News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Identification thread

Started by Takama, March 17, 2012, 04:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Libraraptor

I would ask the Animal Toy Blog community as well.

BlueKrono

We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Duna

I only know some species that you could mantain in reef tanks at home. I suggest this web for real pictures of the fishes in the reef, that is very good and clasified by families: https://www.snorkeling-report.com/fish-identification-guide/

By the way, I got this four little creatures in a lot containing McDonald's Camp Cretaceous dinosaurs and two Snap Squad. But I don't recognise these. They probably are prehistoric creatures, because one looks like a Dunkleosteous, the others are difficult to tell, maybe a mosasaurus, dilophosaurus and a mammooth?
They are very cool, just the Snap Squads in reverse and about the same size: the jaws stay open and you close them by applying pressure on them, releasing makes them open again.

Halichoeres

S @Strepsodus Those molds have been used many times by many companies, and the paint schemes are fanciful, not closely matching any actual fish. I'm guessing this iteration is Terra? If we numbered them 1-12 going left to right and top to bottom, 1, 2, 8, and 11 are some kind of butterflyfish. 3 is a Moorish idol. 4 is a damselfish. 5 appears to be some kind of catfish but missing fins. 6 could be a grouper maybe. 7 and 9 are surgeons/tangs. 11 is a clownfish or related damsel. 12 is a wrasse.

avatar_Duna @Duna those are terrifying!  ;D
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

nnq2603

I see a brachiosaurus model photo in a local online shop, and in description they mentioned the company name is GSQ But after a quick google I don't see anything relevant at all.

Is this a typo or there's a company with that name in dino toy industry? I'm new in all of this, so I've no idea. (I did send a message just to ask them more about the company, but they didn't really say any useful info. No website, no other product,...

This is the photo of that model/item:

The pose and proportion somehow looks like the Mojo one linked here, but not quite (details, color, material, etc... different)
https://www.target.com/p/mojo-dinosaur-brachiosaurus-realistic-figure/-/A-81411807

The one I mean to ask about it the brown largest one. I know some other smaller models in 2nd pic from known companies.

Or maybe this's a knockoff of some famous model that I'm not aware of... maybe missing something obvious here.

Halichoeres

Hi N @nnq2603 I think that's a reproduction of the Horizon Brachiosaurus model kit.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 18, 2022, 05:47:06 PM
Hi N @nnq2603 I think that's a reproduction of the Horizon Brachiosaurus model kit.

It's based on it maybe, but it's far larger than the Horizon model which is about as big as the Mattel one, maybe a bit taller.  The creature in that pic is around 4' tall or more.   I know there are Mexican knockoffs in rubber of model kits but I haven't seen or heard of this one.  There was a large Tsukuda Brachiosaurus for JP but I don't believe it was this massive either.  It's 1/15 scale or larger? Whew.

nnq2603

Oh, thanks man. That makes a lot of sense. I re-search with your keyword and many close model looks like it. Indeed, I didn't know about that model kit.
So the original company that produced it, is Horizon, I just read a intro about it in dinotoyblog, interesting piece of info. It became part of history now.
Quote...Almost 30 years ago, in the year 1992 the Californian company Horizon released a small number of high quality dinosaur models made from vinyl...
...Horizon was a small model making company of Chinese origin located in California. It ceased production in the late 90s or early 2000s...

nnq2603

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 18, 2022, 06:00:15 PM

It's based on it maybe, but it's far larger than the Horizon model which is about as big as the Mattel one, maybe a bit taller.  The creature in that pic is around 4' tall or more.   I know there are Mexican knockoffs in rubber of model kits but I haven't seen or heard of this one.  There was a large Tsukuda Brachiosaurus for JP but I don't believe it was this massive either.  It's 1/15 scale or larger? Whew.
In description they listed height 110cm and length 115cm, ratio 1:22 (probably skewed ratio, if the reallife brachiosaurus about 12m tall, 22m long, then this model 1,1m tall > ratio ~1:11 But model length is 115cm so ratio in length is different)
I've no idea but searching with the keyword Horizon Brachiosaurus does bring some similar big models. Like this
https://twitter.com/dinosaurdungeon/status/1072351335742431232?lang=eu

Duna

Quote from: nnq2603 on January 18, 2022, 06:27:55 PM

In description they listed height 110cm and length 115cm, ratio 1:22 (probably skewed ratio, if the reallife brachiosaurus about 12m tall, 22m long, then this model 1,1m tall > ratio ~1:11 But model length is 115cm so ratio in length is different)
I've no idea but searching with the keyword Horizon Brachiosaurus does bring some similar big models. Like this
The one in your picture of the web looks like the extremely rare 1992 Jurassic Park giant brachiosaurus made by Tsukuda Hobby
https://www.ebay.com/itm/274467066958?hash=item3fe783144e:g:c54AAOSw0fFfQBls
Sorry, I didn't read about the height, this is smaller.

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: nnq2603 on January 18, 2022, 04:42:55 PM
I see a brachiosaurus model photo in a local online shop,
It's a Horizon knockoff commonly found on Taobao china.
I think I once ( before Taobao demanded identifications ) added a link to buy it ( I think it was something like 50$ )

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: Duna on January 18, 2022, 08:14:50 PM
The one in your picture of the web is the extremely rare 1992 Jurassic Park giant brachiosaurus made by Tsukuda Hobby, and it sells for several hundreds ... If I were you I'll buy it, surely!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/274467066958?hash=item3fe783144e:g:c54AAOSw0fFfQBls
Yes, the large Horizon Brachiosaurus
well, I have the Tsukuda Brachiosaurus - and it's only 78 cm Tall.
Also have the Horizon - didn't have the time yet to assemble it - but it should be about the same height.
So, this is definately not either of them.

Duna

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on January 18, 2022, 09:25:12 PM
Also have the Horizon - didn't have the time yet to assemble it - but it should be about the same height.
So, this is definately not either of them.
Yes, I didn't notice he had posted the size. Yep, the originals are smaller.

Ikessauro

Can anyone id this raptor? I'm not sure who made it originally, I've seen it in other colors too. I can't see in that box any company name, also the one in the package has red around the eyes, the one I have in hand doesn't. Not sure if that is only a paint variation or one if a knock off of the other. The one I have has no markings on the body. It is cheaply painted. The white of the teeth bleed into the jaws and the claws are painted only in their upper side, both in the feet and hands

Justin_

The company name is on the box, King Me World. I'm seeing them for sale on Russian, Indian and Philippines websites.
Am I reading that line on the bottom of the box correctly?

"Animal series designed for the children all are fangled and in the high quality. Welcome to choose our products!"

Duna

Quote from: Ikessauro on January 20, 2022, 12:20:07 AM
Can anyone id this raptor?
I have it myself, too, it's very nice. When I got it in a toy lot, I was sure I wanted to keep it. Mine has black around the eye (not red) like the one in the box and the stripes are thin and lighter, identical as yours. So it's a mix, I suppose there could be some variation in the figures.

Fembrogon

Vintage aficionados: does this look like a legit Marx variant, or is it a recast? I recall reading that there were rare swirled figures made during the original runs.

Blade-of-the-Moon

looks like one from one of the later playsets, like the Rulers of Earth.

Libraraptor

Nearly exactly one year ago I asked this question in the "Marx Prehistoric Times" thread. I have copied it and will paste it here:

Quote from: stoneage on January 26, 2021, 04:06:41 AM
Quote from: Libraraptor on January 25, 2021, 04:15:58 PM

Does anyone have more information about the marbled brown variants?  How rare were/are they?
The dinosaur collectibles book says they are by Superior from Marx molds and come from the 1980s. Right?

Okay, I've consulted with my Dinosauriana Compendium Disc.  The Superior Dinosaurs were only sold in Rulers of the Earth playsets.  There was a Large, Medium and Small playset.  These figures came in green, gray and brown.  The figures are made from a soft brittle plastic which is more pliable then Starlux but still breakable.
There are 17 prehistoric figures not counting cavemen.  The large molds: Rex, Bronto, & Krono.  The medium molds:  Allo, Stego, Trach,Ankylo, Pterano, & Hadro.  The second series: Moschop, Mega, Wooly, Styraco, Struthio, Iguano, & Parasaur.  There are also figures in black, red, deep forest green and yellow that they don't know their source.  The largest set uses the One Million BC Marx type mountain.They also had some original rock formations of their own.  Their were also two sets of brick red, cream colored cavemen as well as trees with black trunks, fronds, and Mark style booklet.

Fembrogon

I think I remember seeing that post now! Thanks, avatar_Libraraptor @Libraraptor and avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon.
I just took a look in my own "Dinosaur Collectibles" copy and sure enough, there's the Superior line. It's good to have multiple sources you can depend on.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: