News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Identification thread

Started by Takama, March 17, 2012, 04:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damon

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on February 07, 2013, 02:13:41 AM
That appears to me to be an older Sinclaire Petroleum Company Brontosaurus from the time period you described . It is similar to a marx Brontosaurus but has slight differences in posture and detail overall. They were generally given as prizes for purchasing gas at roadside stations or sometimes handed out at various events.

Funny, I just Finished looking at your post in the Sauropod thread of the forum and noticed you have the same one in brown. Thanks for the info on it. I have seen many of the  Marx Brontosaurus so I knew it was not that.
Cheers and thanks again!

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: Damon on February 07, 2013, 02:31:02 AM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on February 07, 2013, 02:13:41 AM
That appears to me to be an older Sinclaire Petroleum Company Brontosaurus from the time period you described . It is similar to a marx Brontosaurus but has slight differences in posture and detail overall. They were generally given as prizes for purchasing gas at roadside stations or sometimes handed out at various events.

Funny, I just Finished looking at your post in the Sauropod thread of the forum and noticed you have the same one in brown. Thanks for the info on it. I have seen many of the  Marx Brontosaurus so I knew it was not that.
Cheers and thanks again!
Correct and that is precisly how I was able to give it a name . Enjoy and cheers
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Libraraptor

Damon, I really love that grey monochrome sauropod, although I do not know the company. Neither do I know the company of this guy, although I tend towards a Starlux knockoff. It´s made of rubber, soft rubber, and not the fragile material Starlux are made of. Under the base a weak imprint says "STA" and then fades away, two or three times. At one place I could even identify an "L". So, is this a Starlux Knockoff? Thanks!

mnemosaurus

That figure is definitely similar to the Starlux Struthiomimus, although the material you describe is very atypical, as you also pointed out. My Starlux Struthiomimus (made from the typical hard plastic) has a few STARLUX marks underneath. I guess the letters you were able to descipher are remnants of the word 'Starlux'.  I have never seen a rubbery Starlux figure, or a knock-off Starlux for that matter. I am intrigued  :)

Where did you find it..? 

mnemosaurus

[oops  ::)]

Libraraptor

Quote from: mnemosaurus on February 08, 2013, 10:08:12 PM
That figure is definitely similar to the Starlux Struthiomimus, although the material you describe is very atypical, as you also pointed out. My Starlux Struthiomimus (made from the typical hard plastic) has a few STARLUX marks underneath. I guess the letters you were able to descipher are remnants of the word 'Starlux'.  I have never seen a rubbery Starlux figure, or a knock-off Starlux for that matter. I am intrigued  :)

Where did you find it..?

Wullewux found a box of them on a flea market in the neighbour village. It was so irritating because for the first time I could not help her at once. However, one she kept for her daughter, one she traded with me for Carnegie Mosasaurus. I know she has still some of them left. Contact her if you´d like to have one.

Dikiyoba

I just have a few dinosaurs in my collection that I can't identify because they lack a clear brand name on them.

These are clearly based on Jurassic Park (note the frill on the Dilophosaurus). They are marked with the genus name, the year 1996, and the letters PV inside a circle.

This is a glow-in-the-dark Triceratops. It's labeled with the name, the year 2000, and the letters TM inside a very broad oval (so it's probably not a weird trademark symbol).

tyrantqueen

Could PV possibly be short for playvisions?

Dikiyoba

Quote from: tyrantqueen on February 14, 2013, 12:41:31 AM
Could PV possibly be short for playvisions?
Aha! That's it. The trio are from Play Visions.

(I have also have a Parasaurolophus from Play Visions that's made in a very different style, so I never would have guessed.)

Takama

Yes its deefeetly Playvisions.   Not there best looking figures aparently

That Triceratops looks like a common Chinasaur that was sold for a doller at Doller General in the early 2000s 

thelordsgym

Yeah those are the Play Visions habitat earth Dinosaurs, which are more common, and less detailed than the  Play Visions Natural History Museum line.....which are getting tougher to find these days.....

sauroid

the TM triceratops is Toy Major and from China
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

docronnie

Quote from: sauroid on February 14, 2013, 03:29:09 AM
the TM triceratops is Toy Major and from China

I second this, I've seen a lot of these Toy Majors lately.  They are hollow (some have glow in the dark versions) and dated.  I bought some for my daughter's collection.
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

UK

Hi does anyone have any information on this figure?

Jetoar

Wouw cool skeleton of Brachiosaurus. In the top right square I  read battat  :).
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

Seijun

I am pretty sure battat made some skeletons and also some cheap dollar-store-style dinosaurs, in addition to the boston museum line.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Seijun

Can anyone ID this?

Its resin, about 4.5 inches long. No other info. It's not a piece I own.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Dikiyoba

One more.

This is a set of ceramics made in Japan. Google tells me they're probably rereleases (from a line in the 1950s?), but I have no clue as to the company or year rereleased.

Edit: Changed photo URL.

celsius

I dont know how to upload a pic...
BUT I just bought this:
Can you tell me if there are others in the set and what exactly it is:
I love the oldschool look...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140889747639?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=1237551&ppid=1122&image=621822854&images=621822837,621822854&formats=0,0&format=0

SBell

Quote from: celsius on February 22, 2013, 07:19:57 PM
I dont know how to upload a pic...
BUT I just bought this:
Can you tell me if there are others in the set and what exactly it is:
I love the oldschool look...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140889747639?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=1237551&ppid=1122&image=621822854&images=621822837,621822854&formats=0,0&format=0

As it says in the auction title, it is AAA. As a company, they are from Asia and have produced animals and dinos for a long time (of varying quality and size).  There are several in the line, but it isn't an easy company to pin down--there is no particular site or store that lists them all, and the availability is always difficult to determine. They are usually sold as lower-end figures in toy stores and some museum shops.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: