News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2013 Figures

Started by Dan, September 24, 2012, 12:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

Quote from: balaurbondoc2843 on October 07, 2012, 08:24:24 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 07, 2012, 08:21:47 PM
QuoteOh, well, let's hope it will blow our minds like they did this year from being horrible to going above Carnegie level. Maybe protofeathers on Daspletosaurus?
Has there been a Daspleto with protofuzz preserved? If not, then I hope they don't make one with them.

The discovery of Yutyrannus shows that feathers would have been able to be on large tyrannosaurs. It isn't impossible that Daspleto had protofuzz, but there os no evidence apart from big duzzy Yutyrannus. If no fuzz is present, I'll be fine, but it would be cool.
I'm aware of that, but Yutyrannus lived in a colder climate.

Gryphoceratops

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 07, 2012, 08:25:15 PM
QuoteOh, well, let's hope it will blow our minds like they did this year from being horrible to going above Carnegie level. Maybe protofeathers on Daspletosaurus?
Has there been a Daspleto with protofuzz preserved? If not, then I hope they don't make one with them.

The discovery of Yutyrannus shows that feathers would have been able to be on large tyrannosaurs. It isn't impossible that Daspleto had protofuzz, but there os no evidence apart from big duzzy Yutyrannus. If no fuzz is present, I'll be fine, but it would be cool.

That's not really a good enough reason to assume it didn't have feathers at all.  If that was the case then ostriches would be naked. 

Before the discovery of yutyrannus I would say its up in the air.  Now I say tyrannosauroids more than likely all had some sort of feathering on their bodies judging by the fossil record.

tyrantqueen

Well I prefer to wait until fossil evidence is found ::)

Gryphoceratops

Quote from: Takama on October 07, 2012, 05:37:30 PM

Pacycephalasaurus: I guess a Juvinile wasent enough

Are you referring to the dracorex they did a while back?  That was years ago and its a different looking animal whether or not its a growth stage or a separate species.  Pachycephalosaurus is a welcomed animal they were due to make in my opinion.

Gryphoceratops

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 07, 2012, 08:34:57 PM

Sure.  But in the mean time the most scientific way of reconstructing an animal is by referring to evidence found on its closest relatives and that's feathers.  We have nothing but evidence of feathers when it comes to tyrannosauroids.  Why reconstruct them with anything else "until further evidence is found".?

Patrx

Indeed. If it's a theropod, feathery integument ought to be the default unless fossil evidence is discovered proving that they were not present. The only reason for all-scaly tyrannosaur reconstructions at this point is nostalgia, not science.

tyrantqueen

Haven't we found scaly imprints of theropod skin in the past? Or is that just my imagination?

Patrx

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 07, 2012, 08:53:23 PM
Haven't we found scaly imprints of theropod skin in the past? Or is that just my imagination?

I think there are some Carnotaurus skin remains that've been found, but beyond that, I don't know. Even there, though, I don't know where on the animal the skin is from, and since scales and feathers can coexist in the same area of the body (and feathers are much less likely to be preserved), it's tough to rule out feathers entirely, if you ask me.

Gryphoceratops

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 07, 2012, 08:53:23 PM

There are large scale imprints on more distantly related theropods including carnotaurus and I believe allosaurus.  Nothing like that has ever been found on a tyrannosauroid let alone any other theropod belonging to coelorosauria. 

There are small bumpy skin imprints from a tarbosaurus foot but they are very fine, only about the consistency of the bumps on a basketball, not large and mosaic shaped like those found on hadrosaurs, ceratopids and the more distantly related theropods listed above.  The animal still very well could have had feathers in some form since even birds have scales on their feet anyway. 

Like Pixelboy said, feathers and scales can coexist on the same part of the body as well. 

Balaur

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on October 07, 2012, 08:37:57 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 07, 2012, 08:34:57 PM

Sure.  But in the mean time the most scientific way of reconstructing an animal is by referring to evidence found on its closest relatives and that's feathers.  We have nothing but evidence of feathers when it comes to tyrannosauroids.  Why reconstruct them with anything else "until further evidence is found".?

I partially agree with tyrantqueen, we need more evidence, but speculation from evidence of the feathers in Yutyrannus can be applied to tyrannosauroids.

Anyways, lets get back on topic of 2013 figures. So, when will we know what Papo is releasing next year?

Gwangi

I'm excited about Daspletosaurus, it is about time really. I'll reserve most of my judgement regarding these figures until pictures are released. The line up is pretty standard but if they're well made I won't care. CollectA released a lot of figures this year and only about half impress me, many were let downs. If all of these new dinosaurs meet the standards of the better CollectA released from this year that will be great. A Yutyrannus would have really been nice though, I thought for sure CollectA would be all over that. Seeing as how I don't own a single CollectA 2012 release I cannot complain about the limited quantity.

Regarding feathers, I'm in the same boat as those who think tyrannosauroids had them. All the evidence seems to point it it and that evidence keeps validating the theory. It is hard to change the image of such an iconic animal after all these years but if science says it is so than there isn't much we can do about it. I'm not in favor of ignoring evidence and honestly I welcome any feathered dinosaur.

Aram-Rex

Really excited about collectA's Deinotherium. Looking forward to seeing the image. When will they be posted?

Takama

Quote from: Aram-Rex on October 07, 2012, 09:53:40 PM
Really excited about collectA's Deinotherium. Looking forward to seeing the image. When will they be posted?

Dan said a few weeks. So i guess it wont be untill November

juju1305

Quote from: Dan on October 07, 2012, 04:43:42 PM
Mr. Beeson has kindly offered to share the official species lineup for CollectA 2013.

CollectA 2013 lineup revealed (photos coming in a few weeks)

Standard range:
Diabloceratops
Daspletosaurus
Diplodocus
Pachycephalosaurus

Deluxe:
Parasurolophus
Ankylosaurus repaint

Prehistoric beasts:
Deinotherium

If all of them are up to the standards of their best releases of the year, I guess this is a very nice line-up, despite being more mainstream than their 2012 one...

Aram-Rex

It's gonna be a long time. I have a question. There's a big toy store right across the street here in my country, and they are selling there Schleich models. There is that huge brown T-Rex that is standing really upwards. I want to know if you guys would've recommended me buying it or not. I'm not quite sure so I'd like to know what are your views on that figure.

Takama

Quote from: Aram-Rex on October 07, 2012, 10:15:36 PM
It's gonna be a long time. I have a question. There's a big toy store right across the street here in my country, and they are selling there Schleich models. There is that huge brown T-Rex that is standing really upwards. I want to know if you guys would've recommended me buying it or not. I'm not quite sure so I'd like to know what are your views on that figure.

It depends on you tastes.  A tone of us hate that figure, but i bought it Because it reminds me of a B Movie style dinosaur

Yutyrannus

I am 99.9% sure that ALL tyrannosauroids had at least some protofeathers, so I really hope that the Daspletosaurus is feathered.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Yutyrannus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 07, 2012, 08:25:15 PM

So did Daspletosaurus.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Aram-Rex

What about the new green one? I think It's pretty decent.

Takama

That one, I like the most, though i think its a bit static in pose

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: