News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Identification thread

Started by Takama, March 17, 2012, 04:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lips

Hi there. I have been hoping to find a forum like this for a while. I love dinos and so do my boys. We always find them in the wild and so I thought I would submit this last bunch to see if you can ID them for us. Thanks!

sauroid

i dont know if they are original molds but they look like Marx and Timmee
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

amargasaurus cazaui

None of it looks Marx to me, more likely MPC for the bigger pieces.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

lips

There are some messy edges on a few of the larger ones and I am noticing injection hole marks. Did Marx had those hole marks? I remember the ones I have seen not having them and being pretty clean. Did MPC make any silver ones?

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: lips on January 07, 2016, 02:49:36 PM
There are some messy edges on a few of the larger ones and I am noticing injection hole marks. Did Marx had those hole marks? I remember the ones I have seen not having them and being pretty clean. Did MPC make any silver ones?
The trick to understanding the differences...yes some Marx did have filling holes visible but they were generally made to happen at the bottoms of feet. Yes MPC made silver figures as well as Marx. Many or most of the MPC models are direct rip-offs from the Marx pieces, except....and this is key...Marx figures tended to utilize three and even sometimes four piece molds, which allowed them to make fairly thick robust looking figures. When MPC stepped in, they retooled the figures to all utilize two piece molds, making them often slimmer, less bulky looking and often more.......cheap ! MPC did some unique figures of their own that were quite nice however....aside from the fact these figures are obviously made from the MPC two piece molds another thing that tends to give them away are the colors.....Marx did not really ever use the blues and reds and so forth until their company sold the molds and rights off and someone recast them for other sets using the various colors at that point.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

lips

Thank you for that! IS there a guide of sorts for the different Marx colors?

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: lips on January 07, 2016, 03:43:58 PM
Thank you for that! IS there a guide of sorts for the different Marx colors?
Better than a guide...there is a thread right here in the forum for both Marx and MPC dinosaurs so you can compare and check more

lips

Thank you! I intend to dig deeper in the threads here.  ;D

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: lips on January 07, 2016, 08:10:56 PM
Thank you! I intend to dig deeper in the threads here.  ;D
Another useful site to better understand the marx vs MPC playsets and dinosaurs etc....happy hunting

http://rubberdinosaurs.org/

lips

Thank you. I love reading more about these. :)

Halichoeres

Does anybody know where this Schleich Dilophosaurus comes from? It looks like a repaint of the Dilo from the Juniors line, and it's marked "exclusive," but exclusive to where or what? Thanks in advance!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Libraraptor

Ah, an "Exclusive"  ::) . Sorry, Halichoeres, in the matter of Schleich I do not understand their company policy and releasing strategies anymore. Does anyone at all? They´re out of favour with me. Finally.

And lips: The two brown T.rexes are defintitely Marx.

CityRaptor

Exclusive to a set. Normally those consist of between three and five of their Junior Line Dinosaurs with one in an exclusive color scheme. Due to how those sets are packed, one would end up with several of the same bad Dinosaurs if one were to hunt for all exclusives. 
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Libraraptor on January 09, 2016, 06:15:22 PM
Ah, an "Exclusive"  ::) . Sorry, Halichoeres, in the matter of Schleich I do not understand their company policy and releasing strategies anymore. Does anyone at all? They´re out of favour with me. Finally.

And lips: The two brown T.rexes are defintitely Marx.
The two brown figures are not rexes first, they are allosaurus. They are then MPC allosaurus figures aside from ....

SpittersForEver

Halichoeres,

If you really want the repaint it can be bought here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Schleich-dinosaurs-set-of-4-small-medium-exclusive-1-only-41379-scenery-pack-/272078943871?h

But its quite expensive since its the whole set, the individual figure could probably be found for cheaper.

Heres a triceratops exclusive set for less: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCHLEICH-DINOSAURS-SCENERY-PACK-EXCLUSIVE-SODEREDITION-TRICERATOPS-VELOCIRAPTOR-/251899621112?hash=item3aa6632ef8:g:07cAAOSwNSxVGsRd

Halichoeres

Thanks for the info, guys! I should have guessed it was from one of the scenery packs.

@SpittersForEver: I actually have one that I want to get rid of, but I got it in a mixed eBay lot that I bought for other reasons, with no packaging and without the accompanying figures. I was just looking for information so that I can resell it without accidentally telling any lies. :) That's a pretty crappy move on Schleich's part, only repainting one figure per pack!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

sauroid

does anyone know what this is? looks like a cross between an Ichthyosaur and sawfish

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Roselaar

Just a bad sawfish figure, perhaps? :-/

sauroid

Quote from: Roselaar on January 18, 2016, 08:37:27 PM
Just a bad sawfish figure, perhaps? :-/
i dont know but it looks cool as a sea monster  :D

brontosauruschuck

Can anyone help me identify who made these totally wicked awesome robot dinosaur toys? They're made in chine. They're both pretty small. The dromaeosaurid can fit on a penny. The orange theropod is about twice as big. It used to be a keychain but I cut the chain part off to make it more functional as a toy. I got these circa 1991. I got them separately but I'm pretty sure they're from the same line. Thanks y'all!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: