News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2021

Started by Halichoeres, October 05, 2020, 03:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaptorRex

I believe they are not allowed to disclose who other sculptors are. It makes sense that the Spinosaurus wouldn't be sculpted by Doug Watson, as from what I've read his sculpts are planned a couple of years in advance, so what I'm thinking is that they contracted another sculptor to quickly put out a Spinosaurus to bank in on the 2020 paper buzz.

terrorchicken

I like all 3 but especially the baryonyx since I missed out on the Favorite version and it's practically its double...

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Really disappointed to learn the Dino Dana tie-ins are just re-releases of older T. rex figures with an A.R. component.
They could have at least given them a flashy Luis V Rey style repaint that's more characteristic of the colors used in the TV show.

Shonisaurus

The dinosaur of the three that I like the most and for me is the most anticipated of the dinosaurs of Safari 2021 is without a doubt the daspletosaurus, the tyrannosauroids other than tyrannosaurus rex are my favorite theropods along with the abelisaurs like the rajasaurus, rugops or majungasaurus.

Halichoeres

Quote from: RaptorRex on November 21, 2020, 01:04:26 AM
I believe they are not allowed to disclose who other sculptors are. It makes sense that the Spinosaurus wouldn't be sculpted by Doug Watson, as from what I've read his sculpts are planned a couple of years in advance, so what I'm thinking is that they contracted another sculptor to quickly put out a Spinosaurus to bank in on the 2020 paper buzz.

Yeah, I think that's right.

Related to that, I wonder if there's a big backlog of things that didn't quite get through all the production steps this year but will be ready for 2022. I hope Safari has strong enough sales in the interim to make that possible.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Wandering

Is it just me or does the Baryonyx's paint scheme look similar to the old re-construction of the dead Baryonyx in the Natural History Museum in London?  the reconstruction is London is duller in color and more wrinkled but I can't help but feel Safari's Baryonxy took a lot of inspiration from it...

Doug Watson

Quote from: Wandering on November 22, 2020, 04:14:14 AM
Is it just me or does the Baryonyx's paint scheme look similar to the old re-construction of the dead Baryonyx in the Natural History Museum in London?  the reconstruction is London is duller in color and more wrinkled but I can't help but feel Safari's Baryonxy took a lot of inspiration from it...

Well I just had to google it because I didn't know what you were talking about so no I wasn't inspired by it. The best photo I could find of it actually looked light green on top and lighter underneath with no pattern at all. Maybe it's been repainted since that photo.

Wandering

Quote from: Doug Watson on November 22, 2020, 04:40:58 AM

Well I just had to google it because I didn't know what you were talking about so no I wasn't inspired by it. The best photo I could find of it actually looked light green on top and lighter underneath with no pattern at all. Maybe it's been repainted since that photo.

OOoooh okey, it was just something I was remained of when I saw your work, I had a feeling you where the sculpture when I saw the full photos, I'm very impressed!

Shane

I imagine a lot of kids who grew up in the 80s/90s are familiar with this model because it showed up a lot in those "Eyewitness" dinosaur books for kids.

It always struck me as more grayish than the colors on the Safari Baryonyx.

A lot of folks seem quick to jump on anything with any amount of counter shading (dark above, light below) as "inspired by" or "ripping off".

Counter shading is common, folks.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Shane on November 23, 2020, 02:40:09 PM

I imagine a lot of kids who grew up in the 80s/90s are familiar with this model because it showed up a lot in those "Eyewitness" dinosaur books for kids.

It always struck me as more grayish than the colors on the Safari Baryonyx.

A lot of folks seem quick to jump on anything with any amount of counter shading (dark above, light below) as "inspired by" or "ripping off".

Counter shading is common, folks.

Thanks for that, I have to admit I am a little touchy about the whole "inspired by", "does anyone else think it looks like" comments. They read like "gotcha"  moments. And no I didn't have a copy or photo of the Favorite Baryonyx in front of me when I painted mine. When I sit down to paint my dinosaurs I typically have 5 to 6 new pieces in front of me so I not only have to try and make each one different from the other, I also try to make them different from my past pieces and the competition. I am human and I am sure images I have seen in the past influence me on a subconscious level but I don't sit there with a photo of the competition and try to copy it. Every artist has a pallet and in the case of dinosaurs mine mainly consists of earth tones since most large extant animals exhibit those colours. I do often sit down with an image of a reptile or bird that I like and try to interpret those patterns. For my Daspletosaurus I just wanted to do something green for a change and sure it looks similar to my Sue pieces that were purposely patterned after the Field Museum painting since that is what they asked for but for the Daspletosaurus I tried to change it up. As far as I can remember the only homage that I have done on my own to some one else's work was the Elasmosaurus where I used the green and yellow counter shading that was used in many of the Brooke Bond cards in the 60s. So there is my rant, I feel better now.

Duna

I really love your elasmosaurus, avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson :) I purchased it last year.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Duna on November 23, 2020, 05:15:04 PM
I really love your elasmosaurus, avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson :) I purchased it last year.
Glad you like it. It was also fun working with Dr. Admin on it.

Dinoxels

Nice to hear about the process that goes behind these figures Doug.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Shonisaurus

The dinosaur that I like the most of the three figures from Safari 2021 is without a doubt the daspletosaurus, it is the daspletosaurus that I have always dreamed of as a figure and honestly the best daspletosaurus that exists today on the market. I am in awe of how you describe your process of making your dinosaurs, the level of work and effort you invest in your task is amazing. It's no wonder your figures are top rated by Prehistoric Times magazine.

Wandering

I guess I didn't think what I said  there would come off the way it did... sorry guys, I was mostly just saying I was reminded of it and I wondered if it was a source of inspiration, clearly not though and for the best.  I've always loved Baryonyx and I'm very happy with this long over due replacement for the Carnegie model.   :))

Doug Watson

Quote from: Wandering on November 24, 2020, 08:05:58 AM
I guess I didn't think what I said  there would come off the way it did... sorry guys, I was mostly just saying I was reminded of it and I wondered if it was a source of inspiration, clearly not though and for the best.  I've always loved Baryonyx and I'm very happy with this long over due replacement for the Carnegie model.   :))

Hey I wasn't all that upset about your original comment I was more annoyed by other comments about comparisons to the Favorite paint job and your comment and Shane's response were just a catalyst to get me going. I had a similar rant on here years ago when Dan LoRusso was coming under fire. This one will hopefully be my last I won't be doing this much longer. Glad you like the Baryonyx. :)

GojiraGuy1954

Just solidifies my hate for that spino even further.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

BlueKrono

Hate, huh? Just don't buy it bro. I think it's a very attractive figure of one of my favorite dinosaurs, and I'll be picking it up once it's released.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Wandering

Quote from: Doug Watson on November 24, 2020, 01:56:29 PM
Quote from: Wandering on November 24, 2020, 08:05:58 AM

Hey I wasn't all that upset about your original comment I was more annoyed by other comments about comparisons to the Favorite paint job and your comment and Shane's response were just a catalyst to get me going. I had a similar rant on here years ago when Dan LoRusso was coming under fire. This one will hopefully be my last I won't be doing this much longer. Glad you like the Baryonyx. :)

I completely get it though, collectors can be overly critical and nitpicky.  And do you mean to say that you won't be doing sculpting for toy companies anymore? It that's the case you've definitely left behind a considerable legacy to be proud of and your work will be sorely missed.   :'(.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: