News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New For 2021

Started by Takama, December 02, 2020, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

Quote from: Concavenator on June 11, 2021, 08:19:38 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on June 11, 2021, 07:21:13 PM
Most of those comparisons are actively unfair. Dilong was what, around 4-6 feet long? At that scale the scales can be as big or small as the sculptor wants them to be. Same for Sauropelta, it's a small enough animal that at the size the figure is the scales can be made pretty big or highlighted and it's not unrealistic. And while the large scutes of the AAOD Australovenator are extremely unlikely in themselves, it too is at a much larger scale than any of the recent PNSO theropods.

The CollectA Mamenchisaurus does have oversized scales, but it also doesn't try to highlight them. They are relatively discreet and blend in, just like PNSO's current large theropods.

I don't see how they are unfair. I just mentioned 3 examples of representatives from the theropods, ornithischians and sauropodomorphs groups that generally seem to be popular in this forum and that I have never seen anyone ever point that issue. On the other hand, when it comes to the 2020 PNSO Wilson, I have seen the claim that it has too big scales (which is true) so many times to the point that almost every time someone talks about that figure, that point is brought, and that's extremely unfair, when for other figures that issue is often overlooked or simply ignored.

The reason why it's never pointed out is:
1) Ceratopsians did have large scales
2) Even when the scales are oversized, they're much less pronounced on the examples listed compared to the corn-cob textured Wilson. The only figures I would agree with having Wilson levels of inaccurate integument would be the Tuojiangosaurus, along with the neck of Miragaia; where similarly to Wilson, the muscle definition, skin folds and subtle sculpted detail are mostly obscured excessive, oversized scale detail. An issue that has already been commonly pointed out and joked about amongst the chinese collecting community.
3) The extreme focus PNSO themselves placed on the supposed research behind their sculpting choices on Wilson just put a magnifying glass on the inaccuracies present on the figure. Zhao's video clearly demonstrates that PNSO is aware of the minute size and shape of Tyrannosaur scales, but this amount of care and precision is unfortunately not seen on their initial trio of theropods in 2020. Moreover, the scales on the initial 3 theropods feel particularly pronounced compared to previous offerings with similarly oversized scales, akin to pebbles glued onto skin rather than naturalistic scales.
4) Direct skin impressions of Tyrannosaurus and Carnotaurus makes PNSO's choice to ignore such important fossil evidence puzzling.

And when it comes to the Dilong, I'm sorry if I was misunderstood, but I wasn't referring to the relative size of the scales, I was referring to the fact that it has a scaly face. That is very typical of older representations of feathered dinosaurs, and it's odd they opted to give the Dilong a scaly face when all the other feathered tyrannosaurs from the line have feathered faces. I personally find this off-putting and just for that, if I end up getting any figure from that line, it'll be another one. One aspect in which the PNSO Yutyrannus is superior to Safari's is because of the feathered face.

I don't believe we have evidence of a feathery face on Dilong itself. I think the closest you'll get is the small patch of filament on the lower jaw, everything else is entirely known at the moment. I've brought up the issue of the naked lower jaw to David already, but the rest of the face is fair game in terms of scaliness of fluffiness.

SRF

I think this discussion will come to no end until PNSO has released a new Rex with (for some) proper scale details. And then we'll probably have two camps on the presence or no presence of lips or feathers.

In the meantime, lets just appreciate the fact that PNSO continuously tries to improve themselves and enjoy the models they've made to show it, like the Tarbosaurus.

Edit: or the Yutyrannus for that matter. For those who have Facebook, Paleofiguras posted a lot more in hand pictures of the Yutyrannus, including some comparisons with other figures. There are 27 pictures in total, so too many to post here. They do give quite a good idea on the size of this Yutyrannus. I'm really excited for this one as well. The Yutyrannus and Tarbosaurus have all the potential to become my two favorite theropods from PNSO, and that says a lot.
But today, I'm just being father

GojiraGuy1954

Tarbo looks kinda awful. I hope this isnt a new trend for PNSO, but it seems that quality is going down and prices are going up.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Faelrin

avatar_SRF @SRF Thanks for sharing that here for more looks at it. Yeah that looks so good I could not be happier. It even surprisingly goes super nicely with the Rebor Ceratosaurus base. I mean well worth the $39 in my opinion but I'll patiently for Aliexpress to save where I can because this hobby is already pretty expensive.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

SRF

I've just got a reply from My Online Toy Store on AliExpress that the Yutyrannus will be available from the 18th of June. So that's good news. Apparently the Tarbosaurus will be available a week after its release on Amazon in the stores on AliExpress as well!

SidB

Skorpio V.

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on June 12, 2021, 12:57:18 PM
Tarbo looks kinda awful. I hope this isnt a new trend for PNSO, but it seems that quality is going down and prices are going up.

Hard agree, I reckon it's a new sculptor. Seems like There've been 3/4-ish styles PNSO have taken over the years and they're all so distinct you'd think they're all from different companies.

There's that smooth, air-brushed painted style taken with the 1st Bieber, the Spinops, and the minis among other things.
Spoiler
[close]

Then there's the rough, hip-bone-jutting out, rugged style of the first Wilsons, the first Essien, the Giganotosaurus, etc.
Spoiler
[close]

Then there are the sleek, perfect silhouettes but corn-cob scaled style with Winter Wilson, the Miragaia, the Carnotaurus, etc.
Spoiler
[close]

And finally, the minuscule, detailed scaled style which I think consistently has weird-looking pelvises, as in their Allosaurus, the 2nd Biber, and this Tarbosaurus but otherwise are great.
Spoiler
[close]
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

SRF

Quote from: Skorpio V. on June 12, 2021, 11:06:49 PM

Hard agree, I reckon it's a new sculptor. Seems like There've been 3/4-ish styles PNSO have taken over the years and they're all so distinct you'd think they're all from different companies.

There's that smooth, air-brushed painted style taken with the 1st Bieber, the Spinops, and the minis among other things.
Spoiler
[close]

Then there's the rough, hip-bone-jutting out, rugged style of the first Wilsons, the first Essien, the Giganotosaurus, etc.
Spoiler
[close]

Then there are the sleek, perfect silhouettes but corn-cob scaled style with Winter Wilson, the Miragaia, the Carnotaurus, etc.
Spoiler
[close]

And finally, the minuscule, detailed scaled style which I think consistently has weird-looking pelvises, as in their Allosaurus, the 2nd Biber, and this Tarbosaurus but otherwise are great.
Spoiler
[close]

Paleofiguras posted something today on Facebook on the sculpting process of PNSO. Apparently Zhao Chuang prefers to sculpt models at a larger scale (maybe even life sized?) and a team of other sculptors makes those into figures on a smaller scale. So it could well be that the PVC figures we end up with are finished by different sculptors. It could also be that they just went with some different choices in how to develop a larger model into a smaller figure, with a different skin texture as final result as time goes by.

SidB

Multiple sculptors, in part, might well account for the considerable output volume of figures, as well as varying styles. It is a great strength, as well as a possible weakness at times.

Takama

Speckles Chuanzi the Tarbosaurus Added to the First Post

Shonisaurus

It's fabulous! At last a more than acceptable tarbosaurus will replace its Favorite limited version counterpart on many shelves. It is the best tarbosaurus of all time on the toy market. It is good that toy dinosaur companies are launching into the commercialization of tyrannosauroids other than tyrannosaurus rex I honestly do not understand how companies like PNSO and the rest of companies that are starting to sell dinosaurs have not done in this case PNSO case a dinosaurs other than tyrannosaurus rex, hooray! now there is a yutyrannus and a beautiful tarbosaurus both.

I believe without a doubt that the sale of dinosaurs like the tarbosaurus is going to be a commercial success as if the tyrannosaurus rex were sold. The figure is very bulky that tarbosaurus will be just as successful for children as for adult collectors.

On the other hand, I hope that they will commercialize the zhuchengtyrannus and finally I believe that PNSO is taking risks (it is to be appreciated in the first place) but so much continuous commercialization of toy and high-collection dinosaur figures (bronze dinosaurs) can take their toll as a company, already that not everyone can buy all their figures, including myself, I even bought the sauropelta and I was left with the desire to buy the machairoceratops and the other dinosaurs that followed this collection. There is no economy that can maintain the expense of so much product even if it is of the high quality of PNSO, I like the dinosaur figures of PNSO, GR Toys or Nanmu for putting three companies but you have to be moderate and frugal when buying figures. In my case, I will wait for Christmas to make purchases and allow myself the pleasure of having a collectible figure.

Without a doubt, PNSO is doing a colossal job, although the plastic it uses to make its figures, such as the atopodentatus or the lambeosarus, to give two examples, is extremely rigid, and very prone to breaking, for me that kind of figures but if the children play with those figures more typical of collectors, I suppose that they will break these products and the parents will replant buying more PNSO figures for their sons / daughters, ideally, especially the theropods for commercial purposes were made of a more material. flexible and with fixed bases like the ones that the Collecta brand used to do, but it's just an opinion.

Scientifically, I cannot give my opinion as other members of DTF, but it is good that in this forum and in the rest they are very critical of the figures of dinosaurs, in this case the tarbosaurus, so that in this way the merchants make more attractive and / or more scientific figures. I like all the constructive and even harsh criticisms that DTF members are making with the aspect in this case of the tarbosaurus, in my case I would point to another which is the material, the figures especially of PNSO theropods need a more malleable material, resistant to the bumps and breaks and above all that over time the legs do not bend and their figures have stability problems such as the museum version PNSO yangchaunosaurus whose lack of sustainability in my collection is a complete disgrace and I have had to resort to using glue to keep this figure stabilized as I already mentioned in another thread.

Apart from the critical negative scientific details in my case, I also point or add the criticism about the PVC material although in my case it is not a problem, for me it is a blessing since they seem to me to be figures of dinosaurs more than adult people as is my case. If they want to sell to children they should use other materials.

Kaustav Bhattacharyya

I am eagerly waiting  for another version of the wnter wilson with finer skin details just like their latest theropod figures. It is the most wanted theropod figure forever.

Andre

I would love to get a Deinocheirus to go with the Tarbosaurus, now.. please, PNSO!!

SRF

Quote from: Kaustav Bhattacharyya on June 13, 2021, 05:00:10 PM
I am eagerly waiting  for another version of the wnter wilson with finer skin details just like their latest theropod figures. It is the most wanted theropod figure forever.

Only if they make it a totally different figure with a different pose and coloration. Otherwise it would be kinda dirty from PNSO if they made an improved version of Winter Wilson so shortly after the initial release.

Carnoking

Well REBOR's got some news for you. Might want to check that thread!

suspsy

Quote from: Carnoking on June 13, 2021, 06:06:34 PM

Well REBOR's got some news for you. Might want to check that thread!

Meh. It looks nice, but as I already noted in that thread, it's just a preliminary design at this stage. Even if it does become a real physical figure in the future, there's no guarantee that it'll top Wilson in terms of sculpting detail. About the only thing it has going for it right now are lips.

But as I also noted, we shall have to wait and see.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Carnoking

Hopefully they don't trip at the finish line and add some nutty detail. If they keep it relatively smooth though, then it'll have the scale integument on Wilson as well. But don't want to get too off topic now.

JohannesB

Just for fun (and because I love my theropods to have their mouths closed), I photoshopped it:

The fact I like this figure so much has to do with a combination of things that sit right with me (whatever their ultimate correctness regarding proportions, lips, integument and fleshy tissue). I think I like this figure even more than PNSO's (late 2020) Tyrannosaurus rex. I do understand that some people think it looks weird, but I guess I love weirdness if it comes in this shape. Would this shape not fall within the realm of the possible?

Thialfi

Just curious, what makes you say tarbo looks awful?

Bread

I very much prefer this Tarbosaurus over Winter Wilson! This looks gorgeous and unique! I hope PNSO keep up this sculptor's fantastic work (if this is indeed true about multiple artists).

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: