News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PREHISTORIC PLANET

Started by dragon53, May 08, 2019, 05:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceratopsian

Murphy's Law at work here. I had a year's free subscription with my iPad that ended fairly recently.  I watched only one programme in all that time!  Thanks avatar_Psittacoraptor @Psittacoraptor - you are right.  The subscription per month isn't huge.  I could pay up in the short term and cancel.

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on April 02, 2022, 02:05:05 PM
The CG is phenomenal, it's so well integrated into the live action scenery.

Quote from: Concavenator on April 02, 2022, 12:15:48 PM
Will AppleTV+ be the only platform from which it can be watched? To be honest, I don't know if I have access, probably not, so it's a bummer getting hyped for this when I probably won't be able to watch it.

It's an Apple Original, so most likely yes. Apple funded it, they're not going to put it on competitor platforms. Honestly, they desperately need good original content. I bought a new iPad last year that came with a free one year AppleTV+ subscription. I have not watched one single thing on it, that's how bland and uninteresting their lineup is. With Prehistoric Planet I'll finally have a use for that free subscription. It's only 4.99 a month IIRC, so it's not expensive to subscribe for a month to watch this, and then cancel. You might also be able to get a free trial, I don't know if you need an Apple device for that.

EDIT: Here's the first teaser in HD quality:

It's wonderful to finally see dinosaurs depicted as animals in modern CG, and not as JW movie monsters! And the feathers!

Bread

Hell, I'd pay $100 to watch this!

Looks amazing! Can't wait!

Grimbeard

Beyond existed, finally a potentially worthy successor for the walking with series and the David Attenborough narration is the cherry on top. The designs look amazing, especially these airsacs on the Titanosaurs.

Dinoxels

Quote from: Bread on April 02, 2022, 10:36:07 PM
Hell, I'd pay $100 to watch this!

Looks amazing! Can't wait!
Same lol
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

HD-man

1stly, this Darren Naish quote puts to rest any fears I might've had about a Dinosaur Revolution/WWD 3D-type situation ( https://www.facebook.com/darren.naish.5/posts/5655051024510517 ):
QuoteWe're finally allowed to say a few things about Prehistoric Planet, the new AppleTVPlus series that I and a whole team of others at the BBC Natural History Unit have been putting together over recent years. Yes, it finally is THE Mesozoic-themed documemtary series we've all been waiting for, and it won't disappoint.

2ndly, here's a decent "Trailer Analysis & Discussion":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u3G5g7UT5s&t=320s
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Gwangi

I do wish that this series was picked up by Netflix or Disney+ instead of AppleTV+. I feel like it would have reached a wider audience on those platforms.

Faelrin

That T. rex clip. Omg. This really is it. So glad this releases right before my birthday, and next month as well. Been such a long time coming for a successor to WWD. And of course I can't believe I didn't think to mention this last night, considering what forum we are on, but obligatory wish we had figures of these designs some day.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Dynomikegojira

Quote from: Faelrin on April 03, 2022, 01:07:35 AM
That T. rex clip. Omg. This really is it. So glad this releases right before my birthday, and next month as well. Been such a long time coming for a successor to WWD. And of course I can't believe I didn't think to mention this last night, considering what forum we are on, but obligatory wish we had figures of these designs some day.
I'm sure David Silva could with permission of course

Brocc21

Quote from: Gwangi on April 03, 2022, 01:03:02 AM
I do wish that this series was picked up by Netflix or Disney+ instead of AppleTV+. I feel like it would have reached a wider audience on those platforms.

That's a fear of mine as well. Ill be sure to support this series in any way I can, I'm just afraid it wont get the recognition it deserves.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

HD-man

Quote from: Faelrin on April 03, 2022, 01:07:35 AMThat T. rex clip. Omg. This really is it. So glad this releases right before my birthday, and next month as well. Been such a long time coming for a successor to WWD. And of course I can't believe I didn't think to mention this last night, considering what forum we are on, but obligatory wish we had figures of these designs some day.

I think PP's T. rex speculation is especially interesting: On the 1 hand, I would think bird of prey-type mating/parental behavior would make more sense for a hypercarnivorous predator species like T. rex; On the other hand, 1 could argue that emu/cassowary-type mating/parental behavior would make more sense for a giant ground-running species like T. rex.
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

John

I think the behaviors of the tyrannosaurs seen so far in the previews is reasonable speculation,but the two rows of inflatable air sacs running down the underside of the sauropods' necks are a bit of a stretch.But overall this seems like an interesting show.Hopefully it will be available on Blu Ray for collectors like me.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Duna

Quote from: John on April 03, 2022, 12:52:29 PM
I think the behaviors of the tyrannosaurs seen so far in the previews is reasonable speculation,but the two rows of inflatable air sacs running down the underside of the sauropods' necks are a bit of a stretch.But overall this seems like an interesting show.Hopefully it will be available on Blu Ray for collectors like me.
But that is a very nice speculation. Sauropods had very long necks, they probably had colourful displays and as the air sacs are not only used for breathing in modern dinosaurs (birds), why not?

By the way I LOVE the tyrannosaurus, both of them, but more the adult. He looks perfect and behaving in a normal way, calm, just looking after his chicks.

Bread

Quote from: Faelrin on April 03, 2022, 01:07:35 AM
As soon as I saw the trailer/previews/teasers I immediately remembered we have Rebor's Tyrannosaurus rex "Kiss" coming! Makes me glad to be able to acquire one of the shows highlights even if it does not have similar colorscheme to the show's.

John

Quote from: Duna on April 03, 2022, 01:14:47 PM
Quote from: John on April 03, 2022, 12:52:29 PM
But that is a very nice speculation. Sauropods had very long necks, they probably had colourful displays and as the air sacs are not only used for breathing in modern dinosaurs (birds), why not?

By the way I LOVE the tyrannosaurus, both of them, but more the adult. He looks perfect and behaving in a normal way, calm, just looking after his chicks.
Well I suppose you never can tell what you would find in the living animal that could never be seen from fossils.
And I agree about the Tyrannosaurus.It the best one that I have seen on screen yet.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

bone crusher

Incredibly excited! These scientifically accurate dinosaurs just look so natural and realistic as opposed to movie monsters. I'm so glad modern CGI has advanced so much and is well and truly enough to render those creatures in such a realistic form for a big budget Documentary. The swimming T.rex, the air sacks on the sauropod's neck, the fur animation and rendering, oh my it's really blowing my mind. That adult T.rex has got to be the best looking modern day CG T.rex I've ever seen. And probably for the first time ever they've recognized that an adult T.rex is the most powerful predator on the planet, I guess the recent studies of skeletal restorations and GDI mass calculations of giant theropod dinosaurs have really shed major light on how T.rex specimens like Sue and Scotty are simply on a different level. Can't wait to see David Attenborough's narration!

MLMjp

This looks incredibly promising, I can't wait!

The adult and young Tyrannosaurus in the preview are basically perfection.

Reuben03

with the way the animals move coming nowhere near to the realistic level of WWD and without benjamin bartlett (sorry hans zimmer)
i would not call this the next WWD,

BUT DAMN IT LOOKS AMAZING AND I CAN'T WAIT. IT'S GONNA BE SO SO SO GOOD

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

JPuggy

Does anyone know if episodes will come weekly or all at once? I have a free trial and I don't want to waste it.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: JPuggy on April 04, 2022, 03:36:54 PM
Does anyone know if episodes will come weekly or all at once? I have a free trial and I don't want to waste it.
They come out over the course of 5 days
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

paintingdinos

Quote from: Reuben03 on April 04, 2022, 09:11:02 AM
with the way the animals move coming nowhere near to the realistic level of WWD and without benjamin bartlett (sorry hans zimmer)
i would not call this the next WWD,

BUT DAMN IT LOOKS AMAZING AND I CAN'T WAIT. IT'S GONNA BE SO SO SO GOOD

This looks like its going to be beautiful and if I can find a way to watch it, I will... but I agree with the above sentiment.

This opinion based solely on the T.Rex promo, but to me their movement feels exaggerated for the sake telling a narrative in the vein of "Dinotasia". And there's nothing wrong with that, I enjoyed Dinotasia and there's nothing wrong with injecting a little narrative, but on a completely nagging note I personally dislike the trope of a parent animal gently nudging a reluctant infant to be more confident.

Maybe it happens sometimes, maybe it happened all the time with dinosaurs, but any time I've ever seen a juvenile animal be overly clingy they get told off pretty quick by mom or dad. Granted my experience is mostly with domestic animals so maybe I'm being too critical here, but boy do filmmakers love this trope. Maybe showing dad snap at and tell off the youngster is too harsh for the target audience.

"Its just one scene in a larger series" I tell myself.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: