News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2013 Figures

Started by Dan, September 24, 2012, 12:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Primeval12

i have both the models that are being retired, that's a good thing. Maybe they're retiring the kentro because it could be dangerous to little kids.

Balaur

Quote from: primeval12 on October 02, 2012, 11:49:15 PM
i have both the models that are being retired, that's a good thing. Maybe they're retiring the kentro because it could be dangerous to little kids.

I forgot to mention, I have the Ambelodon too. Anyways, that might be a reason. Kentro is so spikey kids are being attacked by extinct animals!  :o

But yes, Kentro might be dangerous to little children. As it was in life.

ZoPteryx

Why is Safari releasing a new color pattern of the old Brachiosaurus?  Two brachis in production seems a bit redundant. :-\

That's sad about the Kentro, the only positive I see is that perhaps it will be replaced by an even better verison.  Extreme ditto on the Suchomimus! :o

Quote from: SBell on October 02, 2012, 06:44:02 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 02, 2012, 06:00:31 PM
I dunno about everyone else, but I am super excited to know what CollectA's line up for 2013 is going to be. They shocked us all back at the beginning of 2012, let's hope they do it again.

All that is known at this point, is don't expect a big wave of new figures this year. I guess they had to take a break sooner or later!

Darn!  Oh well, I'll take quality over quantity in this case. ;)

SBell

Quote from: Gwangi on October 02, 2012, 11:46:05 PM
Yup. Sounds look a good excuse to get both the Kentro and Ambelodon. I didn't even realize the Ambelodon was still in production, everyone I've seen has been expensive. Is there anyone that sells them for the standard Safari price?

I have some at the T.rex Centre store. They're about to go up in price! ;D

Seijun

I really did not like the kentro so I am not sad to see it go. I don't own one yet, but in the stock photos it does not look significantly different from your average dollar store stegosaurid. Goofy face, big clunky elephant feet, obnoxious solid green color...
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Gwangi

Quote from: SBell on October 03, 2012, 12:22:49 AM
Yup. Sounds look a good excuse to get both the Kentro and Ambelodon. I didn't even realize the Ambelodon was still in production, everyone I've seen has been expensive. Is there anyone that sells them for the standard Safari price?

Well that's not good...for me.

alexeratops

I have the kentro, but when I went to the chicago Field museum i saw the ambelodon and didn't know it was going to be retired! :'( I should have gotten it! >:(
like a bantha!

Allosaurus89

Good thing I got my Kentro and Ambelodon when they were still in production, and the Suchomimus too, even if it is kind of atrocious lol

Seijun

alex and others: The kentro, sucho, and ambelo are still easy to find for sale online, at the moment. I just bought all three from Safari's official store.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

SBell

Quote from: Gwangi on October 03, 2012, 02:20:04 AM

I was just kidding you know.
Quote from: Seijun on October 03, 2012, 12:25:14 AM
I really did not like the kentro so I am not sad to see it go. I don't own one yet, but in the stock photos it does not look significantly different from your average dollar store stegosaurid. Goofy face, big clunky elephant feet, obnoxious solid green color...

I don't know why you would say that--it's a very well done figure.

Balaur

Quote from: SBell on October 03, 2012, 06:04:55 AM

I agree with SBell. It's very beautifully sculpted.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Seijun on October 03, 2012, 05:19:32 AM
alex and others: The kentro, sucho, and ambelo are still easy to find for sale online, at the moment. I just bought all three from Safari's official store.

You must be a completist  :)

tanystropheus

The face is a bit crude, no?

http://www.dinotoyblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Kentro4.jpg

I did check out the FameMaster 4D Kentrosaurus--I appreciate its dynamic stance, and I agree that they would make an interesting trio.

Seijun

Maybe I will think differently when I see it in person, but from stock (and owner) photos, the color, head, and front feet all look terrible to me.

tanystropheus: Yes, I am a completest. I often with I wasn't, but on the other hand it is very neat to see how different companies evolve, looking over completed collections of their figures.

STORMnlNIJMEGEN

@ Gwangi

at a shop here in holland is the price for the ambelodon very normal

they ask 6.49 euro's for it

Martien
The Return Of The Mammoth's

Horridus

The inclusion of the old brachiosaur in the new Safari catalogue isn't just a mistake, then...? Even if the old one is really Giraffatitan, and they are different animals, it would be weird to bring that model back. It's just not up to the new standard of the line.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

postsaurischian

Quote from: Seijun on October 03, 2012, 09:00:24 AM

Maybe I will think differently when I see it in person, .......

I'm pretty sure you will ;).

tanystropheus

Quote from: postsaurischian on October 03, 2012, 10:50:45 PM
Quote from: Seijun on October 03, 2012, 09:00:24 AM

Maybe I will think differently when I see it in person, .......

I'm pretty sure you will ;).

Y'know, CollectA figures look appreciably better in person. I've recently picked up the Therizinosaurus, Utahceratops and Doli and have noticed that at least Utahceratops and Doli look sharper and more refined in real life as opposed to their photographed form; there is probably some subtle texture warping going on with the camera lens (and intrinsic to the the camera angle, sorry I'm not familiar with photography jargon).  It also helps that the CollectA figures are actually quite diminutive. I wonder if this is the case with the WS Kentrosaurus.

tanystropheus

Quote from: SBell on October 02, 2012, 06:44:02 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 02, 2012, 06:00:31 PM
I dunno about everyone else, but I am super excited to know what CollectA's line up for 2013 is going to be. They shocked us all back at the beginning of 2012, let's hope they do it again.

All that is known at this point, is don't expect a big wave of new figures this year. I guess they had to take a break sooner or later!

Well, I hope that CollectA will offer qualitatively consistent figures for their 2013 wave(s). CollectA's 2011 and 2012 line up (although, ambitious) was all over the map.

tanystropheus

I'm not sure if the 2013 Gryposaurus will sport teeth in accordance with the latest scientific research, but at least the Papo Parasaurolophus (which sports teeth) has been more or less vindicated  ;):

http://www.latimes.com/news/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-duckbilled-dinos-had-hundreds-of-complex-teeth-20121004,0,6835221.story

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: