News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva's Beasts of the Mesozoic Tyrannosaur Series

Started by Faelrin, March 12, 2020, 04:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over9K

I've got a small plastic tote box full of heads, legs, hands, feet, weapons, effect parts, stands, ect, all in labeled baggies.

Eocarcharia

Quote from: Creative Beast StudioI wanted to follow up on the recent fine cut photos I posted for the Beasts of the Mesozoic Dryptosaurus. Having it in hand, I was able to photograph it with the correct arms and test out a few poses as well. The range of motion and balance on fine cuts are limited due to the rigid resin parts and simple friction joints, especially when using the alternate feet. Luckily I found some help with the last pose.

Spoiler

[close]

Quote from: Creative Beast StudioHere's an in-hand look at the fine cut figure for the Beasts of the Mesozoic Tyrannosaur Series wave 2 Bistahieversor and Lythronax! Once again, a little help was needed for that final shot.

Spoiler

[close]

I'll be honest, without the paint I can hardly tell them apart, if at all.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Eocarcharia on February 03, 2023, 10:13:49 PMI'll be honest, without the paint I can hardly tell them apart, if at all.

I kind of feel that way about a lot of them, like the raptor line. The ceratopsians at least have the head ornamentation.

Faelrin

Lythronax is the one with the big fang looking teeth if I recall correctly, and seems to have bigger crests too. Otherwise they do look pretty similar.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Flaffy

Quote from: Faelrin on February 04, 2023, 03:34:27 AMLythronax is the one with the big fang looking teeth if I recall correctly, and seems to have bigger crests too. Otherwise they do look pretty similar.

On a somewhat related note, I beleive it's been found that there's not much basis for the fang-toothed reconstruction of Lythronax. As such, we can't confidently claim that it's a diagnostic feature of the genus. Most likely just some good old tooth slippage.

Faelrin

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy Ah that's a bummer if that's the case. It kind of appealed to me because of that. Also unfortunate since the figure does seem to have going on, as I mentioned earlier.

andrewsaurus rex

tyrannosaurs do look a lot alike, which is not surprising as they are all related.  But you could probably say the same thing about a line of sauropods....I have trouble telling them apart even when they are painted.  One way of differentiating tyrannosaurs is brow crests, which are unique to each species.  But even then the changes from genus to genus can be subtle.  But a combination of brow crest, size and robustness of the skull and body should be enough to figure out who's who, with a bit of practice.

The 2 meter long raptors all look alike to me though...

Sim

Regarding Lythronax's "fang", I saw Scott Hartman say it's present on the specimen but it appears to be a tooth that was soon going to fall out of the mouth.

Sim

As for the 2m dromaeosaurids looking alike, the velociraptorines Velociraptor, Linheraptor and Tsaagan do look like each other, but different to Dromaeosaurus, Zhenyuanlong and Atrociraptor which have shorter and deeper skulls.  Zhenyuanlong also has longer legs than Velociraptor and Linheraptor.  Saurornitholestes has an intermediate snout which is shallow like the velociraptorines but also short like the other dromaeosaurids I listed.  There are some other differences but the ones I listed are the main ones.

Funk

Quote from: Faelrin on November 14, 2021, 01:55:15 AMavatar_suspsy @suspsy Yeah I definitely plan too after I get through my other backlog of reviews first. It isn't 100% complete, but when I bought it earlier this year it had some of the armor pieces with it, which I'll be sure to showcase. I also have Vertigo, Armadon, and Chaos aside from the two above. Need to hunt down the rest eventually.

These toys were also some of the very first dinosaur toys I have memories of playing with, and Talon (and Diablo) were my favorites then and still now. The Primal Rage Talon figures could also very well be the first dromaeosaurid toy with feathers of some kind as it predates the Chaos Effect Velociraptor Archaeopteryx hybrid, and it wouldn't surprise me if it was the reason I warmed up to and accepted feathered dromaeosaurids as far back as the late 2000's when I learned of such when I was still in high school.
Is this in the works? Because I've already begun a Talon review...

Faelrin

avatar_Funk @Funk Go for it. Honestly I just haven't had the interest in doing any of the reviews I planned for quite some time. The past three years have just been so physically and mentally fatiguing for me that I've barely had any spark in getting them done. Can't get to it now that the figure is in storage anyways. I think the only thing I did was take pictures of it way back though.

Funk

Sim

I've been re-assessing which Creative Beast figures I would like to have, as I don't have enough room for everything I like the look of, especially with all the PNSO figures I've been getting.

So, I've removed the BotM Lythronax, Bistahieversor, Qianzhousaurus and Gorgosaurus from my wishlist.  I don't like them enough and I already have a Bistahieversor and Qianzhousaurus, and I don't need the fragmentary Lythronax.  The only real loss is Gorgosaurus but maybe someone else will make one I want which will take up less room than the BotM version.

That leaves four tyrannosaur figures I'm still interested in: Yutyrannus, Albertosaurus, Daspletosaurus and Tarbosaurus.  But it's not easy to pick which to get, especially since atm I fear the neck articulation is too limited, based on how it works and how I've seen it reviewed.  I've also already got a figure of all four of these tyrannosauroids in my collection and usually I don't get more than one figure of a species.  If David had made a Daspletosaurus horneri the choice would have probably been easy for me: get the D. horneri as it's a species I don't have and that I want.  I think if there were a BotM Sinornithosaurus I would pick the Yutyrannus and if there was a BotM Zanabazar I would pick the Tarbosaurus.  If David makes a 1:18 Atrociraptor I might pick the Albertosaurus.

Right now I'm leaning towards getting either the BotM Albertosaurus or Tarbosaurus...

Blade-of-the-Moon

I just got around to opening my 1:18 Tyrannosaurus, It's massive, heavy, looks great with very nice paint apps, it makes  a great statue. Though that is sort of the problem. Everything is great but the poseability and interchangeable parts just don't work so well. The instructions state not to leave it displayed with any leg parts but the main standing legs, it's too heavy otherwise. Neck moves maybe a quarter of an inch, arms have some flexibility and so does the tail, body doesn't seem to move at all? And the mouth moves.  I honestly think if the tail had just been made flexible, mouth and arm motion only it would be fine and maybe cost a bit less?  Just seems to miss the point of what it's supposed to be? Don't get me wrong it's worth what I paid even as a statue.

Pliosaurking

I have a couple things to say about the 1:35 scale WWD Tyrannosaurus.
Firstly it's a beautiful piece and I love the paint scheme. It's a really good size to play around with and isn't a workout moving it around. The articulation works fairly well, although I will definitely say the Ceratopsians have much better articulation, and  The "hoodie doesn't bother me at all, in fact I hardly notice it. I do wish there was a stand or something to prop it up, as I'm not sure how well this will hold up on the base over time. Other than the stability being a bit of a concern, everything else is fantastic about it!
I cannot wait to get the other 3 Tyrannosaurs I backed!

CARN0TAURUS

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you ordered the grey versions and if you wouldn't mind sharing images of your custom paintwork on them.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on February 14, 2023, 09:12:16 PMHey guys,

I was wondering if any of you ordered the grey versions and if you wouldn't mind sharing images of your custom paintwork on them.

I didn't get one, but I've seen some great customs shared on David's Facebook pages.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 15, 2023, 02:50:53 AM
Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on February 14, 2023, 09:12:16 PMHey guys,

I didn't get one, but I've seen some great customs shared on David's Facebook pages.

My social media presence only extends to a handful of forums like this one, never been on any of the social media websites like facebook.  I'll just have to wait to see if any of you guys post your work here.

I saw Andy's video review of his grey 1/35 scale T-rex but unfortunately he didn't post a video of how he painted it to look like Hank from 'prehistoric planet'  I really wish he would have made a video out of that. 

I have a 1/35 grey coming in the mail in the next few weeks and I haven't decided how I want to paint it or even if I want to base it on a show or a movie.  I kind of just wanted to get some ideas for mine.

A while back I was watching youtube videos on paleo art and I found a short video clip of a group of T-rex stalking some plant eaters in a forest, the scheme had a lot of red and black in it and the video looked amazing, unfortunately it didn't occur to me to bookmark the video and I've never found it since.  The animation was so good it almost looked as good as the animation on prehistoric planet.  If I could find it again I think I'd base my grey on those T-rexes on that clip.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Pliosaurking on February 07, 2023, 02:34:32 AMI have a couple things to say about the 1:35 scale WWD Tyrannosaurus.
Firstly it's a beautiful piece and I love the paint scheme. It's a really good size to play around with and isn't a workout moving it around. The articulation works fairly well, although I will definitely say the Ceratopsians have much better articulation, and  The "hoodie doesn't bother me at all, in fact I hardly notice it. I do wish there was a stand or something to prop it up, as I'm not sure how well this will hold up on the base over time. Other than the stability being a bit of a concern, everything else is fantastic about it!
I cannot wait to get the other 3 Tyrannosaurs I backed!

When you talk about stability you are referring to it being off it's base correct?  Or does it also have issues while on it's base?

Pliosaurking

Mine will lean if I only have one solid leg on the base, no matter if another articulated leg is touching the ground. It doesn't right away but if I leave it for say a day it will lean. It doesn't seem like it will fall, but I'm not chancing it. I do wish it came with a clear plastic stand or something to keep it up. Other than this mild issue it's a great figure for sure!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: