You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Prehistoric animals we'd like made, ordered by year named

Started by Sim, March 14, 2020, 06:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

These are some that I would like:

1981: Scutellosaurus lawleri
2019: Asfaltovenator vialidadi
2020: Ubirajara jubatus
2021: Berthasaura leopoldinae

Sim

I've not added Ubirajara as apparently the paper it was named in was never actually published, it was in-press, and it was later withdrawn.  So Ubirajara is not a valid taxon.  I've added all the others you listed though, they're interesting choices!  I think Asfaltovenator is the only allosauroid known from good remains that doesn't have a good figure yet.  It goes to show how well-reprented allosauroids are in figure form!

Sim

I've decided that action figures can count now and I've updated the original post to reflect this.  I've removed Chasmosaurus belli as it has the BotM version which is not inaccurate after all - the skin impression specimen has now been considered a different Chasmosaurus species to C. belli and C. russelli.  I've also removed Dromaeosaurus, Buitreraptor, Linheraptor and Utahceratops as they have their BotM versions.  I've removed Marasuchus as it's only known from fragmentary remains.  Another thing I've done is removed some species no one else has expressed interest in and I've added the following species I'd like made to the list:

1846: Dakosaurus maximus
1974: Zanabazar junior
1999: Beipiaosaurus inexpectus
2009: Tianyuraptor ostromi

Sim

I've removed Lingwulong from the list now that the PNSO version is available.  I've also changed Dreadnoughtus to be in green (=inaccurate representation only) now that the Mattel version is available.

Concavenator

avatar_Sim @Sim What about the PNSO Dakosaurus?

I would like these:

1991: Amargasaurus cazaui
2022: Meraxes gigas
2022: Jakapil kaniukura

Sim

Nice choices avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator, I've added them to the list.  I've also removed one species that only I had expressed interest in.  The PNSO Dakosaurus is D. andiniensis.  The Dakosaurus species on the list is D. maximus, the species that nearly everyone ignores in favour of D. andiniensis.

Sim

I've removed Albertosaurus and Zuul now that Safari's new versions are available. :)

Faelrin

Here are some I'd like to see made some day. Most of these are Cambrian period invertebrates. I might be the only one to want these other then avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres I'd guess, but who knows.

2018 Stanleycaris hirpex (radiodont arthropod from the Cambrian Burgess Shale, etc)
2022 Auroralumina attenboroughii (cnidarian from the Ediacaran Charnwood Forest, England)
2022 Balhuticaris voltae (hymenocarine arthropod from the Cambrian Burgess Shale, Canada)
2022 Discokeryx xiezhi (ungulate from the Miocene, China)
2022 Hanyusuchus sinensis (crocodilian extinct in the Holocene, China)
2022 Parvibellus atavus (panarthropod from the Cambrian Chengjiang Biota, China)
2022 Utaurora comosa (opabiniid from the Cambrian Wheeler Formation, Utah)
2022 Yorkicystis haefneri (echinoderm from the Cambrian Kinzers Formation, Pennsylvania; local to me, and an important find in echinoderm evolution)

Descriptions are to help me keep track of these if I come across this in the future.

Also Kaiyodo made a figure of Thylacosmilus releasing/released this year (and Platybelodon I think, though don't know which species if applicable). avatar_Sim @Sim would you consider that to be too small?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin yeah you've got me pegged, I'd love to see especially the arthopod-ish and echinoderm items on the list.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Concavenator

I would like these as well:

1871: Cryptoclidus eurymerus
1979: Piatnitzkysaurus floresi
1989: Leallynasaura amicagraphica
2005: Jinfengopteryx elegans
2009: Anchiornis huxleyi *
2011: Xiaotingia zhengi
2013: Aurornis xui
2016: Rativates evadens
2017: Serikornis sungei
2019: Hesperornithoides miessleri
2022: Abditosaurus kuehnei

* There was a really nice Anchiornis by Takara, but it's discontinued and super rare to find, the only other option is the PNSO mini which is disproportionate.

Halichoeres

Cryptoclidus is one of those that I'm always expecting someone to make any time now, but they never do! (OK, Simba did, but it hardly counts)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Sim

I've now added all the species you guys have listed.

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin, thanks for telling me about Kaiyodo's mammals, I'm generally not interested in mammals so I hadn't kept up with Kaiyodo's.  I think the Kaiyodo Thylacosmilus and Platybelodon would be small figures, so since you're the one who expressed interest in those two species it's up to you if you consider the Kaiyodo versions to be satisfactory enough to warrant removing those two from the list.

avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator, I'd be interested in a good Cryptoclidus, Hesperornithoides, Jinfengopteryx and Rativates!

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres, I think the time for Cryptoclidus to be made was when Walking With Dinosaurs was airing, since Cryptoclidus was featured in one of the episodes.  Now I don't envision it getting made, unfortunately.

Concavenator

Thank you for adding them, avatar_Sim @Sim

And it seems like Elasmosaurus is the go-to for any company when they want to make a figure of any plesiosaur. Does Plesiosaurus itself even have a good figure?

Sim

There's a couple of good Plesiosaurus figures by Kaiyodo, but I personally don't like figures that can come apart.  I wish Elasmosaurus wasn't chosen for a figure due to its fragmentary remains.  I would very much like to have a figure of Styxosaurus, Plesiosaurus or Cryptoclidus instead.

Faelrin

Oh I forgot I was the one who requested those for the list lol. Thanks for pointing that out.

I guess I'll have a better idea when I can get them in hand after getting a new address. Though I imagine I may have to make do with those regardless since prehistoric and/or extinct Cenozoic stuff seldomly gets made, especially post covid.

I also have Eikoh Platybelodon ordered as well.

That reminds me I also have a lot to add to both my Cenozoic and Paleozoic creature lists a while back. But well it will wait after I get done doing the DinoToyCollector updates as well.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

I've added two species of Champsosaurus that I'd like to the list:

1905: Champsosaurus laramiensis
1933: Champsosaurus natator

Halichoeres

Sim

I am a fan of the Safari toob Champsosaurus actually, I'm very happy they made it.  However its dentition is inaccurate, I think due to being based on an illustration by Nobu Tamura with the same problem, which is shown below:

For comparison below is a version fixed by FunkMonk:

Source for the images: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Champsosaurus_BW.jpg

Sim

I've added the following to the list as I'd like a good figure of each:

1839: Basilosaurus cetoides
1904: Basilosaurus isis
1998: Georgiacetus vogtlensis
2011: Cynthiacetus peruvianus

Halichoeres

Well, today I learned that Cynthiacetus and Georgiacetus exist.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: