears to have ever been produced and others that ordered it have still not received it.  If everyone who ordered this model received it, I think it could count for the list.

As for whether the Faunacasts Leedsichthys was limited in availabilty, I don't know how long this model was available to order and whether there was a limit on how many people could order it.  Currently, I don't think it can be considered to have been available though, since it was never produced until December 2017 when only one was produced following SBell's effort to get what he paid for years ago.

It wasn't limited in availability--if someone ordered and prepaid, he would make one (or, will, eventually, not sure how he's doing with them). It's the same as every other figure in the line. I know for a fact that someone got theirs before I got mine (not a member here...).

Not sure what the criteria is for 'available'. There are model kits that have been limited in numbers, or even geographically, but they should still count.

Most of the figures in his line probably top out at 10 or so (the earliest could be a few more). The long hand-production times and high-ish prices kept them pretty limited in that sense.

Sim

Quote from: SBell on February 12, 2018, 01:08:58 AM
It wasn't limited in availability--if someone ordered and prepaid, he would make one (or, will, eventually, not sure how he's doing with them). It's the same as every other figure in the line. I know for a fact that someone got theirs before I got mine (not a member here...).

That's helpful to know.

Not sure what the criteria is for 'available'. There are model kits that have been limited in numbers, or even geographically, but they should still count.

Well, if the Faunacasts Leedsichthys wasn't produced within a reasonably expected timeframe, became unavailable to order while it still wasn't produced, got produced much later following customer effort to get an outstanding order completed, and hasn't been distributed to everyone who has ordered it, this doesn't make me think it was available.  That's how I see it anyway.  As I said previously, if the others who are known to still be waiting for their Faunacasts Leedsichthys received theirs, it wouldn't seem a bit weird to me to have this model count for the list.  At this point though, I don't have a strong opinion about whether it ought to count for the USL.

Most of the figures in his line probably top out at 10 or so (the earliest could be a few more). The long hand-production times and high-ish prices kept them pretty limited in that sense.

So it seems the extent of release for Faunacasts models would be similar to the Sinornithosaurus model I brought up earlier.  Although the actual amount of Faunacasts Leedsichthys produced so far would be lower, based on your post in this thread from 18 December 2017 in which you said there are two models of it.

Roselaar

These high-end collectible statuettes are making it very difficult to decide what should and shouldn't go on the list... Maybe I should ignore them altogether and focus on the more generic toy figures.

The Leedsichthys case is a hard one, considering people who place an order ought to get one (sometime, ever, supposedly), so theoretically there could end up to be hundreds of these. I know that's not actually the case though. However, a model that's limited to only 12 in my mind is not justifiable to be on the USL. The idea is to only enter figures/models that one can obtain (or could have obtained before they all sold out) with some ease. I don't want to put a number to that though, because then I would need to keep track of such numbers and that's not something I want to do.

Maybe I should reinstate Collecta's Leedsichthys. At least just until there's actually hundreds of Faunacasts Leedsies in existence. But as far as I'm concerned, Sinornithosaurus remains on the USL.

BlueKrono

I would remove it if there were 12. I own pieces that are limited to 300, or 40, or fewer pieces. I'd love to pick up the Sinorn, but funds have been tight due to a recent trip I took. I guess I tend more toward removing than allowing, so I'd consider there to be two Leeds and two Sinorns.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

stargatedalek

Personally I'm with Roselaar here, a model being intended to have a limited run (IE the creator only making x amount no matter what) is a very convenient place to draw a line.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: