News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

JP gets a re-release... in 3D!

Started by Roselaar, March 16, 2012, 08:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roselaar

Yup, you read it right:

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/122/1220921p1.html

Good to see Universal acknowledging its 20th anniversary. I would have preferred it in 2D, but I'll take it as is.  ;D

Thundercharge

Click sig for my collection! :)

Roselaar

I think most people will remember the movie is 20 years old, Takama. I don't remember people thinking lions could talk or Star Wars was still cool after those other 3D re-releases of late...

Gwangi

Quote from: Takama on March 16, 2012, 08:54:50 PM
great, here's to another generation of ill "Dino educated" kids thinking that a scaly raptor is accurate  ::)  and companeys following that.

Show some respect. Jurassic Park was the movie that re-popularized dinosaurs in the 90's and brought the Dinosaur Renaissance to the attention of the public. For it's day (and to this day) no other movie has more accurately portrayed dinosaurs. Movies like Jurassic Park, inaccurate as they may be are what gets kids interested in dinosaurs in the first place and encourages them to seek out addition information.

Takama

Quote from: Gwangi on March 16, 2012, 09:07:35 PM
Quote from: Takama on March 16, 2012, 08:54:50 PM
great, here's to another generation of ill "Dino educated" kids thinking that a scaly raptor is accurate  ::)  and companeys following that.

Show some respect. Jurassic Park was the movie that re-popularized dinosaurs in the 90's and brought the Dinosaur Renaissance to the attention of the public. For it's day (and to this day) no other movie has more accurately portrayed dinosaurs. Movies like Jurassic Park, inaccurate as they may be are what gets kids interested in dinosaurs in the first place and encourages them to seek out addition information.

true, sorry about that post :-[

Horridus

Show some respect.
Hey Gwangi, if you wanted to scare the kid you could've pulled a gun on him...

It speaks volumes about what a groundbreaking movie JP was, and how convincing the creatures were, that people still seem to see them as 'real' dinosaurs. I do wish that toy companies wouldn't pander to people's desires to see JP-ish creatures though...unless it's Papo :P
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

CityRaptor

I wouldn't mind some more Jurassic Park Dinosaurs from Papo...but other companies really should do something more realistic.

Well, Jurassic Park, while having mistakes, lots of mistakes ( how come everyone always talks about the Raptors, but nobody mentions the Dilophosaurus ? )  indeed did help to make the Dinosaur Renaissance more public. Just look at most films made before it, even in the early 90s: Not much of a Dinosaur Renaissance to see there.

I think that in order to modernize the public view on Dinosaurs, another big Dinosaur Movie would need to be made.  Maybe Jurassic Park 4.

And hey, maybe JP 3D could bring us some nice new JP Toys, even a release of those prototypes...
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Gwangi

Quote from: Horridus on March 16, 2012, 10:06:09 PM
Show some respect.

Ya. I know.

Honestly Takama I didn't mean any harm by it, I am obviously just a really big fan of the movie. It was all meant to be lighthearted.

Takama

I'm a fan of the film too,     

Roselaar

Quote from: Takama on March 17, 2012, 01:06:51 AM
I'm a fan of the film too,   

I couldn't tell from that first post of yours.  :D

Blade-of-the-Moon

I hope they release it in 3D and 2D. I can watch it in the one format just like in 93' when I was waiting in line on opening day to get in...;D Then turn around and see it in 3D..either way JP on the big screen is a must. I wish there was an IMAX within driving distance !

It would also be really cool in JP3D was the opening salvo to JP4. ;D

Gwangi

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 17, 2012, 05:46:14 PM
It would also be really cool in JP3D was the opening salvo to JP4. ;D

That thought occurred to me as well.

Patrx

Quote from: Horridus on March 16, 2012, 10:06:09 PM
Show some respect.
If this were Facebook, I would have clicked "like" on this exchange.

Anyway, this is marvelous news! I was five years old when JP hit theatres, and my parents thought it would scare me, so I missed my opportunity to see it properly. Nonetheless, due to an interest in both visual effects and dinosaurs, it has become my favorite movie.
Funny thing about JP's raptors- they were actually extremely "accurate" for the time, even unconventionally so, except the cooler name and moderate size increase.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Your post made me recall something.. I was about  11 at the time and I remember some reviewer had wrote in an article how awful a film it was for children.  I couldn't really see why..there were at least 20 more kids of different ages in that theater with me ( we were all pretty much spellbound ) and the only person that screamed was a woman sitting near me and my aunt.. heh

Patrx

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 18, 2012, 05:50:19 PM
Your post made me recall something.. I was about  11 at the time and I remember some reviewer had wrote in an article how awful a film it was for children.  I couldn't really see why..there were at least 20 more kids of different ages in that theater with me ( we were all pretty much spellbound ) and the only person that screamed was a woman sitting near me and my aunt.. heh
Indeed, my parents probably would've let me see the movie if they had known that I would proceed to watch the VHS cassette so frequently as to wear the tape out. Really, it's an excellent kids' movie in most respects, what with all the grandeur and Spielbergian family values.
Then again, while I've never found dinosaurs frightening, I do recall that the "bloody waterfall" effect in the second movie bothered my kid sister considerably.

Gwangi

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on March 18, 2012, 05:50:19 PM

My mom must have read the same review because she was very hesitant about letting me see it. She said she had read a review saying it was too scary for children. My father on the other hand told me I wouldn't like it because there weren't very many parts with dinosaurs and most of the dinosaurs featured I hadn't heard of. Ultimately I got to go see it and then saw it two more times. The only part that frightened me a little was the Dilophosaurus scene but it wasn't anything I couldn't handle.

CityRaptor

Reminds me of myself. I was 9 ( later 10 ) when Jurassic Park was shown in theatres. A lot German Newspapers wrote about how unsuited the movie was for children. There were even some claiming it to be FSK 16!
There were all kinds of horror stories being told, like whole classes having to puke etc...and also calling it scarier than King Kong ( which I didnt consider scary at all even back then )
Also, later the juvenile T-Rex was shown in an article about "horror toys"...

So yeah, I missed it in theater. But I brought it on VHS once it came out.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Blade-of-the-Moon

I loved it and wanted to go back..lol  I believe I ended up seeing it around 6 times in the theater and drive-in... just awesome. I think we'll all have some reason to go see it.. ;D

Seijun

I only saw JP1 on VHS, but afterwards I spent several weeks running around the house pretending to be a raptor. I would love to have seen the first one in theaters. Its still my favorite movie of the three.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Gwangi

Quote from: Seijun on March 19, 2012, 01:52:29 AM
I only saw JP1 on VHS, but afterwards I spent several weeks running around the house pretending to be a raptor. I would love to have seen the first one in theaters. Its still my favorite movie of the three.

Well...it looks like you'll get the change. I can't wait to see it for a fourth time, an entire 20 years since I first saw it. I'm gonna be oozing with nostalgia on that day.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: