News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

David Silva's Beasts of the Mesozoic Tyrannosaur Series

Started by Faelrin, March 12, 2020, 04:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

suspsy

I had a feeling it was going to have that colour scheme. Still kinda wish the T. rex had gotten it instead.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Flaffy

Really loving the colour scheme so far. It's subtle and not overly flashy (looking at you blueberry Toro ;) ), yet striking enough to effectively differentiate it from Tyrannosaurus.

There doesn't seem to be any major changes to the keratin. But on the concept art, it definitely feels a tad bit more pronounced than on the previous model reveal. Hopefully this means the model will be updated to reflect this as well :))

The major change I've noticed is the proportions. Which is definitely more true to the actual animal than on the model. Diminutive arms, massive bobblehead and a robust neck are depicted accurately on the concept art.

Shonisaurus

The prototype tarbosaurus Beast of the Mesozoic looks like an attractive figure, what I don't understand is why now many representations of the tyrannosaurus rex show it as a feathered animal and the tarbosaurus appears as a dinosaur without feathers. The logical thing that members of the same large species were feathered or lacked feathers. I comment on it from my poor knowledge and even total ignorance about the biology of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals in general.

Faelrin

I've updated the first post with it. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing it finalized. Quite fitting for it too, and it will certainly differentiate it from the big bad T. rex itself.

And now after this one is finished, there will be ten genera left to have their colored concept arts done. I'm really impressed with how fast things have been moving along for this, and with how many have been done now. Edit: May be worth adding that it looks like the first one was revealed back in April, and they're nearly halfway done now.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

I hope the next reveal is a feathery tyrannosauroid.

Loon

Quote from: suspsy on August 28, 2020, 12:13:49 AM

Yeah, I'm dying to see the Yutyrannus in 3 dimensions.

suspsy

Quote from: Loon on August 28, 2020, 03:49:49 AM
Quote from: suspsy on August 28, 2020, 12:13:49 AM

Yeah, I'm dying to see the Yutyrannus in 3 dimensions.

We already have the concept art of Yutyrannus to tide us over. I want to see which tyrannosauroid gets to be coloured like a golden pheasant.

Dobber

Quote from: suspsy on August 27, 2020, 03:55:53 PM
I had a feeling it was going to have that colour scheme. Still kinda wish the T. rex had gotten it instead.

Same here

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

suspsy

Flaffy

Not gonna lie, I kinda prefer the WIP version more. The final version feels rather messy, and the golden-yellow belly seems to have been lost.
The dark coloured head and the orange highlights are outstanding though. I just wish the brown on the body was lightened up a smidge.

MLMjp

Flaffy

Quote from: MLMjp on September 01, 2020, 06:22:37 PM
Shouldn't it had a gular pouch?

Afaik the evidence for the punch is anecdotal. So it may or may not have had one. More evidence is needed.

Shonisaurus

(Comment deleted due to duplication)

Shonisaurus

What I do not understand is why the tyrannosaurus rex is represented in modern feathered reconstructions and instead the tarbosaurus, its closest cousin, is represented paleoartistically without feathers. I honestly like more theropods without feathers although that may sound unpopular but I honestly do not understand that difference that is made in modern reconstructions of dinosaur books in which, as I have already said, the tyrannosaurus and the tarbosaurus are represented in a different way I suppose that it will have a scientific explanation already discussed in the DTF, but it perplexes me within my total ignorance of paleontological knowledge.

Leaving that approach on BoTM's tarbosaurus. The tarbosaurus from Beast of the Mesozoic I sincerely like the project to make the sculpture of that theropod so popular among fans of dinosaur collecting and so little treated in the toy world embodied in that great drawing, Beast of the Mesozoic is making a cast of tyrannosaurids unrepeatable in genius, I doubt that any brand of dinosaurs can surpass it in variety and beauty as are its raptors and ceratopsids.

Kaustav Bhattacharyya

Epic! the most fascinating concept-art for the tyrannosaur series. The best Tarbosaurus depiction I have ever seen. Everything is perfect in terms of scientific accuracy. Please bring the concept art of Daspletosaurus next.

I think they also have correction jugal horn position in their T.rex concept art.

Loon

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus the Tarbosaurus is featherless because Silva's Tyrannosaurus is as well. I don't think if an artist does feather their Tyrannosaurus, they'd not do the same for their Tarbosaurus, given how closely related those two are.

Anyway, this thing looks pretty good, but they all have. I've always liked dark colors for Tyrannosaurids, and this really works.

Faelrin

Sorry I was a bit late in updating the finalized pic to the op, but done now.

I think it looks great, and this is definitely going to be one menacing beast. I'm definitely looking forward to the prototype as well and eventually the chance to add this one to my collection as well.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Flaffy

Kaustav Bhattacharyya

Will the Tyrannnosaurs be available in the market between 2022-23 or at least in 2024? I am eagerly waiting for all of them to have a touch with my hands. The most fascinating dinosaur genus for mine all the time. I think that they are trying to do utmost justice with this series, because everybody knows about the passion of dinosaur lovers for tyrannosaurs.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: