News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva's Beasts of the Mesozoic Tyrannosaur Series

Started by Faelrin, March 12, 2020, 04:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Pliosaurking on February 15, 2023, 08:11:10 PMMine will lean if I only have one solid leg on the base, no matter if another articulated leg is touching the ground. It doesn't right away but if I leave it for say a day it will lean. It doesn't seem like it will fall, but I'm not chancing it. I do wish it came with a clear plastic stand or something to keep it up. Other than this mild issue it's a great figure for sure!
avatar_Pliosaurking @Pliosaurking
Thanks for the heads up!  So even when inserted into the peg? the plastic must be soft enough for the legs to flex causing it to lean?   I think once I paint mine I might store the base when displaying it on the shelf, I don't have room for bases, I do have extra stands tho.  Plus I want it to stand at the same height as the other 1/35 scale Tyrannosaurs in the collection.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Hoping the juvenile Rex is a bit easier to pose. lol

Andysdinosaurreviews

Quote from: Pliosaurking on February 15, 2023, 08:11:10 PMMine will lean if I only have one solid leg on the base, no matter if another articulated leg is touching the ground. It doesn't right away but if I leave it for say a day it will lean. It doesn't seem like it will fall, but I'm not chancing it. I do wish it came with a clear plastic stand or something to keep it up. Other than this mild issue it's a great figure for sure!

That's odd. I've had mine displayed with only one leg on a peg since I got it and haven't had any issues with it leaning. I did notice though that the hole on the foot doesn't stay attached to the peg as nicely as it was before. When I first put it on it was really snug and now it's much more loose and slides on and off. So far I haven't had any issues with it falling off or anything like that and it hasn't leaned or anything at all so it's not an issue as of now. However it has made me a little nervous when displaying it because I actually have it on a shelf up above some other models and if it falls it's going to smash them. I'm considering moving it just in case but so far I have not had any issues.

Pliosaurking

A @Andysdinosaurreviews I currently have with both feet in the pegs and it's fine currently. When I noticed it was leaning I put it up against the adult trike which can hold it up no problem.  When I put into a 1 peg foot pose I'll definitely do something like this again. I do wish it never leaned but it's not the end of the world and it's still a fine figure.

andrewsaurus rex

Quote from: Andysdinosaurreviews on February 17, 2023, 03:26:51 PM

That's odd. I've had mine displayed with only one leg on a peg since I got it and haven't had any issues with it leaning. I did notice though that the hole on the foot doesn't stay attached to the peg as nicely as it was before. When I first put it on it was really snug and now it's much more loose and slides on and off. So far I haven't had any issues with it falling off or anything like that and it hasn't leaned or anything at all so it's not an issue as of now. However it has made me a little nervous when displaying it because I actually have it on a shelf up above some other models and if it falls it's going to smash them. I'm considering moving it just in case but so far I have not had any issues.

you can try applying clear nail polish inside the hole where the peg goes to tighten it up again.  That trick works for other loose fitting items on toys, it may work in your case too.   

andrewsaurus rex

Quote from: Pliosaurking on February 17, 2023, 04:22:11 PMA @Andysdinosaurreviews I currently have with both feet in the pegs and it's fine currently. When I noticed it was leaning I put it up against the adult trike which can hold it up no problem.  When I put into a 1 peg foot pose I'll definitely do something like this again. I do wish it never leaned but it's not the end of the world and it's still a fine figure.

Can you see that the leg is actually bending, which would probably be at its thinnest point, or is the whole figure just leaning a bit?  If the whole figure is leaning, the problem may not be the plastic on the figure being too soft but the same problem Andy talked about ie a loose peg hole....and the fix would be the same....apply clear nail polish inside the hole to make the peg fit snuggly.

Pliosaurking

It may be the loose joint
But it doesn't instantly lean it only does after a while. It also goes back to normal if I take it off for a bit and put it back on. When I get home I shall try and find the problem.

andrewsaurus rex

Quote from: Pliosaurking on February 17, 2023, 06:20:59 PMIt may be the loose joint
But it doesn't instantly lean it only does after a while. It also goes back to normal if I take it off for a bit and put it back on. When I get home I shall try and find the problem.

that does sound like the plastic being soft is the problem.  Perhaps the lean is originating at one of the leg's joints.  It's curious that Andy is not having this problem.  Temperature can make a big difference to plastic's softness.  Is the room you have it in quite warm?  Or does it get lots of sunshine on it?

Pliosaurking

The temperature is fine, I'd say slightly warmer than average maybe
As for sunlight it gets a minimal amount as I've only had it a short while
I think it's the joint not being able to support the weight

Blade-of-the-Moon

The instructions say it can't be left in any pose except the standing on for long periods?

I managed to get both feet on the pegs with a little work and that seems to be the most stable.

Pliosaurking

Yeah that's exactly what I'm doing
For extended periods anyway

CARN0TAURUS

I got my grey 1/35 scale T-rex today and I love it!  The sculpt is beautiful!  As for posing it and stuff I guess I need to fiddle with it more because I can barely get anything to move and I'm having a very hard time getting it to stand without a support under his chest.

I think I was expecting a hollow toy like the mattel dinosaurs, LOL.  Has anyone broken the arms on theirs?  I feel like the arms on mine are very fragile.  Ironically, I think I'll be handling mine less than some of my regular figures.  I kind of wish David would've released solid (non action figure) versions of his sculpts too.  I know that sounds crazy but the sculpts are so beautiful.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on February 21, 2023, 11:34:30 PMI got my grey 1/35 scale T-rex today and I love it!  The sculpt is beautiful!  As for posing it and stuff I guess I need to fiddle with it more because I can barely get anything to move and I'm having a very hard time getting it to stand without a support under his chest.

I think I was expecting a hollow toy like the mattel dinosaurs, LOL.  Has anyone broken the arms on theirs?  I feel like the arms on mine are very fragile.  Ironically, I think I'll be handling mine less than some of my regular figures.  I kind of wish David would've released solid (non action figure) versions of his sculpts too.  I know that sounds crazy but the sculpts are so beautiful.

I know exactly what you mean. I swear the only articulation the 1/18 needed was the mouth. It's a pretty epic sculpt mostly suited for one pose.  This is where a piece like Mattel's Jurassic World Hammond Collection Rex is a bit more realistic in terms of a play worthy poseable figure.

Andysdinosaurreviews

Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on February 17, 2023, 05:17:51 PM
Quote from: Andysdinosaurreviews on February 17, 2023, 03:26:51 PM

you can try applying clear nail polish inside the hole where the peg goes to tighten it up again.  That trick works for other loose fitting items on toys, it may work in your case too.   

That's a brilliant idea! Thank you! I'll definitely do that and see how it works
Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on February 17, 2023, 06:33:01 PM
Quote from: Pliosaurking on February 17, 2023, 06:20:59 PMIt may be the loose joint

that does sound like the plastic being soft is the problem.  Perhaps the lean is originating at one of the leg's joints.  It's curious that Andy is not having this problem.  Temperature can make a big difference to plastic's softness.  Is the room you have it in quite warm?  Or does it get lots of sunshine on it?

Mine lives in my basement where it's generally pretty cool this time of year. Could be why mine hasn't had that problem at all. I'm hoping once summer hits and it starts getting pretty warm down there that it doesn't become an issue.

DragonRider02

Faelrin

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Fembrogon

They look great! I'm waiting for a Guanlong myself, plus the Old Buck and ceratopsian nestlings.

Flaffy

IDK if I'm just unlucky or not, but both my original and replacement copy of the Yutyrannus has noticeable defects in the mouth region... So far not impressed by the QC on these not inexpensive figures.

The first copy's lips were detatched from the inner jaw, so much so that there's a noticeable tear. Needless to say the mouth doesn't close flush either, an issue for a lipped figure.

The second seems to have all this extra gunk on the teeth, to the point where bubbles have formed. A major scuff can be seen on the postorbital boss too.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: