News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Identification thread

Started by Takama, March 17, 2012, 04:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

Those things are probably hazardous waste.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

UK

Hi would anyone be able to add to my sketchy knowledge of this little figure I got from Japan. I know it is a Medicom 'Baby Nessie' figure from a cryptids / urban myths line (an erroneously misclassified Tully-Monster). Would anyone have a link to further information please or just know a little more.

And a potential indication of value too, trying to justify what I paid for it I suppose :-)

Thanks in advance.

tyrantqueen

It looks to me like something that belongs in the Cambrian >:D

stoneage

Medicom basically released a series of Cryptozoology figures.  This figure comes from series one.  It is obviously based on the Tully Monster. 

http://vimeo.com/30216197

Megalosaurus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on May 23, 2014, 01:20:40 PM
It looks to me like something that belongs in the Cambrian >:D
I thinked the same, but Tullimonstrum gregarium turned to be alive in Carboniferous.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Crackington

It looks like Opabinia without any eyes - wonder if it was a deep sea dweller.

Gwangisaur

Hey Blade of the Moon,

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/images/AUTOIMAGES/DC9010436lg.jpg

I randomly stumbled on this pic you posted way back in October 2012 of a retro Allasaurus and caveman for preorder on Entertainment Earth, but the listing for it is long gone, and I can't find images of it anywhere. I like this figure so much I had to join the boards just to find out what it is. I'm sure whatever it is, it's super rare and mega expensive, or never even came out, because that's how these things tend to go  :D.

Any help is appreciated.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Gwangisaur on May 24, 2014, 05:41:19 PM
Hey Blade of the Moon,

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/images/AUTOIMAGES/DC9010436lg.jpg

I randomly stumbled on this pic you posted way back in October 2012 of a retro Allasaurus and caveman for preorder on Entertainment Earth, but the listing for it is long gone, and I can't find images of it anywhere. I like this figure so much I had to join the boards just to find out what it is. I'm sure whatever it is, it's super rare and mega expensive, or never even came out, because that's how these things tend to go  :D.

Any help is appreciated.

Yeah I was excited for that one too..but it was never released. Apparently it was canceled..the manufacturer was in Japan I think.

Gwangisaur

Crud... thanks for the info, though!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Your welcome. I spoke with the artist once.. I recall now who ..but he said it was unlikely it would ever be released.  I'd love to have a set of really nice detailed figures based on old dinosaur films.

Gwangisaur

I appreciate the more scientifically accurate dinosaurs, but I grew up on the old tail draggers--- really more fantasy creatures at this point. That's the stuff that tends to catch my eye nowadays.

Hynerpeton

Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

SBell

Hynerpeton

Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

Roselaar

Got some figures I need IDying:

The green Iguanodon is labeled 'Iguadonon', but nothing else. It's deliciously retro and fairly detailed. The paint texture of its claws reminds me of old Carnegiesaurs.

I've seen the small figures before but I don't know what line they belong to. Probably some BIN style bunch of cheap Cinasaurs figures. Species choice is odd though, next to the typical everyday Rexes and Trikes the line also includes Ceratosaurus and Tsintaosaurus, and these four. One of these is likely a Protoceratops, but what about the others? Centrosaurus, Monoclonius? Heterodontosaurus, Hypsilophodon, Dryosaurus maybe?

stargatedalek

I have the smaller figures set
a couple others I saw in your pic are also from the same kit

it was a "no-name" dollar store kit, but they certainly did chose some interesting species

I think the purple ceratopsian is centrosaurus/monoclonius, the ornithopods(?) are a bit more generic however
none of them had any sort of labels, just a plastic bin

tyrantqueen

I know where I've seen that Iguanodon before:

Roselaar

That's it exactly! I knew they based it off some paleo artwork, I just couldn't remember which one. Thanks for finding out. :)

But now for the mystery as to which company produced this beauty and whether there are other figures in that line. I don't feel this is just your average Chinasaur, it looks way too good for that.

sauroid

i also have that small Protoceratops that i just got recently but i dont have any info about it. it looks very retro.

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Ultimatedinoking

Quote from: sauroid on July 14, 2014, 04:45:34 PM
i also have that small Protoceratops that i just got recently but i dont have any info about it. it looks very retro.

Is it hard plastic or soft plastic?
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: