News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo 2020

Started by Renecito, November 28, 2019, 05:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Sarapaurolophus on April 26, 2020, 07:38:50 PM
Quote from: Takama on April 25, 2020, 06:32:15 PM
I actaully do not mind the Repaints that Papo does to there models

I don't mind them, either. I just used the Parasaurolophus as an example to illustrate Papos willingness to keep inaccurate/outdated figures in their line-ups.
I really like the new tiger stripes Parasauro, actually. I repainted my old one.

Quote from: japfeif on April 25, 2020, 07:28:56 PM
I personally do not "get" the mystique and aura around Giganotosaurus (which Papo absolutely dropped the ball with). Every year it manages to pop up on someone's "oh please God have Papo come out with a Giganotosaurus this time around, I'll die a happy man..." wish list. I mean, it's basically just another big bipedal theropod. You never hear that sort of demand for Albertosaurus, Gorgosaurus (yes Papo did one, but I never heard all the fervor for one before it came out),  Carcharodontosaurus, Mapusaurus, Tyrannotitan, etc....it's always been the Giga. Nothing wrong with that, just an observation..but I digress! But I seriously wonder if there's have been this much outrage if it had been a different dinosaur....(but then again, maybe that's precisely why there's so much noise about it, because it WAS on so many folks' Wish Lists and when it finally arrived, was a bit like getting a kick in the gonads...)

One of my friends guessed it got so popular because of the Ark games. I wouldn't know about that because I don't play or follow those :)

In any case, I hope Papo will make the next fan fave better looking so the disappointment won't be so great.

When they did that monstrous archaeopteryx or that corpse-looking Amargasaurus I wasn't exactly thrilled, either. So at least now a few theropod fans know my "pain" :P
I believe the Giganotosaurus has this so called "aura of Mystique" or something like that because its really big, bigger than Kng dinosaur himself(yeah i know theres a whole controversy about whos bigger, but thats a different story.

KeU

Quote from: Stegotyranno on April 26, 2020, 08:36:24 PM
I believe the Giganotosaurus has this so called "aura of Mystique" or something like that because its really big, bigger than Kng dinosaur himself(yeah i know theres a whole controversy about whos bigger, but thats a different story.
Giganotosaurus has always been fringing on the edge of superstar status.
Especially with Papo, since the more popular Tyrannosaurus and Spinosaurus are done, I think it is naturally to start requesting for the next in line, which is the Giganotosaurus.

Extra large theropods with big mouth and big teeth are always going to be popular and sell more toys, hence every single company pumps out these feature creatures as often as possible.

As far as why Giganotosaurus gain stardom instead of say Tarbosaurus or Saurophaganax is probably because of all the hype than it is larger than Tyrannosaurus. Even now, I still see folks use that when they talk about Giganotosaurus. One can argue why not Carcharodontosaurus, since it is pretty much the same size and discovered earlier.
I'm going to point to Dino Crisis 2 for that. I believe that is where a lot of the millennials come to know of Giganotosaurus and its infamous ability to match up against a Tyrannosaurus.
Those were exciting times for young me. I remember National Geographic did a piece on Giganotosaurus in the 90s (1997 I think?) as well. Megaraptor was mentioned as well, back when we thought that it was a Dromaeosaur.
I still have the hard copy somewhere in my parent's house, along with another issue on Carcharodontosaurus.

Even though Giganotosaurus is my favorite Dinosaur, I am suffering from Giga fatigue already. An Ornithopod figure will be nice about now.

Lu_Yuping

Quote from: Sarapaurolophus on April 25, 2020, 11:27:49 AM
Quote from: suspsy on April 24, 2020, 03:33:35 PM
The difference being that the Parasaurolophus came out all the way back in 2005. One would certainly think that, after 15 years, Papo would have left such glaring mistakes far behind them for good.

That is exactly why I think the old Parasaurolophus model should have gotten retired or retooled instead of getting a repaint. Repaints are continuations, therefore I have to assume Papo is content with how the Parasauro looks. They are happy doing their poses the way they did them 15 years ago. So once again I have to wonder why the Giga is the straw that broke the camel's back. I have to assume because it is a fan fave for some reason since the other weirdly posed models don't get half the outrage ???
Haven't seen any petitions for the Chilesaurus or Parasaurolophus to get retooled.

I don't mean to start an argument, btw. I just want to understand why the Giga is a special case.

Because it's the most ridiculous looking out of them all. It looks like it's riding a horse.

Sarapaurolophus

Shonisaurus

Regardless of how much Papo would have liked to have made a giganotosaurus with a better pose and sculptural form, the same can be said of the archeopteryx, smilodon (mane and maneless) and the two prehistoric marine animals (plesiosaurus and tylosaurus), including the amargasaurus by put several examples. I would like all the Papo figures without exception to be as bright as their stygimoloch, spinosaurus Papo 2019, tyrannosaurus running, quetzalcoatlus or megaloceros to give several examples. However, it is not only because in my case the giganotosaurus was a cult dinosaur behind the tyrannosaurus and spinosaurus in relation to theropods, I expected something exceptional from that figure, but I share the same pain for the other Papo figures that I have named that without being bad figures they could have been improved.

Halichoeres

Yeah, a dinosaur can get a lot of mileage out of being the BIGGEST or MEANEST or some other superlative, among people who are compensating for something. And the fact that the sculptor hinted he was working on one years ago led to a few successive seasons where people thought this must be the moment. The deflation of that bubble is one of the funniest things I've seen.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 28, 2020, 01:50:47 PM
Yeah, a dinosaur can get a lot of mileage out of being the BIGGEST or MEANEST or some other superlative, among people who are compensating for something. And the fact that the sculptor hinted he was working on one years ago led to a few successive seasons where people thought this must be the moment. The deflation of that bubble is one of the funniest things I've seen.
😂 yeah, that was funny!😂

suspsy

It's a good thing we have Eofauna, PNSO, and Safari Ltd. And it's just a matter of time until CollectA produces a Giganotosaurus of their own. And it will surely not be sculpted like the Papo one.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

japfeif

Quote from: Loon on April 25, 2020, 08:42:33 PM
Quote from: japfeif on April 25, 2020, 07:28:56 PM
Although folks CAN go a bit crazy with that (some folks will complain if the neck of a new figure is an inch and a half longer from what the fossil record says it should be)

An inch and a half can make a pretty big difference depending on the scale of the animal. If that's a 1:40 scale figure, that's adding an extra 5 feet to the neck. But, I guess that's a "crazy" thing to complain about.

Haha...I guess didn't feel the need to mention that I was talking about in scale....not literally the figure's neck being an inch & a half longer. Yes, an 8-inch Brachiosaurus with an inch & a half inch longer neck would convert to many feet when put to the scale of the animal. I meant that if the figure was sculpted so that in the LIVING animal at it's actual size it would covert to an inch & a half difference. I thought that was understood but I guess I probably needed to clafify that point in my post. My bad on that.
Sor-ree.

Shonisaurus

I expect a giganotosaurus from Collecta, Rebor and even from Nanmu Studio that will make us forget that Papo theropod, meticulously sculpted but with an unfortunately quite rare pose and a theropod that doesn't exactly convince me much.

Sarapaurolophus

Yeah, a dinosaur can get a lot of mileage out of being the BIGGEST or MEANEST or some other superlative, among people who are compensating for something.

This gave me a chuckle. Giganoto, the Porsche of dinosaurs ;)

Halichoeres

Quote from: Sarapaurolophus on April 29, 2020, 02:52:14 PM
Yeah, a dinosaur can get a lot of mileage out of being the BIGGEST or MEANEST or some other superlative, among people who are compensating for something.

In this analogy, Ty***nosaurus is a Hummer H2 and megalodon is a Tesla Cybertruck.  ;D
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

suspsy

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 01, 2020, 01:50:34 PM

In this analogy, Ty***nosaurus is a Hummer H2 and megalodon is a Tesla Cybertruck.  ;D

Nah, Megalodon is an Avtoros Shaman.

Halichoeres

Quote from: suspsy on May 01, 2020, 01:54:30 PM

Ha ha ha, wow, I was not aware of this particular vehicle. It definitely looks like the car that toxic masculinity built.

stargatedalek

Looks like you'd need to fill its tank with monster energy drink.

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: KeU on April 26, 2020, 10:21:14 PM
Quote from: Stegotyranno on April 26, 2020, 08:36:24 PM
Giganotosaurus has always been fringing on the edge of superstar status.
Especially with Papo, since the more popular Tyrannosaurus and Spinosaurus are done, I think it is naturally to start requesting for the next in line, which is the Giganotosaurus.

Extra large theropods with big mouth and big teeth are always going to be popular and sell more toys, hence every single company pumps out these feature creatures as often as possible.

As far as why Giganotosaurus gain stardom instead of say Tarbosaurus or Saurophaganax is probably because of all the hype than it is larger than Tyrannosaurus. Even now, I still see folks use that when they talk about Giganotosaurus. One can argue why not Carcharodontosaurus, since it is pretty much the same size and discovered earlier.
I'm going to point to Dino Crisis 2 for that. I believe that is where a lot of the millennials come to know of Giganotosaurus and its infamous ability to match up against a Tyrannosaurus.
Those were exciting times for young me. I remember National Geographic did a piece on Giganotosaurus in the 90s (1997 I think?) as well. Megaraptor was mentioned as well, back when we thought that it was a Dromaeosaur.
I still have the hard copy somewhere in my parent's house, along with another issue on Carcharodontosaurus.

Even though Giganotosaurus is my favorite Dinosaur, I am suffering from Giga fatigue already. An Ornithopod figure will be nice about now.

This sums it up. It's not a mystery why Giganotosaurus is becoming a very popular dinosaur.

Dino Crisis 2 had a match up with an oversized Giga killing a T rex.

Ark has the same oversized Giga that is the ultimate threat in the wild.

Even after the recent corrections Giganotosaurus is still widely believed to be the biggest theropod next to T Rex it's just natural for anyone to ask for it than a Carcha despite the latter being discovered earlier. These last 3 years have seen an explosion of Giganotosaurus models and resin kits I wish the same could be said about the Carcha but all the attention and hype was around the Giga back then when it was thought to dethrone the T Rex lol

suspsy

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 02, 2020, 10:07:05 PM
Quote from: suspsy on May 01, 2020, 01:54:30 PM

Ha ha ha, wow, I was not aware of this particular vehicle. It definitely looks like the car that toxic masculinity built.

Yeah, I saw it on an episode of Top Gear. Ridiculous. Seats eight, can go off road and through water, has a top speed of 70 km/h, and guzzles diesel fuel the same way Andre the Giant guzzled wine and beer.

And as you can see from the second link, it's not the unstoppable badass its makers want you to think it is!

https://youtu.be/qTfS_IF_oPc

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/top-gear-hit-more-trouble-9118721.amp

Over9K

Pish... it's like nobody in here has seen Damnation Alley...

Landmaster people, LANDMASTER.

postsaurischian

If there's anything more boring than the Papo Giganoto discussion than it's cars ::) :P .
I'm finally done with this thread.

suspsy

Quote from: Over9K on May 03, 2020, 06:23:27 AM
Pish... it's like nobody in here has seen Damnation Alley...

Landmaster people, LANDMASTER.

Mosasaurus can be that one.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: