You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Loon's Collection: PNSO Suchomimus (Jan 16, 2023)

Started by Loon, January 26, 2020, 07:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

Hey I'm glad to see you're okay, or well I hope things have been good for you. I have missed your presence here.

And gosh your collection is nothing short of amazing. I really love the diversity of it. Extant and extinct.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Loon

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin I'm doing alright, hopefully you're doing well, too.

Your mention actually inspired me to post again. I haven't been as active on forums for the past bit, but now that I'm on break, I'd like to post some more.

Anyway, thank you for the compliment. I do like to have as many different species as possible. Which, unfortunately, has led me to the conclusion that I'll need to create a display for larger scale figures of small insects and reptiles, etc., since I've mostly ignored those animals in my collection.

Shonisaurus

What a nice collection. By the way, where did you buy, that repainted shantungosaurus from PNSO? It's great.

Leyster

Nice to see you again, hope you're well! An absolutely lovely display, I spotted some Vitae too (a brand I admit I have a soft spot for)
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Gwangi

Welcome back! The collection is looking fantastic, very well put together and displayed. Congrats on the Safari Ltd. opossum, that's one of my holy grails too.

Dusty Wren

I never get tired of seeing your collection. Seeing the way you've curated it and displayed it makes me want to revamp my own set up so it's more presentable. Your lighting is really nice, too.

On your marine shelf, who makes that polar bear? I've been looking for a good one.
Check out my customs thread!

Bread

Loon your collection and display is stunning. Really inspires not just myself, but others as well to collect and re-arrange our shelves. Never get tired of seeing it. Also, welcome back.

Shonisaurus

I forgot, I'm a mess! Welcome back to the DTF.

Faelrin

avatar_Loon @Loon Glad to hear you've been doing alright. I expanded on how I've been doing in my reply to you in my collection thread.

I think you are definitely doing a great job with achieving that with your collection so far, those aside.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Duck

avatar_Loon @Loon Your collection is very diverse and contains many wonderful models. I hope that one day my small collection will be able to be as amazing and diverse as yours.
I also like how you display the models. They don't look crowded, like a lot of other collections I've seen.
Good work!
He who dwells in pond

Grimbeard

avatar_Loon @Loon Your collection displays are one of my big inspirations and aspirations on this forum.

Your approach with the lightning, theming of the shelves after geologic timezones/geographic areas and general choice of models are top-notch and have heavily influenced the way I have set-up my collection.  Love the idea with the black plattform on some shelve to give them more levels for all models to shine. Thank you you posting this substential update, it really looks like a miniature museum in the living room.

One question, what is the Australopithecus in Neogene shelve? All hominid figure I have seen so far look medicore at best and like uncanny valley nightmare fuel at worst, but this one looks really nice.

Halichoeres

Good to have you back, avatar_Loon @Loon! Glad to see you've continued building this collection. I like the suspended aquatic animals; I used to do something similar with pterosaurs but never replicated it after I moved a couple of times.

Hyena and Protoceratops: two great tastes that taste great together!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Welcome back avatar_Loon @Loon it's lovely to see your collection updates. I always admire your collection, your displays are great. I hope you're doing well.
And it does remind me of a mini museum with all those specimens.
Also glad to see how big the CollectA Protoceratops is next to the Safari Velociraptor. They look good together. Might have to get one myself next time Everything Dinosaur restocks.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

paintingdinos

Welcome back indeed  :) I haven't been around either, but its always nice to see your collection. Anyone would be envious of those perfectly organized display shelves!

Loon

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus No worries. That Shantungosaurus was repainted by avatar_paintingdinos @paintingdinos. It really is impressive.

L @Leyster Thanks, and hope you're doing well too. I didn't have any Vitae on display till recently, even though I have owned some in the past. I'm very happy to have those back along with the Giganotosaurus, which I hate myself for missing out on when it was cheaper. I hope we start getting some more news from them, as I wasn't crazy about their last two new figures; though maybe they've said something, I have been severely out of the loop.

Thanks for the kind words, avatar_Duck @Duck. Please, I beg you, when building your collection, be more responsible with money than me. I don't get one this big without making some very...irresponsible choices, at least in my case. Regardless, I look forward to seeing your collection come along, always interesting to see what models people are picking up.

avatar_Grimbeard @Grimbeard Thank you. I find it funny that someone looks up to something I've done, but I'm proud enough of this display to see why. Very egocentric, I know. Anyway, that Australopithecus is a rare resin model from Kaiyodo's The Study Room line. I've seen it on eBay once for about $80. I got mine from avatar_brettnj @brettnj, who could probably help you get one.

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Thanks. I would be lying if I said I never stopped by the forum or blog, mostly to check out your thread, honestly. I am still a relative rube when it comes to determining accuracy, so it's been very helpful, and a little costly... Seriously though, that Rebor Ekrixinatosaurus review killed me.

avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx Thank you! It's nice to talk to you again, and hope you're doing alright as well. That protoceratops is a pretty good match for the velociraptor, especially since I doubt safari will give us one that large any time soon, but we shall see. I mean, I'll buy it anyway, but still.

avatar_paintingdinos @paintingdinos Thank you, nice to see you posting again as well. I need to dedicate some time to check out everyone else's threads again, especially yours, which I have always enjoyed.

This is a slight update to the last update post, but I wanted to see what everyone thought. Long story short, I just got Safari's Malawisaurus again, and I am facing a problem with how to display it. The shelf it was on contained mostly species that appear in the fossil record until about 100 mya; one of those was Sarcosuchus. But, there is a real problem with putting two long animals on the same shelf and hoping to show them off as much as possible.

The Sarcosuchus just made things a little too crowded, so I moved it down to a lower shelf, which contains animals younger than 100 million years. As far as I know, Sarcosuchus and Carcharadontosaurus would never have interacted, but they're both from Africa, so they go next to each other.

I just wanted to see what everyone thinks. Does this work? I don't know just yet, aesthetically or thematically it feels a little off.

Loon

avatar_Dusty Wren @Dusty Wren Sorry, I forgot to reply to you. Thank you for the compliments, I really appreciate it. Also, the polar bear is made by Papo. It's really nice, though, be cautious of the tag. On both copies I've owned, the gold from the string has left a ring stain around the arm. After washing it with soap and water, it's not terribly visible, but still there.

Eocarcharia

I'm a little late to comment, but welcome back! I thought you had tapped out for good there. Your displays are looking better than ever! Let's see...
- Your marine life display reminds me of a museum, with the whales suspended from the ceiling.
- As someone who owns a ton of Mattel Jurassic World figures, seeing your collection consist of just a few movie-based pieces is refreshing in its simplicity. Quality over quantity, as they say.
- I like your Christmas/whatever shelf.
- The overhead modern wildlife shelf is quite grand, nicely done.
- I think the Sarcosuchus and Carcharodontosaurus look great together, although I don't sort my figures based on specific time periods, so any discrepancies in that realm don't really bother/occur to me.

Oh, and Happy New Year!

Loon

Thanks for the comment avatar_Eocarcharia @Eocarcharia ! I used to have a ton of Mattel stuff myself, even imported those Destruct-A-Saurs from Canada once. I basically had everything from the first year, but I realized that was unsustainable. Also, that my real passion was primarily the original trilogy, particularly the first film. Still, those Mattel figures are such fun toys, I've been tempted to buy a few every now and then, as you can see with the Apatosaurus.

Alright, here are the last gets of 2021!

Firstly, my Christmas haul. I've just started reading Dinopedia by Darren Naish (which I hate to admit is the first scientific dinosaur book I've ever really attempted) and it's really good. I also got the PNSO Pinacosaurus, which, yes I already owned, but I found myself wanting it again without wanting to spend the money for it. So, I'm happy my family picked it from my Amazon wishlist.

Also, perhaps my favorite present, a Dennis Nedry rubber duck by TUBBZ. I have my sister to thank for this one. It's not something I knew I wanted, but now that I have it, I can't imagine how I lived without it.

My immediate family were really big on giving Amazon gift cards this year, and I'm very thankful, since I was able to get some figures I had been wanting. First, the PNSO Olorotitan, which is pretty alright. I think it's a nicely done figure, but is missing something (I don't know what) when compared to the other hadrosaurids in the line.

This Papo dinosaur set was also a result of those gift cards. I'm not the biggest fan of Papo's dinosaurs all the time, but a friend convinced me that I needed the Acrocanthosaurus. For a few bucks more, I opted for the set with the Compsognathus, but as nice as that model is in its own way, the carcharodontosaurid is the real event.

I love the paint apps here. Somehow it makes me think of African predators like wild dogs, without the figure ripping their colors off. The early entry for Allosauroids in Dinopedia really emphasized the massive forearm claws of Acrocanthosaurus specifically, so I'm a little bummed they're not represented, but I won't let that get in the way of a truly wonderful figure. Also, I'm happy to have a nice figure of this species, since the skeleton at the Houston museum left such an impression on me.

Look at that dork.

Here's a set of figures I've had in the past, but sold for some reason, it's the mini dinosaurs from Walking with Dinosaurs: the Movie. From left to right: Parksosaurus, Alphadon, and "Troodon." I think these are actually quite nice for their size and represent some species that don't get much recognition in toy form. Especially the "Troodon," as Stenonychosaurus is a pretty well dinosaur that doesn't have many nice modern figures to its name.

I was honestly pretty shocked by these two, it's the Safari Armored Tyrannosaurus and Triceratops. I didn't care for these much and wasn't planning on grabbing them, but they reminded me too much of Dinotopia to pass up. I'm happy I did, since I really enjoy them as a fun little side experiment (one that I hope continues). I personally like the triceratops more as the sculpt and paint just feel cleaner.

Another returnee, Takara's Anchiornis. I had the PNSO version for a while. I like how fluffy the feathers are on that figure, but I felt it wasn't completely right. This one, while maybe a little conservative on the feathers, is still very well done for such a small figure. I think the pose is pretty awkward, but nothing awful. The only complaint I really have about the figure is how it stands on the base, as I kind of wish it was able to show the nameplate while giving a 3/4 view of the figure. Still, it's really such a pretty figure.

I'm going to ask, because my eyes are so bad that I can't tell from photos of the fossils, but does Anchiornis have the sickle claws like the PNSO mini or were all the toes flat to the ground like Takara's?

Finally, the very last figure to come to me in 2021, Safari's TOOB Caudipteryx. As someone who has a real soft spot for early Cretaceous China, especially the Yixian formation, I needed a Caudipteryx on my shelves. Luckily, I was able to get a hold of an early paint variant, since the recent runs of this TOOB are pretty poor looking. This figure does suffer in some of the same ways a lot of older feathered dinosaur figures do, namely, the way the wings seem to cover the fingers instead of attaching to the second finger. But, I guess at this size, you'd really have to be looking closely to notice it, so I can forgive it somewhat.

Here it is with my ever growing Yixian display, I think it fits in pretty well. Even though, this display is a pain to organize since a lot of these figures are about the same height.

Anyway, happy new year everyone!

Duck

avatar_Loon @Loon  Nice Christmas acquisitions. I have some family in Houston, so every time I go and visit, I make sure to go to the science museum. The dinosaurs especially.  It is a very well put together exhibit. I also agree about the Acrocanthosaurus skeleton. It is a very impressive creature, like pretty much all dinosaurs. I am waiting very impatiently for the PNSO Acrocanthosaurus, which is (maybe) coming out soon.
He who dwells in pond

Loon

Quote from: Duck on January 02, 2022, 03:19:03 AM
avatar_Loon @Loon  Nice Christmas acquisitions. I have some family in Houston, so every time I go and visit, I make sure to go to the science museum. The dinosaurs especially.  It is a very well put together exhibit. I also agree about the Acrocanthosaurus skeleton. It is a very impressive creature, like pretty much all dinosaurs. I am waiting very impatiently for the PNSO Acrocanthosaurus, which is (maybe) coming out soon.

Thanks! I have to agree, the Houston museum is so well done, it really lets you get a good look at almost every angle of the animals, which I enjoy. I didn't know PNSO had plans for an Acrocanthosaurus, but that would be interesting to see. Hopefully it follows the path of their Carcharodontosaurus more than their other theropods.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: