News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

And Prehistoric Times' Best Dinosaur Toy of 2018 is...

Started by Ravonium, April 23, 2019, 06:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ravonium

...the Safari Ltd Malawisaurus! (according to ED's Twitter)

Additionally, the Mastodon won the Best Non-Dinosaur Toy, and the BOTM Dromaeosaurus albertensis won the Best Prehistoric Animal Model of 2018 (the tweet shows the Fan's Choice version, but it isn't specified which version won)

Jose S.M.

That's interesting and for me unexpected! it's a really nice sculpt and I love it but I thought the coloration was a bit "excentric"to win something like this poll. But congrats to Safari and the sculptor anyways.

suspsy

The American mastodon definitely warrants that honour and I congratulate Doug Watson for his hard work and talent. I may have to amend my review to reflect this development.

The Malawisaurus, however, is an utterly indifferent choice in my book. It's by no means a bad toy, but it's never struck me as a remarkable one aside from the uniqueness of the genus. I think the Triceratops, the Regaliceratops, the Ankylosaurus, or the CollectA Deluxe Iguanodon deserved to win much more.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Ravonium

Quote from: suspsy on April 23, 2019, 07:25:20 PM
The Malawisaurus, however, is an utterly indifferent choice in my book. It's by no means a bad toy, but it's never struck me as a remarkable one aside from the uniqueness of the genus. I think the Triceratops, the Regaliceratops, the Ankylosaurus, or the CollectA Deluxe Iguanodon deserved to win much more.

Pretty much my opinions on the Malawisaurus winning (although my list of preferred frontrunners would have had the Anzu on it instead of the Regaliceratops).

PumperKrickel

deleted

John

The thing about these contests is that they are really comparing apples to oranges most of the time.The Safari Ltd. Malawisaurus is perfect for it's species,as is the Triceratops from the same line,but neither is inherently superior to the other.It's like comparing the best pizza to the best burgers.A more fair contest would be between two different lines' take on the same species in my opinion.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Halichoeres

That reminds me, we haven't done a best of 2018 poll on the forum. I guess nobody wants to go to the trouble of setting it up (I certainly don't).
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Faelrin

Glad to see both the Safari Ltd American Mastodon and BotM Dromaeosaurus getting recognition here. I'm quite surprised the Malawisaurus won though. Not a bad figure, but like others here saying, I was thinking something else would take it (such as another Safari Ltd or CollectA).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

DinoToyForum

I'm really pleased the Safari Ltd Malawisaurus won! :D

Shonisaurus

I'm happy for the winners, the Safari malawisaurus is an outstanding figure although he preferred other 2018 Safari figures as the triceratops, his colors are more realistic or beautiful. On the other hand I'm happy for Doug Watson mastodon 2019 is a very beautiful figure, but I understand that there were other works of dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals of collection and toy like other figures of Doug who could have taken the prize to the best dinosaur .

Also Collecta, Papo, Eofauna, Vitae, Schleich and Favorite to put several examples have made legendary figures who also deserved the award for the best figure. Anyway, I'm happy for the dinosaurs and prehistoric animals (mastodon) qualified as best figures of the year.

postsaurischian

Quote from: SuperiorSpider on April 23, 2019, 07:54:38 PM
I was certain the CollectA Iguanodon was going to landslide win this year. Obviously all modern Safari sculpts are absolutely gorgeous and worthy of winning this category, but the Iguanodon is absolutely perfect in my opinion.

No chance! It's not an American figure ;) .

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: postsaurischian on April 24, 2019, 09:13:40 AM
I was certain the CollectA Iguanodon was going to landslide win this year. Obviously all modern Safari sculpts are absolutely gorgeous and worthy of winning this category, but the Iguanodon is absolutely perfect in my opinion.

Totally agree.

terrorchicken

I agree that malawisaurus is an unexpected winner,  thought Papo's Iguanodon would win.

Weird that BOTM are considered models and not toys.

I went to a Barnes and Noble the other day and was surprised to find a copy of PT on the mag stands, I didn't know they were still making print issues!

ceratopsian

Well the Malawisaurus was a great surprise. But a very pleasant one. I particularly loved this toy when mine arrived. So much better than the photos. And good to have a sauropod taking the limelight, and quite an obscure one too.

Halichoeres

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on April 24, 2019, 11:54:45 AM

Totally agree.

There is a hint of the provincial in the magazine, it's true.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Pachyrhinosaurus

I'm also surprised the malawisaurus won. It isn't a bad figure, but it isn't extraordinary, either. I think I would have chosen the Safari ankylosaurus, myself.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Libraraptor

Shonisaurus

Sincerely I like the iguanodon and was worthy of the prize as so many other figures, but honestly I am glad that it is the Safari malawisaurus is a rare figure in the market of the collection and / or toy dinosaur I understand that it is the only one of its kind for now.

For having the Safari audacity to carve a dinosaur unknown in the world of collecting, I think Safari is the deserved winner.

stegosauria

I think the Malawisaurus deserved that prize. Of course not everybody will like its paintscheme but I really like that. If somebody says it doesn't look natural than we can say that these are its mating colours.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 26, 2019, 03:57:35 PM
Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on April 24, 2019, 11:54:45 AM

Totally agree.

There is a hint of the provincial in the magazine, it's true.

Well.... when I last asked in 2014 PTs circulation was 10,000 and many of those readers are from Europe. All you have to do is read the letters to the editor and in almost every issue I have picked up today there is at least one letter from Europe, Asia, South America or even that strange country shrouded in mystery, Canada. For example this issue has two letters from the US and one from Tailand. So either those non-Americans are voting for Safari Ltd or they don't bother to vote. CollectA won in 2012 and tied with my Sauropelta in 2015. I can only find the winners going back to 2010 so maybe that is when the contest started. And if you think the publisher "cooks the books" I asked him why he didn't break the tie in 2015 and he said he would always leave it to the readers. Actually when it comes to biases I have always felt the online forums have a bias towards European companies. I believe my 2017 T rex is the only Safari figure by me to win on the DTF for figure of the year and I don't think any of my extant figures have even made the list of nominees on the ATF or STS.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: