News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

By the way, avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon , congratulations on your immanent piecing of the 12,000 posts frontier. We haven't seen that before!

Pachyventer

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: SidB on June 15, 2021, 09:07:57 PM
By the way, avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon , congratulations on your immanent piecing of the 12,000 posts frontier. We haven't seen that before!

Thanks! Man I feel old..

SRF

But today, I'm just being father

Concavenator

I haven't found any in hand pics of the Tarbosaurus yet.

Psittacoraptor

Glad to see that the Yutyrannus turned out great. I didn't expect the Tarbosaurus to be half the price of Wilson. I'll wait for in-hand pics of the Tarbo, and if it's good I'll get both Chuanzi (or rather Chuanky ;D) and Yinqi the feathered Tyrant.

SRF

Quote from: Concavenator on June 16, 2021, 09:24:51 AM
I haven't found any in hand pics of the Tarbosaurus yet.

I haven't either, but I don't mind taking the gamble with this one.

SidB

SRF

Quote from: SidB on June 16, 2021, 12:21:35 PM
Quote from: SRF on June 16, 2021, 06:57:38 AM
Quote from: Pachyventer on June 16, 2021, 05:17:45 AM
Ta-da-a-am! The Tarbosaurus by PNSO is on Ali's Model Toy Center:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002826455246.html?spm=a2g0s.imconversation.0.0.6be53e5f1IdhUl

Besides, there's the Yutyrannus for sale, as well:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002827471356.html?spm=a2g0s.imconversation.0.0.158a3e5f9f6lpk

Thanks, I've ordered both right away!
I also, one from Dan's, the other from La-na-time Shop.

I've got them both from Model Toy Center on AliExpress. My Online Toy Store has them in stock as well now, but they've sent me a message about it after I already ordered them.

Could have gotten the Yutyrannus for about €1,30 less at My Online Toy Store, but the Tarbosaurus is significantly cheaper at Model Toy Center (I always purchase them with the retail box) so I'm happy with my purchases.

Kaustav Bhattacharyya

Can anyone explain me that theropod feet had no bird like scales which I have heard elsewhere. But in a paper I saw thatconcavenetor had that. Can anybody explain me this issue, the models still bear bird like scales in the feet.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Kaustav Bhattacharyya on June 16, 2021, 01:57:51 PM
Can anyone explain me that theropod feet had no bird like scales which I have heard elsewhere. But in a paper I saw thatconcavenetor had that. Can anybody explain me this issue, the models still bear bird like scales in the feet.

I think the issue is that the scales on the feet of Concavenator are small and nearly square in multiple rows. For some reason people think bird-like scaled means big rectangles that span the foot like in ostriches but many birds are different. Concavenator scales were more like chicken feet, but also a lot like alligator feet. Theropods tend to always get depicted with ostrich-like scales. There was probably a fair amount of diversity just like in modern birds.

Chicken feet: Concaventator was similar to this.

Alligator foot: Actually, Concavenator is MOST similar to this, as it's scales are more square than those of many chickens.

Ostrich legs: Theropods often all get restored like this.

The PNSO Tarbosaurus has small scutes in multiple columns so it is similar to Concavenator and not generic ostrichopod. So it's about as accurate as can be expected for a family with no skin impressions from the foot.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

SenSx

I'm also curious about the scale of that PNSO Yutyrannus, because I am hesitating between this one and the Safari version with a color scheme I like better.
Which one is closer to 1/35 scale ?
The safari looks a lot smaller :/

Thanks !

stargatedalek

Tarbosaurus does have impressions from the underside of the feet, which look exactly like the smaller scales we see on bird feet. So Tyrannosaurs definitely didn't have fully "scuted" big scales like alligators where the large scales go all the way around. And it makes sense Concavenator wouldn't have either, even if the shape matches the alligator scutes more than birds covering them completely in larger scales is not ideal for walking.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: stargatedalek on June 16, 2021, 05:26:19 PM
Tarbosaurus does have impressions from the underside of the feet, which look exactly like the smaller scales we see on bird feet. So Tyrannosaurs definitely didn't have fully "scuted" big scales like alligators where the large scales go all the way around. And it makes sense Concavenator wouldn't have either, even if the shape matches the alligator scutes more than birds covering them completely in larger scales is not ideal for walking.

Right, I was talking exclusively about the tarsal scutes. The rest of the foot is well known to be pebbly in dinosaurs from lots of skin impressions and footprints.

Quote from: SenSx on June 16, 2021, 04:58:36 PM
I'm also curious about the scale of that PNSO Yutyrannus, because I am hesitating between this one and the Safari version with a color scheme I like better.

Thanks !

Is there a comparison image? From my measurements, the Safari Yutyrannus is 1/40. Most PNSO figures are 1/25-1/30 range so if the Safari is "a lot" smaller than PNSO, I'd guess it is in that range as well.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

SenSx

Quote from: SenSx on June 16, 2021, 06:10:20 PM

Quote from: SenSx on June 16, 2021, 04:58:36 PM

Thanks !

Is there a comparison image? From my measurements, the Safari Yutyrannus is 1/40. Most PNSO figures are 1/25-1/30 range so if the Safari is "a lot" smaller than PNSO, I'd guess it is in that range as well.

Ok thanks, so  they are equally as close to 1/35 in a their own way (smaller and bigger).
I think I'll get the Safari as I prefer the paint job and the pose.

Pachyventer

This post from the Chinese forum shows some first pics of the Tarbo:
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/7408074638

Flaffy

SRF

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy you've just beat me to it, I was doing a post with the same pictures. :)

Impressive model, this Tarbosaurus indeed seems to be even bulkier than Wilson. Can't wait to compare them side by side myself.

ITdactyl

Those are very nice comparison shots.

Maybe he just seems bulkier/barrel-chested/pot-bellied because the head is smaller in proportion to the torso (compared to the Tyrannosaurus)?

Callophrys

That Carchara has one heck of an overbite in the second-to-last photo! That's rather put me off it.

Love the Tarbosaurus though, even with the rather bland paintjob.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: