You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Prehistoric animals we'd like made, ordered by year named

Started by Sim, March 14, 2020, 06:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

This is an interesting thread! Here's my list. For anything listed in purple, I want a version that is specifically in 1:35-1:40 scale.

1792: American Mastodon
1828: Megaloceros (Unless I'm forgetting a discontinued model, I don't think there is one in my stated size range, yet?)
1894: Megaladapis
1935: Gigantopithecus
1836: Sivatherium
1837: Toxodon
1838: Diprotodon
1845: Procoptodon
1854: Arthropleura
1867: Eurhinodelphis
1885: Camptosaurus
1888: Desmostylus
1904: Centrosaurus
1912: Saurolophus - not sure how to color this, since the Favorite Co. version is just about perfect, but of course it was limited edition
1934: Titanotylopus
1937: Dinopithecus
1956: Aepycamelus
1993: Odobenocetops - apparently an obscure version of this has been made before by Diramax
1994: Ambulocetus
1997: Koolasuchus
1999: Lurdusaurus
2008: Josephoartigasia
2019: Lisowicia

Sim

I don't want to disappoint, but Udanoceratops's back of the skull where a crest could be is not known, so because its appearance appears to be quite uncertain I'm not planning to add it to the list.  Also I'm not going to add species which have a good model of a decent size, purple is only for species made either very big or very small.  I'm not adding Gigantopithecus as a figure of it was made for the Disney brand.

avatar_Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) @Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews), your list includes some interesting animals I'd never heard of before!  Which species of Megaladapis and Eurhinodelphis are you referring to?  I've added Saurolophus angustirostris in green as all versions of it that I know of have some inaccuracy.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Sim on November 29, 2021, 12:18:34 AM
avatar_Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) @Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews), your list includes some interesting animals I'd never heard of before!  Which species of Megaladapis and Eurhinodelphis are you referring to? 

The largest species for each, since that makes them more likely to fall into my scale preferences.
I would also be fine swapping Megaladapsis for Archaeoindris, but I figured Megaladapsis was slightly better known by the public.

Sim

I've updated the list!  I've added both Megaladapis and Archaeoindris.

Halichoeres

Quote from: SBell on November 16, 2021, 05:33:08 PM
Quote from: Sim on November 16, 2021, 05:24:15 PM
Thanks avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres and avatar_SBell @SBell!  I've changed the colour of Scaphognathus and Harpactognathus to blue (= not been made into a figure).  It's weird and sad that no scaphognathine has ever truly been made into a figure.  They are the most dangerous-looking pterosaurs and I think they would sell well.  (I consider Harpactognathus a scaphognathine.)  I hope a company makes a scaphognathine soon.

On a related note, the year that stands out to me in the list in the first post is 1831, the year when the species of Rhamphorhynchus, Dorygnathus and Scaphognathus were named.  It's been over 150 years later and they still don't have a good figure representation.  That really needs to change soon.  Another standout year for me is 2005, the year Buitreraptor, Falcarius and Appalachiosaurus were named.  But I imagine for you two the year that stands out the most is 1843, the year species of Dinornis and Rhizodus were named.

I personally think 2012 is the most important year. avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres will know why!

Ha, considering how fragmentary Bawitius is, I don't think it would meet Sim's criteria for inclusion!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Dinoguy2

Gonna limit this to a top 15...

1. Pterodactylus antiquus 1812
2. Cycnorhamphus suevicus 1855
3. Ctenochasma elegans 1861
4. Anchisaurus polyzelus 1965
5. Hesperornis regalis 1872
6. Ichthyornis dispar 1873
7. Eunotosaurus africanus 1892
8. Longisquama insignis 1970
9. Sordes pilosus 1971
10. Sharovipteryx mirabilis 1971
11. Protarchaeopteryx robusta 1997
12. Protopteryx fengningensis 2000
13. Sapeornis chaoyangensis 2002
14. Scansoripteryx heilmanni 2002
15. Caihong juji 2018
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Sim

Nice list D @Dinoguy2!  I've updated the list in the first post with the species you added.  I too would be happy to see Sordes get made.  I put Protopteryx in blue as as far as I can see there is no figure of it.  It's surprising Pterodactylus is without an accurate figure over 200 years after it was named!  And Rhamphorhynchus and Scaphognathus which are just as important have gone for nearly 200 years without an accurate or any figure respectively.  It's things like these, as well as other species on this list, that make me feel unhappy when companies make fantasy species like Deltadromeus or Mercuriceratops.  There really is no need to resort to species like those when there are so many interesting species known from good remains that lack a good figure.

I've also added some other species I would like made:
1870: Edestus heinrichi - The freaky scissor-mouthed "shark", it's even weirder than Helicoprion!
1954: Dilophosaurus wetherilli - I'm surprised no-one else suggested this!
2001: Gobisaurus domoculus, Hesperosaurus mjosi - My favourite ankylosaur, and a cool sexually dimorphic stegosaur!

Sim

I've added the following two species to the list:

1977: Tuojiangosaurus multispinus - I've added this back to the list as PNSO's versions are inaccurate.
1991: Amargasaurus cazaui - Along with Dilophosaurus I'm surprised no-one else suggested this one.  Maybe that's because we have been offered some beautiful Amargasaurus figures like the PNSO, Carnegie, Battat, Wild Safari...  Unfortunately they are all wrong!  I would like an accurate Amargasaurus.

Sim

I've added the species below to the list, I know people are tired of this species...  But I'm still looking forward to a figure of it that satisfies me and no figure of it is accurate after that recent publication that described its skin!

1985: Carnotaurus sastrei

Gothmog the Baryonyx

I would have asked for Tuojiangosaurus multispinus if you hadn't added it. Would definitely like one that doesn't look like its from the 70s.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Sim

I modified my previous post slightly to reflect S @SidB's good point about there not being definitive figures when there are uncertain qualities.

avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx, PNSO's stegosaurs have usually been very good so I don't know why the Tuojiangosaurus didn't come out as well.  Fortunately it hasn't been made by anyone else so it's possible another company would make a better figure of it.  As for often-made species such as Carnotaurus and Amargasaurus, the companies that could make them are much fewer.

Sim

I've added one more species to the list, it's one of my favourite plesiosaurs:

1874: Muraenosaurus leedsii

Shonisaurus

I do not know if any have already been added before these are the dinosaurs that I would like a company of toy dinosaurs to do,

1997 Sarmientosaurus musacchioi

2021 Stegouros elengassen

1942 Parrosaurus missouriensis

2003 turiosaurus riodevensis

Sim

I've now added Sarmientosaurus, Stegouros and Turiasaurus to the list, the year for each being the year the species was named.  I've looked up Parrosaurus and I can't find that it's known from good remains so I haven't added it.  Let me know if you know otherwise!

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Sim on December 22, 2021, 09:41:32 PM
I've now added Sarmientosaurus, Stegouros and Turiasaurus to the list, the year for each being the year the species was named.  I've looked up Parrosaurus and I can't find that it's known from good remains so I haven't added it.  Let me know if you know otherwise!

If there is news of more complete remains of the parrosaurus I will let you know, although I think you are correct.

Sim

I've changed the colour of Amphicyon to purple as I've become aware a mini figure of it by Joy City exists.

Halichoeres

That made me realize the Joy City figure was missing from my own reference list. Thanks! I've added it as "Amphicyonidae indet." because I don't think Joy City used an actual genus name.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

avatar_indohyus @indohyus, since you reviewed the Joy City prehistoric set I thought it would be good to ask you.  Is the figure you referred to as Amphicyon labelled Amphicyon by Joy City?

indohyus

Quote from: Sim on January 05, 2022, 07:24:30 PM
avatar_indohyus @indohyus, since you reviewed the Joy City prehistoric set I thought it would be good to ask you.  Is the figure you referred to as Amphicyon labelled Amphicyon by Joy City?

It is indeed

Sim

Thanks indohyus! :)  Tim, it looks like you need to modify your list again! :D

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: