News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mojo Fun general discussion

Started by Stegotyranno420, October 22, 2020, 07:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegotyranno420

So me and my good friend ? @Stolpergeist  were having a conversation about mojo figures, talking about how overlooked they are. so I thought maybe they deserve a general discussion thread.

NOTE: DONT JUST  COME HERE TALKING ABOUT HOW MUCH YOU DISLIKE MOJO. WE GET IT, THEY ARE CHEAP AND STUFF

I will start us off by saying that the 2019 triceratops and 2020 brown triceratops are amongst the best triceratops figures, after the safari and battat models

Lanthanotus

I do not have them, but I agree, that brown one is a stunner. I also like their brontotherium and the Allosaurus - though I have to admit I customized that one by shortening the toes and filling out the preorbitals a bit.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Lanthanotus on October 22, 2020, 07:53:00 PM
I do not have them, but I agree, that brown one is a stunner. I also like their brontotherium and the Allosaurus - though I have to admit I customized that one by shortening the toes and filling out the preorbitals a bit.
i hope you got the sculptural detail right :D

Shonisaurus

Mojo's triceratops are a beauty but perhaps the one I like the most of all the triceratops Mojo is its "vintage" version is one of my favorite triceratops.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Stolpergeist on October 22, 2020, 08:59:56 PM
You probably wouldn't want to be friends with me but agreed, the 2019 Triceratops is phenomenal.
The brown 2020 one is okay too but a bit of a downgrade compared to its predecessor.
what do you mean, i consider you along with avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus , P @PlesiosaurusNessy , avatar_Loon @Loon , and pretty much all the authroities like avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum among my best friends on the forum. A @Andysdinosaurreviews is more of a friend on youtube , but he too is a great buddy.

GojiraGuy1954

I don't like Mojo stuff all that much. I prefer the better quality and more detailed companies such as Papo, Safari LTD, Rebor and Nanmu Studio.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Stegotyranno420

I kinda like nanmu and rebor but both have their own flaws
Nanmu:focuses on solely Jp/JW products and are sky high prices

Rebor: Pretty expensive, yet only equal to other companies in quality, altough some figures are stand outs, but are still pretty expenisve

and lets remind him that this thread is about Mojo figurines

stargatedalek

Quote from: Stolpergeist on October 22, 2020, 10:01:06 PM
I don't exactly get the Nanmu hype and most REBOR products end up inferior to Papo while costing 10 € more.
Also I don't know what the point was to bring those two up.
They make collectibles.
Mojö is a toy company and is in recent days on a par with CollectA.
On par with CollectA in what regard? Detail? Scientific Accuracy? Originality? I'd agree with the former and would entertain arguments to the latter, but there is simply no way Mojo and CollectA's current offerings are equivalent in regards to accuracy.

Mojo makes fun toys, some with some pretty cool and original designs to be sure, even if the majority are more generic. There is nothing wrong with that, and a few have certainly tempted me over the years; but they don't get a lot of attention here because they end up falling between the expectations of the two more prominent collector markets we see.

Companies like Safari, Favorite and CollectA (in their current state mind you) have collectible appeal despite existing primarily in a traditional toy market due to their scientific rigour (even if not perfect [Favorite are particularly variable]). While Papo and PNSO occupy a middle ground somewhere (both in pricing and marketing) between a traditional toy and a specialized collectible such as NECA and the like.

These brands are effectively the forums "bread and butter" aside from licensed JP content which exists more or less in its own little bubble, and Schleich which was effectively grandfathered into any animal collectible context, and so these brands have left people with relatively particular expectations.

Most collectors looking at the "toy brands", are expecting scientific accuracy, while collectors interested in dramatic or fun stylized depictions have in large part already committed to going all in on more detailed collectibles, or at least are accustomed to the higher detail (and price) of Papo. And Schleich are not free of some responsibility here either, as their mass ubiquity leads to anything not being found in every single specialty store feeling like a collectible that needs to be sought out or ordered online.

While it's not fair to compare Mojo to collectible brands like REBOR or Nanmu, it makes sense that that's where peoples thoughts go because when speaking from the perspective of collectibles they are going to get the attention of the people who are already invested in those sorts of brands.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Stolpergeist on October 23, 2020, 12:43:24 AM
Correction; old CollectA, there we go.
You're right, current CollectA is even in the process of exceeding Safari in some regards as of now with stunning offerings such as their current southern white rhinoceros, hippopotamus, Iguanodon and megalodon.
Though I was more thinking of Mojö currently undergoing the transformation CollectA went through where we observed a sudden leap forwards in quality.

Also my point is just that you can't really compare Nanmu or REBOR which are exclusively meant as expensive collector items with brands that target an audience that consists of children and general wildlife enthusiasts with a thinner wallet.
REBOR and Nanmu models are not toys.

Sorry, I'm just... really tired and English isn't my first language so I'm phrasing things weirdly.
That makes sense, and I certainly don't disagree. I'm not trying to defend the comparison, just extrapolating on why I think it does make sense that people so often seem to go there (I've seen it at least a few times now).

Takama

Mojo does not get the respect it deserves in 2020.  Yes, there models are still inaccurate, but there way better then the Tail draggers they created when they first came onto the scene in 2012(or is it 2013?).

The way i see there newer releases is as a less realistic Papo (Flashy Colors), and there less concerned with acuracy.

Shonisaurus

Rebor and Nanmu would never advise a person with children. They are brands for adults.

Nanmu has pointy figure parts and small parts that can injure children Regarding Rebor(at best if not worse) and can cause suffocation to children. For example I think of the small parts of the velociraptor.

It is somewhat of the same thing but with the difference that they have removable figures, such as the tail (Nanmu also has it) and the same thing mentioned before (danger of suffocation for children). Rebor, Nanmu, PNSO, W-Dragon, Beasts of the Mesozoic, Itoy, Kaiyodo, Colorata, and Vitae are intended for an adult audience.

Regarding Safari figures, Collecta, Papo and Favorite are intended for a young audience, but not for children, and collectors are honestly often adults.

Schleich, Mojo or Recur are intended for all audiences but especially children. From my point of view.

That does not mean that some figures that I have commented on the different scales of dinosaur marks in the last three paragraphs are still compatible with being collected by a child or an adult.

Stegotyranno420

One thing worth noticing is how the 2020 giganotosaurus is the skull is very similar to the recent Scott Hartman reconstruction

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Stolpergeist on October 22, 2020, 11:07:44 PM
Quote from: Stegotyranno on October 22, 2020, 10:29:57 PM
and lets remind him that this thread is about Mojo figurines
Honestly, this is exactly what was talked about in the forum etiquette thread.
Listing which companies you like more doesn't really contribute to the topic.
Mojö still has its flaws as they are only beginning to drag themselves out of the mud so one could rather talk about that instead of just flat out saying that you don't like the models without stating why.
Standing issues, ugly sculpts, bad material, ugly paintjobs, etc

This is all mostly based on the Blue Baryonyx that they made

Loon

I don't dislike Mojo, but they're definitely near the bottom of the toy companies I actually pay attention to, somewhere below Schleich and Papo (at least I have figures from them).

That being said, at one time I did have some of their prehistoric mammals, and I quite liked them. Unfortunately, even these good figures have been far surpassed by other companies' releases. Now, I only own a pangolin from them, which I wouldn't have bought if I saw Safari's first.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Loon on October 23, 2020, 08:29:32 AM
I don't dislike Mojo, but they're definitely near the bottom of the toy companies I actually pay attention to, somewhere below Schleich and Papo (at least I have figures from them).

That being said, at one time I did have some of their prehistoric mammals, and I quite liked them. Unfortunately, even these good figures have been far surpassed by other companies' releases. Now, I only own a pangolin from them, which I wouldn't have bought if I saw Safari's first.
I honestly think they are going through the same steps as collectA
remember(well not me, i was too young at the time and only knew about papo safari and schliech)  when collectA just made a bunch a popular animals with the oacasionall obscure dinosaur, and then they slowly went from cheaposaurs to one of the best companies there is.  Mojo is like a intermediate. The Scott Hartman giganotosaurus skull, the mandschurosaurus and mamenchisaurus and the 2 triceratops are all indicators that mojo is finally coming out of the cradle

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Stegotyranno on October 23, 2020, 06:30:48 PM
Quote from: Loon on October 23, 2020, 08:29:32 AM

I honestly think they are going through the same steps as collectA
remember(well not me, i was too young at the time and only knew about papo safari and schliech)  when collectA just made a bunch a popular animals with the oacasionall obscure dinosaur, and then they slowly went from cheaposaurs to one of the best companies there is.  Mojo is like a intermediate. The Scott Hartman giganotosaurus skull, the mandschurosaurus and mamenchisaurus and the 2 triceratops are all indicators that mojo is finally coming out of the cradle

That's actually an interesting take. I hope you're right.

Stegotyranno420

? @Stolpergeist thats exactly why i brought collectA into the post

Loon

Hopefully they are more like CollectA than Schleich. They've actually put out a few decent figures this year, and are definitely headed in the right direction. I mean, just compare the Troodon and even the Deinonychus to that feathered "Velociraptor" they made a few years back. Heck, I've even been half tempted by a few of their recent figures (Mamenchisaurus, Mandschurosaurus). They're definitely improving in accuracy and sculpting, let's just hope the paint follows suit.

Stegotyranno420

also, did anyone notice how their allosauruses look very similar to the MesoZoo version, which is like a adult

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Stolpergeist on October 23, 2020, 10:44:54 PM
Not much apart from being grey, the Mojö one has an Allosaurus fragilis skull and midline feature scales running down to the tail tip, the Mesozoo one has these scales stop at the middle of the torso and is an Allosaurus europaeus as the crest shows.
Now that you said it, it looks extremley different haha

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: