News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2013 Figures

Started by Dan, September 24, 2012, 12:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrantqueen

QuoteThere are large scale imprints on more distantly related theropods including carnotaurus and I believe allosaurus.  Nothing like that has ever been found on a tyrannosauroid let alone any other theropod belonging to coelorosauria.

There are small bumpy skin imprints from a tarbosaurus foot but they are very fine, only about the consistency of the bumps on a basketball, not large and mosaic shaped like those found on hadrosaurs, ceratopids and the more distantly related theropods listed above.  The animal still very well could have had feathers in some form since even birds have scales on their feet anyway.

Like Pixelboy said, feathers and scales can coexist on the same part of the body as well.
Okay, not wanting to beat a dead horse, but what about gigantothermy? Elephants don't have fur, and they live in a hot climate.

QuoteSo did Daspletosaurus.
I'm pretty sure the climate of Canada was much different millions of years ago than it is now.

alexeratops

Quote from: SBell on October 07, 2012, 05:18:31 PM
Quote from: Takama on October 07, 2012, 04:59:57 PM
Quote from: Dan on October 07, 2012, 04:43:42 PM
Mr. Beeson has kindly offered to share the official species lineup for CollectA 2013.

CollectA 2013 lineup revealed (photos coming in a few weeks)

Standard range:
Diabloceratops
Daspletosaurus

Diplodocus
Pachycephalosaurus

Deluxe:
Parasurolophus
Ankylosaurus repaint

Prehistoric beasts:
Deinotherium

WTF is that all there makeing?  :o >:(     Please tell me these are just teasers, Please :'(

I already told you all that the 2013 line was going to be shorter.

Also, the Neandertals that we saw are not being released--they were just prototypes that were used for display dressing or something.

Quote from: alexeratops on October 07, 2012, 04:45:10 PM
CollectA can do better. >:(

This is what keeps decision-making people from actually listening. Seriously. You haven't even seen the sculpts, and have already decided that CollectA can do better? Based on what?

What i mean is that i think that they could make more dinos, not how they look.
like a bantha!

John

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 07, 2012, 11:25:02 PM
QuoteThere are large scale imprints on more distantly related theropods including carnotaurus and I believe allosaurus.  Nothing like that has ever been found on a tyrannosauroid let alone any other theropod belonging to coelorosauria.

There are small bumpy skin imprints from a tarbosaurus foot but they are very fine, only about the consistency of the bumps on a basketball, not large and mosaic shaped like those found on hadrosaurs, ceratopids and the more distantly related theropods listed above.  The animal still very well could have had feathers in some form since even birds have scales on their feet anyway.

Like Pixelboy said, feathers and scales can coexist on the same part of the body as well.
Okay, not wanting to beat a dead horse, but what about gigantothermy? Elephants don't have fur, and they live in a hot climate.

I'm pretty sure the climate of Canada was much different millions of years ago than it is now.

On the subject of tyrannosaur skin impressions,here's something that may be of interest to those here:

dml.cmnh.org/2004Oct/msg00025.html

And on the subject at hand,the name that exites me the most on CollectA's list is Diplodocus. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Gwangi

But elephants aren't hairless. I don't think anyone is suggesting that tyrannosaurs had to have had dense coats of feathers but some sort of feathering would have likely been there. Maybe it was dense, who knows, the evidence suggests they had something though.

CM

I quite like the Megacerops from this year, so I have high hopes for the Deinotherium.

Gryphoceratops

Elephants definitely have hair.  Like Gwangi said I'm not saying all large tyrannosauroids had a thick coat of feathers but they more than likely had some sort of plumage according to the fossil record at hand.  That being said your argument using climate is moot.

If I were to entertain your point anyway parts of Canada (Daspletosaurus) and Alaska(Gorgosaurus) were probably seasonally colder during the Cretaceous.  Yes, Canada was much different millions of years ago than it is now but it wasn't hot year round either. 

@John, That is the skin I was talking about thank you.  It says there the texture is very fine pebbly skin, not much like the thick mosaic-style scales that have been found from other non-avian dinosaurs. 

tanystropheus

Well, this is interesting. We now have options!

3 different Deinotheriums (Bullyland, Mojo, and CollectA). Return of the Megathingy? or more aptly, Deinothingy ("terrible-thingy", literal translation)?

Quite possibly 3 different Diabloceratops, assuming that Papo actually integrated the suggestions from the DTF thread (winners: Carnotaurus, Diabloceratops).

I'm generally quite wary of CollectA theropods (signature elongated caricatured heads), but I must admit, Daspletosaurus skull proportions would provide a very suitable match for  CollectA:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_suJISe9cyFY/TFRANJm_nRI/AAAAAAAABHE/kSaANHktTVM/s1600/Daspletosaurus025.jpg

SBell

Quote from: tanystropheus on October 08, 2012, 01:11:58 AM

3 different Deinotheriums (Bullyland, Mojo, and CollectA). Return of the Megathingy? or more aptly, Deinothingy ("terrible-thingy", literal translation)?

Quite possibly 3 different Diabloceratops, assuming that Papo actually integrated the suggestions from the DTF thread (winners: Carnotaurus, Diabloceratops).

I'm generally quite wary of CollectA theropods (signature elongated caricatured heads), but I must admit, Daspletosaurus skull proportions would provide a very suitable match for  CollectA:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_suJISe9cyFY/TFRANJm_nRI/AAAAAAAABHE/kSaANHktTVM/s1600/Daspletosaurus025.jpg

As with many things, until we hear any actual word from Mojo, don't assume they are doing anything--those were just winning suggestions on facebook, which put them at the top of their probably list, but nothing is for sure until we see at least a list (better yet, an image).

But a herd of deinotheres would be fantastic! Hopefully they are just different enough to look like individuals within a herd, and at least one of them gender neutral to be a female (the Bully is certainly male, and given CollectA's past, I'm guessing that the Deinotherium will be definitively gendered as well).

Yutyrannus

I know it was different, but it was stillpretty cold in the winter. Still I think there is enough evidence to say confidently that all tyrannosauriods were at least PARTIALLY feathered.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

ZoPteryx

Interesting line up from CollectA next year.  Hopefully the smaller number of figures will mean we'll see huge increases in quality.  I'm most excited for the Daspletosaurus (personally, I hope it has feathers), Pachycephalosaurus (There aren't really any real good ones), and the deluxe Parasaurolophus (ditto Pachy comment).  The Deinotherium and Diabloceratops are interesting choices, I wonder how they'll compare to Mojo's probable Deinotherium and Safari's Diablo.  Not too excited about the Diplo, unless it's big and has a good pose.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Ikessauro on October 07, 2012, 06:24:59 PM

Now let's wait for pics and the Papo announcement of their 2013 line (maybe they will release info a bit earlier as the other companies did...  yeah, I know, it's very unlikely).

I would imagine that Papo had a very strong year with respect to sales, and they haven't even released the Brachiosaurus :o Thus, I would naturally expect a robust line-up for 2013.

tanystropheus

Quote from: SBell on October 08, 2012, 01:48:41 AM

But a herd of deinotheres would be fantastic! Hopefully they are just different enough to look like individuals within a herd, and at least one of them gender neutral to be a female (the Bully is certainly male, and given CollectA's past, I'm guessing that the Deinotherium will be definitively gendered as well).

Ditto. A complete set/herd of deinotheres would be quite a sight! :)

anchry6

Hello,
I just want to clarify that I sent 13 messages on the suggestions of the DTF.  :-\ But I never received a response. This does not mean that they have not heard I'm just saying do not be so sure that the two figures we asked for.  ::)

:D

DinoToyForum

Quote from: anchry6 on October 08, 2012, 10:34:46 AM

Hello,
I just want to clarify that I sent 13 messages on the suggestions of the DTF.  :-\ But I never received a response. This does not mean that they have not heard I'm just saying do not be so sure that the two figures we asked for.  ::)

13!? Crikey! I bet papo love you :P I'd have taken the hint at two: one in the first place and maybe a second a few weeks later to ask if the first one was received. ;D Anything else is just asking to get you blacklisted.

anchry6

Quote from: dinotoyforum on October 08, 2012, 01:14:38 PM

Hello,

13!? Crikey! I bet papo love you :P I'd have taken the hint at two: one in the first place and maybe a second a few weeks later to ask if the first one was received. ;D Anything else is just asking to get you blacklisted.

In fact, I sent an email with only the first two names of the dinosaurs .. Because I was afraid of being late already!
After 15 days I sent an email to summarize a bit as they were specified and described the dinosaurs (as mentioned in the first email).
After a month I have not received a response I sent emails asking the same answer (I also wrote the site and significant numbers of members of the forum).
After another month, I started to write an email to find out if it was the right place for one week. After a while I started to solicit feedback.
Then I stopped.  :-\
Boh ...  ::) I hope that they have read the mail and they have not only the time to respond.  ;)
We'll see in December if they have heard or not ...  ;D
I hope that at least one of the two is what we have requested.  :) ^-^

SBell

Quote from: dinotoyforum on October 08, 2012, 01:14:38 PM

Hello,

I was thinking the same thing--in general, companies are happy to get suggestions (although Papo has never demonstrated that) but nobody is going to be happy being repeatedly suggested to.

anchry6

You're probably right, but consider that they were sent in six months and I have never received a response. So I'm worried that they had not read my email. Also because I know for a fact that always respond to suggestions and I did not understand why they have not done with me..
Anyway, thanks for the suggestion for the future. ^-^

Roselaar

Not many Collecta figures for next year, but it'll do. I didn't expect Collecta to keep topping itself every year, and I consider us to be lucky to get the huge numbers of figures we got from them so far. It also saves me a lot of money next year. :)

I hope the Diplodocus in standard size will result in a similar figure as the Argentinosaurus, i.e., still a fairly large figure. Otherwise, it would just be underwhelming I fear. The Daspletosaurus is a good choice, and I do hope they finally get a Theropod fully right this time, since Collecta's track record on Theropods is not fully satisfying (though they did give us some good ones). Diabloceratops will undoubtedly be a good sculpt, hopefully equalling or surpassing Safari's Diabloceratops. As for a deluxe Parasaurolophus, wouldn't have been my choice, but I'm game. The Ankylosaurus repaint I will pass on though. I got high hopes for the Deinotherium, especially after this year's Megacerops!

Collecta 2013: good haul, but it appears 2012 was Collecta's high point so far. (Unless of course Collecta has hugely advanced in quality in just one year, but I like them as they are now too. :))

Arrancon

Quote from: Dan on October 07, 2012, 04:43:42 PM
Mr. Beeson has kindly offered to share the official species lineup for CollectA 2013.

CollectA 2013 lineup revealed (photos coming in a few weeks)

Standard range:
Diabloceratops
Daspletosaurus
Diplodocus
Pachycephalosaurus

Deluxe:
Parasurolophus
Ankylosaurus repaint

Prehistoric beasts:
Deinotherium
Well... looks like I'll only be getting a Daspleteosaurus next year, unless the Pachy's good. But yeah, I'm am dissapointed, not because of how few there are, just that I wish there were more obscure dinos that I don't have.

Horridus

Given how the T. rex turned out this year, I can't say I'm too optimistic about that Daspletosaurus. But we'll see.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: