News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What is the most accurate Spinosaurus model on the market?

Started by Faelrin, December 01, 2019, 02:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

Edit 04/29/20: Well it looks like most of these have now been left behind in some regard to the new science on the tail: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=8631.0

Edit 05/01/20: I have decided to remove my previous remarks regarding the 2019 Papo Spinosaurus, as it was made rather early on in my excitement of this discovery, and may have been misleading, despite the inclusion of a disclaimer that it does get features incorrectly.

I have also decided to add a color coded system, and formatted things into a bullet styled list to be easier to read. Blue is for those features that are accurate to the current published findings in either 2014 or 2020 (if not earlier). Purple is for features that come close, or are debatable. Red is for features that do not reflect the current material published in 2014 or 2020. I've also decided to clean up this page.

Here is the overview of available options (from least amount of issues, to most amount of issues):

Safari Ltd's 2019 figure:

-Only $24.99.
-In 1/35 scale?
-Moderate crocodilian texturing (the sculptor Doug Watson, gives some reasoning behind why, in this post in the Safari Ltd 2020 thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=8201.msg246993#msg246993 ).
-No shrinkwrapping seems to be present and seems to have the correct proportions as of the 2014 reconstruction.
-Depicted in a swimming pose which reflects both the published materials in 2014, and as of April 2020.
-Does have weight bearing first digits on the feet, and has webbing along the toes, along with featuring flattened claws along the feet, which the 2014 paper covered.

-Seem to have the over sized claw on the first digits of the hands, although blunted due to children's safety.

CollectA (Standard) Swimming:

-Retired.
-Large amount of croodilian texturing.
-Seems to have the correct proportions as of the 2014 reconstruction.
-Depicted in a swimming pose which reflects both the published materials in 2014, and as of April 2020.
-Seems to have the oversized claw on the first digits on the hands.
-Seems to not have weight bearing first digits on the feet, which the 2014 paper covered, although the feet are webbed.
-Slightly shrinkwrapped.

Favorite (swimming):

-No or minimal crocodilian texturing.
-Slightly shrinkwrapped.
-Does seem to have webbing on the toes, if minimal?
-Maybe has the weight bearing first digits on feet to some extant?

Kaiyodo (Expo 2016 figure):

-Seems to have no crocodilian texturing.
-Seems to have the oversized claw on the first digit of the hands.
-Seems to have weight bearing first digits on the feet(?), which the 2014 paper covered, and the feet are webbed.
-Legs seem too large to match up with the 2014 reconstruction, although the rest of the proportions come close. The shape of the sail also seems a little off however.

PNSO:

-Comes with a base and fish prey item.
-Has an articulated jaw.
-In 1/35 scale?
-Minimal crocodilian texturing.
-Features the oversized claws on the first digits on the hands.
-Does have weight bearing first digits on the feet, and has webbing along the toes, which the 2014 paper covered.
-In a semi bipedal standing pose, posed as if standing above its fish prey.
-Legs seem far too large to match up with the 2014 reconstruction, although the rest of the proportions come close.

-Shrinkwrapped pretty heavily.

CollectA (Standard) Walking:

-Seems to not have weight bearing first digits on the feet, which the 2014 paper covered, although the feet are webbed.
-Slightly shrinkwrapped.
-While the 2014 paper suggested and supported a quadrupedal posture (which would include the claw dragging posture this figure is in), the April 2020 paper refutes that, as the new material provides support for a bipedal posture.

CollectA (Deluxe) Walking:

-Slightly shrinkwrapped.

-While the 2014 paper suggested and supported a quadrupedal posture (which would include the claw dragging posture this figure is in), the April 2020 paper refutes that, as the new material provides support for a bipedal posture.

Takara Tomy Ania:

-Features multiple points of articulation, including the jaw and tail.
-Doesn't seem to have crocodilian texturing.
-Slightly shrinkwrapped along the head, if not elsewhere.
-The proportions of the legs and arms seem larger then they should be.
-While the 2014 paper suggested and supported a quadrupedal posture (which would include the claw dragging posture this toy is in), the April 2020 paper refutes that, as the new material provides support for a bipedal posture.

Favorite (quadruped vinyl):

-Doesn't seem to have crocodilian texturing.
-Slightly shrinkwrapped along the head, if not elsewhere.
-The proportions of the legs and arms seem larger then they should be.
-While the 2014 paper suggested and supported a quadrupedal posture (which would include the claw dragging posture this toy is in), the April 2020 paper refutes that, as the new material provides support for a bipedal posture.

Papo's 2019 figure:

-Approx. $59.99.
-Limited Edition Figure, which in turn means limited production/stock.
-Worth mentioning that there was a degrade in paint app from the prototype(?). which may or may not be off putting for some (mostly on the sail).
-Has an articulated jaw.
-Is 1/35 scale?
-Minimal crocodilian texturing (back and belly only).
-Does seem to have the oversized claw on the first digits of the hands.
-Seems to have the correct proportions as of the 2014 reconstruction (minus the teeth as stated below).
-Shrinkwrapping on the head, and oversized fang like teeth.
-The figure is depicted in a wading pose (as per the information on the package, and what the sculpt itself depicts, however it leans heavily towards the now outdated quadrupedal posture (which would include the claw dragging posture this figure is in), and although the 2014 paper suggested and supported that, the April 2020 paper refutes that, as the new material provides support for a bipedal posture.
-The tail sports an eel like appendage along it, and while the newly published material in April 2020 provides support for the tail having a fin like structure, the particular anatomy sculpted on this figure does not reflect the published material from either 2014, or now.

Schleich's 2019 figure:

-Approximately $19.99.
-Has an articulated jaw.
-Some crocodilian texturing (back, belly, and tail).
-In a standing bipedal pose, only resting on the tips of its claws to support the figure to stand. The April 2020 paper supports a bipedal posture for Spinosaurus, and this figure is not far off the mark in regards to that, although the real animal likely wouldn't have used its claws as this figure does for balance.
-Some shrinkwrapping along the head.
-Might not have the oversized claws on the first digits of the hands? Though if present it might have been blunted for children's safety.

-The first digit on the feet is depicted as in a more traditional theropod manner, rather then being enlarged and weight bearing, and it additionally also lacks webbing on the feet which the 2014 published paper covered.

Rebor's Grab N Go figure (any coloration):

-Unreleased as of yet
-Will have four color variations.
-Is intended to be in 1:35 scale.
-Minimal crocodilian texturing (along the back and neck only).
-No shrinkwrapping seems to be present and seems to have the correct proportions as of the 2014 reconstruction.
-Might have the oversized claws on the first digits of the hands?
-Might have webbing between the toes?
-The first digit on the feet are depicted as in a more traditional theropod manner, rather then being enlarged and weight bearing, which the 2014 paper covered.

Kanna Dinosaur Center's figure:

-Does not seem to have any crocodilian like texturing.
-More images here: https://www.facebook.com/pg/Kanna-Dinosaur-Center-Original-Dinosaur-Models-135703116793418/photos/?tab=album&album_id=326869031010158&ref=page_internal
-Maybe minor shrinkwrapping.
-The figure leans towards being in the quadrupedal posture, which while the 2014 paper suggested and supported it, the April 2020 paper refutes that, as the new material provides support for a bipedal posture. Additionally one of the wrists is pronated.
-The first digit on the feet is depicted as in a more traditional theropod manner, rather then being enlarged and weight bearing, and it additionally also lacks webbing on the feet which the 2014 published paper covered.

The original post's main question, etc, before it became what it is now:
Spoiler
I recently did an overview of the options from the major companies (CollectA, Favorite, Papo, PNSO, Rebor, Safari Ltd, Schleich) we have up to now in the REBOR general discussion thread (here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3099.msg244051#msg244051 ), after seeing their new Grab N Go Spinosaurus models.

As I don't have any of these and was going off images (edit: and video reviews) on the net, I could be off about some of these (please correct me if need be). Anyways, what might be the most accurate of these (and possibly other models I'm not aware of)? I'm certainly leaning towards the Rebor one, once it is released anyways, but I'd like feedback. Edit: Additionally, I'd like to think that those incorporating the crocodilian texturing and knuckle dragging posture would be leaning towards being less accurate reconstructions, but since this is such a debated issue, due to the spotty remains, and lack of any evidence for integument currently, perhaps it can be forgiven? At the very least I'm aware their were some tracks discovered that was made by a spinosaurid that did seem to have webbed toes, and due to Spinosaurus own likely aquatic lifestyle, webbed toes probably wouldn't be too out of the question, and would probably be preferable to have.

Edit: Also I apologize if a specific thread like this has been done before. I used the search function and didn't see anything recent.

Edit 2: Added the Kanna and Takara Tomy Ania figures to the list.

Edit 3: Clarified that the first digits on the toes are meant to be weight bearing, not necessarily just larger, and corrected some information about the Papo Spinosaurus.
[close]
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Loon

I'm no expert on the subject, but my gut feeling is the Safari is the most accurate, but still not 100%. As pointed out, the crocodilian skin covering is still present. I would have said something similar about the Rebor, but from what I understand, the knuckle dragging hands are inaccurate.

Faelrin

avatar_Loon @Loon I just did a quick edit, mentioning that issue, myself leaning towards the knuckle dragging being a less accurate way to reconstruct this animal.

I wonder if I should perhaps create points increased for having features represented correctly, and points decreased for features represented incorrectly?

Loon

Bokisaurus

You missed the ANIA Spinosaurus, also in a walking pose.

CollectA's Spinosaurus are not knuckle dragging, it's hands are oriented palm down ( it may be the only one in this orientation, I could be wrong)
The two that shows the knuckle pose are the Favorite and the ANIA figures.
As far as I know, these figures are the only ones that really tried to address how Spinosaurus May have used its hands- the others completely( safely) avoided addressing the whole hand thing by choosing a swimming pose or by having the arms/hands completely off the ground with the exception of the claws for stability.
😃

I just remembered there is also the Kanna figure, also on a walking pose.
I don't have the figure, but I think it is also has its hands palm down like the CollectA  figures, but I'm not sure.

Faelrin

B @Bokisaurus Thanks for the correction there. I'll fix that. However I do wonder if it could have bent its wrists like that? I'll add in the Ania and Kanna versions to the list too. Thanks for the info on them.

Also I've been doing some more research on the figures (and Spinosaurus itself) and it seems like Spinosaurus has a larger first toe then other theropods that perhaps it would have stood on? Honestly I was previously unaware of this detail, but I suppose if Spinosaurus did have a larger first toe, then figures that include that feature would be leaning on the more accurate side. I think CollectA, PNSO, Safari Ltd, and maybe some others did that right.

I was also watching reviews on some of these figures (probably the best way for me to observe the details on them without owning them), and I noticed that the Schleich did not have the webbing or the larger first toes.

John

The 2019 Safari Ltd.one is far and away the most accurate one out there right now.Until skin impressions are found that contradict crocodile like scales on the skin,all arguments against it will be meaningless. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Faelrin on December 01, 2019, 05:13:08 AM
B @Bokisaurus Thanks for the correction there. I'll fix that. However I do wonder if it could have bent its wrists like that? I'll add in the Ania and Kanna versions to the list too. Thanks for the info on them.

Also I've been doing some more research on the figures (and Spinosaurus itself) and it seems like Spinosaurus has a larger first toe then other theropods that perhaps it would have stood on? Honestly I was previously unaware of this detail, but I suppose if Spinosaurus did have a larger first toe, then figures that include that feature would be leaning on the more accurate side. I think CollectA, PNSO, Safari Ltd, and maybe some others did that right.

I was also watching reviews on some of these figures (probably the best way for me to observe the details on them without owning them), and I noticed that the Schleich did not have the webbing or the larger first toes.

You're welcome.😃 I'm not an expert on Spinosaurus, but I have been fascinated by it every since I wrote my review of the Safari figure and learned a lot.

The whole debate about how the hands may have been oriented is something that can't really be settled until we find fossil evidence that would clearly illustrate how it all works.
Until then, I suppose it's all guess work.
I would think that unless Spinosaurus evolved some truly unique features that would allow for something else besides the palm face down or knuckles on the ground way of using its hands, it's hard to think of another option.

So for me personally, I don't consider either the palms down or knuckle dragging to be inaccurate.😃

This new reconstruction really is odd and so fascinating!
I know I have photos of half of this figures, feel free to use them if you like.
It would really be great to see each of the figures together.

stargatedalek

We do have a complete finger, and it shows no adaptation for supporting weight, so knuckle walking is at least something extremely unlikely. It could have propped itself on its knuckles, but they weren't built to do that and it likely would have been painful.

The problem with traditional bipedalism isn't balance, it's atrophied leg muscles. It doesn't matter how large you make the legs or what kind of counterbalance you give it, Spinosaurus just wouldn't have been able to stand up without incredible strain. For reference even quadrupedal animals don't have their leg muscles atrophy like we see evidence of in Spinosaurus.

This leaves us with less traditional movements like leaning on its forearm or belly as what would be most anatomically comfortable for the animal. That doesn't guarantee anything, and it arguably means less for an animal like Spinosaurus that probably only came to shore to breed and would probably be uncomfortable no matter what, but it's generally a good bet.

Ravonium

None of these figures will hold up perfectly in the future, but Safari's version is probably the most likely to do so should something major change in our understanding of Spinosaurus.

BTW, I think it's worth mentioning the Spinosaurus in Kaiyodo's Dinosaur Expo 2016 set.

Faelrin

I added images (most linked from the DinoToyCollector site, with the Papo Spinosaurus pic linked from Happy Hen toys), the Kaiyodo Expo Spinosaurus, and some scale information for the Rebor and Safari Ltd Spinosaurus. Does anyone have scale information for the other figures I have listed?

I suppose the Safari Ltd one is the most accurate for the mean time. However it's also the one where the texture and coloration probably appeals to me the least (that's not to say it is bad), so I probably won't get it anytime soon.

Regardless of which one I want however, I suppose this will or would have been a good discussion to have with information, for those that would like to choose a modern Spinosaurus among these figures, and has yet to acquire one.

Shonisaurus

More scientific is the Safari spinosaurus and precise but the prettiest is undoubtedly that of Rebor without it meaning that it is also a very scientific figure. Rebor's spinosaurus modeling is the one I love most. On the other hand, Papo's spinosaurus with other touches of paint ... would have been much better figure ... if it had been the same as the prototype would have been a fable story. Anyway, Papo spinosaurus is also a good figure.
The PNSO is a good figure but does not stand up properly. Regarding the spinosaurus of Nanmu Studio it is not a scientific figure and is based on the JP / JW saga but its modeling is decent.
Regarding the Collecta spinosaurus, he was awarded in his day as the best figure, with that I say everything. And the Schleich spinosaurus is without a doubt the best theropod made by the Schleich brand to date by far.

Mirroraptor

For me, I would choose Favorite Swimming one and Kaiyodo. They have outstanding sculpture, but have been neglected in recent years.
There are certain problems with the posture and proportion of PAPO one(I got one, I really love the sculpture of PAPO Spino, but as you see it's not the most accurate one), I also have a Schleich Spino and marvel at the beautiful styling by Vlad Konstantinov, but its head is obviously defective from positive look. The snout looks like a duck, not sure if it is due to deformation in the production process or it should be.(It is worth mentioning that the problem of the head appears in many "classic" Spinosaurus toys, such as safari Carnegie and PAPO old Spino.)
Rebor looks good, but I didn't get the real thing. I hope to see the real thing before I come to a conclusion. PNSO's 1st metacarpal appeared to be separated from the other metacarpal and became part of the finger rather than the palm.

Loon

Are there any figures of a Spinosaurus in the new, supposedly accurate short-legged bipedal posture? Luckily, the two I own (Papo and Safari), are supposed to be in swimming/underwater poses; but, I would like a figure of this new posture if it is indeed accurate. Maybe CollectA could do it?

Patrx

There aren't any yet, but I'd definitely be interested in one as well.

Bokisaurus

stargatedalek

Quote from: Bokisaurus on December 04, 2019, 10:57:04 PM
I suppose the new Mojo can join the list😃
If we add it we might as well add the Jurassic Park ones, it's just another one of those but with back pain.

Derek.McManus

Who actually cares you are a werid bigot and a magnificent example of a keyboard warrior.
Edit by Admin. This member has been banned permanently for repeatedly breaking forum rule 1. C:-)

Loon

Quote from: Derek.McManus on December 05, 2019, 01:22:21 PM
Who actually cares you are a werid bigot and a magnificent example of a keyboard warrior.

What are you talking about?

Patrx

Derek, I'm not sure which member you're trying to insult there, but regardless, you're breaking Forum Rule #1, "no intentional personal attacks, rudeness, or personal provocation." Please don't continue to do so.  C:-)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: