News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Kaiyodo--new for 2019

Started by brettnj, March 29, 2019, 05:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brettnj

Below is a paste of the message sent to my mailing list...

https://dino2019.jp/ticket.html

Set of 5 available in boxed museum bronze finish with advance ticket purchase at 5000 yen.

The regular/expected paint set of 5 will be available via random/y dispensing machine at the event for 500 yen each.

Here's the caveat...  My source is not yet sure if she will attend.

So I can't promise she can get the boxed set even if you pay the advance ticket price and I can't quote a price for the regular versions since we don't know how many spares we'll have to buy to get what we need (which will surely be an enormous amount) to meet the requests.

Buyers will have to pre-order with that understanding. Since the demand will surely be very high, if for some reason we can't meet it (though I doubt that will be the case), figures will (obviously) be distributed in request order.

Taking orders now.

Thanks.
Brett

Anyone not on my mailing list please PM with interest. Thanks.

postsaurischian

Here are the pictures of the Dinosaur Expo 2019 figures:

brettnj

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Which genera is the ornithopod?
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

brettnj

When one of my buyers requested it, he referenced it as Mukawaryu.

Mononykus

Quote from: brettnj on March 31, 2019, 12:31:33 AM
When one of my buyers requested it, he referenced it as Mukawaryu.

I looked it up. Mukawaryu is just the local name for the specimen. It has not yet been formally named (in other words, it should eventually be a new genus)

brettnj

FYI, for anyone interested in the boxed set, it is limited to 2000 and already being sold with advance tickets to the exhibit. My source is buying those tickets for my buyers who've requested them likely Wednesday so if anyone is interested in those in particular, please let me know immediately.

Thanks.
Brett

Halichoeres

Yeah, "Mukawaryu" is the largest Japanese dinosaur known from reasonably complete remains. I predicted here that Favorite would make it, but Kaiyodo beat them to it.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

brettnj

(frustrating) CQ release for July--seemingly another scientifically updated take...

http://dai4.com/item/6208

Taking orders for individuals or set now.

Thanks.
Brett

Halichoeres

The CapsuleQ set is incredibly boring.

Camarasaurus skeleton in two colors
Tyrannosaurus in two colors
Deinonychus with poorly done hands. Why bother updating if you're not going to update it all the way?
Therizinosaurus is maybe the best one, but every one of these is just a Dinotales retread.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Patrx

Kaiyodo, please. You can't just re-release that old Deinonychus in 2019.

ITdactyl

Sad; they didn't even bother updating the Deinonychus considering it's his/her 50th rebirthday*. ;D  (*I meant the anniversary of the "discovery" of course)

I'll get that feathered Theri - I think it looks nice (It'll be a nice replacement - I lost the old version in the unregistered mail vortex)

Are the Rexes retools?  I can't recall a similar sculpt from the dinotales line (or even the older capsule Qs)

gursar

there is a rex with similar walking position (which I have all versions of it in my collection to compare). according to the promo picture, position of the legs looks different than the old one if I'm not wrong. it seems the new one is far more superior than the old one that it would be unfair calling the new one as a re-release (in my humble opinion).  the new rexes' fine details and both color schemes look beautiful to me. of course my objectivity is questionable since I have a soft spot for tyrannosaurus rex. since I am not a member of "t. rex is boring" league :) the new capsuleQ set looks tempting to me for the sake of the new tyrannosaurus rex.

I have not much to say about the other figures I can live with them since they use more durable material for the re-releases considering how fragile the older ones are.

Halichoeres

If they could restrain themselves to 1 Tyrannosaurus per year, I think I could live with that. But they released 3 Sofubi rexes last year, and they're releasing these two as well as the Expo one. 3 out of 11 figures announced for this year are of this single species, from a company that has already made something like 40 different versions. It's...just a little much.

gursar

I usually collect dinotales, miniQ figures and the expo figures in similar scales. the total kaiyodo t. rex number is below 20 in my collection. skeletons, skulls or other tyrannosaurids are not included. sofubi rexes have too many joints for my taste I have no desire to buy them. I also does not count other kaiyodo t.rexes from different scales or series which beyond my budget or undesirable for my taste. lets say there are only 20 tyrannosaurus rex figures fits to my standards since the beginning of kaiyodo company. even if kaiyodo released too much t. rexes only a small percentage is sufficient for my needs. if they restrain themselves to 1 sofubi Tyrannosaurus per year it would be very unhappy for me since I expect a miniQ rex. vice versa a hypothetical t.rex fan who love sofubi series would be dissapointed if there would be only one miniQ t.rex per year. in conclusion I am happy, hypothetical fellow is happy but I would be happier if there was also brand new figures beside t. rex which might make you happy  :)

Halichoeres

Quote from: gursar on April 08, 2019, 10:27:47 PM
I usually collect dinotales, miniQ figures and the expo figures in similar scales. the total kaiyodo t. rex number is below 20 in my collection. skeletons, skulls or other tyrannosaurids are not included. sofubi rexes have too many joints for my taste I have no desire to buy them. I also does not count other kaiyodo t.rexes from different scales or series which beyond my budget or undesirable for my taste. lets say there are only 20 tyrannosaurus rex figures fits to my standards since the beginning of kaiyodo company. even if kaiyodo released too much t. rexes only a small percentage is sufficient for my needs. if they restrain themselves to 1 sofubi Tyrannosaurus per year it would be very unhappy for me since I expect a miniQ rex. vice versa a hypothetical t.rex fan who love sofubi series would be dissapointed if there would be only one miniQ t.rex per year. in conclusion I am happy, hypothetical fellow is happy but I would be happier if there was also brand new figures beside t. rex which might make you happy  :)

Yes, that sounds like a reasonable compromise :) At least the Mukawaryu is new and interesting, although part of the difficult-to-obtain Expo set.

brettnj

A lot of repetition of subjects for sure, but more so problematic because it seems to come at the expense of greater variety of species represented rather than seeing improved versions of popular species which surely help garner sales of the complete line for new, younger, and/or less serious (among them tourist/souvenir?) collectors.

And I'm definitely thankful, for instance, that the company did better by some original representations. The series 1, extra small, static triceratops (which I've never even displayed) comes immediately to mind, as do so many of the earlier paint jobs with bright colors, graphic lines, etc. That horrible camo paint on the first stegosaurus meant I never displayed it either, but the repaint holds one of my best display positions.

And it's tough to argue with the rather impressive decision to reissue species based upon the newest scientific information.

With respect to my taste, we definitely need better of some early and iconic species such as the (awkward) smilodon and the (very unimpressive when it should be very impressive) first mammoth.

Taking the positive further, assuming (And I am...) nice paint, I see this year's Expo t-rex as so impressive a figure that it can stand front and center (figuratively and/or literally) in a Dinotales display.

Brett

Flaffy

Exclusives from Dino Expo 2019, the mosasaur and deinonychus skeleton seems to be the same sculpt as the bronze one in the limited edition box set. Hopefully "Mukawaryu" and Deinocherius is part of this repainted set as well

Flaffy

New pics of the Dino Expo 2019 exclusives:

SBell

Nevermind the figures, I want that display!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: