News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo 2020

Started by Renecito, November 28, 2019, 05:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Duna on January 25, 2020, 06:29:49 PM
I recently got the ceratosaurus (I only get one figure per species and I chose this one over others because of the size and detail) and it's a very good figure, small and well sculpted, quite beefy arms, and even isn't a tripod, it stands perfectly on one foot and the nails of the other. If you like you can put the arm in hot water and fix it like the other. Same about acrocanthosaurus, another good figure, in spite its minor flaws, I think is one of Papo's best figures along with the Therizinosaurus, Pentaceratops and Spinosaurus.

Chilesaurus has a magnific sculpt (something rare on the top of the head because of the seam), love the colors and the size (Papo's small figures are as detailed as bigger ones) but I have already said everything about the pose.

I like the cerato a lot and currently its the one I would go for, I'm just giving a little more thought. Acro's sculpt is great but I have a problem with those back-lowered tail- raised poses, I just dont like them, that's why I haven't gotten it. Cerato's pose is better because is almost horizontal, the arm is just positioned in a "just in case it loses balance" way that doesnt make it look as awkward as this Chilesaurus for example.

SidB

Quote from: Jose S.M. on January 25, 2020, 07:15:43 PM
Quote from: Duna on January 25, 2020, 06:29:49 PM
I recently got the ceratosaurus (I only get one figure per species and I chose this one over others because of the size and detail) and it's a very good figure, small and well sculpted, quite beefy arms, and even isn't a tripod, it stands perfectly on one foot and the nails of the other. If you like you can put the arm in hot water and fix it like the other. Same about acrocanthosaurus, another good figure, in spite its minor flaws, I think is one of Papo's best figures along with the Therizinosaurus, Pentaceratops and Spinosaurus.

Chilesaurus has a magnific sculpt (something rare on the top of the head because of the seam), love the colors and the size (Papo's small figures are as detailed as bigger ones) but I have already said everything about the pose.

I like the cerato a lot and currently its the one I would go for, I'm just giving a little more thought. Acro's sculpt is great but I have a problem with those back-lowered tail- raised poses, I just dont like them, that's why I haven't gotten it. Cerato's pose is better because is almost horizontal, the arm is just positioned in a "just in case it loses balance" way that doesnt make it look as awkward as this Chilesaurus for example.
Part of this problem for me is the excessive number in the same pose. For myself, I've resolved to limit the number to make the pose not only palatable, but even quite acceptable. That's my approach with the Acro, which I both own and highly appreciate.

oscars_dinos

I think this pose and this figure in general is worse than the giga

Cretaceous Crab

Everything looks proportionate to me regarding the Chilesaurus, comparing it to skeletals. Honestly, its probably the only 2020 figure I'd consider getting from Papo.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Cretaceous Crab on January 26, 2020, 01:09:17 PM
Everything looks proportionate to me regarding the Chilesaurus, comparing it to skeletals. Honestly, its probably the only 2020 figure I'd consider getting from Papo.

The arm just looks way too off on the figure, like the wrist and everything

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Cretaceous Crab on January 26, 2020, 01:09:17 PM

Honestly, Papo's chilesaurus coincides a lot with the paleoartistic representations, another aspect is its position. I honestly want to buy that figure, I really like it and I totally agree with you.

Shonisaurus

I pass the facebook images of everythingddinosaurus of giganotosaurus, chilesaurus and megaloceros of Papo.

https://es-es.facebook.com/EverythingDinosaur/photos/pb.154141751286381.-2207520000../2920572427976619/?type=3&theater

Honestly, Papo's giganotosaurus has me increasingly disillusioned, it is a dinosaur with little grace and it is not what we expected from Papo 2020.

Papo chilesaurus despite his posture I still like this figure.

Regarding Papo's megaloceros, it seems to me a majestic figure and is the strong figure of the group, although it is true and true that both chilesaurus and megaloceros are seen in the background and very blurred. On the other hand, Papo's stygimoloch does not appear among the figures and the same can be said of the repainted parasaurolophus, the repainted feathered velociraptor can be seen as foreshortening.

tanystropheus

Everything Dinosaur released another picture of the Papo Giga on Instagram. It's worth checking out!

Edit- Okay, I found it on FB (it looks so hilarious from this angle!)

https://es-es.facebook.com/EverythingDinosaur/photos/a.186426991391190/2920572131309982/?type=3&theater

Dinoxels

The head looks a lot better, wasn't really keen on the eye placement. Though in these pictures it does look better. Also is it just me or is line on the underside of the body tend to curve around a bit too much.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Flaffy

What a waste of a perfectly fine Papo head sculpt.
That neck is really cursed. Looks like it got snapped in half. Anatomy was clearly thrown out the window for this sculpt.

The chilesaurus looks awkward as ever, though I'm still on the fence on whether or not I want it.
The megaloceros is surprisingly big. Not a figure I'm interested in, but it's definitely the best megaloceros widely available on market.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I wonder if the artist just got fed up with trying to make the figure stand and maybe his bosses requirements and just threw it together? Kinda feels like a "There! Take that! " move. lol

tanystropheus

Quote from: Flaffy on February 04, 2020, 02:37:05 AM
What a waste of a perfectly fine Papo head sculpt.
That neck is really cursed. Looks like it got snapped in half. Anatomy was clearly thrown out the window for this sculpt.

The chilesaurus looks awkward as ever, though I'm still on the fence on whether or not I want it.
The megaloceros is surprisingly big. Not a figure I'm interested in, but it's definitely the best megaloceros widely available on market.

The head and corresponding wrinkles look almost identical to modern reptiles such as Tegu lizard and Savannah monitor but it is oversized relative to the body.

Also, I don't feel that the Chilesaurus posture is impossible for the animal. It almost looks like it got terrified and is trying to scramble about

PhilSauria

Yeah that Giganotosaurus is a helluva wasted opportunity by Papo.

The only one of this bunch that I'll probably get is the Megaloceros, being partial to the odd prehistoric mammal figure or two.

SidB

I'm sure glad that one, at least, will join my collection this year, and it's not a dinosaur.

Faelrin

It looks like they got the skull right, but that hardly matters when the rest of it is so disproportionate. Once again I'm pretty much settled on getting Eofauna's gorgeous one eventually.

Anyways I am glad to see the Megaloceros seems to be decently sized. It's truly the only one I plan to get from their lineup so far though I don't hate the Chilesaurus despite the inaccurate posture. Then again I've also been wanting and waiting for someone to produce a Megaloceros since Bullyland's had been retired for some time now.

I guess it is also safe to say there are no exclusives this year?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

ITdactyl

Oh, so that's why Giggle's is in that pose... it's reacting to the Chilesaurus. ;D

Shonisaurus

What makes me happy is that I will finally have a megaloceros with a reasonable size. Bullyland's is very pretty but its size I think is much smaller than this beautiful figure of Papo.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Sad. The Details and the Paintjob on the Giga are, again,  really good for a Toy. What a Disappointment. Claws. Teeth and Skin look really good.

On the other Hand, if someone has a couple of Retrosaur, this Giga fits perfectly. A modern Sculpt in a Retropose. Could be interesting for a few People.

Sarapaurolophus

I am not really bothered by the pose. It's perfectly in line with what Papo usually does with their dinosaurs; dynamic/fighting poses with a bunch of crushed tails and everybody's skin looks like a crocodile's ;)

I am currently reworking their Parasaurolophus a bit and while that's an older sculpt, at that time they could have already known better. They still made it a tripod with a crushed tail. I guess their infatuation with JP/JW plus kids reacting better to active poses is what determines these decisions.

While I realize the Giga is not for everyone, I think it's oddly funny. And I gotta agree, the head sculpt is really beautiful.

Quote from: ITdactyl on February 04, 2020, 08:33:31 AM
Oh, so that's why Giggle's is in that pose... it's reacting to the Chilesaurus. ;D

Finally we know! ;D And gotta love that name. I'll call it Giggles from now on because it makes me grin when I look at it.

Shonisaurus

Papo's stygimoloch is visible on facebook from everythingdinosaur:

https://es-es.facebook.com/EverythingDinosaur/photos/pb.154141751286381.-2207520000../2921889371178258/?type=3&theater

It is perhaps Papo's best dinosaur figure ... although I still like chilesaurus a lot and I know it's a very unpopular opinion.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: